Options

Comments

• mike147
    mike147 Bots Posts: 13
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    noonoo wrote:
    Hi AGYG

I am ok with wheat and sugar but I am on a milk free diet. All the recipes I've posted on here are milk free. When I first gave up milk I lost loads of weight and found it hard as so many products contain milk, but as time has gone on I've found lots of alternatives and all recipes work well with soya milk, Pure sunflower spread instead of butter or regular marg, Swedish Glace ice cream is delicious and a product called Oatly is a good substitute for cream.

I can imagine catering for yours and your husbands needs must be challenging!! But we are lucky that the supermarkets now cater for various allergies and intolerances.

I do think that overall we eat more healthily now as a lot of our food is home cooked rather than ready meals.

NooNoo
    x
    Hi noo noo,
    Is that swedish Glace ice cream ok for diabetics :?: :?: if so were did you get it :?: :?: the dietision said I can only have ice cream once a week, is that true for diabetics :?:
    Mike R & Hazel
  • noonoo
    noonoo Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi Mike

I only have the Neopolitan variety at the moment but it says there are 23g of sugar per 100g so I am guessing that would not be ideal for diabetics.

It is dairy, gluten and cholesterol free though, so will be fine for AGYG (not sure about hubby). And even though the rest of the family can eat normal ice cream they prefer Swedish Glace. I buy it from Tescos and I know Waitrose also stock it. They have a new flavour out - wild blueberry :P which I am desperate to try but not found it yet :cry:

NooNoo
    x
  • mike147
    Options
    thanks noo noo,
    I will try tescos and see if I can find it , I love ice cream I sweat a lot and this is the only thing that cools me down, The only thing is if I eat to much of an item it brings me out in rash.

Thank you again for replying :):):):):)

Mike R & Hazel :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • bigmomma
    bigmomma Member Posts: 291
    Options
    Hi, Mike 147. I've managed to get diabetic ice cream for my hubby from ASDA. However, it isn't dairy-free, so it's off limits for me. On the other hand, H&B do a nice non-dairy ice cream that I can have. Hope that helps.

Annie (AGYG - thanks to Chrisov for the acronym - typing the full name gets a bit wearing after a while)
  • bigmomma
    Options
    Just been looking back over the recipes. I use a similar recipe to Jasperalty Kat's one for lemon sole to cook salmon. I oil my cooking foil, place the prepared salmon pieces on it (I cheat and buy the salmon ready prepared), pour lime juice over it, and sprinkle the lot with chopped coriander. Seal up the parcel, and bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes. I serve this with new tates, and green beans.

Mind you, my son does insist on coating it with tom sauce. I blame his upbringing! :D
  • mike147
    Options
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( Hi all
    I tried to get the swedish glace in tescos but no luck :cry::cry::cry: I got Neopolitian soft scoop not ideal but son liked it.

Bigmomma, do you know if you can get that diabetic ice cream in Tescos which you got for your husband in ASDA.

Mike R & Hazel :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    mike147 wrote:
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( Hi all
    I tried to get the swedish glace in tescos but no luck :cry::cry::cry: I got Neopolitian soft scoop not ideal but son liked it.

Bigmomma, do you know if you can get that diabetic ice cream in Tescos which you got for your husband in ASDA.

Mike R & Hazel :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi Mike :D

Cruising the web I noticed that Tescos do a No Added Sugar Ice cream.

It's called Simply Delightful, made by a company called Everest Ices, it's vanilla ice cream and comes in a 500ml tub.
    £1.99 a tub.

I don't suppose you should eat too much of it though!!

Take care,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bigmomma
    Options
    Hi, all! With the weather turning damp and chilly again, I'm cooking an old family favourite that suits all of us - liver in tomato. Sounds weird, but works well, and the sweetness of the tomatoes helps soften the liver.

For four people, take 500g of liver(or a pound in old money), rinse it, pat it dry. Cut it into strips (I cheat and use my kitchen scissors for that bit - lethal with a knife in my hands), then fry for a short time in a large pan with a small amount of olive oil, just long enough to seal the outside of the meat. Next. pour in two medium cans of chopped tomatoes, and add two teaspoons of dried mixed herbs of your choice (I use Herbes Provencales). Bring to the boil, then simmer for half an hour. The juices from the meat turn the tomato juices into a kind of gravy.

I serve this with mashed potatoes and green beans. And the family clear their plates. :) Definitely a winner!

AGYG
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Sounds delicious Annie :D:D:D

Would you believe it, we are having liver and kidneys tonight, with new tatties and green beans, from the allotment!!!

I will definately try your recipe. Tomatoes don't do much for my arthritis but as I love them so much and we grow them in the garden too, I eat them and enjoy and perhaps suffer later.

You cannot beat a home grown tomato for taste. :D:D

Enjoy your meal!

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Method:

To every 450g prepared fruit use 300ml water. The riper the fruit, the less water you will need. Put the fruit and water into a large, heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently until the skins are soft – they will not soften after the sugar has been added.

(You will need some empty (and clean) jam jars with waxed discs and rubber bands. The riper the fruit, the pinker your jam will become.)

Use 450g-550g granulated sugar per 450g of fruit – use the larger amount for under-ripe fruit. Add the sugar and stir over a low heat until it has dissolved completely. If you boil the jam before it has dissolved, it may crystallise during storage. Bring the jam to a rapid but steady boil and boil until it reaches a temperature of between 105°C and 110°C.

Meanwhile, wash some jam jars in hot soapy water, then rinse well. Put them into a preheated oven at 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3 until you are ready to use them.

Do the 'wrinkle test' to see if you have reached setting point. It should happen after about 15 minutes or so of boiling, and your jam should by now have become slightly more viscous and clear. Have a saucer ready in the freezer. Take the pan off the heat, spoon a little jam onto the plate and leave until completely cold. Then push it across the plate with your forefinger. It should wrinkle up if it's ready. If it only slightly wrinkles, bring back to the boil and boil for a few more minutes.

Discard any scum from the top of the jam and pour it into the prepared jars, using a jam funnel. Cover the surface of the jam with waxed discs, wax-side down, and either quickly cover each jar with a dampened round of cellophane and rubber band or leave to go cold before covering with cellophane or a screw-top lid. Sealing the jars well will prevent the build up of condensation under the lid, which could lead to mould.

• flowerpower
    flowerpower Member Posts: 3
    Options
    :D:D [ What a great lot of recipes, I will be watching this very carefully, has anyone got good low calories recipes I am on a diet, can't exercise due to pain so need to eat myself thinner. Oh this thread is making me so hungry. Iam going to bed or I will go and eat somthing naughty. Nite Nite all. :D quote="noonoo"]Hi

Having asked Elna for her Squash Soup recipe I thought it would be good to start a thread on here for us all to swap recipe ideas.

So here's my first entry: Very Easy Chocolate Muffins

7oz SR Flour
    2 tbsps Cocoa (I use Green and Blacks Organic)
    4oz Caster Sugar
    75g Chocolate Chips
    2 fl oz oil (rapeseed or sunflower)
    8 fl oz milk (can use soya milk)
    1 egg
    2 drops vanilla essence

Makes approx 8

1) Combine the dry ingredients in large bowl (flour,sugar,chocolate chips)

2) Measure out the oil and milk in a jug. Add the egg and vanilla essence. Beat together.

3) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with large spoon until combined.

4) Put muffin paper cases into muffin tray and spoon in the mixture.

5) Bake in a moderate oven for about 15 - 20 minutes. Test with a skewer - if it comes out clean, they will be cooked.

Quick and easy to make but delicious. You can adapt this to make other varieties. Leave out the cocoa and chocolate chips and add fresh blueberries instead. I have also made these with glace cherries when not had any fresh blueberries.[/quote] :D:D
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi elnafinn what an excellent recipe and guide I will follw that to the tee I have still to hav ethem all picked then I hope to get down to making some jam and freezing some as well and I like the bit about the wrinkle test and I thought jam making it was not so involved many thanks
  • dianel
    dianel Member Posts: 48
    Options
    A good recipe Elna. I have two suggestions having made lots and lots of jams, marmalades etc.
    1) To sterilize jars just put spoons in each one and fill with boiling water. No need for oven.
    2) After putting jam into jars put lid on and tighten immediately. I've never found need for wax discs etc. and not had a problem. Good luck Noeltone - there's nothing like home made. Dianel.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    dianel wrote:
    A good recipe Elna. I have two suggestions having made lots and lots of jams, marmalades etc.
    1) To sterilize jars just put spoons in each one and fill with boiling water. No need for oven.
    2) After putting jam into jars put lid on and tighten immediately. I've never found need for wax discs etc. and not had a problem. Good luck Noeltone - there's nothing like home made. Dianel.

Hi Diane!

:roll: :roll: I have never actually made jam before but I have watched my mum when I was young many years ago :lol::lol: Yes, putting the spoon in the jar before boiling water is a brill idea as it stops them from cracking :lol::lol:

If you have any tasty, economical, easy recipes please share them with us all! :D

Luv
    Elna x

• noonoo
    Options
    I've made plum jam a few times and have put the jars in the oven to sterilise, along with the sugar. Delia Smith says to heat the sugar so it dissolves quicker. Agree with Diane, I never bother with wax discs, just put the lids on tight.

Another tip, if making plum jam, add a few less ripe plums as they have more pectin in, so the jam sets better. I was surprised at how easy it is to make the jam and plum jam is delicious :lol::lol: .

NooNoo
    x
  • noeltone
    Options
    Jam making all done and I froze some of the friut but when can I open and eat the stored jam perhaps I will let my son try it our first
  • jennywren
    jennywren Bots Posts: 79
    Options
    I would open it straight away and scoop it all out and lap it up on some crusty bread but I am to impatient. I cannot bear to have food in my cupboards, I just want to eat it up straight away.
  • dianel
    Options
    Same here Jennywren - home made jam on crusty bread who could resist! Dianel.
  • noeltone
    Options
    Hi Dianel I have two jars in the fridge now made about one week ago so it is OK to open and try now or should I keep it a bit longer do you think????? :?: :?:
  • noonoo
    Options
    You have demonstrated amazing self control but I reckon it's time for you to tuck in now!!! Alternatively you could always put some in the post to me :lol: !!

NooNoo
    x
  • noeltone
    Options
    a jar is on its way noonoo dont blame me I would try it out first on someone perhaps hehe
  • noonoo
    Options
    The goosegog jam is delicious!! Fair exchange, no robbery Chrisov, I'll send you a jar of plum jam in return!!

NooNoo
    x
  • jennywren
    jennywren Bots Posts: 79
    Options
    I don't think that I will be getting the other jar of gooseberry jam now but I would not expect someone to give away they're last jar of jam.
  • dianel
    Options
    noeltone wrote:
    Hi Dianel I have two jars in the fridge now made about one week ago so it is OK to open and try now or should I keep it a bit longer do you think????? :?: :?:

You can eat it right away Noeltone......just get some crusty bread and enjoy!! Good for you for having a go at making it - you don't know what you're capable of until you try. Diane.
  • noeltone
    Options
    Jam tried tonight and it was OK I am stll alive and I have to say I could really taste the fruit unlike some jams and all the ingredeints they put in them my nice complimnetay son said it was to sweet and how much sugar went in to it mind I tried to put honey in and not to much sugar I might try maramalade next as I have rather alot of oranges which are bad for arthur??????????????????????????????or not