Quick and Easy Recipe Suggestions.....

Options

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The Tea Bread recipe is tasty and very quick to make, Noo, Noo!

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Mincemeat Loaf

8 ozs self raising flour
    2 ozs margarine
    2 ozs caster sugar
    1 large egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    8 ozs mincemeat

Turn on oven: and set to moderate, 350 deg.F ; Gas Mark 4

Grease and line base of a 1.5lb Loaf tin with greaseproof paper

Sift flour into a bowl and run in the margarine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs

Stir in sugar

Beat the egg and milk, together in a bowl and stir into mixture with mincemeat. Beat for 2 minutes.

Spoon into the prepared tin, smooth top and bake in centre of oven for 1 hour 20 minutes or until cooked.

Cool on wire tray.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • happychick
    happychick Member Posts: 1
    Options
    New to the site and the forums and here is my contribution, more to follow...enjoy.

One pork chop per person (value ones ideal)
    1/2 cooking apple per person.
    1/2 onion per person chopped
    1/2 can of sweet cider per person.

Peel and chop onion and lay in bottom of oven proof dish.
    Peel and slice apples and lay on top of onions

Fry chops in small amount of olive oil to seal.

Lay on top.

Cover this with the sweet cider so that all ingredients are covered. Put on lid and pop in oven 180 C ( sorry don't know gas mark, about 4 I think) for about an hour.

If you want to you can put this on a lower heat and cook longer.

This is a good dish for one person or an army of people.

Serve with New boiled potatoes and white cabbage. Yummy food with minimum preparation and effort.
    :D:D:D:D
  • jools22
    jools22 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    When roasting a chicken, rub a stock cube (chicken) on its skin, (or after skinning it if you're very good) before cooking, it works wonders !!!!

If you're a bit thrifty, after the roast boil the carcass and bits left over, to make a succulent stock with some herbs, celery and parsley, let it cool and freeze for keeps," have a cup with a drizzle of lemon for the ultimate comfort hot drink."... :wink:

Jools
    XXX
  • jennywren
    jennywren Bots Posts: 79
    Options
    a Marco Pierre White suggestion sounds cool and I am very thrifty and I use a lot of left overs in my cooking which is very basic and I find I can keep these sort of stweing meals going for awhile just by adding to them as I go and I like the idea of an ultimate comfort hot drink. Comfort first then cook har har
  • jools22
    jools22 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    jennywren wrote:
    a Marco Pierre White suggestion sounds cool and I am very thrifty and I use a lot of left overs in my cooking which is very basic and I find I can keep these sort of stweing meals going for awhile just by adding to them as I go and I like the idea of an ultimate comfort hot drink. Comfort first then cook har har

Hi Jenny ( :) I thought I've shown myself with the advise... I could see noses frowning, about using the carcass, the point is that it is what chef's do, using the bones cook them and later make stock with.... It is working so ... my tip. I alos love a nice cup of chicken stock, it cures all pains and aches and it is true !! It is nice to chat with you Jenn... and YEs.. !! go for all the confort you can get.... It is your right...

Jools X
  • sassysore
    sassysore Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Yum! Will deffo be trying some of these once I get settled
  • elnafinn
    Options
    :D Delighted to see this thread at the top of the chitchat zone again! :D

There are some brill recipes on here - I know as I posted a lot of them there :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Luv
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Spicy Beetroot Salad

500 g cooked beetroot, diced
    Juice of one lemon
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teapsoon ground paprika
    Pinch ground cinnamon
    2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Lettuce

Mix together the lemon juice, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper and oil. Toss with the diced beets and parsley. Cover and chill for an hour or more. Serve over the lettuce leaves.

• elnafinn
    Options
    Beetroot Soup With Feta

If you are in a hurry, tinned tomatoes or puree will be fine but roasted tomatoes taste better!

Serves 3-4.

250 g (1/2 lb) beetroot, grated coarsely
    250 g (1/2 lb) tomatoes, halved
    1 clove garlic, chopped roughly
    1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
    1 tablespoon olive or sunflower oil
    250 ml (8 fl oz) stock
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    60 g (2 oz) feta cheese

Place the halved tomatoes in an ovenproof dish. Throw over the garlic and drizzle over half the olive oil. Roast them for 25-30 minutes at 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5 until soft and pulpy. Rub through a sieve to remove the skin and pips. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and sweat the onion for a few minutes until soft. Add the beetroot and the stock and bring to the boil. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer gently for 7-10 minutes until the beetroot is tender. Stir in the tomato purée, transfer the soup to a blender and process until completely smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Reheat the soup until thoroughly hot but not boiling. Divide between warm bowls and crumble over a little feta into each bowl. Serve with crusty bread.

