May I recommend a good book?

Options

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Films usually disappoint me when I've read the book first - the characters never live-up up to how I've seen them in my imagination. :roll:

I, too, enjoyed 'My Sister's Keeper' - a brilliant twist at the end and it makes you glad we have an NHS system here.

Just looking at my books and wondering which to read next - I feel like a child in a sweet shop, do we have shops that solely sell sweets anymore - I can't think of any? ... sorry off at a tangent :shock:

Happy reading all.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Legs,

I think there are still the occasional sweet shop........ I find the sweet bit of every shop I go in...... C.h.o.c.o.l.a.t.e.........( there isn't a floating emotion!) :lol::lol:

I read a really good trilogy when my eyes still worked, it was called Duncton Wood and if you like thing like Lord of the Rings (which I do) its a good set........

How you doing today?

Luv

Cris who's mental age hasn't quite made double figures! xx :lol::lol:
  • lindalegs
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Legs,

I think there are still the occasional sweet shop........ I find the sweet bit of every shop I go in...... C.h.o.c.o.l.a.t.e.........( there isn't a floating emotion!) :lol::lol:

I read a really good trilogy when my eyes still worked, it was called Duncton Wood and if you like thing like Lord of the Rings (which I do) its a good set........

How you doing today?

Luv

Cris who's mental age hasn't quite made double figures! xx :lol::lol:

D'you remember when we were kids the thrill of standing in a sweet shop and trying to make a decision and the mind blowing excitment of a toy shop - actually there are still those aren't there - e.g. Toys R Us ? :roll:

Have only read and enjoyed The Hobbit - though the films of Lord of the Rings were fantastic so I've made a note of Duncton Wood for when I'm out shopping. Have you read The Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman - excellent first two books but lost it a little on the third novel (Amber Spyglass) These are books aimed at chiildren but I thoroughly enoyed them.

k040.gif

Luv Legs who's reached her dotage and keeps drifting off into the past :roll:

PS Had a rough night, woke up looking for the herd of buffalo that had stampeded me in the night - but feeling much better now - thanks. How you doing?
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    kathbee wrote:
    Tried to get into

The Time Traveller's Wife

Unfortunately my brain could not follow
    the plot at all, so gave it up after a page or two.

Wonder what the film is like, anyone seen it yet?

Kath
    Hi Kath
    I LOVED the time traveller's wife! It was brilliant once you accept the blokey isn't a pervert!!
    Off to see the film tonight so my hubby promises.
    I love this thread don't you? Gives you such good ideas!
    Toni x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Legs,

Think your buffalo may have stampeded this way too...... I woke up with big swollen wrists and ankles for a change :wink: not sleeping too good either, still my tablets may work soon eh? :roll:

I read the Golden Compass but not the others, I'd forgotten about them so will look out for them. I just thought another good book, though bit weird as its a kids book again :shock: Is the Owl service....

Luv

Cris who used to love going to the village shop and getting a 6d bar of CDM..... It tasted different but it didn't have as many varieties....... Guess who still addicted! :lol:

OH Toni,

Meant to look out the midnight folk for you, remind me next time please. xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Legs,

Think your buffalo may have stampeded this way too...... I woke up with big swollen wrists and ankles for a change :wink: not sleeping too good either, still my tablets may work soon eh? :roll:

I read the Golden Compass but not the others, I'd forgotten about them so will look out for them. I just thought another good book, though bit weird as its a kids book again :shock: Is the Owl service....

Luv

Cris who used to love going to the village shop and getting a 6d bar of CDM..... It tasted different but it didn't have as many varieties....... Guess who still addicted! :lol:

OH Toni,

Meant to look out the midnight folk for you, remind me next time please. xx
    Hey Cris
    Don't credit ME with a brain-cell!!
    Will try to remind you :wink:
    Toni xx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hey Cris
    Don't credit ME with a brain-cell!!
    Will try to remind you :wink:
    Toni xx[/quote]

....... Legs has got mine :wink::lol::lol: xx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Doh, sorry ..... just mislaid it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Luv Legs XX
    Love, Legs x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Legs,

My next recommendation will really make you see you need to find my brain cell....... :lol::lol:

I was thinking other books I love are The Father Christmas Letters by Tolkien and how did I forget Winnie -the-pooh...... or a House at Pooh corner and When we were very young and Now we are 6....... :lol::lol:

How is things? Has your buffalo stampede syndrome calmed down now, I hope so

Luv

Cris who has read some adult books but just can't remember the names...... :wink: xx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Legs,

My next recommendation will really make you see you need to find my brain cell....... :lol::lol:

I was thinking other books I love are The Father Christmas Letters by Tolkien and how did I forget Winnie -the-pooh...... or a House at Pooh corner and When we were very young and Now we are 6....... :lol::lol:

Luv

Cris who has read some adult books but just can't remember the names...... :wink: xx

