Anyone for Gardening?

Options

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I used stump killer and a double strength helping of weed and root killer on the ivy, all to no avail. Next I am going to jump on it and beat it to pulp, unless someone has a better idea?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,583
    Options
    Mmmm... Aiwave it's STILL there? :roll:

Might have to resort to spell-casting methinks :roll:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Well that was a lovely weekend.....I did quite a bit of gerdening on and off - hope everyone else managed to as well?

Now I am worried.....I planted out my runner beans as there is no risk (honestly) of frost here, BUT now there is a severe weather warning for wind here tomorrow :shock:

I have made a not very good makeshift wind-break for them :oops:
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Yes, Toni, it was a fabulous weekend. I managed to get a fair bit of weeding and tidying up done. I've got my beans in my porch still. Didn't get round to putting them outside. All my tomatoes and peppers have died off. I've got a couple of cabbages from last year doing really well. Hope they don't go to seed.

Hope your beans don't get blown about.
    Christine
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,255
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Oh Toady I was gong to suggest the flea beetle because oddly enough the ground is very dry here :?

Have you had your magnifying glass out to peep properly??

Well I have kept a good eye out and seen nothing, and as far as flea beetle goes it doesn't seem to fit as they lay their eggs in the soil apparently, so they can't be the bumpy things. I'm wondering if the chewing and the bumps are actually 2 different things, ie the bumps are just a deformity or something. No sign of anything happening with them, they are just the same as they were. Anyway flea beetle isn't necessarily a disaster it seems so we'll see.

Everything else going well if a little behind schedule. :) Peas planted out & 'twining' nicely, lettuce coming on indoors, rocket looking good, spring onions just coming up today. Potting on my parsley tomorrow and the dwarf sweet peas. My mini greenhouse is up so we'll have a week of rain & gales I expect; it's lighter than expected & I didn't think through how I'm going to anchor it well enough to avoid a falling-over incident so I'm working on that.

I may post some pictures.. (yes we've all seen seedlings before but humour me :lol: )
  • applerose
    Options
    Toady, I've had a mini greenhouse. I put bricks round the bottom to anchor it as we have terrible winds across our gardens as we live on top of a hill.

Meant to say. What a lovely show of dandelions and celandines I have in my garden. I love wild flowers and leave them (although I do dehead the dandelions after a couple of days before they seed).
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Dug up about 40 dandelions over the weekend :lol: can I interest you Christine :wink:

Toady I would LOVE to see your seedlings - please do post them.

I adore this time of year it's sooooo exiting.

Both of you I hope your mini greenhouses survive the dreadful winds (so far my beans are looking ok :? )

Love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    Oooh, yes please Toni. There a fantastic big patch on a piece of green land not far from where I live. I took photos today. :lol:

How do I post a picture? I've tried but can't work it out and can't find how to do it. :?
    Christine
  • toady
    Options
    applerose - if you already have an 'online photo album' type thing, like Photobucket, there is a line of code for each picture you can copy and post here - it will have tags at the beginning and end. There's a max size on this forum I think it's 200 pixels wide from memory.  If you don't have anywhere you can upload photos online you can't do it so it depends if you tend to bother with that sort of thing.  Can explain further if required, this is just a quick post will be around tomorrow.  I have anchored the greenhouse (bricks & some staking arrangement) & it seems ok so far, has certainly had a good testing with the wind today! so if it's stood up to that I should be alright.
  • toady
    Options
    A couple of points to add to my post -

Photobucket have changed lately and their codes are slightly different so I've added a screenshot of what the options actually are (pictures are easier than explanations).

It is 200x200 pixels max for this forum, but if you select an IMG thumbnail you can post a little version of your photo which when clicked will take you to a big version. For example click on this:

th_thumbnail2_zps59cfd02a.jpg
    ^That's the main options you're offered in Photobucket and other sites are probably much the same. If you have a small enough picture you would copy the code from under the picture where it says 'IMG' - if you have a large picture you'd copy the 'IMG thumb' and that's your clickable thumbnail.

