Quick and Easy Recipe Suggestions.....

Options

Comments

• noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi guys great recipies great idea about publishing cookery book fro AC hope they take up the offer. Personally I am useless at cooking (typical male he he) now but have made dumplings and stews in the past so good for this cold weather.
    I was a dab hand at baked beans and fish fingers etc sorry to lower the recipes i love kedgerie any ways of cooking that would be appreciated.
  • msbojangles
    msbojangles Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Chrisov,

i've looked through my recipes and the one I have found for Kedergee is rreally easy and very tasty. Its a James Martin one from Saturday Kitchen, he is my favourite and would love him to pop round my house to russel something up for me haha.

Kedregee

Ingredients
    ½ onion, finely chopped
    55g/2oz butter
    300g/10½oz basmati rice
    1 tsp madras curry powder
    freshly grated nutmeg
    200ml/7fl oz milk
    110ml/4fl oz double cream
    300g/10½oz naturally smoked haddock, (NOT dyed) picked over, bones removed and flesh cut into chunks
    sea salt and cracked black pepper
    small bunch parsley, chopped
    3 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and halved
    good pinch cayenne and freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
    To serve:
    knob of butter
    wedges of lemon

Method
    1. Cook the onion gently in the butter for a few minutes, then add the rice.
    2. Continue cooking gently and stirring, adding the curry powder and nutmeg. After a few minutes, add the milk and cream.
    3. When the milk and cream begin to simmer, add the fish and continue simmering, stirring occasionally until the rice is cooked.
    4. Season, add the parsley and stir. Add the eggs and garnish with cayenne and nutmeg if using. Serve topped with a knob of butter and wedges of lemon.

Jxx
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi J I have copied an dpasted and will try it next week hopefully
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi there
    This is Ian ,Elnas husband, I just thought that while Elnas out of the way getting the coal up to the bath I would comment on your surmising regarding her culinary abilities
    Although she has now achieved an acceptable standard it has taken 31 years to get there and I have the digestive system and medical bills to prove it
    I would add that the forum has become one of Elnas great interests with her pounding the keys into the early hours and I am proud to have sacrificed my love life to a worthy cause
    A peaceful new year to you all and to paraphrase your own terminology don't let Arthur become king
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Kath

Oooops that will teach me to leave the pc open on the forum won't it? Will not do THAT again LOL

Sure I don't know what Ian is talking about either with "coal in the bath" but apparently peeps used to do that some time ago when they did not want to use the hot water as it was too expensive or something and stored the coal in the bath. Anyway, bless him he does have a subtle - is that the word - sense of humour sometimes.

I have banished him to the garage - I am not that cruel - he does have a heater in there - and said he is not allowed to come back in until he has made two candle sticks for pressies and it is dinner time!!!! Perhaps I am being a little cruel! No, honestly he would not be out there if he did not wish to be.

We do have a downstairs shower and loo so I am ok there Kath!!

Later on I will get on OUR thread and have a convo. Probably in the early hours again, hahahahaha!

I will be back!!!

Hugs
    Elna xx
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Kath

There you go then! Ian has not gone round the twist. Interesting though isn't it about the coal. We learn something every day, or should try to at least. I bet it was horrible having a black bath, so to speak. No wonder you remember it.

Yes, Ian does to a spot of turning! He generally likes DIY as I have said before. Yep a router sounds familiar. My, my, you are a font of all knowledge. I am impressed.

Yes, Ian has made a few things and there are bowls and candlesticks around the house.

Right, I am popping over to our special thread now!

Night night!!!!!

Love
    Elna x

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    The recipe book idea is not forgotten, merely awaiting the new year, more spare time, and the new forum, which will be quicker to use.

We are going to try to 'publish' it online, in PDF format so that people can download it and make a contribution to AC for doing so if they wish.

anyone who wants to help - either by submitting recipes, giving suggestions for making life easier when cooking, or by helpingto compile the 'book' are very welcome!

we'll sort things out in the new year, and then we'll need a lot of help!
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Cheese Muffins
    A delicious savoury muffin - perfect snack or accompaniment for a light meal

9ozs plain flour*
    3 tsp baking powder
    half a teaspoon salt
    4 tbs white granulated sugar
    3 ozs cheddar cheese (grated)
    1 egg
    8 fl oz milk
    3 fl ozs corn oil, or 3 ozs butter or margarine (melted)

Prepare muffin tins

Pre-heat oven to 375-400 degrees F (190-200 degrees C)

In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in sugar and grated cheese. Make a well in centre.

In another bowl, beat the egg with a fork. Stir in milk and oil (or melted butter or margarine)

Pour all of wet ingredients into dry. Stir JUST until combined. Do not overstir. Batter will be lumpy but no dry flour should be visible.

Fill muffin cups to three-quarters full. Makes 10 - 12 standard size muffins. Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes. Muffins are done when tops arel ightly browned and spring back when touched.

* for self-raising flour, only 1 teaspoon baking powder is needed.

VARIATIONS:

Cheese and Bacon Muffins - Add about 4 tablespoons cooked and finely chopped bacon

Cheese and Onion Muffins - Add about 2 tablespoons chopped and lightly fried onion

• elnafinn
    Options
    Apple and Tomato Chutney (Prizewinner)
    (my Grannie and Great Grannie's recipe)

11b Green tomatoes
    1 lb Cooking apples
    1 1b Onions
    8 ozs Sultanas
    6 ozs Demerara Sugar
    1 Tablespoon Salt
    1 Teaspoon Ginger
    Three-quarters Pint Vinegar
    1 Teaspoon Pickling Spice (in muslin bag)

Mince apples, tomatoes, onions, sultanas.
    Add other ingredients and bring to the boil and simmer for ONE hour, stirring frequently.

Microwave Method (1987 onwards!)

Use only 7 Fluid ozs Vinegar. Put all ingredients in Pyrex bowl. Microwave on High for 5 minutes.

Part cover with clingfilm and microwave on High for 25 minutes stirring every 5 minutes.

Pour into jars and store in a cool, dry place.

• elnafinn
    Options
    Genoa Cake

2 ozs finely chopped almonds
    4 ozs glace cherries, quartered
    5 ozs currants
    5 ozs sultanas
    2 ozs mixed peel
    (I use 12 ozs of sultanas and omit the peel and currants)

10 ozs self raising flour
    1 level teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
    6 ozs margarine
    6 ozs sugar
    Finely grated rind of 1 lemon (optional)
    3 eggs
    2 tablespoons milk

Cooking time: Gas Mark 2, middle shelf for 3 - 3.5 hours

Mix all the fruit together including the chopped almonds in a bowl.

Cream margarine and sugar in a large bowl until creamy. Add and beat in the lemon rind (optional). Add the beaten eggs one at a time and add a little flour each time and beat in the eggs.

Fold in the rest of the flour and fruit and nut mixture, half at a time, gently and thoroughly until well mixed.

Add and fold in the milk.

Put into greased 7 inch cake tin (I used grease proof paper at the bottom but do not bother with the sides) and place in oven.

Remove from oven. Leave in tin to cool. Turn out and cool on a wire tray.

Quite an expensive cake, with a bit of work in the preparation but well worth it. Freezes or keeps well in a tin.

I double up on this recipe and make 2 cakes each time

• elnafinn
    Options
    Broad Bean Pate

2lb Broad Beans, shelled
    2 tsp ground coriander
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp ground tumeric
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    Juice 1 lemon
    5 tbsp olive oil
    seasoning

Cook beans in boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes, drain, reserving the liquid

Place the beans and spices in a liquidiser and blend for 30 seconds.

Add the lemon juice and garlic, thin the mixture with a little of the reserved liquid, to form a a thick puree

Gradually stir in the oil, a little at a time, until the desired thickness of pate is reached.

Season to taste and serve with crudites or bread and a sprinkle of tumeric.

• elnafinn
    Options
    Yogurt Potato Salad

1 cup plain yogurt
    2 tsp prepared mustard
    2 tsp horseradish
    2 cups cooked, cubed potatoes
    Half a cup sliced celery (optional)
    1 medium cucumber, sliced
    Quarter cup of onion, sliced
    1 tbsp chives, chopped

Combine yogurt, mustard and horseradish and blend well.

Add remaining ingredients, toss to mix well and refrigerate to chill

• elnafinn
    Options
    Prawn Cocktail

1pkt of large prawns
    1 small iceberg lettuce
    2-3 sticks celery
    Salad cream
    Tomato sauce
    Tobasco sauce.
    Slice of cucumber or tomato for garnish

Roughly chop the lettuce and place a layer in 4 small glass dishes (approx 2-3 ins deep) (or 6 dishes if you want less prawns to eat !)
    Mix the prawns, chopped celery with salad cream and add a little tomato sauce to make it a colour pink.
    Add a couple of drops of tabasco sauce to give it a bit of a kick.!
    Hang a slice of cucumber or tomato on the side of the dish for decoration and serve with a slice of wholemeal or granary bread.

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Elna, you are a star! at this rate it will be the Elna Recipe 'book' with a littel help from your friends!!

Thanks for so many good ideas. I will have to get my thinking cap on and put my recipes down in writing ......... haven't got Christmas as an excuse any more ........ I will just have to get cooking!
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Banana and Walnut Loaf

This is an extremely easy cake.

3 ozs soft margarine
    4 ozs caster sugar
    1 large egg (beaten)
    The grated rind of 1 orange
    The grated rind of 1 lemon
    8 ozs plain flour
    2 level teaspoons baking powder
    4 medium bananas, peeled*
    2ozs walnuts (roughly chopped)

Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 4

A greased loaf tin with the base lined with greaseproof paper also greased is required

Place the margarine, sugar and the beaten egg in a large mixing bowl, then sift in the flour and baking powder. In another bowl slice the bananas and mash them to a pulp with a fork.

Now use an electric mixer or whisk the sugar, fat and flour together until they are thoroughly combined. Do not worry if the mixture looks rather dry at this stage.

Next add the orange and lemon rinds, followed by the mashed bananas and chopped walnuts and whisk again thoroughly. Tranfer the mixture to the prepared tin and level the top off.

Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 50 - 55 minutes untl the loaf is golden, well-risen and springs back when pressed with a finger. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then loosen around the edges and turn out onto a wire cooling tray to finish cooling . This cake is nice sliced and spread with butter.

*The bananas have more flavour if you freeze any that are over ripe, and defrost them when ready to use, or if you have over ripe bananas at the time, use them straight away.

Banana skins turn black when frozen- no worries, the bananas
    are fine to use

• elnafinn
    Options
    Leek Soup

(Hot off the press, as I made this today and we ate some for our meal tonight with french bread and cheeses - very filling and husband was happy!!)

3 medium size onions (sliced)
    4 medium leeks (chopped)
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons flour
    2 pints chicken stock made with 2 stock cubes
    1 large can tomatoes
    quarter teaspoon oregano
    1 tablespoon minced chives
    3 bayleaves
    chopped parsley to taste
    mixed herbs to taste
    seasoning to taste
    small amount of fresh chopped red chili (optional) I added this as we like chili

Brown onion slices in oil until tender
    Stir in flour
    Slowly pour in chicken stock, stirring
    Mix in tomatoes, leek slices, bayleaves, all the herbs, seasoning and chili (optional)

Bring to the boil, stirring
    Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the leeks are tender

I preferred to liquidise the soup.

• elnafinn
    Options
    Vegetable Souffle

Can use cooked cauliflower, broccoli and butternut squash

Half a cauliflower or other suggested vegetable
    2 large eggs beaten
    splash of cream
    1 tbsp of fresh parsley, chopped
    6 gratings of nutmeg
    3 - 4 ounces of grated cheese

Cook the cauliflower (or other sugested vegetable) until tender and mash thoroughly. Stir in the eggs, cream, parsley, nutmeg and cheese. Place mixture in a casserole dish and bake for around 30 minutes until risen and golden brown.

Oven temperate: Gas Mark 4

• elnafinn
    Options
    ps the Vegetable Souffle recipe serves 2 - 3 people

• elnafinn
    Options
    Roast Cod with Herbs and Tomatoes

Serves: 1

1 cod fillet (or any robust fish)
    Good quality olive oil
    Half a tomato slices
    Generous handful of any fresh herbs

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5

Brush cod fillet with the olive oil
    Cover with the sliced tomato
    Crush the herbs a little so they release their fragrance and place them on top of the fish.
    Wrap in tin foil to make a parcel and cook in the oven for 15 minutes
    To serve, pour some of the herby olive oil liquid at the bottom of the tin foil parcel onto the fish.

• elnafinn
    Options
    German Apple Cake

5 ozs butter
    5 ozs sugar
    3 eggs
    8 ozs SR Flour
    Grated rind of 1 lemon
    2lb Cooking apples, peeled and sliced
    Chopped almonds/ground almonds
    Cinnamon

Cream butter, sugar together and add the eggs
    Fold in flour and lemon rind and spread across greased tin/dish
    Push slices of apples down into the mixture

Sprinkle with almonds and cinnamon

Bake for 1 hour at Gas Mark 4

• elnafinn
    Options
    Harvo Bread

One and a half breakfast cups Brown Flour
    One and a half breakfast cups White Flour
    Three quarters breakfast cup Brown sugar
    4 ozs Sultanas/Dates
    1 tsp Baking powder
    Three quarters tsp Bicarbonate soda
    Half pint milk (dissolve bicarb in it)
    8 ozs Treacle

Mix flour, sugar, sultanas and baking powder in bowl. Warm treacle, stir into mixture and add milk and bicarb
    Mix well and turn into a greased loaf tin.

Bake 90 minutes in slow oven (Gas Mark 4)

Serve sliced with butter

• elnafinn
    Options
    Chocolate Crackles

8 ozs Chocolate drops
    1 level tablespoon Syrup
    2 ozs Butter
    2 ozs Cornflakes
    Paper Cases

Put chocolate drops, syrup and butter in a medium sized saucepan and heat gently until they have melted.
    Remove pan from the heat and carefully stir in cornflakes until they are completely coated
    Spoon into paper cases.
    Leave to set.

• elnafinn
    Options
    8 ozs Wholemeal SR Flour
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp baking powder
    4 ozs butter/marg
    2 ozs soft brown sugar
    2 medium sized cooking apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
    1 medium egg, beaten

Set oven to Gas Mark 5.
    Mix the flour, cinnamon and baking powder together in a large bowl. Rub in the butter, and stir in the sugar, apple and lastly stir in the egg.
    Mould into 10 - 12 small, rough heaps and place on a floured baking sheet. The mixture must not be too wet.
    Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
    Allow to cool slightly before tranferring to a wire rack.
    Serve split in half, with butter.

• elnafinn
    Options
    Chicken with Sour Cream and Mushrooms

8 chicken breasts, skinned
    50g (2oz) butter (or margarine)
    125g (5oz) mushrooms, sliced
    25g (1oz) plain flour
    150ml (1/4 pint) dry white wine
    300ml (1/2 pint) milk (or mixed milk and single cream)
    150ml (1/4 pint) fresh sour cream
    Grated nutmeg
    Salt and pepper
    Chopped parsley to garnish

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the mushrooms and sauté until just tender. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add the flour to the fat remaining in the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the wine and milk (or milk and cream) and bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring, until thickened. Add the mushrooms to the sauce, with the sour cream, and season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Arrange the chicken breasts in a casserole. Pour over the sauce. Cover and cook in a preheated moderate oven, 180C (350F), Gas Mark 4, for 1¼ to 1½ hours or until the chicken is tender.

Sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Excellent with rice or sautéed potatoes.

Serves 4

• elnafinn
    Options
    Chicken Goulash

500g cooked chicken, diced
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 onion, chopped
    50g flour
    1 teaspoon paprika
    pinch cayenne pepper
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    850ml chicken stock
    250g carrot, chopped
    250g potatoes, diced
    1 green pepper, chopped
    100g tomato puree
    250ml yoghurt
    seasoning

Fry the onion in oil until softened. Stir in the flour, paprika and cayenne pepper.

Stir in chopped tomatoes and chicken stock. Add the rest of the vegetables, tomato puree and seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.

Add cooked diced chicken and allow to heat through for a few minutes. Stir in the yoghurt before serving.

Serve with pasta or rice and a green salad.

Serves 3 to 4