Does anybody struggle with exercise?

I find it so painful to do any sort of exercise and it gets me frustrated, does anyone else struggle with this?

Tagged:

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 20. Nov 2020, 07:02

I am beyond exercise due to being too crippled, physios have said they can do nothing for me, hydrotherapy not applicable either. Depressed when so much is made of the need to exercise without recognition that some of us simply cannot. My "exercise" consists of getting dressed - sometimes that is enough effort for hours; hobbling from the lounge to the kitchen to make a brew; feeding the cat; and generally doing what I need to do to survive as I live alone and only have a Home Help once a week. Promoting "exercise" all the time is depressing and could even be construed as being a form of discrimination to those of us who are unable, indeed Disability Rights UK in conjunction with Durham University have labelled this "ableism" and are to publish a letter in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

• Jamielee
    Jamielee Member Posts: 27

@Mike1 thank you for replying, physio also said they could do nothing for me last year I would cry every time I tried to even lift my leg 😢, I’m glad it’s not just me, I thought i would of been the only one!! Thanks for answering my question x

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Regrettably you are not the only one petal, OA is a real bugger when it takes hold all over.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jamielee

@Christian78 hi , I have RA and I have also had steroids, infusion and drips every month from age 10-15, my arthritis calms sometimes then it goes so bad it’s hard to move atal, and yes swimming is better, I’m going to get into that once we can all go back out. I’m also 20 years old :) nice to talk to you xx

• Jamielee

@Christian78 aww I’m so sorry to hear that☹️I hope you get the right treatment you need, I was on methotrexate injections once a week that really helps but caused me so much sickness and i had to stop, I also have amitriptyline once a week, that’s good and doesn’t cause me to feel sick, I find that codeine works when I’m really bad but I take them at night coz they make you feel a little bit drowsy. Also I think hot water bottles or a nice warm bath helps. I really hope something helps you soon. Best of luck x

• Jamielee

@Christian78 yes course I will keep in touch, the cold makes my pain so bad and aslo have never been able to have a job due to too much pain, I tried college for 3 years but they kicked me out due to low attendance :( I did try but it was to hard. I’ll definitely keep in touch I hope you do aswell :) x

• Jamielee

@Christian78 stay safe to you also. And big hugs :)

• Jamielee

@Christian78 I’m so sorry to hear that ☹️You are a strong human! Just Always remember that, I’m always here to talk if you want a chat x

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 20. Nov 2020, 18:46
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @Jamielee , I really struggle with exercise too. I was still just about able to do mild pilates till lockdown, but after a fall in March my hip kicked off like crazy and just climbing into bed and lying down was agony. My physio, GP, MSK consultant and general advice on this site was to do particular exercises to strengthen the muscles around my rubbish hip, so I gave it ago, but the pain was so intense and it set off lingering inflammation in my hip, and it just made it so much worse that I stopped.

I have tried some of the exercises with Leon on this site a few weeks ago, and it was very gentle and nice to stretch other parts of my body. I still have some residual fitness from pilates, so I’d slot in a few gentle stretching moves into the routine as well, but after doing 10 gentle squats, two days in a row, I could barely walk around the house. So much for building up those muscles! The stretching exercises that pulled on attachments to my hip also aggravated it.

i will have a go at some of the other exercises, but it took so long for the inflammation to settle, and my job needs me to be on my feet quite a bit, so I can’t risk setting that off again. Any real exertion just sets me back further, so I’m finding it hard to know what to do for the best.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having to deal with all this so young. I’ve at least had the pleasure of abusing my body for 60 years, I hope you can get a treatment and exercise regime that works for you.

• Jamielee

@Lilymary hi, I’m sorry to hear about your hip :( I hope it starts feeling a little bit better soon! And that is so good that you are trying some exercise, you should be proud of yourself I always have hated physio since diagnosed, before I had any pain I was a normal child, my mum said I use to run everywhere and loved playing out, but it all changed when I was 8 I use to miss Christmas sometimes because I would be in bed in too much pain to go downstairs with my family.

I know I really need to start exercising more but it gets me in that much pain the next day and then I never want to do it again and nobody understands that.

It was lovely hearing your story and I hope you keep in contact. Stay safe and well ❤️ Xxx

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

@Jamielee Thanks for your good wishes. I do think it’s important to try to maintain the whole body, and any activity or exercise we actually can do will help. It’s difficult to find the tipping point or trigger for pain, which may change from week to week, and we have to learn to spot them and avoid them. I started gentle pilates a few years ago as I could feel my body gradually seizing up as I could no longer go for the long walks I used to enjoy, and I really noticed the difference.

But there are so many beneficial side effects from exercise (however gentle or strenuous) both physically and mentally, that it’s worth trying to do what little we can, and I need to make myself try again.

a good varied balanced diet also helps, and keeping the weight down a bit (which is really hard when you can’t exercise). I managed to lose a stone during lockdown just by dumping junk food and alcohol and eating smaller portions. (I’m normally rubbish at dieting). Then I had to carry a backpack full of heavy files to my office, and I couldn’t believe how much pain that triggered in my hip, which was such a stark lesson for me about the link between weight and joint damage. Need to lose at least another stone, but that’s showing no sign of happening yet!

Hope you have a good weekend, just waggle those limbs around from time to time! Every little helps! Xx