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Beetroot Soup With Feta

If you are in a hurry, tinned tomatoes or puree will be fine but roasted tomatoes taste better!

Serves 3-4.

250 ml (8 fl oz) stock
    60 g (2 oz) feta cheese

Place the halved tomatoes in an ovenproof dish. Throw over the garlic and drizzle over half the olive oil. Roast them for 25-30 minutes at 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5 until soft and pulpy. Rub through a sieve to remove the skin and pips. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and sweat the onion for a few minutes until soft. Add the beetroot and the stock and bring to the boil. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer gently for 7-10 minutes until the beetroot is tender. Stir in the tomato purée, transfer the soup to a blender and process until completely smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Reheat the soup until thoroughly hot but not boiling. Divide between warm bowls and crumble over a little feta into each bowl. Serve with crusty bread.
    :oops: i tried! put my recipe in but did it wrong not used to this site yet :roll: its ended up on 1st page as u sign in.sorryx
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    mash65 wrote:
    elnafinn wrote:
    Beetroot Soup With Feta

Serves 3-4.

250 ml (8 fl oz) stock
    60 g (2 oz) feta cheese

:oops: i tried! put my recipe in but did it wrong not used to this site yet :roll: its ended up on 1st page as u sign in.sorryx
    dont know if ur interested? found myself discussing in morrisons my purchase of roasting bags,great because u dont have 2 clean oven so often. my marinades,hot & spicy 4 chicken portions,chinese 4 pork chops & mint 4 lamb chops.dont even have 2 add oil cooks in own juices. i was only talking 2 cashier when i heard an older lady ask again what they were & the que behind took it into.all available from morrisons, sales will go up now wont be able 2 get them.use the mint marinade 4 a whole leg of lamb 2 then add marinade 2 gravy its fantastic!!!!!!! x deb
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Chickpea Soup

80 ml olive oil
    1 large onion, finely diced
    6 cloves garlic
    3 tins of chickpeas or 450g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight with a pinch of bicarbonate of soda
    1 litre chicken stock
    Seasoning
    1 - 2 tbsp harissa paste
    1 tbsp tomato paste
    1tbsp of cumin seeds
    To serve: the juice of half a lemon and chopped coriander leaves.

Variations: instead of the cumin and harissa you can add two sprigs of rosemary and remove just before blending, instead of finishing with olive oil you could add a few drops of sesame oil, which brings out the nuttiness of the chickpeas.

If you are using dried chickpeas that you have soaked overnight, drain, cover with at least 2 in of water and simmer for an hour or two until tender. Heat oil in a large casserole and sweat the onion over a medium heat until translucent, being careful not to burn. Add garlic and cumin seeds and cook for a few more minutes until the cumin seeds release their flavour, avoiding colouring the garlic. Add the tomato and harissa paste and cook for another minute or so. Add the drained chickpeas and chicken stock. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. By this time all the flavours will have infused into the chickpeas. Remove half of the chickpeas and blend the remaining soup ingredients. Return chickpeas to the pan, season and serve with a squeeze of lemon juice in each bowl, the chopped coriander (or parsley) if you prefer and another drizzle of olive oil.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,461
    Options
    Mmmm
    Elna
    I LOOOVE chickpea soup.
    Gonna give this a try tomorrow with Lucy who is off scool.teacher training!,thanks
    Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Spicy Carrot Soup

1 Onion chopped
    Oil
    1 Potato chopped
    500g Carrots chopped
    1 Litre stock
    Ground Cumin and Coriander

Fry the onion in oil until softened. Add a little ground cumin and coriander.

Add the chopped potato, chopped carrots and stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer until tender.

Blend, season to taste and garnish with fresh coriander (optional).

( Very quick to make, delicious and does not taste of carrots for those that are not keen on them)

• ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Wow I've just spent ages going through these recipes, they are wonderful and I'll certainly be trying quite a few of them.
    Thanks for bringing this back to the top. I always boil my chicken bones, nothing better than good home made stock.
    I have a quick and simple recipe for meatballs and spaghetti which has impressed one or two people.
    I use those Swiss meatballs even better when they are buy one get one free, one or two jars of passatta depends on how much I'm making.
    Fry 1 or 2 onions a couple of cloves of garlic add the meatballs fry together for a couple of minutes then add the passatta, I use tomato and basil, simmer for about 30 mins add some fresh basil and just before serving I add a good handful of spinach, serve on a bed of fresh spaghetti with crusty bread. That's given me an idea for tonights dinner. :lol:
  • elnafinn
    Options
    ritnew wrote:
    Wow I've just spent ages going through these recipes, they are wonderful and I'll certainly be trying quite a few of them.
    Thanks for bringing this back to the top. I always boil my chicken bones, nothing better than good home made stock.
    I have a quick and simple recipe for meatballs and spaghetti which has impressed one or two people.
    I use those Swiss meatballs even better when they are buy one get one free, one or two jars of passatta depends on how much I'm making.
    Fry 1 or 2 onions a couple of cloves of garlic add the meatballs fry together for a couple of minutes then add the passatta, I use tomato and basil, simmer for about 30 mins add some fresh basil and just before serving I add a good handful of spinach, serve on a bed of fresh spaghetti with crusty bread. That's given me an idea for tonights dinner. :lol:

:D:lol::lol: I shall definitely be making this - I love easy and quick recipes. Thank you! :D
    Elna

• elnafinn
    Options
    Beef Cobbler (serves 4)

575 g (1 1/4 lb) stewing or braising steak, cut into cubes
    25 g (1 oz) plain flour
    1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
    salt and pepper
    1 onion, chopped
    3 tablespoons oil
    100 g (4 oz) baby carrots
    2 parsnips, quartered and sliced
    600 ml (1 pint) beef stock
    100 g (4 oz) frozen peas

For the topping
    225 g (8 oz) self- raising flour
    pinch of salt
    50 g (2 oz) butter or margarine
    1 egg, beaten plus extra to glaze
    3 tablespoons milk

Toss the meat in a mixture of the flour, herbs and seasoning. Cook in the oil until browned. Transfer to a casserole.

Cook the onion in the oil until soft and add to the casserole with the carrots, parsnips and beef stock. Season to taste. Cover and cook in a moderate oven for 2 hours until the meat is cooked. Stir in the peas.

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, rub in the fat until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Stir in the beaten egg and enough milk to make a soft dough. Roll out on a lightly floured work surface to about 2.5cm/1 in thick. Cut into rounds using a 5 cm/2 in scone cutter.

Place the cobblers on top of the meat in the casserole, increase the oven heat and bake for 15 minutes.

I made a chicken cobbler last night! You can "cobbler" anything you like :lol::lol::lol: sausage cobbler is tasty!

• elnafinn
    Options
    Beetroot and Yoghourt Salad

Chop a medium sized cooked beetroot into little cubes. Chill in the fridge until cold.

To make the dressing:

Crush quarter of a clove of garlic into 1/2 cup of natural yoghurt. This is important, do not over do the garlic. Season the yoghurt with some salt and pepper. Drizzle in a teaspoon of good extra virgin olive oil.

Place the cooled beetroot cubes on top, drizzle with a drop more olive oil.

You can serve this as a side dish to grilled fish or chicken. I just eat it on its own. :D:D

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,943
    Options
    As anyone tried.
    banana and marmite sandwiches.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    As anyone tried.
    joan xx

Hi Joan,

No, but I shall! I have recently become a marmite fan and had forgotten what I was missing.

I love peanut butter and banana sarnies - have you tried that?

Luv
    Elna x

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,943
    Options
    No Elna.
    i have not tried peanut butter and banana
    but i have
    liver cooked in the oven with gravy and veggies
    and mint sauce on as well.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    No Elna.
    i have not tried peanut butter and banana
    but i have
    liver cooked in the oven with gravy and veggies
    and mint sauce on as well.
    joan xx

........... and why not Joan :lol::lol::lol::lol: I enjoy cheese and jam sandwiches too :lol::lol:

This is making me feel a little peckish :lol::lol:

Luv
    Elna x

• ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    You can't beat fish finger sandwiches - 4 fish fingers, 2 slices of granary bread, low fat spread and ketchup or salad cream.

I had that twice at the weekend :-)

Nx
  • pussycat
    pussycat Member Posts: 36
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    As anyone tried.
    joan xx

:shock: Sorry! I am a hater but I will tell my husband who adores marmite to try it :lol: