Dip joint fusion. Should I do it?

Options

Hi everyone.

I am 50 yrs old and have had oa (hands, fingers, feet, shoulders and lower back and neck), and fibromyalgia for many years. Along with other health issues.

My Ortho consultant has offered me dip joint fusion surgery. I was all for it, but reading up about it, the recovery seems quite harsh.

I still work 4 days a week, and type a lot for work. I look after my elderly Mum. Having 2 weeks off work is manageable after the surgery but full recovery takes 6-12 weeks. Is it worth the hassel and the pain of the surgery? Will I get enough benefit from it, and will I be able to type still? Please let me know how you've all coped with the surgery and adapted to it. Really don't know what is going to be best.

Thanks in advance. 😊

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 276
    Options

Hello @natk3 and welcome to the online community.

Sorry to hear your concerns about having dip joint infusion.

I have no personal experience but would advise you to discuss with professionals about your concerns.

Regarding recovery could you not arrange respite for your mother so that you can get yourself better knowing she is safe??

Please keep posting I am sure others will advise you .

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm