Ankylosis spondylitis

Hi

I’ve just received a letter from my Rheumatologist confirming above condition.

Naproxin has been advised for my GP to prescribe (I need to make an appointment with gp now)

I do not like the sound of the side effects, are other anti inflammatory drugs with lesser side effects?

also over the last month (from my last flare up) I’m starting to see improvement (my lower back goes and pain is down my legs)

is there particular exercise/gym classes/weights etc should be avoided or any in particular that would be helpful.

pre covid I was very fit and did pretty much every kids of class from HIT to Pilates and really want to get back into fitness, back still tight at the moment so range of movement hasn’t come back completely yet.

many thanjs

janine

Comments

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206

Hi @JanineS

I would like to welcome you to the Online Community Forum. From reading your post above I have an understanding that you have just been diagnosed with Ankylosis Spondylitis.

There is an exercise program you can register for and Leon will find exercises which are suitable for you. He is brilliant and will definitely be able to help you.

In regards to the Naproxin, maybe had a chat to the GP about your concerns and ask if there is any other one you can go on. Unfortunately, every medication comes with a side effects leaflet, however, it doesn't mean that everyone will get the side effects that are written on there.

AJ_x

• JanineS
    JanineS Member Posts: 3

Hi AJ

Many thanks for your reply and information

I shall look into this link for exercise ideas.

Regards

janine

• Dear Janine

Thank you for your posting on the forum concerning your diagnosis and regarding medication and exercise to manage this.  I see that AJ has responded to your post and provided a link to our information on Ankylosing Spondylitis. As AJ has said with regard to medication, every medication potentially has side effects but it does not mean that everyone will these get side effects and to talk to your GP and or your Rheumatologist about your concerns. The link below has more information about painkillers and anti inflammatory medication.

Painkillers and NSAIDs | Side-effects, uses, time to work

You have also asked about exercise in your post. Physiotherapy is a very important part of the treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis and you can ask your GP for a referral to a physiotherapist who can put together a programme of exercises to improve your muscle strength and help you maintain mobility in your spine and other joints. It’s especially important to exercise your back and neck to avoid them stiffening into a bent position.

There is more information on both the treatment and on exercise on the link that AJ has provided on Ankylosing Spondylitis.

You may also find the following general information from another organisation, the National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society, useful. We have no control over the contents of these resources and are unable to guarantee their suitability for you, but we hope they’re helpful:

NASS, information and advice

I hope this information has been of help. You are very welcome to call us here on the helpline if you feel you would like to talk things through with one of our Helpline Team. You can contact us on 0800 5200 520 (Monday – Friday, 9am – 8pm).

Kind Regards

Dawn, Helpline Advisor

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211

Hi @JanineS welcome to the forum.

I understand your condition of AS as I myself have AS and have been fighting it for 9 years now since formal diagnosis.

In terms of your specific question relating to Naproxen, from personal experience there are a range of NSAID's that people are prescribed for AS. I am currently on a combination of Humira (a biologic treatment) and Naproxen. The combination works well for me and I use Naproxen on and off to manage flares.

As a long term AS patient there are any treatment options available to Rheumatologists that can help ease the affects, slow down the disease and in some cases modify the disease enough to go into remission.

AS has historically been a condition where diagnosis is difficult and often delayed so it is really positive you now have the diagnosis and can try work with your Rheumatologist to find a solution that helps you.

You specifically mention exercise in your post and I have found over the years that walking for me is my life line the combination of medication and walking transformed my life. Walking is my exercise but more generally exercise and AS have strong links, with many finding low impact exercise like Yoga or Pilates can help with stiffness, inflammation and pain.

Good luck and I hope you find a balance in managing your condition.

Regards

Joe