Let's Just Do It

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 8. Mar 2016, 03:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Far too many people are complaining of waiting too long to see GPs, consultants and physios and to have procedures such as steroid jabs.

Rather than whinge about this I propose we take matters into our own hands – or, indeed, any bits of us that function moderately well – by opening the Arthritis And Any Associated Rheumatological Grumps Hospital (The AAAARGH). Appointments will be immediate and, like the NHS, free at the point of delivery. This will be an equal opportunities hospital. Discrimination over disabilities will not be tolerated and no-one will be refused a job on health and safety grounds.

So, we will need enthusiastic volunteers to man / woman the consulting rooms, operating theatres, wards, x-ray and scanning machines, physio equipment etc etc. As we cannot wait 6 or 7 years to train docs or however many it takes to train physios and nurses, we will dispense with all that education nonsense and take a more hands on approach though, if applicants could highlight any useful skills they may have it would be helpful.

I would personally like to apply to be an orthopaedic surgeon. My qualifications are:

1. I've had so many joints put in / taken out I more or less know where the big ones go now.
2. So the little ones will be dead easy.
3. My husband has a workbench and power tools in the garage.
4. Like, I'm told, most orthopaedic surgeons, I'm good and inventive at swearing.

Can we have other volunteers before throwing the AAAARGH doors open?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi sticky

I am more than happy to make any replacement joints you may need.

They may include haunched mortise and tenons,lap dovetails or scarf joints (I have a GCE in woodwork!).Really don't know if these or wooden joints are suitable but will be lighter than metal..... :shock:

May have to modify surgical procedures to accomodate these so could be a quick learning curve........... :wink:

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    I'd like to offer my services as supervisor - apparently I'm good at organising/nagging (I prefer to think leadership skills!), please can I work part time? Thinking 11 til 1, maybe with an hour for lunch?
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I'd like to volunteer to do injections of any sort I used to play a bit of darts. Mig
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I'm good with children and my son is a paediatric registrar so I could mug up JIA in his heavy medical books in his bedroom then maybe I could run the children's ward? But I'm not too keen on blood so strictly post surgical work please.

Deb
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I can be a rheumatologist. With only three prescriptions to choose from, how hard can it be? Will that be pred, methotrexate or a biologic?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Bagsy physiotherapist, please. I've had all kinds on many different bits. When the inevitable complaints start about increasing pain I shall reply 'And your point is?' or 'Pain equals gain but don't overdo it.' I will know that they won't have been doing their exercises between appointments (who does? :wink: You do? Strewth! :shock: )

I have a three of those long rubber bands (one of which is red and smells of strawberry), one of those complicated elasticated efforts which you hook over your feet and hands and wave your limbs around (yeah, right) and three of those squeezy balls you use for hand exercises; I could also pinch Mr DD's bike from the garage. The gym is equipped! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How wonderful! I go to bed, have a good night's sleep and wake up to find the hospital well on its way with such enthusiastic volunteers.

Prefabkid – I'm sure wooden joints will be fine. Just try to eliminate any knots and splinters as far as possible. I love the idea of 'haunched mortise and tenons,lap dovetails or scarf joints'. I've no idea what they are and a bit of mystique always goes down well in the medical world.

Sharon – You will supervise – at hours convenient to you. We don't want anyone overdoing things at AAAARGH. Rest periods will be essential.

Mig – injections are not normally hurled at the patient but, who knows, it could prove a better method. The stabbings are yours.

Dibdab – children's medical it is for you. Don't do too much reading. 'Heavy medical books' sound a bit too much like physio. We don't want you damaging anything. Use your initiative. You'll be fine.

Boomer – Oooh please! We really should have several rheumatologists as that is the purpose of the hospital but, as you seem to have everything sorted so wonderfully neatly, I think you'll cope brilliantly by yourself.

DD – I can hear the enthusiasm in your post – so vital for physios. How often have they, enthusiastically, put us all through torture? I think your covert but innate sadism will be invaluable here. Your bands might also come in handy for tying patients up while mig is throwing hypodermics at them.

An excellent start. Thank you all you wonderful volunteers. I declare the AAAARGH open for business. (But please keep volunteering.)
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    As I've seen it many a time and joke I have my own bed in there I would like to be a Dr in the A & E department!! :valentine:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I always wanted to be a nurse ,and would love to work in theater and hold the patents hands and pass all the instruments to the surgeon..and after in recovery I would be there to reassure them..that they might come across mig.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Sharon2960 wrote:
    I'd like to offer my services as supervisor - apparently I'm good at organising/nagging (I prefer to think leadership skills!), please can I work part time? Thinking 11 til 1, maybe with an hour for lunch?

Sharon

Got to have admin staff............ :roll:

Will get you a clipboard and some sheets of paper,so you can walk up and down the corridors looking busy............... :lol:

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    Ooh Ron, please can I have coloured paper?
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Sharon2960 wrote:
    Ooh Ron, please can I have coloured paper?

You can have any colour you like as long as it is white (but can supply you with some crayons)!
    Am trying to economise on paper usage.Any ideas should be sent to me (in triplicate please)............ :?
    Ron
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I watched some operations on tv quite a few years ago. Looked easy enough. And I've been doing jigsaws since Xmas so I'm sure I could manage joint replacements.
    Christine
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I'd like to volunteer to be the happy, smiley person who takes you to theatre for your surgery. Theatre Technician? I've seen enough of them over the years I think to be able to replicate the wonderful job they do putting apprehensive patients at ease.

Being someone who hates doing nothing, I'd also like to volunteer to make the drinks for the patients when they return to the ward. That first drink you have after surgery always tastes like nectar and I've been told in that I make wonderful coffee ... :lol:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Splendid offers, everyone :D

Bubbadog – May I sugest you are a doc not in A&E as this is a purely rheumatological hospital so there won't be an A&E. We don't want the system clogged up with coronaries, strokes and drunks – well, apart from arthritic drunks.

Barbara – I think you would be an enormously reassuring presence in the presence of mig. Your bullet proof vest is on its way.

Sharon / Ron – Oooh he's hard, isn't he? Ron, in addition to providing the wooden prostheses could you also organise funding? I'm sure you'd sqeeze the most out of everyone and everything. Maybe we could recycle some of the prostheses too.

Applerose – another surgeon will be essential. Surely anyone who can do a jigsaw can do a TKR. Just so's you know – there shouldn't be any green bits.

GraceB – a two-job volunteer. Brilliant. If you wish to stay happy and smiley try to avoid mig. I confess my first drink after surgery is usually water which I tend to bring back. I think, with our surgeons and prostheses we could have some very sick post-op patients. You and Barbara will be vital.

Crikey, we're almost ready for the victims. Sorry, patients. How's everyone feeling today :mrgreen:
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Options
    Been practicing with my left hand ( can't hold the dart with right)another half hour or so should do it. :shock: Mig
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I'm ready with my bucketful of prednisone.....
  • Whi
    Whi Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Love it I think I'd make a good nurse so long as we cold have a good old chin wag lol. Yvonne X
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Have you got AAAARGHas in the kitchen? If so I'll volunteer for cooking duties as I've always fancied having a go on one.
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Funding will be no problem (I have a cunning plan!).

I shall apply for AAAARGH be granted charity status (can't see that being refused,if open a privately funded hospital the government can shut a publicly funded one)............ :x

Once granted,shall request foreign govenments to include our charity in their 'overseas aid' programmes.
    The purpose of the charity will be to reduce pain and suffering in the UK.

May get some assistance from the private sector e.g catering to be carried out by one of our quality breweries (in return they will be allowed to supply and advertise their real ales).This will be an improved version of 'Water Aid' (to be known as 'Beer Aid)....... :D

Ron
    (any other suggestions :?: )
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I love the thought of AAAARGHs in the kitchen! Thank you, Daffy, for providing the first smile of the day.

If anyone is turning up for physio today be warned. I am not to be trifled with (or blancmanged, ice creamed or meringued). Nightmare Cat paid me another visit last night, it's a relatively new overnight visitor, it curls up on me and then slowly digs in every single claw it possess into varying painful joints until I wake up. Foul moglet. :x DD
  • mig
    Options
    Anyone want to volunteer to be my first victim sorry patient I have numerous types of jabs ready to go ,some tried and tested others not passed for humans well you never know they MIGHT work ,please form an orderly queue and Sharon will take your name and history. Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    So mig's chucking arm and Boomer's bucket of pred are on standby. Daffy has kindly volunteered to cook us proper meals instead of plastic ones and, rather than the boring, unhygienic water jug by every bed, Ron has negotiated real ale. (Stop squabbling. You can't ALL be bartenders.) And Yvonne is going to be that old-fashioned treasure – the nurse who stops to chat to the patients.

With our resident physio in pain and our resident stabber in gleeful anticipation maybe no-one should be directed towards both today. One or the other.

Does anyone have a copy of Surgery for Dummies by H. Lecter? I seem to have mislaid mine.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I borrowed it, I thought I'd left a note? I like the beans but not the Chianti and surgery bit. In the tradition of English A level questions about the set text I suggest this poser:

'Surgery for Dummies' mentions Chianti, a form of Italian red wine. It's generally thin and lacks flavour so why does it exist? Discuss.

I think every hospital needs Ron to provide the bedside beverages :wink: but I know from experience that the best hospital cuppa ever is the one that is provided after any kind of required fasting or operational procedure. I suggest we lay in generous supplies of Happy Shopper Tbags, UHT semi-skimmed milk and claggy sugar (for those who require sugar). If this encroaches upon Daffy's territory then I apologise.

Physiotherapy is open for business because I'm in the mood for revenge. :D DD
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Haven't got a copy of 'Surgery for Dummies'.But did come across my copy of 'Teach Yourself Surgical Procedures and Joint Making'.This was from my school days when studying for O'level biology and woodwork.
    I think it reasonably up to date (priced 2/6d label inside).Reading the book has reminded me to order the chloroform and leeches.Must also get some smelling salts in case any of you lady surgeons should suffer 'the vapours' during carrying the op........... :wink:
    Ron