• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    As anyone tried.
    banana and marmite sandwiches.
    joan xx

I have now, Joan, about 2.5 hours ago :D:D Yummy! But still not as yummy as peanut butter and banana :D:D

Night, night
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Weetabix and Fruit Loaf

Crumble 3 Weetabix into a bowl with
    175g brown sugar,
    175g dried mixed fruit,
    300ml milk.

Mix together and soak overnight in the fridge.

Preheat oven to 170 degrees C, 325 degrees F, gas mark 3.

Add 200g self-raising flour and 1 beaten egg
    to soaked mixture: mix well.

Transfer to a greased 900 gram loaf tin.

Bake for 1.5 hours until a skewer inserted in the
    centre comes out clean.

Slice and eat with butter or without.

Kath and I haven't made this yet, but I will have a go in the near future.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    I did make the Weetabix cake Elna
    it was ok, quite chewy on the outside but moist
    on the inside, think it might be best buttered.

Hope that doesnt sound too awful,
    by the way
    baking is not my forte. :lol::lol:

Kath xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Kath :D

I made this earlier in the week and like you, found it quite chewy on the outside, a good way to describe it and like a bread pudding texture on the inside. I did not butter it and enjoyed it. I nearly ate it all :oops: :D :roll: :oops:

I love bread pudding. I think I may well make it again. It is the sort of recipe, where one usually has the ingredients already in the cupboard.

I love baking and cooking but I am still not too good at it, or that is what hubby says, but he stays and doesn't look as if he is wasting away!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Pumpkin and apple soup with chestnuts

Almost any squash or pumpkin makes fabulous soup. “Tromboncino” included

2lb 3 ozs (1kg) peeled-weight pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
    1 tbsp olive oil
    seasoning
    1 tsp chopped rosemary
    1 large onion, chopped
    1tsp ground cumin
    1 thumb-size piece of root ginger, peeled
    11 ozs (300g) cooking apples, peeled and chopped
    3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
    1 cup unsweetened apple juice
    A handful of cooked chestnuts (vacuumed packed are fine)
    Warmed creme fraiche (optional)

Roast the pumpkin, tossed in a little olive oil with the rosemary and seasoning for 45 minutes or until soft in a medium oven. Saute the onion and garlic with the cumin and ginger, gently without colouiring until soft.

Add the pumpkin and apples, to the onion and garlic, stir well to coat them and stir in the stock and apple juice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until the apples are soft. Check the seasoning and add more stock or apple juice to taste and liquidise.

To serve, add chopped chestnuts and a dollop of creme fraiche.

• elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Delboy

I do have a Rumtopf which sits on our fireplace. Been sat there for years. Haven't ever made anything in it though :lol:

Apparantly 2 tablespoons of rumpot fruits in the bottom of a glass of champers is good. :D

E x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Bumped up for Steph. :D

Hope your weekend goes well,

Luv
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Cottage Pie (serves 4)

1 tbsp oil
    1 large onion chopped
    2 medium carrots chopped
    560g minced beef
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    400g tin tomatoes
    300ml best stock
    1 bay leaf
    fresh thyme leaves from 1 sprig
    2 tbsp worcester sauce

For the topping

750g potatoes, peeled and chopped
    225g parsnips, peeled and chopped
    75g butter
    50ml milk
    2 tsp creamed horseradish

Preheat oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and carrot and cook over a medium heat for five minutes until soft. Add the minced beef and cook for three minutes to brown. Add the tomato puree and cook for one minute. Add the tomatoes, beef stock, bay leaf, thyme and worcester sauce. Cover and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes . Season.

Boil the potatoes and parsnips in water until soft. Drain and mash with the butter and milk. Stir in the horseradish and season. Spoon the meat into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mash and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.

Yum :D

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Elna and co.

Has anyone got a recipe for Pineapple upside down cake.I have lost my copy sadly and it is one of my faves.

Please note my oven is broken so you have a few days to find the recipe.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    fantastic! i have all of those ingredients.

Elizabeth xx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    fantastic! i have all of those ingredients.

Elizabeth xx

Save me a bit Elizabeth, I love it too! Don`t bother any more though , unless family are home.......Ange.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    I have several for you

Several Rounds of Bread Pref Toasted
    Some Marge butter is bad for you

Tin of Beans
    If you dont like beans you can use Spaghette
    if you dont like beans or spaghette you can use a fried egg

Butter the bread
    place on plate
    Heat beans or spaghette or fry egg place on toast you can add a bit of brown or red sauce just for tate
    Enjoy

Colin
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thats the IFEEL ILL AND CANT COOK TODAY special.
    Well done Colin, these men know their suff.

Ange I cant cook it today cos the oven broke and waiting to get a new one.I have all the ingredients for a change.....typical.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    Liver Caserol (my mums recipe)

1 packet of Liver (lamb is best)
    1 onion
    1 tin of tomatoes
    1 pack of bacon
    mushrooms

Simply cut up the liver, dice onion and bacon, cut mushrooms into quaters. Place the tin of tomatoes into the pan then place all other ingredience into the saucepan. Bring to boil then allow to simmer for around 1 hour, stir and add bacl pepper.

Served with mash potato

i lived on this for a week when my parents went on holiday for a week and while at univeristy in halls it is gorgouse!

Are you still considering a cookbook?
    x
  • elnafinn
    edited 21. Feb 2010, 12:59
    Options
    Bread Pudding

8 oz/225 g stale (day old) bread, broken up into smallish pieces
    1/2 pt/300ml cold water
    3 oz/75g soft brown sugar
    1 egg (beaten)
    2 oz/50g currants
    2 oz/50g raisins
    1/4 pt/150ml milk
    1/2 tsp mixed spice
    1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)

sugar to sprinkle on top, white or demerara

Put the bread in a bowl and add the cold water.
    Allow to soak for 1 hr.
    Drain the bread and squeeze out any excess water (using your hands!)
    Mix the bread with the rest of the ingredients.
    Pour into a greased 8" square baking tin
    Sprinkle with white or demerara sugar
    Cook at 180C/gas 4 for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours until firm to the touch and brown on top.
    Allow to cool for 30 mins or so in the tin, before cutting into squares.
    Serve warm or cold.
    Can use jar of mincemeat instead of the dried fruit - keeps moist longer
    Adding a small tub of glace cherries tastes good too

I wonder if Wulf's recipe will be different :D

• moonseed
    moonseed Member Posts: 289
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Bumped up for Steph. :D

Hope your weekend goes well,

Luv
    Elna x

Thanks Elna. I have followed nearly all of this thread and wondered if you are Greek. I asked my OH if Elna was a Greek name but he said he didn't know. (Unusual for him, he usually knows everything as he is Greek if you know what I mean!)

Anyway, a question for you if you don't mind?
    Do you know how to make Sheftalia.
    I do make a lot Greek dishes but not this one YET and I love it.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Steph
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Steph

Looks like Del has come to your aid with the recipe :D:D

I love Greek food and when we used to go on foreign holidays which seem to have taken a back seat the last few years, we enjoyed visiting the Greek Islands.

I am half Finnish. My mum is from Finland and my dad from Yorkshire!

My Finnish Gran's name was Elna too. I have a feeling the name originated in Sweden but not 100% sure on that one. In Finland they celebrate name days as well as birthdays and mine is in February. :)

I hope you are going on ok today,

Luv
    Elna x(())

• moonseed
    Options
    delboy wrote:

Thank you Delboy.
    Looks interesting and different to what I know as Sheftalia but will give it a go.
    Regards, Steph
  • moonseed
    Options
    I noticed there are a lot of people that like bread pudding so thought I would mention bread and butter pudding.
    It's just normal bread and butter recipe i.e. bread spread with butter,
    sprinkling of dried fruit, milk and eggs. But there is one difference to the normal type, I make it with Brioche. Scrumptious!! and very fattening.
    Steph x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Sheftalia

This Greek Cypriot crépinette, a sausage without skin, uses caul fat, or omentum, the membrane that surrounds the stomach, to wrap the ingredients rather than sausage casing. Caul fat is transparent, fragile, and naturally fatty, so you will not need to baste when grilling. Ask the butcher in your supermarket for it.

Yield: Makes 30 sheftalia
    Preparation Time: 4:30 hours in all

1 pound ground pork shoulder

1 pound ground lamb shoulder or leg

1/4 pound pork fatback, rind removed and fat finely chopped

1 large onion, finely chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

2 teaspoons salt

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

1/2 pound pork caul fat

1. In a large bowl, knead together the pork shoulder, lamb, fatback, onion, parsley, salt, and pepper thoroughly and form into small egg-size shapes, slightly flattened.

2. Carefully unravel the caul fat and stretch it out over your work surface. Cut into as many 4- to 5-inch squares as you can. Place a small flattened size piece of the sausage mixture on each square and wrap it into a neat little package, shaping it with the palms of your hand. Let the sheftalia rest in the refrigerator for 4 hours.

3. The sheftalia can be frozen for up to 4 months at this point or you can grill them. Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill for 20 minutes on high. Grill the sheftalia until golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes, moving them around the grill to avoid flare-ups.
    Hi Steph

Sounds a little fiddly! Probably practice makes perfect. :) I presume you thread them onto skewers to BBQ them. I am sure I have eaten them when over in the Greek Islands. Yum!

Luv
    Elna x

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elna and wulf....you are in big trouble with my OH, I have got him cooking your bread and butter pud....Yum :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • moonseed
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Sheftalia

This Greek Cypriot crépinette, a sausage without skin, uses caul fat, or omentum, the membrane that surrounds the stomach, to wrap the ingredients rather than sausage casing. Caul fat is transparent, fragile, and naturally fatty, so you will not need to baste when grilling. Ask the butcher in your supermarket for it.

Yield: Makes 30 sheftalia
    Preparation Time: 4:30 hours in all

1 pound ground pork shoulder

1 pound ground lamb shoulder or leg

1/4 pound pork fatback, rind removed and fat finely chopped

1 large onion, finely chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

2 teaspoons salt

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

1/2 pound pork caul fat

1. In a large bowl, knead together the pork shoulder, lamb, fatback, onion, parsley, salt, and pepper thoroughly and form into small egg-size shapes, slightly flattened.

2. Carefully unravel the caul fat and stretch it out over your work surface. Cut into as many 4- to 5-inch squares as you can. Place a small flattened size piece of the sausage mixture on each square and wrap it into a neat little package, shaping it with the palms of your hand. Let the sheftalia rest in the refrigerator for 4 hours.

3. The sheftalia can be frozen for up to 4 months at this point or you can grill them. Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill for 20 minutes on high. Grill the sheftalia until golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes, moving them around the grill to avoid flare-ups.
    Hi Steph

Sounds a little fiddly! Probably practice makes perfect. :) I presume you thread them onto skewers to BBQ them. I am sure I have eaten them when over in the Greek Islands. Yum!

Luv
    Elna x

Elna,
    Thank you for going to so much trouble!
    This is more like the recipe I was after...And using caul fat makes all the difference in the World apparently. It's very difficult to get where I am but the basic recipe i.e. the pork and the lamb is what I was after.
    Thanks again, Steph
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    thank you all for your recipes you are all talking my language , i have a love of cookbooks my book case is heaving with them haven't read them all in this thread but i will :D
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elna and wulf....you are in big trouble with my OH, I have got him cooking your bread and butter pud....Yum :D

Aw, dear Barbara, you made me laugh. :lol::lol: Go and give OH a hug from me. :)

Wulf and I gave the bread pudding recipe............. so if OH is making bread and butter pudding, that is Steph's fault :lol::lol:

I am sure whatever he is making will taste just delicious. Send some over our way please :lol::lol:

Luv
    Elna x

• moonseed
    Options
    I'm beginning to feel sick but must try the brandy one. I've past caring about being old, fat and [removed by moderator] anymore.
    I think the hazelnut spread is pushing the boat out just a little bit too far for me.

Steph