Let's Just Do It

Options

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    2/6d? Crikey, such expense! :wink: I hope your junior hacksaws and other bits of kit are not too rusty.

What are 'the vapours'? Do only ladies have them? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Reading the book has reminded me to order the chloroform and leeches.Must also get some smelling salts in case any of you lady surgeons should suffer 'the vapours' during carrying the op........... :wink:
    Ron

I used to like you, Ron :wink:

I'd have you know I gave birth without the benefit of gas and air as No 1 Son was in too much of a hurry. I once had a large post-op cross-stitch put into my knee without anaesthetic (or vapours) when the non-working drain had to be removed after a TKR. I also watched my colonoscopy on screen. And my sister (a former animal nurse) tells me it was always the blokes who fainted. Now wash your mouth out with carbolic (best order that, too) or I shall confiscate all your beer and give it to the leeches :lol:

(I bet DD didn't get any physio patients today the mood she was in :shock: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Reading the book has reminded me to order the chloroform and leeches.Must also get some smelling salts in case any of you lady surgeons should suffer 'the vapours' during carrying the op........... :wink:
    Ron

I used to like you, Ron :wink:

I'd have you know I gave birth without the benefit of gas and air as No 1 Son was in too much of a hurry. I once had a large post-op cross-stitch put into my knee without anaesthetic (or vapours) when the non-working drain had to be removed after a TKR. I also watched my colonoscopy on screen. And my sister (a former animal nurse) tells me it was always the blokes who fainted. Now wash your mouth out with carbolic (best order that, too) or I shall confiscate all your beer and give it to the leeches :lol:

(I bet DD didn't get any physio patients today the mood she was in :shock: )

Oooooooooooh sticky love a woman with spirit.Assume you are talking about carbolic soap and not carbolic acid (phenol).. :shock:
    Confiscate my beer,that is a criminal act........... :!:
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    2/6d? Crikey, such expense! :wink: I hope your junior hacksaws and other bits of kit are not too rusty.

What are 'the vapours'? Do only ladies have them? DD

Vapours..........'Emotional agitation'......common in women in Victorian times (thought then to be due to wearing too tight corset........ :oops: )
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    UHT milk DD? Really? I was going to supply good quality Jersey cream-based milk. Bearing in mind I'm the one doing the post-op drinks I only want to be providing good quality, nutritious drinks to my people. There'll not be any "claggy sugar" either. Heavens above - one does have standards you know!

Talking of "my people", I've been on tenterhooks all day waiting to be asked to appear to take someone to theatre. As I've not been called upon, I've made drinks for the staff/volunteers and read the paper to keep up-to-date with techniques and systems in hospitals. I've also been watching videos about interpersonal skills when dealing with anxious pre-op patients on the internet as of course, if it's on the internet, it's totally true you know!

Right, I've got rid of that dreadful UHT muck so the fridge has now got decent milk in it. If you see it getting low, please tell me so I can ask Bluebell the cow for some more. Oh, if anyone dares to think of suggesting powdered milk, please hang your head in shame at the very idea!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    If this encroaches upon Daffy's territory then I apologise.
    No worries - and no roaches either,whether enc, cock or just au naturel(for alternative therapy use you'll need to speak to pharmacy).Whole point of a range cooker is to keep the kettle ever ready for a cuppa after all, although like Grace I'm not so sure about the proposed constituents of said cuppa. Full fat raw milk to give the immune system a good work out - what doesn't kill you will cure you and all that.
    Keeping a stock pot on the go should be a doddle as well, bone broth is supposed to be very good for you, and a nice bowl of soup du jour slips down a treat, plenty of protein to help post-op recovery.
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    Well, I'm in for the full cream milk! And, I think, patients (and staff) will be in need of cheering up, so maybe some scrummy choc cake could be sourced? I can add it to one of my lists on my clip board - this is why I wanted COLOURED paper, Ron, so I could have colour coded lists!
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I hope you haven't performed any operations yet, you don't seem to have an anaesthetist! I'd like to volunteer for the job. My qualifications are, I have a sledgehammer.
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    Options
    We've met, haven't we, Numpty? You were my anaesthetist way back.

Have you still got the beard?
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh behalf of those of us who don't need our immune systems being given a good work out may we also have auto-immune-friendly milk too? My preference is for skimmed.

I think your clipboards are going to look very pretty, Sharon, they will cheer the wards as you wander round with your rainbow sheets of loveliness! DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Ok, loosen your corsets everyone and, please, please don't forget the tripe therapy on the menu.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Corsets? Are you implying we have the strength to pull together or pull on corsets, Anna? I can't even manage one button on my trousers (but please don't tell my patients that).

I agree tripe must feature on the menu every day. I'm sure daffy can ring the changes on her aaaaargha. Maybe tripe on toast for breakfast, a tripe and celery sandwich for lunch and an evening meal of tripe cocktail, tripe stroganoff and tripe roly poly pudding. All washed down with a nice glass of liquidised tripe, of course.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I'm finding it difficult to find jigsaws without green bits so I can practice so I'll do them and just leave bits out. I'm sure that will be fine. I vote for skimmed milk too. Full fat makes me feel icky. And the thought of tripe makes me feel even more icky. Not good to feel like that mid-op. Cake will be good though. Just checking my kitchen tools will be up to the job. If not, I think Boyes has a sale on at the moment.
    Christine
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    I am afraid tripe and milk of types is off the menu........... :!:

Had appointed caterers and they have decided that chips,black pudding and turkey twizzlers will be the main constituent of most meals,of course washed down with lashings of real ale.............. :D

Must give patients a healthy diet........... :lol:

Ron
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Due to unforeseen circumstances (intoxication) injections will not be available till Tuesday .cheers :roll: Mig
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Sharon2960 wrote:
    Well, I'm in for the full cream milk! And, I think, patients (and staff) will be in need of cheering up, so maybe some scrummy choc cake could be sourced? I can add it to one of my lists on my clip board - this is why I wanted COLOURED paper, Ron, so I could have colour coded lists!

Sorry Sharon your request for coloured paper is denied (have to keep you wimmen in order).......... :x
    Cannot have you walking up and down and have your paper clashing with my colour scheme planned for the wards etc....... :shock:
    What next :?:
    Ron
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Miglet! :D I hope you had fun during the unforeseen circumstances. :wink:

Ron, I have one concern about your menu, namely it's rather limited. Could fish fingers be included, just for some nutritional variety?

Applerose, there's nothing wrong with leaving bits out. DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Sticky, I won't mention the special velcro sutures that you use in the ortho department or, the velcro corset....

Don't forget the tripe lasagna.
    :raining-love:
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Miglet! :D I hope you had fun during the unforeseen circumstances. :wink:

Ron, I have one concern about your menu, namely it's rather limited. Could fish fingers be included, just for some nutritional variety?

Applerose, there's nothing wrong with leaving bits out. DD[/quote

Fish fingers DD............ :?:
    Never realised they even had hands.......... :roll:
    Ron
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Ok jabs are back on ,I've been practicing on a dart board please report to reception to have one stamped on your bottom.Mig
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Just checking Mig's gone before I come in. :valentine:

Someone I know had a triple heart bypass and told me he had a zip put in his chest in case something went wrong and they needed to get in quick. I think Velcro would work much better for joint replacements Boomer.
    Christine
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Not impressed with your so-called caterers Ron, I think they were a job lot from an Atos redeployment exercise. They ignored the food in the pantry and kitchen, had never heard of tripe, and spent the day ticking things off on their clipboards. If I hadn't been in then there wouldn't have been any tea and cake let alone meals, and I don't want them anywhere near the AAARGHas which they seem to think are are glorified clothes driers and bumwarmers. I got out the manual(glad I found that behind the cooking sherry) to prove the cooking capability and was told it couldn't be taken into account as it wasn't a relevant or recognised document.
    Good news for those of you downwind of the kitchen yesterday - I've managed to outsource the tripe preparation.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    About the cooking sherry.............. I'm so sorry :oops:
    Numpty :|
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

Numpty you may well be embarrassed. So you should be.

Cooking sherry :o

When we have a well-stocked bar in the operating theatre 8)

What were you thinking of? Get gowned up and pour yourself a proper one.
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    daffy,cannot understand Atos didn't know about tripe (thought they were experts on the subject as well as on frog's legs)............. :shock:

Of course if any of you decide to take it on yourselves to carry out operations you will be closely monitored and assessed (have employed the services of a theatre critic from my local paper........... :roll: )
    Ron