Another example - this picture of dandelions 8) , which is bigger than 200 wide but if you click you can view it larger.

th_field_zps051f5bf3.jpg
  • applerose
    Options
    Thank you for your help Toady. I've opened a photobucket account so will have a go at posting a picture later. You chose a great picture there. :lol:
    Christine
  • toady
    Options
    Great! :D (set your album to 'private' if you don't want everyone to be able to see all your pictures; in 'user settings' in the drop-down menu under your username, if you haven't come across it already)
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I can't wait to see some piccies fellow-gardeners :D

we have great weather for weeds here - sunshine and showers :roll:
  • toady
    Options
    Right, piccies it is. :) All are a week or two behind now so some things have been thinned potted on etc since.

Peas, while they were indoors in their newspaper pots. They are your actual Birdseye lol, I sent for them through something or other.
    th_peas_zpsccc79056.jpg

Starting to hang on to their string-y support:
    th_peas2_zps5d118aca.jpg

Radishes - looking ok so far:
    th_rad_zps5c202ee8.jpg

The spring onions were a false alarm, v few came up so have started again & tweaked their growing conditions.
  • toady
    Options
    (2 part post, only 3 urls per post apparently).

Indoor lettuces, rocket & parsley:
    th_lett_zps6c25b36e.jpgth_rocket_zpsb42761f1.jpgth_pars_zps46d2d2df.jpg

[Click for full size images.]

We had some sun on Thursday so my outdoor stuff is probably still in shock. :roll:
  • applerose
    Options
    They are coming on nicely Toady.

Yesterday I managed to cut the grass and peg out a polytunnel. I then sowed carrots inbetween 2 rows of leeks from last year, peas, runner beans, giant artichoke, sweet peas and I sprinkled poppy seeds round the garden.

Still haven't uploaded any pics yet but I will.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Wow Toady!!!!

they are fantastic :D My spring onions always take forever to sprout :roll: Please keep posting them - I must take some piccies :oops:

hang on I got last years runner beans.... th_015.jpgspring onions Toady!
    The sun was out a minute ago, but gone again now :roll: Still I hope to get back out today.th_018.jpg last years potato bags I think :oops:

'Old' potatoes going out :wink: In spud bags - have had success with them the last 3 years and thay are still going strong (the bags)

Hey did I tell you the milkman now delivers compost, top soil etc to the door :D Needless to say I have ordered some no carrying :wink:
  • toady
    Options
    applerose wrote:
    They are coming on nicely Toady.

Yesterday I managed to cut the grass and peg out a polytunnel. I then sowed carrots inbetween 2 rows of leeks from last year, peas, runner beans, giant artichoke, sweet peas and I sprinkled poppy seeds round the garden.

Thank you applerose :) nothing on the scale of yours or frogmorton's (envy) but I'm improving, at least. I've made a proper effort to learn about planting times and so on this year, so that can only help - as opposed to planting radishes in the height of summer. :oops: With my past history with things that have to form a bulb etc (beetroot, onions, radishes) I will be very well pleased if I get results in that line.
    My lettuces are a bit leggy.. but even if I start them outdoors for better light they seem to do it regardless.
    frogmorton wrote:
    Wow Toady!!!! they are fantastic :D

Thank you too, your encouragement is welcome. :) That's a nice tidy garden. I take it that's last year's disappointing sweet peas on the left? I haven't tried potatoes in bags but maybe sometime.

yes I get my compost from the 'milk & more' man too, since they expanded to an online service & all the extra stuff it's been enormously handy for me.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh yes Toady it was last years sweet peas - Did I say i take comfort from knowing Monty Don failed too :wink:

Guess what?

(Apart form the sun shining) My spring onions form this year are there....teeny tiny and still with the shoot folded in half like they start, but THERE :):)

Have you been out today Toady or any other fellow gardeners?

Love

Toni xx
  • toady
    Options
    I was indeed out yesterday :) and some of today, though not so much, as I went out for a little while (yes, actually out of the house).

