Should I stop taking Naproxen etc. after hydrocortisone?

Morning everyone! I had my first hydrocortisone injection this morning in my hip, and stupidly I forgot to ask the hospital staff if I should stop taking Naproxen and paracetamol (which I've been taking daily for about a year due to near constant pain). I presume the answer is yes, I should stop taking them, otherwise the effect (or otherwise) of the injection might be masked, but I'd appreciate advice from anyone here who's had hydrocortisone. Thanks!

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

The NHS leaflet on Hydrocortisone jabs is - https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/hydrocortisone-injections/ cautions with other meds is included at Section 7.

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

@rozwalsh

I think the best thing to do is to ask your chemist to speak to the pharmacist and ask them to set you straight. I've had a number of injections and haven't been told to stop any meds - I'm not on the same as you but I do take a similar one. It's also good if you can rest for a couple of days so the liquid has time to work on the area where it's needed

Take care

Yvonne x

• Henrietta
    Henrietta Member Posts: 44

As you've very recently had your first steroid injection I wonder if I could but in with a question and hope that isn't rude going off thread. Did you have your steroid injection at the first apt with consultant or did they book you in for a separate apt just for the injection? I have my first consultant apt in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

• rozwalsh
    rozwalsh Member Posts: 9

Hi there! It was not given at my first appointment but I was given a separate appiontment which was just under 3 weeks later :-) Hope this helps.

• Henrietta

Many thanks Rozwalsh

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 6. Jul 2021, 15:55

I had a steroid injection into my hip (nor sure if it's the same thing) but my surgeon didn't mention anything about coming off Naproxen, and he was pretty hot on that sort of thing. Ring the hospital if you're not sure.

On the second point, I had a separate consultation before the steroid injection, and had to self isolate before the procedure as it's carried out in surgical conditions.

• Henrietta

Thanks LilyMary

• @Henrietta i has my first steroid injection on my first face to face appointment with consultant xx

• Henrietta

Thanks hairobsessessed123, I will keep my fingers crossed that my hospital is just as efficient.

• Henrietta

Just a quick update, The consultant recommended hip replacement and has added me to list as said I would only get a few weeks relief from injection as OA quite advanced and bone rubbing on bone.

• rozwalsh

@Henrietta I hope you get a date soon! I'm supposed to be having mine in "Sept/Oct" but no firm date as yet 😕

• Henrietta

Hi Rozwalsh, that's not too far away now, how long ago was your referral from consultant?

The hospital gave me a good info booklet on the process, quite impressed.

• rozwalsh

@Henrietta in February I was told it would be a year, but in June I was told Sept/Oct as they're going to do it in a private hospital. Fingers crossed for us both! 🙂

• Henrietta

Hi Rozwalsh, that is great news, they may possibly get extra funding to help clear the covid backlog. He didn't give me any clues about timescales and I didn't ask as I realised he probably couldn't/wouldn't guess a date.