Options

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    carola wrote:
    Hi Speedalong

Just a quick note to say that I admire your grit and that you are an inspiration.

Keep smiling :lol:
    Carol x

Why thank you Carol - it's the only way to survive!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth - you can tell it is school hols - you have had less time to post!!
    My son has had trouble sleeping too but still waking up 5 in morning! I wonder if it is the hot weather unsettling them?
    S finds it harder to fall asleep when it is hot at night and I'm not able to wear him out as much as could before my hip got so bad ... watch out S when I'm back to full strength!! The only way I get my lie down after lunch is if he joins me ... but if we both fall asleep for too long ... the affects are deadly as neither of us can fall asleep...
    I am lucky that the OH has taken him to Thorpe Park today to tire him out and with 2 days respite this week is looking much better.
    A trip to Thorpe park sounds great - hope they have a good time and it wears him out a bit (son, not OH!!! Tho it wont hurt OH to do "his bit!")
    S goes back to school tomorrow .... which is good, as he is ready to go back now - he has been off 2 weeks and a day ... Not sure how we'll be ready in time for the taxi as we are both at holiday-pace and used to a bit of a lie in, even if we wake up early. Still, I'm not as slow as I was, so I'm sure we'll get our new routine sorted.
    Lucy back to school today and still suffering. I havent troubled you about her as you have to recover from your op but GPs well involved now thankfully!
    Poor thing - S seems to be doing well, had one blip - PM you about it when S back at school, but as for me I'm still battling the constipation and juggling the meds and prob loathe movicol as much as Lucy now!!! However - I just want the pooh out!!! (sorry folks - but it has to be said!!) Good the GP is more on board - you are her Mum and should not be the only person dealing with this. It is good for her too that there are other people telling her to take her meds etc
    Hope you can rest for the rest of the week. Each day is a little step nearer to a better life.
    That is I think why I'm feeling so positive ... after years of getting worse, my hip is now getting better!! T'row is a catch up on rest and sleep day and then I'm going to swing the balance during the day more towards my rehab ... fitting in the physio, the walking, the resting etc
    And please be careful with that bath/shower!
    I will! Too much to lose if I'm not careful. We are going to rehearse with friend watching (fully clothed) and then I will have my shower for real - she'll probably be the nervous one hovering on the landing!!

Enjoy the next couple of days and squeeze in a bit of well earned "me time!"

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    efleure wrote:
    So good to hear Speedalong, and the other post -op posters are all doing so well..long may it last...x

Thank you Efleure, the support from fellow op-sters and other forum readers is invaluable. Wish I had found this forum when my OA began and especially when I had my first THR 13 years ago. It has made ALL the difference.

Speedy
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    My first bath {dont like the shower at all} was 6 weeks to the day...OH helped me in and was about...all doors open so I could shout for him to help me out.......I enjoyed it but wasnt in very long because I couldnt relax incase I had problems getting out but after the first couple of baths {which were really just washes} I was back to the soak with the coffee etc

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    My first bath {dont like the shower at all} was 6 weeks to the day...OH helped me in and was about...all doors open so I could shout for him to help me out.......I enjoyed it but wasnt in very long because I couldnt relax incase I had problems getting out but after the first couple of baths {which were really just washes} I was back to the soak with the coffee etc

Love
    Hileena

Hi Hileena - I don't usually use the shower either - our shower is rubbish - just a trickle of water ... but even that seems appealing after almost 4 weeks of "strip washes," which are horrid too. So how many weeks post op was it when you got in the bath? Before my op I practised how I might get in and out and not break the restrictions ... but am not ready yet ....