Mostly potting on lavender plants (bought not grown), 33 of them now in the aforementioned greenhouse. And watering and poking about generally. My land cress is coming up, be interested to see how that goes.

Spring onions.. ah, one day, frogmorton, one day. 8)

Can anyone identify this plant for me? I've had it for years & can't remember if I bought it initially as a houseplant or just that I kept it indoors. Been potted on a couple of times but it's fairly cramped now, I'd plant it outdoors but not sure what it would like, and how big it would get. From the leaves it looks a bit citrussy to me? but has certainly never done anything interesting.

th_tree1_zps5946c003.jpg

th_tree2_zps3abe98b7.jpg

Will update other things with pics soon, there was not much light left today. In the meantime - parsley babies, all growing on nicely in their own pots. :D
    th_parsley5_zpsd930c5c1.jpg
  • applerose
    Options
    2f9ddeb5-ef62-43f1-a80b-821ddd3a8439_zps6ef03b78.jpg
    Christine
  • applerose
    Options
    Yaaay, I did it. This is my garden with euphorbias in the front and dandelions in front of the swing. :lol:
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    HI Toady

looks citrusy to me too, but I have an idea. I would take it to my local garden centre to the help desk and ask them. Ours is great for this.....they really helped when my damson tree split in half a few years back. (It's still going :) )

All your little babies look good there, I caught the sun yesterday, so like you didn't do too much. Pottering is about right.

Christine I love your garden :D It looks really pretty and cottagy :D

Well-done you! I might take some photos later today if it stays dry enough

Love

Toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    Options
    I put stump killer and double strength root and weed killer into the sprayer and soaked the ivy a few weeks ago and its still sitting there ignoring me, apart from shoulder wrenching activities with a rake it won't budge, wind/rain/frost/snow/sun it just keeps growing, I haven't tried fire yet........:mrgreen:

The weeds are doing well, bindweed and goose stuff going well, I'm trying to teach granddaughter to pick daisies and buttercups, the eldest will transport them in his wheelbarrow for me but someone has to pick them.

We actually have a flower on a marrow plant, so much love and attention for it. Spinnach is doing well as is rhubarb and new gooseberry and redcurrent bushes on the new sloping fruit patch, well, they haven't actually died yet. Despite tales of snails and slugs in press, we haven't had to put any slug pellets down yet.

All my effort is paying off with the grass, fed lots of expensive stuff, regular cuts, tlc etc etc it is green and continuing to grow around the weeds, some have gone and some just stare back at me, oh well! Gardening as usual. Apple, pear and plum trees are looking good...... and oh has been seen in the greenhouse!

Oh and I have sewn about 5000 poppy seeds.
  • applerose
    Options
    I was so tired after finally getting the photo on, I didn't say anything. :shock:

Toady, I think your plant looks citrussy too. Good idea of Toni's to take it to the garden centre for help identifying it. 33 lavender plants repotted? Wow, don't think I could manage that much. Well done. Your parsley is looking good.

Airwave, Fire? :shock: :lol: I've just had a fence replaced which was covered in ivy. I cut it at the base and the fencers took away the fence plus most of the ivy. :D It is still growing through the plants round the pond though so, every now and again, I just pull some of it up. I've also got it growing through the hedge at the front but there is a nest in there so I don't want to whip that and the babies out along with the ivy so I'll have to put up with it for now.

Hope you get a lovely big marrow. I can not get rhubarb to grow. I've bought some 3 times now and the last lot has died off over the last few weeks. Do you do anything special with yours? Doesn't seem to be a lot of slug action in my garden either. Only the hosta in the front garden has been chewed a bit. 5000 poppy seeds? Wow. That would look fantastic if they all came up.

Lots of blossom on my fruit trees so looking forward to plenty of apples, cherries, pears, gooseberries, raspberries and plums. Blueberry is growing well but no flowers yet.

There are a few leeks from last year growing well. No sign of carrots yet or lettuce or beans but a couple of sweet peas are popping their heads through the soil. Too windy out there now to go out.
    Christine