Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 4,075
    Options

Before physio just need to say hi Joan Hope you and Sue are okay also hi Kathleen okay definitely closing my mouth for now au revoir.

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all..its been a lovely day but more storms on the way

Toni wgat a shame your lovely gp us finishing its si nice wgen you like abd trust them hopefully you get another nice one, since covid our good gp has finished has well so we have d7ferent ones ringing .so Charley had been promoted that's brilliant..the girls are doing ok but at different places gd at the special school and her fiance at a care home..but our gd us with an agency si can be sent anywere ..hope all your results are good xx

Joan I started with knee pain with my first hip ..its not nice is it ((())) how lovely if the carers ..Mr B us the end if Nov..he sees the consultant and hopefully has preop xx

Reshmi I know what you mean about certain symtons giving us a dread I hope your friend will listen to you ..you must have a good brain to do finance jobs ..but having a bully if a boss can ruin a career xx

Mike I hope you are still getting a phew hours sleep ..hiw nice ti have the tattoo of your lovely cat on your arm ..I have some furs frim my beloved dog in a locket xx

Kath what a lovely photo if you reminds me 8f when I lived at home with all my animals 😁the emergency pack is brilliant wish my Kate brother had one I remember many trips to the doc for him xx

Love to all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,441
    Options

Morning everyone hope you set your clocks right?

An extra hour was very welcome for Lucy today! work for 7 (sort of) instead of 6☺️

Joan I am sorry to say P really isn't ok just now the Vicar went yesterday and she isn't able to speak but hears. I'm not too bad at the moment hope you are coping too. Had to google yum yums they sound nice but aren't vegan so can't try them. ((())) for you and Sue xxx

Well Kitty a change is as good as a rest they say! The children and Holly will enjoy sleeping in different beds and cosying up in a different place (is it a caravan or something like) mine used to love it whatever the weather.

I love that photo of you all with Smutty and your rabbit🙂

Sleek just reckoned you needed to rest to get over it all after your bad chest. She saved you some cockle curry it's in your freezer🤭sorry!

Now that mushroom masala looks just gorgeous I think I need to try that.😋 ta very muchly 😘

Ah Reshmi yes reading is virtually free....good for the mind and totally devoid of caffeine, calories, alcohol or nicotine so an excellent hobby.😊 I read all the time and listen to audio books too if I'm on my own for a walk or cooking.

I try to switch off early too, but some people need to be communicated with late don't they? Games without blue lights a good idea much better for our brains to switch off when we want to sleep. But you do well anyway - you don't do caffeine either.

I hope your friend's scan is only a check up and all is well for her. Glad all is ok and she's explained it to you.

My hair is now just over shoulder length it used to be way longer but as you say it's harder work and anyway I am too old unless I tie it up!

Have you seen Lord A and Baby R lately?

You are good doing your physio exercises 👍️

Morning Mike I hope all is well with you and Vixen. Do you have the same rain as we do here it's just non-stop my poor puss is miserable😕 Any news on Elliott?

Morning too to Barbara

Did Niamh have her bacon butties? If so did Grandad do a good enough job? and Sunday lunch what is to be today? 😋

End of Nov will soon be here then you'll know what's what with Mr B.

I would have thought your bro ought to have version of our emergency pack or at least quick access to antibiotics when he needs them.

Isn't it upsetting that good GPs leave? Ah well I'll cope I suppose. Yes I'll let you know when I have the bloods done, but I am worried it will have to be a camera😣

I'm glad the girls are enjoying work even if they in different jobs it doesn't matter if they see enough of each other?

Love of course to Carol happy holiday!

It's Sunday and excuse to be naughty Cornish full English today for Mike especially but we'll all enjoy it tpp:

