HEALTHY EATING

Options

Comments

• Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Heya all. Sorry not been around much. Having a bit of a tough time atm. Extremely exhausted and everything hurting so have been dosing up on meds and staying in bed. My BHR has definately got a problem as its so painful now and it gave way the other day.

So - food. Hmmm not really eaten anything sensible in all honesty so I need to start again.

To all of you who have had a bad time with it and are struggling, don't be too hard on yourself. Try to just change ONE thing only. That could be replacing the mid morning biscuits and cuppa with a pice of fruit and a cuppa. Remember this is a change for life so it has to be something that's not drastic or that you feel tied down with.

To those who are still doing well. YAY!!!!

Fols x
  • RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Hi Fols, So sorry that you are having such a tough time. I think it would be a bit unrealistic for you to be thinking about eating habits at present. Apart from all the pain, you have the additional worry about what`s going on with your BHR. For now, you don`t need any added pressures. Feel better soon.

To date, I`ve managed to lose half a stone, which has given me the incentive to continue. Bloody hard though!!.......Rosie......x
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Its all about habits and changing them with diet, finding an alternative that suits you....With the things that life throws at you it can be hard but if you are used to going for the healthy option eg snacking on grapes or crispbreads and topping rather than the choccy it will be good in the long run...That said everyone needs a treat and a little something in a while doesnt hurt and there are lots of sweet/savoury treats that are not so fattening...Its all about reading the packaging too the fat/sugar percentage can be lethal...
    In past 3-4 months i dont eat potatoes and have extra veg instead as i find them and bread put the weight on me so a boiled egg with toast on a sunday is the most bread i eat...It does make a difference for me...

Good luck folks, it aint easy or swift!

Elainex
  • RosieGlow
    Options
    Elaine, you gave me some great tips to overcome the lack of chocolate etc. A couple of those mini meringues that you suggested, with a WW yoghurt poured over them, and a few grapes and/or strawberries mixed in, is a lovely dessert, and very filling. Also, allowing myself two jaffa cakes, with an Options chocolate drink really satisfies my late night choccy craving......AND, it`s all working!!!!! I reckon I`m eating around 1300/1500 calories a day, although I`m not going mad with the counting. As long as I see some results, I`m happy. I`m managing five minutes, three times a day, on my exercise bike too. Can`t do fifteen all together just yet. Hopefully, I will be able to do longer in time. The good thing is, I`m not really hungry at all, and it`s made me realise that a lot of stuff was just habit.......Thanks again......Rosie....x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Rosie

Well I dont count the calories either but I reckon my daily intake is 1300-1400 and I think that is sensible, not denying myself and Im doing what I can exercisewise....
    The yogurt thing is good as you can get some good flavoured low cal yogurts (I have to have soya as have IBS but enjoy the Alpro vanilla) and also frozen ice cream is back in Asda that is dairy free for me too so im quite happy...
    Also when places like Aldi have fresh fruit and veg at really affordable prices there is no need to skimp on that too...Ive taken a liking to dates too, they are sweet but its natural sugar so its not the so bad stuff...I do love my pink and white marshmallows but only have them as a treat...
    The exercise bike youre doing is good...The one I use at gym is recumbent so its not so upright which I cant manage and im quite happy puffing away on that..I never do any great speeds but i get there...I also have dumbbells in house (you can do few exercises sitting) and weighted ball along with ankle weights my nieces got me for crimbo so I can do my little mini workout when i feel up to it..

Youre doing great Rosie, keep it up!!

Elainex
    RosieGlow wrote:
    Elaine, you gave me some great tips to overcome the lack of chocolate etc. A couple of those mini meringues that you suggested, with a WW yoghurt poured over them, and a few grapes and/or strawberries mixed in, is a lovely dessert, and very filling. Also, allowing myself two jaffa cakes, with an Options chocolate drink really satisfies my late night choccy craving......AND, it`s all working!!!!! I reckon I`m eating around 1300/1500 calories a day, although I`m not going mad with the counting. As long as I see some results, I`m happy. I`m managing five minutes, three times a day, on my exercise bike too. Can`t do fifteen all together just yet. Hopefully, I will be able to do longer in time. The good thing is, I`m not really hungry at all, and it`s made me realise that a lot of stuff was just habit.......Thanks again......Rosie....x
  • Folara
    Options
    Tut tut tut you lot. I pop off for a little while as I'm having a tough old time with tiredness and stiffness and pain and you all forget to keep this going.

So how are you all doing? Anyone lost any or put some on?

Anyone seen the new ryvita thins? Oh my they are lush. I love salmon and prawns so I have them for lunch topped off with that.

I'm also really getting into peppermint tea. I normally drink about 8 cups of tea a day and try as I might I have to have a sugar so I decided to try something different. It's really refreshing and supposed to be good for the digestion. That's a bonus as my digestive system is knackered with all the meds.

Not tried the dress on for a bit but will work harder this week and give it a go at the weekend.

Oh and I have another exciting bit of news and a good incentive. I'm off to watch the Burlesque Show and I am going to dress up too.

Fols x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Folara

Ive been ttrying to find those ryvita thins but our morrisons and asda havent had them in stock yet..I buy the asda crispbreads, really push the boat out, think its 54p for a pack!
    Re the sugar have you tried that Stevia new thing thats been advertised on tv a fair bit, its from a leaf and supposed to be calorie free....
    My folks make me laugh they still go to m and s and come back with cream cakes saying to me "a profiterole or an eclair isnt too fattening"...tyring to get me to join in but i stick to my yogurt, fruit and mini meringues...

Enjoy the burlesque...

elainex
    Folara wrote:
    Tut tut tut you lot. I pop off for a little while as I'm having a tough old time with tiredness and stiffness and pain and you all forget to keep this going.

So how are you all doing? Anyone lost any or put some on?

Anyone seen the new ryvita thins? Oh my they are lush. I love salmon and prawns so I have them for lunch topped off with that.

I'm also really getting into peppermint tea. I normally drink about 8 cups of tea a day and try as I might I have to have a sugar so I decided to try something different. It's really refreshing and supposed to be good for the digestion. That's a bonus as my digestive system is knackered with all the meds.

Not tried the dress on for a bit but will work harder this week and give it a go at the weekend.

Oh and I have another exciting bit of news and a good incentive. I'm off to watch the Burlesque Show and I am going to dress up too.

Fols x
  • RosieGlow
    Options
    Hiya everyone,

Well, I was going great guns, and then suddenly this last week, seem to have hit a brick wall, and lost nowt, even though I`m still sticking rigidly to 1200/1300 calories daily. Reading stuff online from nutritionists, it seems that this can happen when the body starts re-acting against fewer calories, and the metabolism is lowered. Most seem to suggest having what they refer to as a "cheat day", once a week, to get the metabolism up again. I`m doing what I can, exercise wise, with my bike, but I`m wondering if it`s enough, and what else I can do at home.

Will look out for the Ryvita thins, although I am quite liking the Ryvita crispbread with cracked black pepper, or with Mediterranean herbs. Also the Laughing Cow extra light cheese triangles are nice, at only 20 calories each.......Rosie....x.
  • Annah
    Annah Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Rosie,
    I've been looking into the 'science of dieting' thing and it seems that you are correct: the less you eat, the slower your metabolism. Which is why lots of people find they get fatter the more diets they do (I'm a case in point).

Unfortunately, I haven't found a sure-fire way of correcting this problem. Exercise doesn't work (the body makes exercise more efficient so that doesn't burn off calories either) and once the metabolism is re-set at the lower level, it takes a lot time for it to return to normal. So whilst it might be worth trying a 'cheat' day, the theory suggests it won't work.

All that does seem to work is just doggedly continuing with the healthy diet and exercise in the long-term. Which is what I'm trying to do (or at least trying to try to do).

At least healthy eating is good for you, whatever your weight. Well done.
  • Folara
    Options
    Elaine - I saw that advertised and yes I will give it a go cos I do love a cuppa, especially when it's cold and wet.

Rosie - you are doing really well and yes you do need a day when you eat a bit more. It's not just the metabolism that slows but if you are not careful your body can go into starvation mode whereby it will store fat but burn muscle. So I reckon once a week, say Sunday have a bacon buttie for breakfast, a lovely roast dinner and a nice pud with custard :o).

Annan - any good tips or nice products you find let us know on here. I can thoroughly recommend the cook in the bag fish. I love fish but can't stand the smell in the house. These don't seem to leave any nasty niffs.

Delboy - I am so lucky my lot eat anything. Hubby is a bit fussy about too much veg but I don't just boil them so it makes them more interesting. Currently I am enjoying asparagus, courgettes and mushrooms in garlic butter. Mmmm nom nom nom.

Don't forget any good ideas of testing of new products will be great to hear about.

It's not about losing weight as it is about changing eating habits and making lifestyle changes. Nothing is a bad food if eaten in moderation.

I really miss exercise. I used to go to the gym 4 times a week for up to two hours, swim and of course compete in high level dressage. I'm a coach potato now and can only do a little stretching and a very small amount of strengthening exercises with my physio. I am however determined to carry on riding and manage a plod twice a week whilst dosed up with morphine.

Keep us all updated and don't let the thread disappear.

Fols x
  • Annah
    Annah Member Posts: 92
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    With a family of food fads (GF & Dairy Free + a vegetarian) I've found lots of ways to cook using alternatives to meat and dairy. Soy protein and cream are just two. There are a myriad ways of cooking veg other than boiling or roasting.

I think you'd relate to my problems then!

I'm vegetarian, although I'm not strict. I'm supposed to be on a high-fibre diet and I'm allergic to nuts and various fruits. One child has a gut disorder and has to be on a low residue (low fibre) diet and is somewhat lactose intolerant (low dairy diet). Another child has problems with textures, due to her disability, so won't eat 'slimy' things (mushrooms, beans, mashed potato).

So basically I'm looking for low fibre vegetarian food without dairy or potato! :lol:
  • Folara
    Options
    Blimey Annah I'm so glad I don't have to cook for you and your lot. It must be really hard to find anything you can all sit down and eat.

I complain about having to think of what's for dinner and we are easy to feed.

Good luck with it hun.

Fols x
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi people,

Well, I'm still trying to be good, but it's a bit tricky at the moment as I'm wildly hormonal :( :x :P and the only thing that's easing all the pain is chocolate! :oops:

I don't suppose anyone knows of a healthier way of coping? :?:

Hope you're all well today,
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • RosieGlow
    Options
    Pheobe......Can I have a bit of choc please? I thought I may have forgotten how good it tastes, but no such bloody luck!!

I`m still allowing myself an Options chocolate drink - some lovely flavours - and two jaffa cakes in the evening, and that has to take care of my choccy cravings.

Another 2 lbs and I will have lost a stone, so I`m not giving in now......Rosie.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Rosie

You can still have chocolate you can have a kit kat (99cals) or I get the small bars of chocolate from Aldi (moser roth) they do milk with orange or dark choc with mint or chilli....The key is to have it as a treat and not an evreyday occurence...
    Well done on weight loss so far...

Elainex
    RosieGlow wrote:
    Pheobe......Can I have a bit of choc please? I thought I may have forgotten how good it tastes, but no such bloody luck!!

I`m still allowing myself an Options chocolate drink - some lovely flavours - and two jaffa cakes in the evening, and that has to take care of my choccy cravings.

Another 2 lbs and I will have lost a stone, so I`m not giving in now......Rosie.
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Many thanks to Rosie and Elaine for posting those tips!

The storm is passing, so I've been a bit better today and I've managed a few more exercises too. Part of the trouble is that I've had quite a lot of visitors recently and they've all brought chocolate as a gift. I suppose I'll have to encourage them to bring healthier presents or request that they place the chocolate in a cupboard out of reach!

Congrats on your weight loss, Rosie :D

Have a lovely weekend!
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Folara
    Options
    Yay well done Rosie that's a fab achievement.

I think Milky Ways are fairly 'light' for the choccy crave.

My cooker has gone kaput so I only have a George Foreman Grill and a microwave to cook with and it's really difficult. I normally get things on the go before getting son from school so when everyone gets home it's nearly done. I love cooking good old fashioned yummy dinners with loads of veg but I can't do any of that. I need a slow cooker as well so I can do curries and casseroles and stuff.

Oh and Tesco have NOT helped on the diet side either. I ordered 2 Belgium chocolate eclairs as a treat for the boys and guess what I got?

TEN assorted chocolate and fresh cream cakes AND I didn't pay for them. I tried VERY hard to resist, no honestly I really did. It was just too much tho and I ate a toffee meringue. OMG it was lush.

Oh and another thing, have you seen Dawn French recently. Wow she looks GORGEOUS. Apparently she is at 16 stone and just by eating healthily and rationing her choc to one bar (I wonder how many she ate before?).

Anyway, keep up the good work all and have a lovely weekend.

Fols x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Re Dawn French

I think she has done great as she was without a doubt a walking heart attack....The issue I have with her is the size she says she is - a 16? Well she is same height as me and apparently she was 20stone to begin with and a size 22...I was 17stone to begin with, now 13.9....I can still only get into size 20, maybe 18 trousers, 18 top....So think if she is 16stone she aint a size 16....It just irritates me when people say they are something thats not true..

Elainex
    Folara wrote:
    Yay well done Rosie that's a fab achievement.

I think Milky Ways are fairly 'light' for the choccy crave.

My cooker has gone kaput so I only have a George Foreman Grill and a microwave to cook with and it's really difficult. I normally get things on the go before getting son from school so when everyone gets home it's nearly done. I love cooking good old fashioned yummy dinners with loads of veg but I can't do any of that. I need a slow cooker as well so I can do curries and casseroles and stuff.

