How long does Hydroxychloroquine take to work

Options

Hi Everyone!

At the beginning of February I was put on Hydroxychloroquine for inflammatory arthritis. I'd be really interested to know how long it took other people for the drug to kick in and make a difference!

Thanks in advance!

Maddie

Comments

• Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 89
    Options

It depends within 6 weeks t 400mg I saw an improvement and I had only been taking methotrexate for 2 weeks at that time but everyone is different

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,733
    Options

All DMARDS can take up to 12 weeks to work. I hope yours does soon.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 336
    Options

Hi Maddie. Sadly did t work for me. They took me off after 9 weeks. I had some mouth ulcers.

• James007
    James007 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Buenos Dias from Spain,

Interesting, Last week my RA consultant bumped up my Methotrexate from 20mg to 25mg and added in Hydroxychloroquine (Dolquine) at 200mg, also bumped up steroid tablet from 2.5mg to 5mg for two weeks to reduce swelling in my hands and feet, then reduce prednisolone (steroid) back to 2.5mg and then to stop taking the prednisolone if I have no negative effects,

I was wondering if anyone else has had this pathway of treatment, I am hoping this might get me into remission eventually.

This is my first post, but I really find the comments really helpful and positive.

By the way the treatment and consultant here in Spain is wonderful.

Buenos Dias to all

• MaryL44
    MaryL44 Moderator Posts: 36
    Options

Welcome message:

Hello @James007 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

Our website is a mine of information so do look at it. You might be particularly interested in this - it is a general introduction to RA but has a lot of info on treatment:

Please keep posting now you are here and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Mary

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• mosborn11
    mosborn11 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hi James, I know its normal to be on at least two DMARDS and I'm on Hydroxychloroquine and have now been put on Methotrextate as well