May I recommend a good book?

Options
124»

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    For all you men who like war history get Forgotten solider, it's about a half French half German guy who was in the 3rd Reich and was on the last convoy of food and supplies trying to get to the 6th army in Stalingrad, they never make it and then they become the hunted all the way back to Berlin, really good account of the disrtuction of 6th army and the fall of Hitler's Germany.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi all. Reading about your book conquests.
    I haven't read for ages and now that I have got fed up with Sidoku, I have a pile of books I'm reading.
    I'm into the middle of Julie Walters. Have read only up to chapter 3 and thought, I think I will write a story of my life. our lives are very parallel.
    I like all Patricia Cornwell's book. In fact any kind of Thriller. I'm reading Scarpetta and can't wait to read her new one The Scarpetta factor. And then, on the lighter side, Alan Titchmarsh is brilliant with Folly.
    I've got to try and get one of those book holders so that I can balance the book on my chair. I find it very painful holding them.

any advice?

joy
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it Chris - Secret Scripture is now on my list and will also look out for Torey Hayden Trish.

I've read Folly but it was a bit lightweight for me, I feel Alan Titchmarsh is a better gardener than author - sorry Joy - that's not to put anyone off, it was a good story but more of a holiday read :oops: just my opinion :oops:

Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris - one of my favourites - she's the author of Chocolate.

Has anyone tried Ken Follett - I enjoy all his books and they generally appeal to men and women alike. Pillars of the Earth was particularly good - not historically correct - but a real page-turner.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    I loved Blackberry Wine Legs! Have you read "Lollipop Shoes" -again Joanne Harris? Another good read is "Little Face" - Sophie Hannah........Ange.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi Linda
    Yes, I agree with you about Folly. Especially after Patricia Cornwell. There are times though, when you need something light.

I've read most of the Follet books I think.

I've not read that much fiction until now. Have been following quite a few biographies, John Thaw. Oh gosh still think what a great actor and writer he was. Want the biographie by Sheila next.
    Know what I shall be doing this winter apart from painting.

all the best
    joy
  • lindalegs
    Options
    That's Lollipop Shoes and Little Face also on the growing list - this is proving to be a great way of finding new authors and titles I might enjoy.

(I always Wikipedia the book titles first just to see if I think they're my type of book as it gives a sum-up of the story - although if you try this don't read too far down the page as it sometimes gives the end away too :roll:)

Thanks fellow readers.

Luv Legs :D:D
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    joyful164 wrote:
    Hi Linda
    Yes, I agree with you about Folly. Especially after Patricia Cornwell. There are times though, when you need something light.

I've read most of the Follet books I think.

I've not read that much fiction until now. Have been following quite a few biographies, John Thaw. Oh gosh still think what a great actor and writer he was. Want the biographie by Sheila next.
    Know what I shall be doing this winter apart from painting.

all the best
    joy

Hi Joy,

I've heard Sheila Hancock's biography is very good, another which has been recommended to me is Brenda Blethan's (sp?) ....and please call me LuvLegs again, it always made me smile :D .

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    joyful164 wrote:
    Hi all. Reading about your book conquests.
    I haven't read for ages and now that I have got fed up with Sidoku, I have a pile of books I'm reading.
    I'm into the middle of Julie Walters. Have read only up to chapter 3 and thought, I think I will write a story of my life. our lives are very parallel.
    I like all Patricia Cornwell's book. In fact any kind of Thriller. I'm reading Scarpetta and can't wait to read her new one The Scarpetta factor. And then, on the lighter side, Alan Titchmarsh is brilliant with Folly.
    I've got to try and get one of those book holders so that I can balance the book on my chair. I find it very painful holding them.

any advice?

joy
    Joy
    If you enjoy listening to books on CD, some libraries loan these free to anyone who has difficulty with books. This is often those with poor sight but also applies in many other cases. It depends on your local authority but from your post above you would certainly qualify for them in North Yorkshire. Would probably need a signature from someone in the health profession to register, but they are generally happy to do it. Just a thought.
    Chris
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    For all of you who like the nasty crimey thrillery ones, try those by Faye Kellerman. Her husband also writes thrillers (Jonathan Kellerman) but I haven't read any of his.
    Annie
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Just had to recommend this book! "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Steig Larson. One of the best books I`ve read for a long time, and there are two others to follow. Sadly, he died recently......Ange.