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara How are you? Thanks for understanding well they’re really quite low-level finance jobs, lol, but thank you. Yes indeed, bully bosses always ruin everything. Lord A baby R and their parents are coming later on today, LA was being especially lordly yesterday he said to my mum in his headmaster type voice,, “ where are my treats? get the new storybook get it now! “, oh dear, I wonder what he’ll be like after Halloween chocolate sugar rush 🍫🍫! I’m trying not to think about it, lol. Have a nice day also Toni Kathleen Joan xx.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni How are you, only just saw your message I think something weird is going on on my iPad or something like that perhaps, True reading is an absolutely great hobby indeed, yes that’s true I know what you mean, we all have different routines, schedules and habits, it’s never very easy communicating with people are on a different wavelength I guess. Ok, I see about the lights that’s good to know, talking about people stay up late and all that it’s long lost friend person is really nocturnal, she once said it’s not normal for people to be up and about at 9 am (?! ) So what happened when she went to work then? she just ate the coffee granules straight from the jar? I wouldn’t ’t be surprised, lol. It may be the methotrexate speaking to a certain extent but I am getting a bit fed up of her, to be honest, i’m still going to try and keep in touch at the moment, party because we have some mutual friends who are quite nice people,but I’m not going to say things I don’t mean just to try to maintain the friendship. Ok, End of the long lost friend topic for now. (The scan was a check up by the way and it went okay.) That sounds like a nice hairstyle. LA and baby R are coming today see message to Barbara. Thanks about the physio. How’s your stomach at the moment Toni? Mine is not really 100% but it’s not too bad but either, but then again I did have the dreaded methotrexate yesterday. Just Thought I’d ask because Because my mum was curious, how is your psoriasis? Mine tends to be a bit better in the cold weather. Happy Halloween 🎃 by the way! Certainly seems to be a bit of a Halloween storm going on here, is it stormy where you are too? Oh well the storms can’t last forever I guess have a nice day.

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,937
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) sorry you have painful hips ((())) when you had your photo took with Diana and smutty and goldie did you have any pain or problems then. love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Reshmi ((())) I'm sorry your friend has so many problems I hope they can be helped ((())) have a good day all of you.

Toni ((())). It's raining here. Have a good day love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) I'm pleased she was promoted good luck to her. Love to Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Love to Barbara ((())) and Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece (((())) and her fiancé ((()))

love to Chris ((())) Carol ((())) and Mike ((())) and vixen

take care
    joan xx
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Morning Mike I hope all is well with you and Vixen. Do you have the same rain as we do here it's just non-stop my poor puss is miserable😕 Any news on Elliott?

We had a bit of thunder and lightening last night which Vixen was not too impressed with, when it comes to fireworks she actually sits outside and watches them yet she does not like thunder and lightening! Rain on and off all day today. No news on Elliott, the last my baby sister or I heard about was 3 or 4 weeks ago when she was told that he went back to school the day after he was released from hospital apparently having had suspected sepsis!

• frogmorton
    Options

Wow Mike! the day after? Perhaps it wasn't neutropenic sepsis this time maybe🤔 he has a good attitude the lad anyway going into school. My puss isn't bothered about thunder lightening or fireworks. They are odd. My friend's dog get's in a right state shivering and shaking and salivating.

Poor Vixen t least she has her Daddy to look after her.

Joan it rained with you too yesterday what a day it was. Bins all over the place out there and localised flooding to get through to take Lucy to work. Nothing I couldn't cope with though hope it has eased off now for you? ((())) for you and Sue xxx

Reshmi you are right to always maintain good terms with people especially if they are in a circle of friends. Yes by far the best idea. I am glad LL. friend's was only a check up scan. Erm! 9 o'clock is early?! honestly? I suppose it takes all sorts doesn't it? I have to agree how on earth did she work. I love the idea of eating coffee granules out of the jar! That was me when I was in my late teens early 20's (when I had caffeine) I used to have a coffee with 3 sugars and two spoon-fulls full fat caffeinated instant coffee. Filled cup up half full of water then topped up with milk necked it back before getting started for the day. I could be up and out in 12 minutes in those days....not so now.

Thank you my skin is not so bad ATM I am using e45 bath/shower stuff and cerave? (SP) Glad yours is pretty good too. Belly still a bit odd ATM like you ((())) hope yours eases today. I forgot to wish everyone a happy Hallowe'en too odd for us in the. cafe. There's someone called @mig who usually pops in with the cauldron

Lord A sounded as though he had a proper Lordly attitude on him yesterday! He is cheeky, but it is funny. Did you mum read his new book I bet she did. I hope he didn't have too much chocolate did baby R have a little taste?

I was hoping my Great niece would come over (2 and a half), but my brother was working and his mum can't drive so sadly Lucy will have to eat her hallowe'en chocolate lolly.

Morning Kitty. I hope you had a good rest yesterday on your net free Sunday? There is some cornish breakfast left in the fridge if you want some?

Hope Holly and the children are ok I bet they had a blustery time bless them.

