Hi, can I go sick because pain is so bad that I cannot sleep fo

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 734
    edited 15. Feb 2021, 10:07

Dear Kerin

Welcome to the online community, there is a problem with your post. Please refer to the "Your Community" forum for " help with how to post ".

Guides & New Members Start Here

We hope to hear from you soon.

Poppyjane ( Moderator )

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Kerin
    Kerin Member Posts: 4

Hi, can I go sick if I cannot sleep due to pain

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @Kerin

I see you are not sleeping due to pain and are wondering whether you can take time off work because of this.

This is not an easy question to answer at all as l am sure you know and the answer will be very much an individual one. You don't say which type of Arthritis you have and whether lack of sleep is a constant issue for you. What work you do will probably also be relevant.

Have you discussed the issue with your GP? He/she might be able to help.

I am attaching some information about work for you to look at: Work | Support, commuting and self-help | Versus Arthritis

There is quite a lot of detail about your rights etc.

Best wishes

Ellen

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Hi @Kerin

It is really bad when you can't get to sleep because of pain. In my experience I find I wake up really stiff because I've kept really still when I was asleep - to keep the pain away you know.

It has helped me to use an electric blanket so the bed is warm when I get in, that helps my joints to relax. I do some gentle stretches, tensing and relaxing muscles - that tends to help me relax those tensed up muscles that have been protecting some joints through the day. I hope they will help you to think of some way to help get better sleep when you can.

I would go to my GP if my pain has got so bad I couldn't sleep, I really think it could help you. Sorry I can't help with work

xx

• Kerin
    Kerin Member Posts: 4

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will certainly try the electric blanket and see how it goes. All trial and error I suppouse .

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi Kerin

Have you tried any of the herbal teas they sell at the supermarket? If not try them or speak to a pharmacist at the chemist if they can suggest anything it’s horrible when you can’t sleep due to pain I also use a foot massager which helps too but the electric blanket is a great idea

take care

Jona 😊