Just Saying .....

DebbieT
DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
edited 3. Nov 2013, 09:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I thought I'd do a post to get a few bits & bobs down.

My Dad is in hospital, He has Pneumonia, COPD & a ct scan has diagnosed blood clots in his lungs then today the medical Dr noticed he has some lymph nodes that appear swollen & with 'unidentified shadows' that he also saw on the scan they are going to biopsy for cancer ... They are going to scan his abdomen to see if anything is found there too :( We're all pretty shocked, in limbo waiting .....
Mum is 65 yrs old tomorrow (29th).

(Pocket Duties aren't necessary but thank you :))
I've got a chest ct Friday, I've also gotta get an xray of my hip to see if it's bad enough to need a referral, I don't think it will be, I hope not anyway. I'm not gonna have the time.

I'm on steroids for asthma ... It's calmed the pain from this flare a little, bonus.

Tomorrow I've been a non smoker for 8 weeks!!

That's about it. I hope ure all as well as possible.xx
Healing Hugs
Debbie.x

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Debbie, very sorry to hear your news. It must be tough for you all at the moment. I hope things go well for your father.

Well done for staying off the ****, that is no mean feat as I know myself! Helps a lot with the asthma though.
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Huge hugs Debbie x Please let us know how things go with your Dad, fingers and toes crossed for you all.

And huge congrats with your non-smoking progress! x
    Toots x
  • DebbieT
    Thank you both.x

On first hearing the news I automatically wanted to light a **** up ... How utterly inappropriate :? I'm so glad I didn't & had already given them the heave ho ... Dad n Mum are chuffed :)
    I think 300 a week was causing my chest n asthma lots of problems. Wow ... that amount never sounds smaller, I'm so embarrassed :oops:

I'll post an update wen I'm able.
    (I wish I could sleep :()

xx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Hi Debbie. Am sorry to hear you are having a rough time and do hope the news of your father is good. Well done re quitting smoking, it can only help you and think of the money you are saving! Am available for pocket duties as and when needed. Take care.

Beryl. (((())))
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh my word, what a lot you have going on, I am so sorry. Please let us know how he and you get on - and of course you reached for a cigarette, that was the old behaviour but well done on NOT lighting up which is your new behaviour. All credit to you, girl. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh bless Debbie that is so much to cope with ...you might not need pocket duties but at least you can talk to us and get this all out :) I will be thinking of your dad..and your mum,,what a birthday present.. :roll:
    You really have done well giving up smoking...you keep it up..and please let us no how your dad gets on (((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elsa56
    elsa56 Member Posts: 98
    Sorry to hear yours news. Hope you soon get all the answers you need.
    Keep posative and well done with the smoking, just wish I could give it up.
    Give your mum our best wishes for her birthday ( Ime sure it comes from all on this site).
    Lots of Love
    Elsa
    xxx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hello Debbie
    I wish your dad all the best with his tests. you are doing so well you should be very pleased with yourself.
    I hope your mum has a good day.
    take care all.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Debbie, sorry about your news but good on you for still keeping off the ciggies, I know it is all too easy to light one up when you are stressed, keep thinking of those lungs, hope you get a bit better news soon.........(((())))...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Debbie,

And so the saga goes on-just stopped by to send some positive thoughts. Somehow when our parents are ill it's even harder isn't it. I really hope he gets some positive results.

Hope the ct scan goes well, will be thinking of you-the ct scanner is okay- not small and not too noisy- it reminds me of being in a revolving doughnut :shock:

Well done on the non-smoking- you are doing your lungs such a favour- hang in there with it.

Deb xx
  • DebbieT
    I truly can't thank you all enough for ure kind words & support.

The CT Scan was a doddle but the xray was extremely painful :( I had to lay completely flat which is nigh on impossible for me. She said she captured a good image & great placement so at least I know she got the picture of the right bits :lol:

I'm afraid it's awful news about my Dad :( I went to see him after my scan & he'd taken a drastic turn for the worse. They'd phoned my Mum & told her to come in.
    His oxygen saturation tanked so a portable chest xray was done ... His left lung is now infected!! He's been on the best antibiotics since he was hospitalized 8 days ago so it was a shock for the staff let alone us!! The Dr came to talk to us & explained a few things ...
    They aren't going to biopsy him anymore as they've decided its currently irrelevant due to his infection etc :shock:
    They won't put him in Intensive Care as he'd never recover.
    They'd move him from a short stay ward to Respiratory, hopefully as he needs help to get oxygen into his lungs. Trying to breath is exhausting him.
    He stabilised so we came home this evening.

