Boom and bust

A few weeks ago I had a good couple of weeks. I felt energised and maybe did too much physical activities. Then I woke up one morning a few days ago in agony. My knees were so painfull. I felt totally wiped out. I spent 2 days just sat on the sofa with my feet up dozing off every now and then. Iv heard this called /he boom and bust effect. Anybody else experienced this?

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Yes, I can totally relate to this. I did too much at work on Friday, on my feet for 8 hours instead of the planned 4. As soon as I got in the car at the end of the day the real pain started to kick in, and I could barely get up the path when I got home. I’ve spent the last 4 days wiped out on the sofa, throwing back painkillers. Lesson learned... gradually easing myself back into the world again now,

• DODGYKNEES
    DODGYKNEES Member Posts: 90
    It's annoying isn't it. You don't think at the time that your going to suffer later
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782

That feeling of *can do* suckers you every time doesn't it. I'm paying the price now and have been for the last 3 solid weeks with a flair in my wrist and fingers, fortunately it's in my left hand and arm or I would be totally snookered.

Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • Lilymary

I don’t learn, did far too much in the garden on Saturday and my entire body was welded to the mattress on Sunday. Woke up at 11.30. My husband had already been out for a run and was getting ready to go out again when I woke up. 🙄

• KazandNoo
    KazandNoo Member Posts: 129
    It's hard when the body won't keep up with the mind!🥴
  • YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Lesson for me to learn too, just lost a weekend! Ended up with a migraine type headache and it was easier to say which joints weren't hurting so much than which were!

One day … although after over 15 years possibly not

Take care everyone

Yvonne x

• Lilymary

That sounds miserable Yvonne, hope you’re feeling better now,

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

This is a well known symptom of arther, we all have to accept what we can do and change our lifestyle. Although I’d been doing it for the last forty odd years it wasn’t till I went on a Pain Clinic course that it was revealed in such stark reality by the tutors. Sounds like you need a GPs referral to the course?

its a grin, honest!

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307

The phrase spirit is willing should come with a health warning as the body is so often not even on the same page. I have got back to physio led pilates after 10 weeks absence ( not my choice I wasn't included in the group) and it has taken me 2 weeks to realise the day my session is in the evening DON'T DO MUCH OVER THE DAY YOU IDIOT!! I did the first weeks and felt I had been hit by a bus, it took a couple of days for my body to get over the shock just in time for the second session of the week. My muscles still feel like jelly much of the time and I feel like I have lost a great deal of strength I hope it comes back quickly as it took me 3 years to get as good as I was before the lockdown. Just finished a session so I am off for a cup of tea and I think I have earned a biscuit too.

• Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119

I tend to look at what I can still manage to do, it surprised me how much I can manage. I get more out of an hour a day in the garden than I ever did by tackling the thing like a military manoeuvre. I never liked or was any good at decorating, so having a legitimate excuse for not doing any is fine by me. I struggle to get in and out of low slung cars, so I now drive a far more suitable SUV, and guess what? I much prefer it. I have my 5 miles a day dog walk, I occasionally get back pain towards the end of it, but how is a 73 year old (on Sunday) expect to feel?

All in all I’m still here, breathing, eating and drinking, some aren’t

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307

Hope you have a good birthday on Sunday Crookesey.

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

thank you for this amazing thread, it got us all thinking about this issue at Versus Arthritis and Joseph Loades, a physiotherapist based at the Royal Blackburn Hospital agreed to put together his thoughts for us to share with you too. As we know it's good to look at things from different angles and to grow our understanding. So thank you everyone and @DODGYKNEES for sharing your thoughts and experiences and for inspiring us so much

Best Wishes

Sharon

• DODGYKNEES
    Thanx Sharon
  • Rambler
    Rambler Member Posts: 3

I know exactly what you mean. You have to plan each day considering your activity levels. If I am gardening I will know the next day I will suffer, so plan accordingly. I have overdone it many a time and the next day I'm like a cripple. Depressing when I think 18 months ago I was walking 60 to 70 miles a week. I was a dedicated rambler walking most of Southern England BUT now 4 or 5 miles and I am in so much pain. Depressing to say the least !@

• Lilymary

Me too @Rambler, it’s rubbish isn’t it. From the mountain tops to ASDA, and it takes me longer to recover from the shopping trip than it ever did from a 12 mile circuit fell walk.

• DODGYKNEES

@Lilymary from the mountain tops to asda. Lol.

• Lilymary
    edited 5. Oct 2020, 16:13

@Rambler I walked into the village yesterday to post a letter, forgot the stamps, walked home and back into the village to post said letter. Normally less than 5 minutes each way. It was a painful shuffle each way and I was in agony when I got home, I spent the day wiped out on the sofa, and the pain still hasn't subsided. I dream of doing 4 or 5 miles, but it's physically impossible, even on the flat. I just feel pathetic, having spent most of my adult life and all my family holiday when younger going up mountain,s, latterly including the Himalayas.

Still, first steroid injection due on Thursday, let's hope it works, cos this is just utter pants and I'm sick of it. What I don't understand is a friend is due for her hip replacement in a few days, and she's still capable of walking her dogs every day. I can't even make it to the post box without limping like Tiny Tim. Sorry, feeling really jaded today.

• DODGYKNEES

@Lilymary from what I understand arthritis and it's symptoms affects people differently from day to day.

I know it's easier said than done but try to stay positive. From my experience low mood comes with the fatigue. Hope u r well

• Lilymary

Thanks @DODGYKNEES, sorry about the rant. It’s been a tough week. @Rambler, apologies to you also, I didn’t mean to drag you into my whinge.

• DODGYKNEES

@Lilymary a good whinge is sometimes good.

• Airwave!

The trouble with a good whinge is that it’s a negative feeling alas one many of us fall into? We need to find a positive thought that we can hold in our minds that supports where we want and need to be.

Its a matter of training our minds toWards positive thoughts rather than, perhaps, easier to find negative thoughts. Positive thoughts support our vulnerable bodies by supporting our minds. I for one don’t want to live in a pit of despair, I have too much to live a good life for.

I’ve just eaten a chicken stew I made yesterday washed down with a bottle of Doom Bar, had a video call with the gc and written this positive message.👍

its a grin, honest!

• Lilymary

You're quite right, but I also think being honest with yourself about the fact that you feel rubbish can also be constructive, and reaching out to others can be a helpful start to turning the corner. I have spent almost my entire adult life being totally self reliant, but I can say from experience that it's a mixed blessing! Having the support of others is a wonderful new feeling for me.

My OH is calling me for dinner and wine. They help too!

• Airwave!

Yes Lily there is a lot in what you say and learning our limits is a positive experience and when to rest and when to move is helpful. Perhaps these things are a matter of nuance? A dividing line that constantly moves and we must learn not to cross over into the darker side of our minds? Interesting!

its a grin, honest!