Struggling to manage frequent flare ups

Hello, my first post! I’m Sandi, a retired nurse, aged nearly 60. I live with psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis. Currently taking Benepali injections for the psoriatic arthritis, plus celecoxib and paracetamol for pain. I’ve recently completed the Nuffield joint pain course and joined the gym afterwards but I’m suffering frequent flare ups. It’s so frustrating as the gym is great for my mental health and strengthening my quads etc to help my knees. Currently under a physio for knee pain. I’ve had a really bad day today, pain in so many joints. I can’t decide whether to throw in the towel at the gym, or keep going. My Rheumatology team are great, I can contact the nurses direct between appointments for advice, but seem to be needing this more frequently. My GP surgery aren’t interested as I’m under the Rheumatologist. So sick of feeling rubbish and in pain, it affects all aspects of my life. I have a lovely hubby who fully supports me but I want to stay independent. Not sure that I have any specific question but it’s good to get it off my chest!

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,214

Hello @Sandi65 and welocme to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

It is good that you have good support from your Rheumatology team and your husband. Try and keep going to the gym, every bit of exercise we can do is generally beneficial, just don't overdo it.

If you do have a question then please post it here. It is likely that someone on here will have experience and be willing to share it with you. I would also recommend heading over to our website and having a look around it. It contains a lot of useful information on arthritis, treatments and hints and tips on everyday living.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 500

Hi @Sandi65 your probably aware the body is a rough tough mean machine but there is a bit more to it. I find there I times I can face aches and pains and slog my way along and other times when the aches and pains just whack me out and feels rubbish. Do find time to give it a rest for a while when it gets like that, and live to fight another day.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 806

Hi @Sandi65 and welcome.

I'm 68 and also have PsA and OA - I've also got enthesitis. I'm on sulfasalazine, MTX and the adalimumab biosimilar Amgevita. I attended the Nuffield Health Joint Pain course in early 2023. I thought it was really helpful. I did use the added 24 week membership though mainly for swimming as the static machines are really not for me. A couple of times I really pushed myself in the swimming pool and afterwards realised that I needed to reign in my aspirations. I found the sauna helped but it's an issue for someone who is immunocompromised if it get busy. I now do my stretching and remedial exercises at home and I walk a lot with my dog. In fact it was a running joke with my fellow participants on the Nuffield course when they complained about not getting out to exercise my response was always to get a dog! I had two 12 week one to one courses with a rheumatology physio via the nhsanywhere on line app which were really good. The physio then put a series of videos on youtube featuring her doing the various exercises which are still live so I tune in to them. My rheumatologist always stresses the need to keep my joints moving but within reason. Like you my first GP was not helpful - thankfully I was able to move to another practice.

• Sandi65
    Sandi65 Member Posts: 3

Thank you for your comments, I know I am a bit of a ‘boom and bust’ person, so on days I feel good I’ll push myself, probably too much, and then I ‘bust’ and end up feeling frustrated. I think (hope!) I’m learning to recognise this and rein it in. It’s good to know there are others out there feeling the same!

• Nen150880
    Nen150880 Member Posts: 6

Hi, I also have Psoriatic arthritis, I have had it for 24 years now. I have joined a gym and I love it. Even on the days I don't feel like going, once I've been I feel much better. Just slow it down and be gentle on yourself on flare up days. It's about keeping moving little and often. I would keep going. What was the Joint pain course like? I have been thinking about applying for it but wasn't sure if it would be a waste of time. Thanks x

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 500
    edited 14. Jul 2024, 14:32

I find arthritis exaggerates the difference between boom and bust. I spend a lot more effort to both rest and catch up at the weekend. I rest my brain by doing the catch up on a checklist and my body by just lying down when I have to and let it wash over me as often as it wants to. Booking an extra day off at the weekend is also quite useful.

The weekend is also my one big chance to have a lie in (and wake up stiff as a board but hey, its the weekend).