We had another call tonight :( He tanked again, worse than this morning & they're doing nearly all they can. There is only a little more that the oxygen can go up & they can add a mask to help force air into his lungs but thats all. They've discussed a medical DNR with Dad, Mum & us ... We all agree its for the best if that situation arises. He also informed us his tumours are terminal tonight .... It takes the air from me in a whoosh putting that :( They can only make him comfortable. They hope to help him enough to get him home for his last few days but they're losing the battle at the moment!!

Told ya it was awful news :cry::( I'm still trying to process it all.

Thank you all again.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Oh Debbie, I have no words :( Thinking of you all and sending hugs - it's not enough but it's everything I can offer xxx
    Toots x
  • barbara12
    Debbie I really do feel for you..many years ago I went through this with my mum and dad...and the very same feeling has come back..its has though someone has punched you...I wish I could help more...but you know we are always here....sending some very gentle hugs ((((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elsa56
    elsa56 Member Posts: 98
    Debbie, Im so sorry to hear your news. Like Barbara it brings back memories of my lovely sister. I hope all goes as smooth as possible.
    God Bless
    Hugs
    Elsa
    xxx
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    So sorry to hear your news, Debbie. Thinking about you. Take care of yourself. ((()))

Meg
  • dibdab
    Oh Debbie, I am so sorry to hear your dreadful news. It has just brought back my dad's final journey and being there beside him. I just wanted to send some gentle hugs {{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}}}.

I don't know if it helps, but for me when dad was so very unwell I was just grateful to have journeyed with him, immensely proud to have been able to call him my dad, and thankful for him that the struggles were over and he was free.

Take good care of yourself, this is a time for being gentle with yourself and just getting through one day at a time.

Deb xx
  • DebbieT
    All of ure kind messages have touched me so much, thank you all ((((hugs))))

I'm sorry to have taken many of you back to painful memories. I wasn't thinking wen I was pouring all of this out in the early hours, my sincere apologies. Ure graciousness is appreciated very much much.

Im so grateful he isn't in pain & loves having us all with him. The Grandchildren are all involved with the vigil, he thinks they're wonderful :) The Great Grandchildren are obviously too young to fully understand so are staying at home n being little angels! :)

Im finding it is so hard, unsurprisingly. I'm doing most of the driving, I've got a 7 seater, n if I crack I know the flare will overwhelm me n I'll be useless to them all :?
    I darent let the emotions in, I'll hold it together. It helps being able to post on here.

Thank you all SO much.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dibdab
    Keep posting and please don't apologise, friends are here to help and support each other, and it is a privilege to be able to do so.

When I remember dad it's always with a smile, not sadness, he helped to shape who I am and how I am- and my prayer for you is that one day you'll also be able to look back and smile, sad because of what you've lost, but overwhelmingly grateful to have shared your life journey together.

God bless,

Deb x
  • kentishlady
    Thinking of you , Debbie. So many of us have been through similar situations. We are all here whenever you need us. Sending lots of ((())). Beryl. xx
  • barbara12
    Debbie please don't apologize...I for one am glad you are talking to us...it the least we can do...how lovely that all the GC are there for him..you look after yourself in all this...(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    As the others have said, please don't apologise, Debbie. This is a specially tough time for you and, if it helps to write it down, it's the least we can do to read it and su pport you as best we can. (((())))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    It is nice to have somewhere 'to go' & place my thoughts etc wen I get a quiet moment ... It helps keep the panic at bay too, I'm self aware in that respect :lol:

Dad had a so-so night. His oxygen needed to be raised to 80% just to keep his saturation at 88-92. It's exhausting for him. He got a picture of 'the kids' & the nurses ask him if its his grandchildren, he's taking great pleasure in saying Oh no, they're my Great Grandchildren :lol: Little things & all that :roll: :wink:

Right I'd better go back & see if he's settled in bed again.

Have a lovely Sunday.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • barbara12
    Still thinking about you Debbie....(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • kentishlady
    Thinking of you Debbie. Take care of yourself. Beryl. (((())))
  • dibdab
    Hi Debbie,

Just dropped by to send some more positive thoughts and restock what my twins used to call their "cuddle box"!
    {{{{{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Take good care of yourself, and keep talking.

Deb xx