Speedy
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedalong.......It was exactly 6 weeks to the day.....I counted those days LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Speedy and Hileena
    Thanks again for these post...the good and the bad,it is lovely to see you improving day by day....hilleena I enjoyed that bath with you...you know what I mean.... it must have been wonderful
    Carry on uphill lots of hugs and love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Speedalong.......It was exactly 6 weeks to the day.....I counted those days LOL

Love
    Hileena

That is why I need to move my post op appointment somehow!!!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thank you Barbara,

glad you are enjoying following our progress (and blips!) I avidly read all the op posts when I first joined the forum and still do ...

Speedy :):):)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Thank you Barbara,

glad you are enjoying following our progress (and blips!) I avidly read all the op posts when I first joined the forum and still do ...

Speedy :):):)
    hi speedy when is your post op appointment...dose that mean you can sleep on your side...I am dreading sleeping on my back and all the other dos and donts when I have mine done :shock:
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • efleure
    efleure Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Gosh, so if my op goes ahead end of July, birthday no less, I will be very smelly for a while if I cannot get into my bath/shower properly at that time of the year....that or have to freak out my older kids and ask them to help!!! I can see years of therapy ahead for them...lol
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedalong
    I did send you a post but it seems to have gone into cyberspace.
    Here goes again
    Have you rung his secretary to see if you can get the appointment changed?
    Ask her when you can have a bath......even if your post op appt is 12 weeks????{is that what it was?} maybe you can have a bath earlier

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Barbara, my next appointment should be at 6 weeks ... but is at 10 weeks and I'm trying to get it changed.

The rules very much depend on the consultant (and to some extent on the op and ourselves.)

I do miss sleeping on my side, but was not sleeping any-which-way for 7 months before the op ... so the fact that I'm in less pain and sleeping better albeit on my back is a big bonus. The restrictions are a pain - but no way do I want to jeopardise this op ... and in the scheme of things it wont be for long ... and we are an inventive bunch but I wish I could rip of these TEDS, go for a drive in the car have a long soak in the bath and then curl up on the bed like a cat....!!! Dream on !!!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    efleure wrote:
    Gosh, so if my op goes ahead end of July, birthday no less, I will be very smelly for a while if I cannot get into my bath/shower properly at that time of the year....that or have to freak out my older kids and ask them to help!!! I can see years of therapy ahead for them...lol

Hee, hee, hee ...

Bet they wouldn't mind hosing you down in the garden!! :roll: :lol: :oops:

Speedy
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Speedalong

How did your shower go yesterday??

My new hip is settling down really well now, but would you believe I have pulled a muscle in my 'good thigh' - probably overcompensating and using it too much - anyway, after a night with a bag of frozen peas on my good thigh it does seem a lot better this morning ...

I forgot to ask the surgeon what kind of prosthesis I have - whether it's ceramic or metal, cemented or cementless! It's on my list of things to ask at my 12 week appointment ...

I don't think I will be doing my 'distance walk' today in this rain - the pavements seem quite slippy with the sap from the trees..

Marion
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm not familiar with THR/TKR recovery procedures marion, but not walking outdoors today sounds wise. I don't go out in the rain unless I have too, found our long winter very tedious 'cos of the snow! Luckily we have a thirty foot long entrance hall so I trundle up and down that on my 'in' days, just to try and get things moving. Kitchen to front door, turn, front door to kitchen, turn it's not the most scenic route but at least it provides some sort of exercise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Enjoy your day speedalong. Son had a great time and went on everything. He is very brave! I am going to the shops now....a late birthday cake for my other son....I just couldnt get things sorted in time. He is not complaining bless him but i do feel so guilty.

Best wishes
    Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    How did your shower go yesterday??
    It was GORGEOUS!!!! My best shower EVER!!! It felt SO good!!! We have perfected the techique. My friend was more worried than me. I think she half regretted planting the idea in my mind ... but it went fine. I'm ok now to do it on my own (would only attempt it alone if S not here - as need to concentrate and take my time.)
    My new hip is settling down really well now, but would you believe I have pulled a muscle in my 'good thigh' - probably overcompensating and using it too much - anyway, after a night with a bag of frozen peas on my good thigh it does seem a lot better this morning ...
    Nightmare!! My "good thigh" is my old THR and it has always been weak. It is having to work harder than it used too and aches a bit sometimes these last few weeks - but nothing like yours. That's going to need some TLC for a bit. What a nuisance. Still with the weather being so dismal ... it's not quite so frustrating.

GEE (my house walls are thin) and all I can hear is the teenage girls nextdoor all shouting at their offspring ... I feel like going round and punching them ... the little'uns are probably just bored ...
    I forgot to ask the surgeon what kind of prosthesis I have - whether it's ceramic or metal, cemented or cementless! It's on my list of things to ask at my 12 week appointment ...
    Would be interesting to know. As your young I reckon it is more likely to be cementless ... but what it is made off is anyones guess...
    I don't think I will be doing my 'distance walk' today in this rain - the pavements seem quite slippy with the sap from the trees..
    I'm in two minds about going for a distance walk too - it has being pouring here too and I'm wary of my crutches slipping. The sky is brightening though - so shall hope and prayer it clears. I live on housing estate so not that many trees ... I really wanted to baseline my walking today to see how far I can comfortably walk there and back - so I have something to build on each school day (when no S with me - as need to concentrate fully at the moment.)

Hope that pulled muscle settles down,

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Luckily we have a thirty foot long entrance hall
    Wow - that is some entrance hall!!! S would love charging up and down that!! I joked to the nurse that came today (and washed my hair - joy - as well as changed my damn TEDS,) that if the weather didn't clear I'd have to walk up and down my hall way - but 30 feet it aint!!
    so I trundle up and down that on my 'in' days, just to try and get things moving. Kitchen to front door, turn, front door to kitchen, turn it's not the most scenic route but at least it provides some sort of exercise. DD
    Good for you. Better to keep moving that cease up.

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Enjoy your day speedalong.
    Hi Elizabeth, I had a fab text off my friend this morning. She is a single Mum too of two boys. The elder has severe dyspraxia and the younger one is rather like Ben on Outnumbered. She works part time.
    "Back to school. And relax! Feet up, coffee on, book out"
    Good advice!! This is all very novel. Usually when S is at school so am I, except Mondays and then I'm trying to cram in everything I can't do when he is in tow ...
    Son had a great time and went on everything. He is very brave!
    Great he had a good time.
    I am going to the shops now....a late birthday cake for my other son....I just couldnt get things sorted in time. He is not complaining bless him but i do feel so guilty.
    Buy him a big one and he'll consider it worth the wait.

Is your other son at respite now today and tomorrow? Make sure you wangle a bit of that elusive "me time" - you have definitely earned it and are worth it.

Take care,
    Speedy
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    Glad to hear your shopwer went well.....still wish I could have been there with a camera...saying that very thankful that no one was around when I got in for the first time LOL
    I'm finding my "good" { unoperated hip} is sorer than it was before or else I'm noticing it more

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Hileena, I told my friend about the forum and she said was should have taken "how to" photos of how we did it ... luckily she was joking!!

Your unoperated leg is probably having to work a lot harder than it is used to now you are more active with the new hip. It has been working harder for a quite a few months too whilst your new leg has been recovering.

I think you need to take it easy for a few days and see how it goes ... hopefully it is a temporary blip ... or you'll have to consider gearing up for that second op!!

Speedy
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    HI Speedalong
    Glad to hear things are going well xxx
    Theresa x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Theresa, so am I!!

Speedy
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    Its just 4 months post op now and I've got to admit I've been on the go a lot......not long walks particularly....but just going to different places, meeting people, going for coffees etc and it does all add up....but if I sit for any length of time I get sore {arthritis hip} I've got to hit a happy medium.....OH says dont do that....she might hit you back LOL
    But seriously if I sit too long I stiffen up and ache and if I walk too much ...same thing.....cant win LOL
    Love
    Hileena