Morning Barbara how are you today i hope your eyes aren't too bad and yesterday did them good ((())) How was Niamh?🤗

Trying to work out whether Carol will be on her cruise I have a feeling she might be unless it was next weekend they sailed🤔

Porridge today because I for one am COLD!!!

• bosh
    Options

Hi J , thanks hope you and Sue have a nice day take care. XX

hi Tony I did actually block and delete long lost friend on Facebook then reversed it this morning but I’ve just hid her messages from direct view , In a bit of a mood yesterday possible methotrexate post just have a normal minute type of moodiness, but the thing is she can be found annoying the llf, The message from her is that basically her social life everything else is far important than me at least at the moment I mean it’s not too much to say yes I can make it or no I can’t make it especially when someone is ill but anyway I won’t go on about this now I’ll leave the topic also will reply properly later just going to get ready and stuff and then will reply properly. Xx

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Toni ((())) I hope you have a better day today. There is a lot of flooding everywhere. Love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari (((())) and P (((())) and your lovely neighbours. ((()))

Barbara (((())) go careful in the bad weather love to Mr B (((())) and family ((()))

Kath ((())) have a good day love to Chris ((())) and your family ((()))

Reshmi (((())) take care love to everyone

Mike ((())) I hope you don't have any more thunder and lighting love to vixen

Love to Chris (((())) and Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 1. Nov 2021, 10:40
    Options

Good morning all, isn't it cold! Or perhaps that just because we had our heads shaved yesterday - oh it's good to get rid of all that hair. At least the sun is shining at the moment and it isn't raining yet, but I suppose it will later.

Joan, I don't remember having too many aches and pains when I was young, but my legs often ached and my co-ordination wasn't very good. I had low calcium as a baby, giving me poor teeth. My baby teeth all crumbled away and they are all falling out now. My doctor wanted me to wear calipers when I was two, but mum wouldn't lrt me have them. She sent me tap and ballet dancing and pumped me full of milk. I drank a pint a day - but my legs became straighter and stronger. I stopped tap and ballet but began ballroom dancing and danced all my life until I was 19. I loved it, in spite of having poor co-ordination. Until I was 4, I was very bandy legged!

Reshmi, what a little bossy boots Lord A is, did he get his treat?

Mike, so Vixen enjoys watching fireworks. I'm not in te least bit surprised!

Antoinette, thanks for the warming porridge, delicious. I found my present from Sleek in the fridge - yum yum (I chucked it in the bin shh).

We've just bought a new pair of clippers, their cordless and can be recharged by USB. So much lighter and no cable to get in the way.

Patatas bravas

from Olive magazine

Ingredients

• Maris Piper potatoes 750g, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
    • olive oil 5 tbsp
    • onion 1 large, finely chopped
    • garlic 3 cloves, crushed
    • finely chopped tomatoes 400g tin
    • vine tomatoes 3, chopped
    • dried chilli flakes ½ tsp
    • sherry vinegar 1 tbsp
    • caster sugar 1 tsp
    • sweet smoked paprika ½ tsp
    • flat-leaf parsley finely chopped, to serve

Method

• STEP 1
    • Heat a large pan of salted water until boiling, add the potatoes and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain really well, then spread out to dry on kitchen paper
    • STEP 2
    • Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Spoon 3 tbsp olive oil on a large, non-stick baking tray. Add the potato and toss to coat. Roast for 40-50 minutes or until crisp, turning now and again so they get evenly golden
    • STEP 3
    • To make the sauce, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and cook the onion and garlic gently for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Tip in the remaining ingredients and season. Simmer for 20 minutes until thickened.
    • STEP 4
    • To serve, season the potatoes with salt then spoon into a warm serving bowl (or bowls). Spoon over the sauce, sprinkle with parsley and serve.

*This recipe is gluten free according to industry standards

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh
    Options

Hi again Toni sorry for the second like late second sign in but had a hot shower and a really good sleep afterwards which is relatively unusual, it’s one of those things hot showers isn’t it? I feel really exhausted afterwards in the long run it’s good for you. Good you got rid of the coffee have it good for you, I think LA’s mummy I prevented him from eating Choc until you got home mummys do do indeed have magical powers don’t they 🧙? Aww. Same goes for Baby R. LA always pirate hat and looked extra cute and baby R sported a lovely orange and black striped outfit, saying “ My first Halloween “, was also looking like A very lovely baby cutie pie. My stomach is ok - ish ty, still bit careful with food. Hope you feel better soon, ok I know this is a bit short but I’m ending it there. Tc xx

