Our poor Hileena has broken her new hip

Options

Comments

• toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,123
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks for the update barbara, oh dear fancy that happening when you are only doing what is supposed to be helping. :( Will crutches & stairs really be ok, I suppose they know what they are doing but it instinctively sounds scary to do with a break.. do hope no op is required.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    Thank you all for your lovely posts.
    I'm home....Tues 4.30pm came home
    I was doing one of their exercises.....standing and holding on to the back of a chair {on my good leg} and moving the the bad leg slightly to the side. All of a sudden there was the most awful crack
    I couldn't stand .....just collapsed on to the dining room chair. Peter rang Ward 3 who said ring an ambulance so that was that.
    Got there had an X ray and there is a round bit of bone at the top {forgotten the proper name.....have it written down somewhere} and I've fractured that bit of bone.
    Nothing can be done except exercise, crutches, and no abduction......that's what I was doing....putting my leg out to the side......that means both legs have to be together and lifted up on to the bed together.
    I will pm people....didn't have much signal in the hospital but just ask anything because I'm sure I haven't told you everything

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oooh Hileena I'm sooo glad you are home, I was worried sick they might have to keep you in for a while.. :shock: my brain was running riot...now you just take things easy...and be pampered...I will sleep tonight now...hope you do... :)(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    That's really good that you're home. Hope it's not causing you too much pain. Did they say how long it would be before the bone repairs itself?
    Christine
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Hileena

So good to hear that you are home. As if you have not got enough to contend with. Having to be put to bed too, you poor love. I winced when I read what happened to you.

Chin up, our lovely Hileena.

Gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    Options
    They did say it would be at least another 6 weeks :shock:
    They think I might have osteoporosis.....I was diagnosed with osteopenia years ago so its quite possible. :?
    But apart from mentioning it no one did anything about it {eg DEXA scan or anything} :?

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Hileena

I think you should push for a dexa scan. As you were diagnosed with a fracture of the hip bone and you have previously been diagnosed with osteopenia, you should have a scan.

I am already in the OP "Club". :roll: ;)
    http://stopatone.nos.org.uk/

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Elna
    I will push for one.....{you know me :lol: } I did ask the ortho and he said it will be addressed later, I asked a medical doc, same answer and mentioned it to the physio as well :?
    I was too sore to be bothered but now I'm home and when I get sorted......I will try again.....not sure where to start but I'll find something

Love
    Hileena
  • Sarah01
    Sarah01 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    Hi Hileena

It's fantastic to hear you are home. I was sorry to hear what happened.

I hope you aren't in too much pain, I'm keeping fingers crossed you have a speedy recovery :)

Take care of yourself, sending hugs to you

Sarah x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Elna
    I will push for one.....{you know me :lol: } I did ask the ortho and he said it will be addressed later, I asked a medical doc, same answer and mentioned it to the physio as well :?
    I was too sore to be bothered but now I'm home and when I get sorted......I will try again.....not sure where to start but I'll find something

Love
    Hileena

Hi Hileena

I know you will. Even though you were so sore, you still asked the ortho, medical doctor and the physio. Not bad going! Yes, I know you, you will not let it rest and quite rightly so. ;)

I would have thought your first post of call would be your GP. He will hear via the hospital that you fractured your hip.

Elna x

• Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Have been MIA for a while and come back to this awful news! Hileena sweetie, I can't believe it! Huge huge hugs and fingers crossed for a quick and uneventful heal from hereon in x
    Toots x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Toots
    Elna......glad you know me :lol: I thought you would know I wouldn't let it rest once I got my head together. :lol:
    I've got the letter to give in to reception. I might try and get A doc on the phone tomorrow morning. It is certain ones [not yours} that return calls each day.
    Peter will drop the letter in sometime tomorrow.

Love
    Hileena
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Am so glad you are back home, Hileena. Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight. Do take care of yourself. Lots of gentle (((()))) Beryl
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Oh how rotten, I'm so sorry, hope that the situation is better soon and your are not in too much pain.
    Healing thoughts coming your way Hileena.Xx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Beryl and Fiona
    I didn't have too bad a night thanks but am very sore now so have taken my usual cocktail of pain killers.
    I know I try to avoid meds as much as I can but not this time :lol:
    They have put me on double the dose of codeine I was on and it must be times 4 a day.....not my usual "when I think I need it" :shock: so you can imagine what the side effects will be :lol: but I weighed up which was worse.........pain or side effects and the pain is worse so here goes with laxatives, prune juice etc.

Love
    Hileena
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    I'm so sorry to read this, Hileena. Glad you are back at home now and I wish you a good recovery and hope the painkillers work.

Susie
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Morning Hileena hope things are easing a little for you .Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You have my sympathies - I had to up the cocos to eight per day for the first ten days of the broken arm so I resorted to the Docusate capsules my GP prescribes - they make life a deal easier. :wink: I don't think you could cope with a DEXA at the moment, that hip has to heal first because those scanning beds are very hard and there may some contorting involved but it is indeed a future event. Increase your calcium intake if you can and . . . . . I'll shut up now because a) you know what I am going to say and b) you know what to do. Take care, rest today because your body has suffered yet another trauma and it needs some TLC. ((( ))) xxx DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Hileena
    So nice to have you back with us..I was really worried they would keep you in...hope you had a goodish night suspect not...phew I was worried for you...(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    So pleased your home Hileena, you just make sure your careful doing your exercises!! And get plenty of rest. Take care sweetie.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    The main exercise this physio has told me to do is, sit {or lie on bed} pull your toes upwards, tighten you thighs and also tighten your bum muscles, hold of 10 secs.
    He said not to worry about the rest at the moment and that particular one he said I should do "before I take off" :lol: His words not mine :lol:
    So if I'm getting into the car {Peters not mine :lol: } to go somewhere.....do that exercise before I go out, then do it before I get on my scooter, also try to do it before I get off my scooter to walk a few steps.
    That reminds me.........I cant drive for 6 weeks because of the THR now there is another 6 weeks added on to that :shock:
    I'll have forgotten how to drive by the time I'm allowed to :roll:

I've rung the doc this morning and she is organising a DEXA scan for me......the last one was 3 years ago and it says re scan in 3 years which would be the summer. She says that after this I should have it done a bit earlier.
    She also said by the time the appointment came through I should be able to cope with it OK

Love
    Hileena
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    sorry to hear this hileena
    hope the exerciseing now goes smoothly for you and you get some
    releif..
    best wishes hileena.
    mike26..
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Mike

Love
    Hileena
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Hileena
    I hope your great trochanter heals soon, and that you can soon be out on your scooter again xx
    NB
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Oh dear Hileena!

I'm so sorry this has happened, and hoping the pain is easing a little for you. XX, (((()))Anna