Say hello!

VH24
VH24 Member Posts: 2
edited 17. Jul 2024, 09:18 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I've just joined community, I've been living with osteoarthritis for some years, took a while to get diagnosed, recently been told I'm suffering with fibromyalgia and that my osteoarthritis is very progressive bone deteriation very advanced for my age! I am also battling depression and anxiety, most days are a painful struggle!

I hope that I can get some ideas on how to cope better, start to understand my conditions more, maybe feel a little better, and hear about others that understand what it's like to have arthritis!

Comments

• annabanana
    annabanana Moderator Posts: 56

Hello @VH24 and welcome to the community!

You are not alone, many people with arthritis also struggle with their mental health and it's key that we look out for each other - hopefully some people in the community can offer support and guidance. I have attached some links which may be helpful looking at and hopefully other members will come along to give some other suggestions and their experiences ☺️.

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 242

@VH24

Hello and welcome. I understand how you are feeling as this osteoarthritis makes you feel up one day and down the next. About 18 months ago I felt really down and depressed and felt I couldn't cope any longer. The only way I thought to go was to make an appointment to see my Doctor ( not easy these days I know ). So rather than try and get through on the phone, I wrote a letter to my Doctor explaining how I was feeling and all my symptoms and asked to see him face to face. This worked and my Doctor referred me on to the MSK people, where I was given further treatment ( I have recently had a hip replacement and would recommend it to anybody ).

I also found that you have to be persistent in getting any advice/treatment and to chase things up as I was "lost " in the system once!

I hope I have helped and know that you are not alone on here. Please let us know how you get on. Take care.🙂

• AnnePK
    AnnePK Member Posts: 1

I have constant pain with osteoarthritis of hip and lower back. Apart from not having a ‘normal’ life any more the depression comes from trying to be heard by GPs and having to fight for pain relief. Etc. My pain relief - paracetamol and codeine do nothing. What helps others with this sort of pain?

• AnnePK - definitely relate to what you're going through - I can't know what your pain is like, but I also feel that paracetamol and codeine isn't doing anything for me. I've been to a chiropractor, who is able to deal with the spinal issues I have causing nerve pain and she's also tried to get my GP to see that there is a need to refer me for further investigation of the hip pain I have. She's sent an x-ray of my hip that was taken at my initial appointment, she can't do anything for that, but offered to send it with a covering letter asking for referral to orthopaedics, though I'm not sure if this is the correct department for the help I need. I also have hand pain that can be CHRONIC so have posted a request for advice about pressure gloves while working.