I WISH
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thankyou for the advice :D

hopefully i will have some nice potatoes, and leave the tree to its own devices :D

Rose x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,581
    Options
    Colin1 wrote:
    I WISH
    Colin

Dear Colin

I will grow extra stuff for you.

Good tip from Christine about the cheap potato bags :)

Take care ((()))

Toni xxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I forgot to tell you all...I went into the greenhouse yesterday and 'something' was missing.

Pretty soon I realised that Curly and Carla cucumber-plants were not there :? and sitting on Curly's remaining 'stump' still brazenly chomping was an ENORMOUS snail.

Hummppphhhh :x

Bad Sid Snail grrr!!!!!!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Oh Toni, no. Your poor cucumbers. I think that's where my tiny cucumber plants went. Haven't seen any slugs this year but gradually more and more snails.
    Christine
  • roses1
    Options
    :o you called your cucumber after my daughter!! Toni! i hope she was a lovely cue!

lots lots of snails around in our garden how do we get rid of them?

Rose x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh she was, she was Rose.... :( your daughter would have loved her namesake. Lovely big strong leaves and her stalk - well never have I seen such a slim one :lol:

Love

Toni xx
  • applerose
    Options
    Would anyone like some snails? I pulled up a big patch of ivy and cut back a horizontal for tree to find a snail city. Accidentally stood on a few. Oops! :lol:
    Just thought, haven't watered yet. Better go and do it now.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    No thank you Christine :lol:

I have had my fill of them grrr!!!!

Guesss what? Curly and Carla Cue are already sprouting!!!!!! :D

Happy Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Well hello
    fellow gardeners :D

I hope everyone is doing well?

Perfect weather for.....weeds :wink:

My veggies are doing really well (even the cucumbers) and hanging baskets are starting to fill out and flower too.

c010.gif

Love

Toni xxx
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi everyone. I love gardening too. Only have a small garden but it backs onto woodland so get a lovely variety of wildlife visiting. I had a couple of raised beds made a few years ago and have a small portable seat to use so I can enjoy tending to those. I did try to grow veggies in one of them 2 years ago but it was a complete disaster as the pigeons invaded and decided they liked the veggies too! Last year I turned it into an Alpine Garden which, so far, has survived.

The virtual garden next to the cafe sounds a great idea. Maybe we could enjoy a cream tea with scones and homegrown strawberries - might be.cheaper than Wimbledon!?

Am off to do a little pottering around out there.

Beryl
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Beryl your garden sounds lovely!

I have less problems with pigeons than I do with SLUGS and SNAILS :roll:

I have woodland/scrubland to my side and in front being at the very end of a cul-de-sac. Lovely isn't it? :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    Options
    I'm not sure that I'll ever be considered a 'gardener', the only thing I love about it is the peace and quiet and the colours and shapes of the plants, I suppose that for all the hours I put in it ought to look better! It must be getting near beer time, I can sit and look at what I should have done... 8)
  • applerose
    Options
    Toni, I hope Curly and Carla are still doing well. Your and Beryl's gardens sound lovely with the woodland next to them. I'd love that.

Beryl, bet your alpine garden is very pretty.

Just been out for a quick stroll in the garden and once again some things have just gone whooosh. Had to cut back one shrub as it had spread and the branches were lying on top of my geranium so I couldn't see much of that. A euphorbia which has only ever been about 18 inches high has suddenly grown to almost waist height. Water irises have finished flowering so I need to cut them back or take them out so that I can see the other plants.
    Tomatoes only about 8 inches high. Very very slow this year. My first crop of carrots disappeared altogether once they got their real leaves. Second lot are showing through now along with leeks and spring onions. Beetroots are coming up. I was given a single carnation plant last year by my son who had been given a few by his neighbour. She said it was very rare and she was trying to get other people to grow them. Mine disappeared during the winter but it came back again and looks lovely. Only one flower. Loads of strawberries. Must get them netted this weekend before the birds get them.
    Christine
  • roses1
    Options
    Slugs and snails! we have loads of them toooo!! :shock:
    I did buy some killer today am i norty :lol:

I'm surrounded by fields and woods it is soooo lovely watching all the seasons and sunsets :D

Think i'm like airwave , never be considered a gardener, i haven't got the green fingers :roll: i keep having a dabble but things just get eaten by slugs and bugs lol or they just die :roll: or never grow at all :shock:

now i have got 2 veggie bags what do i do now :lol: ... soil, compost what the best for my tatties ?

Rose x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Rose I just stick soil in my veggie bags - others might do different.....you could buy a bag of top soil or two???

It's nice up where you live isn't it?

Christine Curly and Carla (mark 2) are looking pretty good and are already a good couple of inches tall :) It's nice being here, but my neighbours (the council???) are encroaching into my front garden blocking a lot of light :lol:

We need some sun to help your tomatoes I think - mine aren't tall either now you mention it. How lovey - a pond....sigh..... :)

I hope your carnations flourish now and you can pass some on too.

Airwave - hope the beer was nice? :lol: If you enjoy gardening then that's all that matters, my Dad loved it so do I, but I know I am rubbish compared to him.

A day to open the greenhouse I think

See you all later

love

Toni xxx
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Its the sense of accomplishment more than anything, to see my labours turned into something. I am going to attack my neighbours fir trees when I get back from hols, every branch over my side is coming down, well, I won't climb 60feet up, just the lower ones.

Right, valerian now, too many and I can't get down the driveway, an hours work before the F1 and yes, the beer is a good treat!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    A timescale Airwave too before the F1 :wink:

A lot of Valerian methinks :?

For me it's producing 'something'??? I expect you understand.

Those firs though.....too big a task for me :( Best of luck

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    The hollyhocks have been planted. They have been patiently waiting since late April and have had some leaves eaten during this time. A few pink roses have bloomed and penstemons are starting.

Front garden has been cleared but it won't be long before all the wild plants re grow. Think OH is planning to grass it over, which is probably a good idea as we can't keep up with it.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    That's a lot done Elizabeth :shock:

I have had 3 goes at the front hedge. Still not finished though. Will keep at it.

Grassing over is really not a bad idea and if you want you can add a few post/hanging baskets for colour.

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Yes we plan to put some pots and baskets out front although they need regular watering I'm afraid I find gardening so difficult so rely OH who isn't that keen.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • applerose
    Options
    Roses, I use whatever is to hand for potatoes and everything else - soil, compost from A*d* or compost I made myself. I agree that enjoying gardening is more important than getting things to grow well.

Toni, my next door neighbours put a 6 foot closed fence up alongside my open board one so that side of the garden doesn't get the sun any more. I'm quite annoyed about it but there's nothing I can do. Just need to make the best of it. Thinking of moving my tomatoes to see if that will help them.

Airwave, my neighbours, same as above, have a leyandeii hedge which is now about 15 feet high and some branches are starting to hang over. My loppers will be out shortly. I do like valerian. Must find a space to fit some in my garden.

I've just bought a couple of red hollyhocks Elizabeth. Haven't planted them yet. I was talking to my son the other day and said it was about time I sorted my garden out to make things easier.

I had ivy growing up the front of the house and decided to get rid of it. I was going to do it a little at a time but when I pulled on it, the whole lot came away from the wall. it's not lying on the grass for now till the recycle bags get emptied in the morning.
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Well, the only thing I have to report is the bloomin snails and slugs have eaten the grandchildrens sunflowers, THIS IS WAR!!!! Oh dear I'm getting carried away.........

The valerian makes its own space in this garden, really a matter of how much energy I have to get rid of as much as I can. I took the last lot and hedge clippings to the dump in my trailer, I looked back when I had finished and there was a trail from my trailer to the big garden waste bin, I cleared up as much as I could and was just turning back to the car and some chap said, "you make a good job clearing up, the council workers don't!" I thought of the mess when they empty our bins over the road and drive over it and collect my pension as wages for doing it, ggggrrrr!

Stones, water, flowing, stones, water, flowing, ooooeerr thats better. :lol:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    Well, the only thing I have to report is the bloomin snails and slugs have eaten the grandchildrens sunflowers, THIS IS WAR!!!! Oh dear I'm getting carried away.........

collect my pension as wages for doing it, ggggrrrr!

Stones, water, flowing, stones, water, flowing, ooooeerr thats better. :lol:

You Ok Airwave??? :?

Snails ate my first cucumbers too naughty naughty Sid :x

Christine you must be upset about the lack of light :( Your son is right it is sensible to make our gardens more easy to manage I think.

Elizabeth. I have started adding those gell sachets to baskets and pots. Also I put the top of a pop bottle into the soil and water into that (not sure who gave me that idea?) it lasts ages that way.

Love

Toni xx
  • applerose
    Options
    I've only managed 1 sunflower. That was last year. It was supposed to be a giant flower but was only 5 foot and about 6 inches across. The snails got all the others. It seems so much worse when they are children's flowers. Hope you are a bit calmer now Airwave.

Beetroots are coming along now. Leeks from last year are now 5 foot high and should flower soon. :lol: Managed to drag all the ivy round to the back garden and have got most of it bagged up. Forgot I had a path beneath the window. Also found an empty plastic lager packaging, empty coke can and plenty of sweet papers. The only place they could have come from was next door. I'm always finding cigarette ends in my back harden which can only have come from them too. Why do people do that? :x We're supposed to be getting some very good weather shortly. Can't wait.
    Christine