Hi
    Thanks for the tip about the apricots......must try those

Love
    Hileena
  • RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello to everyone. I`m another new member, and am so pleased to have found this thread already. I need to lose three stone, but will be happy with anything that takes me in that direction. I`m going on holiday in September, and that is my main focus for the weight loss right now.

It will be good to pick up advice, tips and support. Bring it on! Rosie.
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcome, Fols, and a friendly wave to newcomers AndMac and RosieGlow :D

Thanks also to emsjane for reminding me that dried apricots exist! I try not to snack between meals too often, but I do build up an appetite through working hard - and nibbling at fruit rather than biscuits is a good move healthwise.

Bit of a confession today: I treated my mum to a meal out yesterday evening for her birthday and I had a big bacon cheeseburger. Oops! Good news, though: I opted for the lightest dessert on the menu, frozen yogurt. Just as tasty as ice cream, but a few less calories. And I'm being sensible today, of course.

Happy and healthy eating!
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Heya everyone.

Brilliant to see some new peeps here and great to see some tips coming through.

I now have a dreadful confession. I have tried really hard to change to sweetener in my cuppa (I do love a good cuppa), but I can't do it. It leaves a nasty aftertaste I just don't like. So I'm still on a spoon of sugar per cuppa, that's about 5 a day :o I need to change to something better - any ideas?

Oh and I discovered that Chinese 5 Spice on salmon then pan-cooked with a tiny bit of butter is very lush. Served it with asparagus and sugar snap peas and hubby and son wanted more so must have been good.

Will do a weigh in for myself on Sunday night (and a dress fit).

Keep the ideas coming and keep up the good work all of you.

Fols x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    emsjane - dried apricots are a good source of iron too

fols - chinese five spice with soya sauce and oil makes a good marinade for tuna too
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    Ohh thanks Stickywicket, that's interesting to know as i probably need an iron boost being a veggie :D
    LOVE EMMA X
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Emma
    That makes 2 of us.....I know we can get iron from green leafy veg and loads of other places but i always seem to be anaemic

Love
    Hileena
  • Folara
    Options
    Raw spinach is actually really nice in a salad or sarnie as well.

I've been really good with my Sprite addiction, not had any for a week now but I still can't kick the sugar in tea thing.

Oh and dried banana is really yummy and very sweet too.

I may be bad tomorrow as I think I will need some choc after my back injections. Purely medicinal of course. :lol:

Did anyone see that report that red meat is now linked with cancer?

Fols x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Folara wrote:
    I've been really good with my Sprite addiction, not had any for a week now but I still can't kick the sugar in tea thing.

The Sprite thing is brilliant, Fols.

One thing at a time.
    Steven Wright
  • RosieGlow
    Options
    Wayhay!!! I`ve lost 1 lb......Rosie.
  • Folara
    Options
    I do laugh at myself. What an addiction to have eh? Sprite!

Anyhoo thanks mate.

A massive well done to Rosie. Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey. :wink:
    (need a clapping hands smiley).

Fols x
  • emsjane
    Options
    g015.gif

There you go! :lol:
    LOVE EMMA X
  • emsjane
    Options
    Empire Apples are particularly lovely at the moment, especially straight out of the fridge!! They are crispy and juicy, delicious!! :D
    LOVE EMMA X
  • jaja
    jaja Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi Fols and all....just reporting in...been on the healthy eating since Sunday...doing ok..decided to try for a stone by June aswell...thats as far as Im thinking will reasses then....sweetners in hot drinks...yes i know what you mean...given up sweetening altogether takes a while to get use to it but i have now...and now dont have it on cereal even porridge...have gone down to the 1% milk aswell..(not skimmed,the red one) the purple one...its quite ok in hot drinks and on cereal...gone off butter or spread totally..using a thin spread of th very low fat mayo instead....we'll get there we builing up great tips on this thread!

JAJA
  • Folara
    Options
    Thanks emsjane, I'm a bit of a technical disaster area lol

Well done to JAJA as well. (clapping hands again).

I have tried to not have sugar in my tea but yuck. However someone as told me you can get half sugar and it's ok so I'm gonna look for that then very slowly cut the sugar down till I no longer take any.

Never knew you could get purple milk. I will have a look when I do my tesco online shop. Is it ok to freeze like normal milk?

Oh I have been very good on the toast front. Used eat a shed load as I'm too lazy to do much just for me but I've not had ANY all week. So that's no Sprite and no toast. :D

Fols x
  • jaja
    jaja Member Posts: 135
    Options
    hi fols....yes well the milks not purple..lol..sos the packaging is where i get it from...blue..whole..4%fat.green...2% fat..red...0.01% (really no fat) but the purple is 1%fat and i really cant tell difference from the green and your halving the fat content...sounds really picky doesnt it ...but if you can change things that you cant tell then you dont miss it and you stand a better chance of keeping to it....
    JAJA
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Folara wrote:
    Did anyone see that report that red meat is now linked with cancer?

Eek! Yes, wasn't there something in the papers last week or the week before about red meat being bad in general? I try to avoid it, but sometimes my cravings take over. Apparently bacon counts as red meat too, not white as I'd thought. Not happy!
    Folara wrote:
    Oh I have been very good on the toast front. Used eat a shed load as I'm too lazy to do much just for me but I've not had ANY all week. So that's no Sprite and no toast. :D

Good news! I love toast, but what helped me cut down is my wheat/gluten intolerance as gluten-free bread is ridiculously expensive! Someone told me you can get it free on prescription, though. I've been snacking on Corn Thins lately, tastier than rice cakes and filling with just a small scrape of light spread...
    emsjane wrote:
    Empire Apples are particularly lovely at the moment, especially straight out of the fridge!! They are crispy and juicy, delicious!! :D

... but this has reminded me that I should be stocking up on fruit! Thanks, emsjane :)
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi you have a really good incentive to help carry you through the diet. If you feel tempted, just remember the dress!!! Good luck, Love Sue xx
  • Folara
    Options
    How is everyone doing?

I have been really poorly following the back injections so I seem to have lost a lot but ts not a real loss is it?

I have to go get some fruit later and I actually have a real craving for it. The joy of having my 15 year old home for the hols mean I can get out and about a bit more as he's such a great help so the extra movement will probably do me good too.

Fols x
  • emsjane
    Options
    Hi Fols,

Sorry to hear you have been feeling poorly, good that you've lost weight though! :)

I had a bad weekend as it was my son's 16th birthday and we went out for a meal and had birthday cake and ive had my mum staying, so weve had a few treats, although she is on a diet too, lol! :D

I think over the last 3 weeks ive lost 3lbs, so a pound a week! It is the time of the month for me and i always put some on around this time, so im hoping for a good weight loss this week!!!! Ive been good today and the nice sunshine is helping as im in a better mood too :D

Keep up the good work everyone!!
    LOVE EMMA X
  • RosieGlow
    Options
    Hey Fols, a loss is a loss no matter how it comes about! I am sorry that you have been having such a rough time though.

I`ll be checking again in a couple of days. I don`t feel like I`ve lost owt, but hey ho, I might be in a for a nice surprise.......or a flamin shock!!.....Rosie.
  • Folara
    Options
    Emma, you are excused for this week. Everyone is entitled to let their hair down. Anyway no point in weighing when it's THAT time, I always bloat up and put about 4lbs on. I'm sure it's water retention or errrrrrm something :?

Rosie I bet you have done ok. It's always the way when you don't feel like you have lost anything. Then when you have starved yourself all week and you are positive you have lost at least half a stone, you've not.

Dinner tonight is homemade pasta stuffed with beef in chianti with a spicy chilli sauce. Pasta isn't the best thing in the world but at least home made its healthy (sort of).

Fols x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Home made pasta? Then you must factor in calories expended while preparing it :lol: I've always thought of pasta as a healthy food anyway because you stay full after it so no temptation to snack..
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Slimming world tomorrow night....not really lokking forward to it....havent been for 2 weeks...last week was so sunny {its at 5pm} and we were out and i didnt rush back :oops:
    This week hasnt been great either.....stuck in the hospital from 8am until 3pm {in a cubicle} so lunch was mars bar and coffee ...Oh loads of other things as well....like tonight....It was our arthritis care branch meetings AGM and there was a buffet....Well I'm a vegetarian and cant eat the sausage rolls and meaty quiches and meaty/fishy sandwiches that are there.....so what do I do????? fill up on loads of sweet stuff :oops:
    I enjoyed it but it doesnt do any good for a weight loss especially stepping on the scales tomorrow :o Oh well!!! cant be helped
    Love
    Hileena
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I had a physic gastric band fitted at the weekend and really felt my tummy tighten when it was fitted.

I have tried various diets over the years and none of them have worked, so I thought I would give this a try.

I also have been asked to keep a food journal.

My weight on Saturday before I got the band was 15stone.
    I am hoping to lose at least 2 stone.

Will post an update this week after the 1st week and will let you know how I am doing.