Recent diagnosis of OA

Options

Hi everyone. I am posting here because I found out this afternoon that recent pelvis xray results came back, and they have shown that I have osteoarthritis in both hips, tailbone and lower spine. I am female and only 30 years old but do have a family history of OA with early onset. Results show there is overgrowth at the top of my hips but the deterioration is more prominent on the right hip. They also said that various tendons are inflamed, which would make sense as my bloods have shown high inflammation markers the last year. The pain level is very high on a daily basis. Struggle with day-to-days things like getting in and out of cars, after a certain time in the day I can't get up and down stairs in my house, basically sore with anything that involves movement. Working with physio but not found it overly helpful so far as the exercises they want me to do daily are so painful to do and just increase the pain levels thereafter. GP said he will refer me to orthopaedics. Pain relief they prescribed dihydrocodiene but it didn't agree with me, had to fight to get it changed but now prescribed tramadol, and also lidocaine patches. Both of these do have some benefit but not a huge amount. Just looking for any advice about 1) learning to adjust and accept having osteoarthritis diagnosis 2) what you think are the most effective treatments and/or medications? 3) are you aware of any other resources, forums or services for OA support? 4) any other relevant tips or tricks for day-to-day life with OA? Thank you so much to anyone that reads or responds to this. Take care. Chloe xx

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 577
    Options

hi @Chloe93

Have you tried a tens machine? I have had one for many years and couldn't do without it. I'm now on my second. There are many different types with different modes - the one I have does tens, Massage, EMS with a variety of levels within each setting. They're not cheap to buy but well worth the outlay.

Trish xx

• Chloe93
    Chloe93 Member Posts: 2
    Options

@Trish9556 thank you very much for your reply thats helpful to know. I didn't even think about a tens machine but that's a great idea I will definitely look into that. Is there a certain one that you'd recommend? I'm glad you have been finding it so helpful too x

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 577
    Options

hi @chloe

The one I have is an own brand from a well known chemists. It is wired rather than wireless and takes 3 x aaa batteries. with the Tens, EMS and massage settings. It's the same brand I have always had but there are a lot of others which are cheaper, wireless, rechargeable etc so have a look at the different ones and make your own mind up :) I would say with mine that the belt clips are useless so I store and use mine in a smart phone cross over bag :)

Trish xx

• Janeymeow
    Janeymeow Member Posts: 1
    Options

@Chloe93

Hi lovely, I feel your pain and not too disimilar to mine (although I'm 56) in mobility, pain and wellbeing levels. I haven't tried a Tens machine, so may try that but I found that a lot of my pain comes from my muscles, which tense up around my hips! Muscle tightness causes pain my lower back, butt cheeks and down my thighs and I find this crippling when its really bad and can barely walk! NHS physiotherapist has given exercises to support building up the muscles that support our hips and this IS important, but does have an impact on our mobility afterwards! So they say to do it every other day, have a rest day and then repeat and do small bite sized daily chores, so's not to "overdo" anything, but realistically how can we when our bodies tense up around the affected areas :(

I go to a remedial soft tissue massage once a month to help getting the muscles to loosen up again and its like a revelation. I have to pay privately as this is not something I'm aware the NHS supplies, but it well worth it, and with exercises to help support muscles, its definately better :)

• Dobbson789
    Options

Hi thank you for your message have you had a hip replacement like I have I will think about my muscles now.

• Dobbson789
    Options