Oh and Tesco have NOT helped on the diet side either. I ordered 2 Belgium chocolate eclairs as a treat for the boys and guess what I got?

TEN assorted chocolate and fresh cream cakes AND I didn't pay for them. I tried VERY hard to resist, no honestly I really did. It was just too much tho and I ate a toffee meringue. OMG it was lush.

Oh and another thing, have you seen Dawn French recently. Wow she looks GORGEOUS. Apparently she is at 16 stone and just by eating healthily and rationing her choc to one bar (I wonder how many she ate before?).

Anyway, keep up the good work all and have a lovely weekend.

Fols x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    A few more tips to beat the sweet cravings...

Dates, very sticky but good for you and one of your five a day....
    Malt Loaf (Soreen or own store types) are very low in fat and again taste quite naughty so you feel youre having a treat....

Elainex
  • barking1
    barking1 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Well done all who are still battling to lose and thankyou for the tips i joined a well established diet class 3 weeks ago and i have lost 11 pound so far so fingers crossed its working , even though i am on the steroids , good luck everyone xx Jane
  • Folara
    Options
    I know what you mean Elaine. I know that tv is said to add a few pounds but there's no way she's in a size 16. I weigh in at just over 15 stone now and I'm in a size 20 bottoms and 22 up top.

I had no idea soreen fruit loaf was low in fat cos it's sooo moist and yummy. I know that doesn't mean I can eat a whole loaf but a nice sticky slice will be a welcome treat.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Fols x
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi all,

Great thread!!! I've struggled with my weight for most of my life, up and down and up again, probably lost my own weight three times over the years ... lol! I've always been pretty active - I've done lots of walking, running and cycling over the years and even now won't jump in the car for a journey of less than a mile (weather permitting).

At Christmas my weight peaked at 16.2 and since then I have made conscience decision to trim down by getting out walking more often (I got a little lazy around November when my ankles first showed signs of OA) for several reasons, mainly to regain my fitness, to tone up and lose some weight - plus I didn't want to follow my older brother in developing diabetes (the last I heard my younger brother was warned he was pre-diabetic ... every time I've been checked I've been fine). I'm an asthmatic with OA, neither of which I could avoid, but with diabetes I have a choice!

So, whilst cutting back a bit on portions, I've been getting out walking when I can (even managed about 20 miles one week) ... as long as it's not stairs or steep hills my knees cope quite well.

At first my weight dropped quite easily to 15.7 and 15.10, between which it would fluctuate over a week. Frustratingly no matter what I did up until three weeks ago I could NOT get under 15.7 although the weekly fluctuation was only a pound by then ... lol. Then three weeks ago, a week where I didn't get out walking after work as it was raining every day when I got home I suddenly cracked the 15.7 by two pounds!!!

And the week before last I dropped another two pounds!!! Then last Saturday, the cold conditions caused a flare up in my ankles/heels and knees - which has made standing up uncomfortable, never mind walking! Yet I still managed to drop another pound ... so that's now a full stone I've lost since Chrissie! I've still got a few couple more to go though!

Usually when I'm walking I have to slow to my wife's pace, today it me having to slow her down!

One thing I have noticed at the doctors is the BMI weight graph would mean - for me, to get into my ideal weight range, at the top end - I'd have bones sticking out everywhere! I was 27 when I was last, briefly, at that weight - 11.7!!!! And I was extremely fit and dehydrated having just finished the London Marathon!!! I would look like a walking skeleton if I ever reached the low end of my ideal weight range!!!

Anyway I wish you all all the best in achieving your weight loss goals.

Scozzie
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I am one of the lucky people i can eat absolutely anything and dont put on weight so SEND ME ALL YOUR CHOCOLATE and i will eat it for you,i did lose a few pounds today due to eating half a bag of pontifract cakes!!Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's such a difficult area, isn't it? I know the drill is to eat less and move around more - I can do the first but the second is not that easy. :wink: I'm sticking to the cutting-one-thing-out-at-a-time thing as that seems to work for me but if I slip a little, so what? Surely wagons are there to be re-mounted and there is nothing more dull than a total refusnik. Savoury is now winning over sweet every time - last week-end at a dinner with fellow deserted wives (stag week-end for the blokes :roll: ) I refused the apparently 'lovely' chocs and stuck to the cheese biccies- so much nicer and not so fattening! DD

PS Well done Scozzie, I reckon you are doing OK mate, one way and another and you have a good attitude. How tall are you? I'm around 5' 7" and my heaviest was a darm sight more than yours. I'm now around 14.5 stone, I was less than that in March but that was when I had a touch of the trots - which doesn't count!

PPS Hello Mig, I hope I'm forgiven for my unseemly laughter. :oops:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Nothing to forgive DD. Mig