Hi Cris,

Buffalos have disappeared into the ether and I had a good night last night - although I did treat myself to a couple of paracetamols before I went to bed - I also put boxing gloves on them to ward off any noctural buffalos.

a045.gif

I've found your brain cell and am sending it back via Fed Ex as another children series you would like is The Deptford Mice, three books entitled The Dark Portal, Crystal Prison and Final Reckoning - in fact I shall loan you one of my brain cells as you need to be 8+years to read them. :lol::lol:

Luv Legs who's on the look out for other lost brain cells :D
    Love, Legs x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Legs,

I shall go mug a child for it and thanks for the loan of your brain cell :wink:

Glad your buffalo's behaved :D

Luv

Cris who is not her self today having got all emotional xx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Legs,

Luv

HAVE A GOOD BREAK SKIEZIER AND LINDA LEGS FROMJOANNE
    Joanne
  • skezier
    Options
    You To Joanne xx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Legs,

Luv

Here's my shoulder and hankie Cris - have a good blow and you'll feel better very soon, I promise.

XX
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Legs,

Luv

HAVE A GOOD BREAK SKIEZIER AND LINDA LEGS FROMJOANNE

Thanks Joanne, we'll be back together before we know it - and I actually might get some chores done for a change

Love, Legs x
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    "Nobbut a lad" by Alan Titchmarsh

Well, I even surprised myself when buying this book, but I had heard it was good!

Not an autobiography, this entertaining book recalls boyhood memories of growing up in a Yorkshire village. Its so easy to read as each chapter tells a different story - no plot to follow.

I usually read something from it just before I go to sleep, and often its had me laughing out loud and I've just had to read a passage out to my OH.

A lovely reminder of those carefree childhood days growing up in the 50's.

Jackie
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    Options
    I,ve just read a Dan Brown book called the lost symbol
    I couldn,t put it down,
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi :)

Have only just found this one as it has popped back up since I joined. Had to go back to the beginning, some really good suggestions ta, must track down the Water for Elephants one. I love a bit of everything but confess to having read all of Jodi Picoult she does face some dilemmas. Debbie you were quick of the mark with the new Dan Brown and looking forward to getting that soon.
    Have too many favourites to mention. Am currently reading Gervaise Phinn books, he's a bit of a James Herriott but was a school inspector, they are really a laugh.
    There are so many lovely childrens books out there now, but one of my favs as a child was Stig of the Dump. Does anyone remember it or am I showing my age here?
    Chris
  • chris7
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Anybody read Hillary Mantell's book Wolf Hall yet?
    It won the 2009 Mann Booker prize. It is about the life and times of Thomas Cromwell. It's not out in paperback yet

Just checked at the shop today rehab, think they are rushing the paperback out a bit quicker now due for release 7th Jan. It's due on CD next week if you use them but a bit pricey.
    Got my copy of Water for Elephants today, thanks to whoever suggested it, looks good.
    Chris :)
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi all, have read kite runmer, thousand splendid suns etc., I read all the Tory Haydn books, shes American and writes about her work with special needs children and adults in psychiatric care, they're brilliant!!! Love all the Harry Potter books, and one called The Time Travellers wife, which has just been made into a film. Will be looking for Another Alice and The Law and the Lady, and Water for Elephants. Thanks all!!! Jay

a045.gif
  • chris7
    Options
    Hi Jay

Sorry I am bit over-excited to have found this thread. Yes read all of Torey Haydens books, what a patient and caring lass she is to help so many troubled youngsters. Haven't got round to the Time Travellers Wife yet but it's on my list.
    Happy reading
    Chris
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I recommended Water for Elephants - it was this that made me start this thread as it's such a brilliant book and I needed to tell the world :roll:

I'm just reading Margaret Forster - Diary of an Ordinary Woman, it's as the title suggests the diaries of a woman who started writing them when she was 13 in 1914 till she was 94 - a very interesting read up to now.

I also have just bought Time Traveller's Wife and Memory Keeper's Daughter - so they're waiting in the wings.

Love, Legs x
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Legs,

Luv

Apparently they are writing a sequal to Winnie the Pooh.

joy
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Chris

I have read nearly all Torey Haydens books.

Have you ever read any of Cathy Glass books? She has been a foster mother for over 20 years. She takes in all sorts of troubled Children, some who never talk ect.

She now writes about all the children and how she helped them. One book I could not put down until I finished it.

trisher xx
  • chris7
    Options
    Hi all
    Thanks Legs, finished Water for Elephants at the weekend. You are so right I really enjoyed it. :D Something a bit different and so compelling. My sister is nutty about Elephants so is now getting it as one of her Christmas pressies. A real bargain all round. :D

Though there is no real comparison, The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry has a similar feel that others might like. I read it in one sitting I was so engrossed.
    Am sure you will like Memory Keeper's Daughter too.
    Will look out for Cathy Glass Trish, she seems to have passed me by.
    Has anyone read the Brutal Arts by Kellerman I think? more of a thriller but equally gripping and I can be hard to please. :roll:
    Chris :wink: