Anyone for Gardening?

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    kathbee wrote:
    Can I Ask all you garden experts a question regarding a tree in our back garden which had grown huge and was dangerously near to the conservatory.
    My hubby asked a mate if he could trim it down so he came along, shinned right up the tree and began to cut, and cut and quite honestly got carried away I think, as all we are left with is a totem pole like structure with some arms sticking out. No little fine branches left at all. I nearly had a fit when I saw it.
    So do you reckon we have we said goodbye to our tree for ever? Can't imagine being able to dig it out and replace it as the roots will be massive. Any thoughts please as neither of us know much about plants and trees, even after having various gardens in 47yrs of married life.
    Think I am wanting someone to tell me "all is not lost Kath".
    :roll: :roll:

Applerose and Toni (frogmorton)
    Do you remember me asking for advice about my hacked down tree in our garden?

Well......................

It has grown leaves all over and we are so pleased about that, so all is not lost even though it looked totally decimated.

Phew
    Kath
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    That's wonderful Kath. Hopefully, it will soon look like it's old self.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,811
    Applerose and Toni (frogmorton)
    Do you remember me asking for advice about my hacked down tree in our garden?

Well......................

It has grown leaves all over and we are so pleased about that, so all is not lost even though it looked totally decimated.

Phew
    Kath[/quote]

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so pleased for you Kath :D

It will have a new lease of life now!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • kathbee
    I had thought how can it possibly recover but it has.

From resembling a totem pole
    it looks like a tree once again.

Isn't nature wonderful?

:wink:
    Kath x
  • frogmorton
    It IS Kath :D

Up here we have a lot of slag heaps??? You know from the mines? They have recolonized into lovely hills :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • kathbee
    frogmorton wrote:
    It IS Kath :D

Up here we have a lot of slag heaps??? You know from the mines? They have recolonized into lovely hills :D

Love

Toni xxx

Thats amazing, grass pushing its way up through the slag heaps.

I have got a bit interested in gardening lately and I'm sure its to do with this topic. Not that I can do much in the way of bending, lifting etc. probably a lot like most of us, but I have the hubby for that. :wink:

Scorching hot everywhere, how about that, summer is here at last . It's double watering for the pots and hanging baskets, (hubby needed again), :roll:
    Kath x
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Hi All,
    Got some compost so potatoes are in, fingers crossed they will actually grow lol Also got some dianthus, pretty lil flowers and put them in pots :D
    Well not me OH did it for me last week :lol:

Hope you have all been enjoying the sun and it's not wilting your plants like it's wilting me :lol:

Rose x
  • frogmorton
    Kath it's a lovely interest to have. We have time to 'smell the roses' even if husbands/kids do a bit of the gardening for us :lol: hah!!!

Well done Rose getting a certain young man planting things for you. Fingers crossed you will have yummy tatties before too long :D

Watering like mad yes, all may water butts are empty and our water is on a meter :(

Tomatoes have flowers on them and my cucumbers (mark 2) are doing well too :)
  • applerose
  • frogmorton
    I still think it looks lovely Christine :)

Can someone please come and water my post and baskets and veg while I am away??

Don't trust the 'kids' even if they are supposedly adults now :roll:

Love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    I'm having problems uploading more photos so I'll have another go later.

I'm getting lots of strawberries at the moment so I'm saving some to make ice lollies. The potato leaves are about 8 inches above the top of the bag but I can't add any more soil so that will have to do.

It sounds as if everyone is doing well in their gardens. I'm in and out and in and out with the watering can every evening. Still haven't got the hosepipe sorted out. I'd water your plants if I could Toni. Could you set up an irrigation system on a timer?
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Hi Christine

I have a solar irrigator, but it's poorly so being 'looked at' so in trouble ATM :( It does water from the waterbutts because we are all on water meters here :wink:

I can't do piccies either :?

Tomato plants grown a foot while I was away!!

Love

Toni xx
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,375
    Lovely photos applerose (in your last post) :) , what is that red rose? (a double, isn't it? beautiful colour).

As far as doing well in the garden.. not everything is going entirely to plan for me, still, here's an overdue update.

Flowers have been a disaster, have hardly had anything come up from seed, so the borders are far from the sumptuous vision of tastefulness I had in my mind's eye. :lol: The less said about the beetroot the better, and one or two other things have fallen prey to the heat or just failed mysteriously.

However I do have peas :D , dwarf sweet peas, plenty of herbs, and I joined in with the spinach growing - coming along impressively quickly and troublefree. Lavender is all doing well, and I have hopes for some flowers, from some 'teddy bear sunflower' seeds I was given. Salad has been quite good but growing less well in the heat. The radishes have been very hit and miss, I've taken an artistic portrait of my best specimen (well I was aiming for quality over quantity all along, that's what I'm telling myself anyway lol) . But like you I can't post images.. tried to leave this post yesterday and only twigged today it's the pics that were stopping me, tried it now, it's fine without but not with..

Oh and bindweed is trying to assimilate my greenhouse - nature is always gaining on us, eh.
  • applerose
    Toni, that's a good idea. Hope you get it fixed ok. I bet everything looks bigger now. My tomatoes have also started growing now.

Toady, I don't know what type of rose it is other than it's a patio rose from A*di. Here's a picture, I hope, of the whole plant. I think it needs some canes to support it. No, it said it couldn't determine the size of my pic so I've deleted it. :roll:

I haven't done well with seeds this year. No flowers but do have carrots, leeks, spring onions, beetroots and spinach doing quite well. I don't think the heat is helping them though. Only got 1 pea plant, about 8 inches high and only 2 peapods. I love bindweed but it is very invasive, isn't it?
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    Two weeks I've been away on hols and I have just taken a trailerload of valerian, bindweed and some tall pink weed down the tip, thats it I'm bu&&@£ed for the rest of the day, how do weeds grow so healthily! Theres one or two unwelcome plants popping up through the lawn....

On the plus side, our ignoring of the veg has succeeded, butterbeans, peas, beans, greens are growing well and the scent of sweetpeas is filling the house. Even the rhubarb has grown. Some mowing will have to be started tomorrow. Oh those lazy days of holiday, just a memory so quickly.

The snails and slugs have had the kids sunflowers.
  • applerose
    Yes Airwave, weeds always seem to do so well don't they? Are the pink ones rosebay willowherb? I have some of those and another tall pink ones with only a few small flowers on top. Your plants seem to be doing well too. My beetroots and strawberries are about the only fruit and veg which are growing well. Carrots and sunflowers disappeared. I've had 2 peapods and 6 gooseberries. My loosestrife looks wonderful though.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w566/applerose1/DSC_0501_zps19923aa6.jpg
    Christine
  • applerose
    As you can see in the last photo, the grass was in desperate need of cutting.

Hopefully, this is the red rose I tried to post earlier.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w566/applerose1/DSC_0503_zps1d2dd66c.jpg
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Hey Applerose, the second description sounds about right, the flowers themselves, like a lot of weeds are good looking. Now the early flowers are all gone we could do with some colour round the back (other than green!), I may have to find something to go in the pots?
  • toady
    I'm also pondering what would be best for a bit of colour, haven't really planned that well given that I expected to have flowers now anyway so didn't have a back-up. Not just me it seems with some disappointments. Wish I'd put in some sweet peas myself now, instead of just the dwarfs.

thanks for the other rose pic applerose, i really like that magenta-y red. :) (I noticed the photobucket link you used, the 'IM & email' one, is better/quicker to load than the 'Direct' one, I didn't realise that so I've tried it that way too thanks).

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a637/greenbook7/peas_zpsfe82a2e7.jpg peas

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a637/greenbook7/radish_zpsa3feeb6b.jpg radish :lol:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a637/greenbook7/bee_zpsd8c8c00f.jpg at least the bees appreciate my one large allium

Also wondering what the best use of greenhouse space would be now the lavenders have moved on out. Funny but I don't mind planting things in spring for summer/autumn, say, but can't seem to think in terms of planting now for next spring - even though there's no real difference, patience-wise.
  • toady
    ignore what I said re photobucket, i mixed up the two when i had both types open in separate tabs - having tried it again, it's the direct link that's loading in the simple pic-on-page format, not the other way round - i'm sure it didn't used to, totally confusing :oops:

(do wish you could edit your posts!)
  • applerose
    Those all look good. I don't tend to get round to planting anything for spring. I just rely on the bulbs which I planted a few years ago.

Not to worry about photobucket. I've tried all but the email one. Can never remember which one to use so try each one. One usually says it can't work out the dimensions andd another just won't post. :lol:

Went out last night to water the garden and found my raspberry cane dripping in rasps. I've only picked the reddest as there are too many to eat all at once. Still getting about 10-12 strawberries a night.
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Applerose, that weed we were talking about, I think it may be Himalayan Balsom, a fast growing invasive foreign species, on the tv tonight were groups of people cutting it down and crushing it.

I'm glad I made the effort to get rid of it.
  • applerose
    Ah right. Never thought of that one. We have loads and loads of it growing down by the river. When the seed pods are ripe, if you very gently cover them with your hand, they spring open and tickle. Very strange feeling. Don't think I'd have it in the garden though. As you say, it's too invasive.
    Christine
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    :D my potatoes have started to grow! i don't believe it!!

Oooo lovely raspberries and strawberries you could make some raspberry jam applerose.
  • Airwave!
    Applerose,
    The seeds are spread by the water amongst other means, hence growing on the riverbank.

On another note, we had fresh from the garden, peas and butterbeans for veg tonight, very nice.