• bosh
    Options

hi everyone else, you’re all okay today got to go Tc xx

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all

.lots of flooded roads around here hope everyone is safe

Toni I'm so sorry to hear about P..bless her hopefully she dosent have much pain and can mostly sleep 🌈

I have a dread if having a camera ..but hopefully you won't need one

Yes Niamh had bacon buttys ..oh the joy on her face even the toes curl 😅xx

Reshmi I have to laugh at Lord A I call it confidence something we couldn't have when little ..it was called cheeky ..children need to build confidence..bet they really enjoyed Halloween 🎃 xx

Joan we are doing ok thankyou ..hope all is well at yours ..how are pepper and Lexi getting on xx

Kath maybe you could let your hair grow a little for winter and have it cut in summer ..isn't it goid all the things you can buy that are rechargeable ...thankyou for another good recipe...your mum certainly knew what to do to strengthen your legs bless her xx

Live to all

Xxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara I think you’re right about LA, he’s the only person I know who succeeded in bossing my mum around, lol, yes I Think him and his brother enjoyed a lot thanks. I sort of lost track of all the people who are vegan and I of course remember thatToni is vegan, but just wanted to say happy world vegan day meant to write it earlier but lost track of things as usual lol, I ate Some of my moms delicious biriani today it was a chicken one, but also tastes great with just veg. Okay Barbara Hope you have a good night take care. Xx

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone!

Yes please to your Mum's biryani Reshmi I'll have the veg/vegan version! I think I am the only vegan here. Aidan used to be veggie and Barbara and Kath eat veg quite a lot for their health. I think that's about right anyway. Thank you for remembering it was world vegan day😍

Good girl unblocking L.L. friend not worth - it just distance yourself slightly so she doesn't frustrate you so much. At least that's what I'd do. Can't be doing with thoughtlessness, but also don't like falling out.

You must have needed that sleep after your hot shower good I hope you feel better for it?

Aw Aw Aw! How adorable a pirate Lord A and an orange and black stripey baby R🤗 Totally cute I bet Lord A has your Mum wrapped around his little finger.

Joan thank you I had a good day yesterday I hope you did too? I even managed to get Lucy to our pharmacist for her flu jab she got called for hers last week but her shifts make it tricky. Love to you and Sue ((())) xxx

Barbara I remember sweet Niamh's toes curl she loves her bacon butties so much bless her.❤️

You are right children had to behave far too much in the past now maybe it's going a bit the other way, but they could be treated really badly and adults didn't realise it then.

P is not in pain nor queasy just asleep bless her I wish the hospice hadn't stopped non-family going because she had said she didn't think she'd ever want to stop me going 😕 She is just drifting away peacefully God bless her.

Cross everything they can work out what is wrong without a camera will you please.

Morning Kitty how are you both? I was chilly yesterday and the day before it was just so windy brrrr! Extra chilly for you two if you were scalped though! Clippers sound good much easier without wires isn't it everything?

I have always wanted to be able to cook bravas patatas! Brilliant now I have the recipe thank you so much.

I am glad you * coughs quietly to one side* 'enjoyed' the treat Sleek left for you🤫

You know what? I rather think your Mum did a good job there filling you full of milk and sorting you out with dancing classes. She could not have done more because as we now know weight bearing exercises is the way to build strong bones. She would not have known that but her motherly instinct did!

I am busy doing another wasgij jigsaw this one is of the ACE Cafe from the 1950's to now I am loving it.

Morning to you Mike and Vixen it looks as though the weather is picking up a bit and we will see some sunshine today. I hope Vixen and my puss will be able to potter about outside today.

Right I fancy something a bit naughty today...I know but I'll do them extra fruity as a compromise for the good of our health:

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) your mum got you strong and it made you a fighter to get through all you have wrong now. Have a good day ((())) love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) how is Mr B ((())) I forgot when he was going to the hospital. It's been very windy and cold here. sorry you have had it as well ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece ((())) and her fiancé ((()))

Toni ((())) I'm so sorry you cannot go to see P (((())) I hope you don't have to have a camera ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Reshmi ((())) have a good day all of you.

Love to Mike ((())) and vixen and Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

I feel lazy today, so I'll just give you a recipe. Isn't the Olive magazine good? Thank you Mods for suggesting it.

Fiery chickpea and harissa soup

30 Minutes Serves 4Easy from Olive magazine

A fast-to-make and easy spicy soup made with chickpeas. This vegetarian recipe, gets its heat from harissa, the hot chilli pepper paste from Morocco. Ready quickly in 20 minutes.

Ingredients

• onion 1, chopped
    • olive oil
    • carrots 2, diced
    • celery 2 stalks, diced
    • ground cumin ½ tsp
    • harissa 2 tbsp
    • chickpeas 400g tin, drained
    • vegetable stock 750ml
    • tomato purée 2 tbsp
    • parsley a handful of leaves, chopped

Method

• STEP 1
    • Cook the onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil until softened. Add the carrot and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the cumin and harissa and cook for a minute. Add the rest of the ingredients, season and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes 

A bit too spicy for me, but I'm sure you will enjoy it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni, no worries about vegan day you’re welcome, yeah LA knows how to manipulate , he was on the verge of another tantrum when he dropped a sweet and my dad had to give him a sweet through the open car window, lol. Thanks for your nice advice I promise I have read your message properly, but it’s a bit late in the day as I went out to tea with parents and then had a massive sleep and I’m in a bit of pain but nothing too unusual, just slept on my side a bit weirdly so I’ll go for now take care enjoy the teacake. Xx

• bosh
    Options

Thanks Joan Hope you and S are having a good day too. Xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara Hope you’re good today? My Throat is a bit sore I’m on the cuppa soup 🍜, lol. Tc. Xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Kathleen chickpeas always a winner for me mind you like you I don’t like anything too spicy I would make a plain version personally take care Reshmi. Xx

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning Joan thank you I really hope I don't have a camera too there has to be another way! P's sister and daughter are very much in touch with me and are also upset i can't go anymore. Hope you and Sue are well? ((())) xxx

Mike I was getting worried we haven't heard from you for a while (Sue must have been at yours yesterday?) so I had a look at your profile to check you had been on the site and saw the photo of you on your bike!!!!!!!!!!!! wow!!

Kitty how are you today? feeling less 'lazy' my Kitty is never lazy! Just a bit tired maybe. Thanks for the soup it looks lovely like Reshmi I love chickpeas they are fab-u-lous! So good for you too.

Which mod suggested the Olive magazine I wonder well it's excellent anyway I have to agree.

Is Holly back and did they survive the holiday in all that weather?

Madame Sleekipuss is en route to you on her motorbike!

Reshmi poor Lord A dropping his sweet just as they were setting off home! Grandad to the rescue. They just done understand how germy floors are do they and Mum definitely doesn't need to hear screaming all the way home does she?! How far are they from yours?

Nice to have been out for a meal with your parents though hope Dad behaved?

Your weren't 100% yesterday with a sore throat and pain from sleeping oddly. I hope today is much better for you.

I have an ironing mountain so getting the perching stool out.

Barbara how are you doing? Fingers crossed your eyes benefitted from a day off of screens.

I definitely don't fancy a camera having this nose issue I can't breathe through there as it is. I would be 😰 terrified!

Is your eldest ok now and his friend?

TODAY the blind man comes to fix my blinds - it wasn't yesterday i waited in for nothing 🙄

toasties for us!

Began option available of course.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Mike I was getting worried we haven't heard from you for a while (Sue must have been at yours yesterday?) so I had a look at your profile to check you had been on the site and saw the photo of you on your bike!!!!!!!!!!!! wow!!

Morning Froggie. As it is the same %$(& just a different day I haven't had anything new to post or any comments I felt that would help on any posts elsewhere on the forum. That photo of me on the trike was years ago regrettably, I used to ride bikes all the time then went to a trike when my hands almost caused me to crash as I could not operate the clutch! After a couple of years I could not ride the trike either so I had to sell it. Sometimes looking at photos brings back happy memories but increasingly they depress me by reminding me of how much my life has changed for the worse.

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I hope you have a good day it's hard when your body is in pain ((())) love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily (())) and your Dad ((()))

Toni (((())) I'm so sorry you can't see P ((()) it must be very upsetting for you ((())) when you said the blind man was coming I thought he was blind then I realised what you meant. Love to Paul (())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers and Lucy (((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours (((()))

Reshmi (((())) I think the weather makes you feel worse it's freezing outside have a good day ((()))

Mike ((())) yes you think you can do things but your body can't you wish you were like you were that makes things worse ((())) you have done well ((())) love to vixen

love to Carol (((())) and Barbara and Mr B ((())) and family ((()))

take care
    joan xx