What made you smile today?

Options

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    While walking by the canal, I saw a beautiful black cat jumping off one of the canal boats and disappearing into the woods alongside the path. I was concerned that it might get lost, but the owners assured me that the cat always goes off to explore for a short time whenever they stop the boat. After a couple of minutes, it returned to the boat and the owners allowed me to pick it up and stroke it. Its name was Tara, such a character and a beautiful cat. It made my day! :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Phone call from my daughter this morning which included a chat with my three year old grandson and hearing gurgles and giggles from my five month old grandaughter
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Seeing 3 Spitfires fly over our town for battle of Britain day. Also a vulcan bomber flying over my house this morning while I was gardening.
    Christine
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Wow! That was fantastic, Christine :!:
    My brother-in -law used to fly Vulcans, so I would love to have seen that. It's such a beautiful plane to see in flight.

Sadly, the Vulcan won't be flying much longer because it costs too much money to maintain and fly it. This is its last season before it is grounded and put on show in a special exhibition.
  • applerose
    Options
    Really Joan. Wow, we were so lucky to see it then. Shame we won't see it flying again. I'm certainly not a geek when it comes to planes or trains but I love seeing the old ones on the odd occasion they pass by.
    Christine
  • Slosh
    Options
    The sight, and sound, of those planes must have been magnificent.

I did try encouraging birds to my garden but unfortunately someone who lives at the back of my house keeps pigeons so I just ended up feeding them! Decided that I wasn't going to do this so got rid of my bird table.

Had my hair cur today, felt like a sheep being sheared but very flattered when my french hairdresser told me I was very lucky to be able to wear such a short crop as most women couldn't but it really suits me.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I had a very enjoyable afternoon at my art group. It's a pleasure to spend time with such lovely people who all like painting as much as I do.

Also got hugs from two friends- bound to put a smile on my face :!: :D
  • applerose
    Options
    Today I waited until the rain eased off a bit before setting off to walk to work as it had been coming down very heavily. Got halfway then the heavens opened. Although I couldn't see well as the rain was going in my eyes, I couldn't help giggling the rest of the way. Looked half drowned when I got to work but it just seemed so funny. Fortunately, I'd taken a change of clothes.
    Christine
  • joanlawson
    Options
    While my family were visiting today we decided to look at some old photos which were stored on the computer. We never got round to printing any of them out, so I had forgotten about them.

We put them up on the TV screen and had a lovely trip down memory lane, reliving some wonderful holidays when my grandchildren were small. They really enjoyed seeing themselves over ten years ago, but oh dear, how time passes :!: :D

Joan
  • joanlawson
    Options
    applerose wrote:
    Today I waited until the rain eased off a bit before setting off to walk to work as it had been coming down very heavily. Got halfway then the heavens opened. Although I couldn't see well as the rain was going in my eyes, I couldn't help giggling the rest of the way. Looked half drowned when I got to work but it just seemed so funny. Fortunately, I'd taken a change of clothes.

This puts a new twist on the song "Singing in the rain":

I'm giggling in the rain,
    Just giggling in the rain,
    What a glorious feeling,
    I'm happy again

Joan :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Yesterday actually.

A brief phone call from son in L.A. to say "I thought I'd ring because I got to cricket early and just wanted a quick gloat at my Dad over the Leeds v Wigan result." Needless to say, son is from Leeds and Dad is from Wigan.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The zebra. I returned to Mersea on Friday, bought the zebra and have grinned ever since. I sent a picture of him to a friend and she too has been smiling, he is a grin-making machine! He is currently residing in my bathroom but today will be installed in the kitchen.

His name is Kenneth.

Mr DD made me laugh on Sunday evening. We were watching Fake or Fortune, the team were in Paris and he remarked 'There's something very French about Paris.' Really? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    I love the sound of Kenneth!

As for your husband's comment it reminded me of a colleage at work asking, "What day's Good Friday on?"
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    DD - Kenneth the Kitchen Zebra has a certain je ne sais quoi to it. As does Mr DD's take on Paris.

Slosh - I remember my Mum telling me years ago of a non-churchgoing neighbour who, nevertheless, assured my Mum that, in her household, they always had pancakes on Pancake Tuesday and hash on Hash Wednesday.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    This will make me smile every time I watch it. A 4 yr old got onto the pitch in a rugby league match between New South Wales and Queensland. Watch what happens next http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/33976091
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    Options
    Like the sound of Kenneth.

I had to giggle today on my way to work. There are 2 ponies and a horse in the field I pass. The youngest pony must have had an itchy derriere as he was rubbing it on a fence post. His back end was going from side to side and I could hear the fence creaking.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Two little movies from my US dil.

In the first she's showing my my 6yr old grandson's new Lego shelves but, listening to his comments, doing it all wrong.

In the second he's showing me the shelves - in exactly the same way but obviously right this time :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    The very young, chatty, ditsy therapist I had for my 2 pampering treatments , a facial and a hand/arm treatment.

"I studied anatomy and bones for two years so I know as much as a doctor or dentist "

Me "I have a very painful place on my left elbow"
    Her "Lovely "

Me "I have reduced movement in my neck"

Her "Lovely "

She answered so quickly I think it was an automatic response!
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    "I studied anatomy and bones for two years so I know as much as a doctor or dentist "

:shock: And the scary thing is she probably believes it :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    What was interesting though was that when she massaged my fingers she commented, and I could feel the difference, that the fingers in my left hand were stiffer than my right. Will get this checked next time I see GP.

She was a self confessed Essex girl.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Our big shower is on the fritz so after doing some basic checks with the help of a friend I yesterday rang the manufacturers to request a visit from an engineer. They told me it would be between seven and ten days before someone would be able to come. I huffed but said OK.

An hour later I was queuing in Waitrose when my mobile rang. I ignored it. It rang again. I ignored it again because I have little time for those who take calls when they're checking out and everyone has to wait whilst they discuss utter trivia at great length. I lumbered out to the car and it rang again so I answered. It was the shower company, they had checked my notes, spotted I am disabled so someone was coming out tomorrow, i.e. today, between 12 and 5, so a very civilised waiting time.

I smiled. I am still smiling even though I have to empty a cupboard so they can reach the processor! DD
  • Slosh
    Options
    What a great company DD.
    Julian of Norwich
  • JPH
    JPH Member Posts: 45
    Options
    (remember the dashing man in the tv ad goes through
    all kinds of James Bond stunt "All because, the lady loves Milk Tray". ?

Shouted down to hubby asking if on his way back up he'd
    bring my meds box up with his as it was pill time.

I could hear him coming up the stairs cussing as he was standing on
    the odd random dog toy, stubbed his toe on the door,
    tripped over the carpet, throws himself on the bed in front of me,
    arm out holding my box in the palm of his hand and
    said;

"And all because, the lady loves, her med box"

hahahahahaha!!!
    "You know you have RA when half brushed hair is awesome"
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The shower is still busted. Their chap reckons it's a problem for an electrician so I texted one I know, not holding out much hope for a visit before the Bank Holiday. He lives close to me so is popping in later this afternoon, bless him. :D I went from disappointment to smiles within two hours which was pleasing. This morning, however, I'm feeling a tad glum :( because I have to empty the cupboard under the stairs for the fourth time this week. It's all useful stuff that's stored in there so can't be thrown away! DD
  • JPH
    JPH Member Posts: 45
    Options
    This will make me smile every time I watch it. A 4 yr old got onto the pitch in a rugby league match between New South Wales and Queensland. Watch what happens next http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/33976091

hahahaha thats epic ! it was my first post read of the day today so that is my 'what made me smile today'.
    "You know you have RA when half brushed hair is awesome"