Osteoarthritis

Heather68
Heather68 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello I’m waiting for a hip and knee replacement I have also got fibromyalgia I’m in a lot of pain and feel like I’m in constant pain which makes me depressed.

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hi @Heather68

I see that you've got a lot of pain due to your fibromyalgia and arthritis. You're waiting for a hip and knee replacement, and in the meantime the pain isn't going anywhere.

Pain is one of those things which has a huge knock-on effect on the rest of your life. I see from one of your other comments you've got one of the electric heating pads, which I love, so that's great. Sleep is also really important, especially to help you when you're already feeling depressed. I'd advise taking whatever painkillers you have (or talking to your pharmacist and seeing what else you can take with your existing medications) about half an hour before you go to bed, so you get the best sleep you can. Pain can prevent deep sleep, which can make you feel worse, so it's something I prioritise.

As surgery waiting times seem to be taking longer and longer it may be worth having a look at what other treatments you could try. Complementary therapies don't work for everyone, but they do really work for some people, so it's always worth having a look if you can. There's a good list here to look at:

Finally, I'd ask your GP for a referral to a pain clinic. The professionals there have a lot of experience with chronic pain and should be able to help you a lot. If your depression is getting to you you could also ask for a referral to the mental health clinic. This could give you CBT or counselling which could help you a lot (it has me!)

Lovely to meet you!

Shell

• suelema
    suelema Member Posts: 14

It is hard living with pain. I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia and have severe arthritis in both knees as well as chrinice tendinitis or bursitis in my shoulders and damage top and bottom of my spine. However I have gradually managed the pain by a combination of counselling which enabled me to reduce emotional stresses, gradually weaning off all opium based meds such as Tramadol then taking just a low dose of Duloxetine, using co-codamol for only days when pain is exceptional but I am wanting to do something tiring eg drive a long way, and using Naproxen plus a suitable stomach liner first for when I experience inflammation eg around the worse knee or when my fingers swell up. I also am on a very low calorie nutritionally balanced diet and have lost over 2 stone since December and that has reduced my pain considerably. More importantly taking charge of what I needed and listening to my body and my understanding of it has empowered me which is known to reduce pain. I hope my experiences help you. X