The okay hip hurts, replaced hip and knee is fine

mandimoo
mandimoo Member Posts: 3
edited 5. May 2020, 20:52 in Chat to our Helpline Team

Hi I had a right knee replacement 18 months ago and a right hip replaced 5 months ago. I am 53. The xray showed my left hip was fine, normal degeneration but since i have had the right hip done, i am getting pain from my left hip. I had it done by mako robot and its supposed to be precise and mean i am level. Is this normal or should i contact the surgeon?

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @mandimoo welcome to the Online Community.

There is a thread here that you might like to read by @Bumblee20 about the Mako robot procedure: https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/51477/mako-robotic-procedure

Also, @Lynette007 was saying that she too was going to have this procedure. Hopefully a mention of both these will prompt a response regarding their own personal experience.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• mandimoo
    mandimoo Member Posts: 3

Hi i wasnt enquiring about Mako, i've had both my knee and hip done with it. The issue is that the other hip which showed on the xray was fine is hurting since i have had the right hip replaced. I was asking if I should see my surgeon again or if this is expected and will settle? I had the hip replacement in December 2019

• suelema
    suelema Member Posts: 14

Often if there is arthritis in one knee or hip there is also with the other, my consultant warned me that I might become aware of pain in the second joint and need that replacing once the first has healed. I would ask your GP to refer you to a physio who can assess and advise on re-education of your walking style and once your joint op has recovered maybe get referred back if the other still hurts.

• Hi@mandimoo

Thanks for your post to the Helpline.

We'd not be able to give you medical advice.

If your left hip is concerning you, you'd probably need to talk to your GP. Generally the first step may be a referral to a musculoskeletal (MSK) team where you'll have some investigations.

If you'd like us to send you some further information, do contact us on 0800 5200520 Mon-Fri 9am-6pm.

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the hip | Hip pain | Versus Arthritis

All the best

Guy