Ankle replacement views

Wendles
Wendles Member Posts: 10
edited 27. Oct 2020, 14:44 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I hope someone can help. I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who has had an ankle replacement and how they're getting on. I have a left ankle fusion which has been great. My right ankle needs surgery and I've been told I can have either another fusion or a replacement. Amazing since this was not an option for my left. I think two fused ankles might pose even more problems on stairs and uneven ground so I'm tempted to have a replacement so I have some movement. I've been told the incidence of infection, poor wound healing, and failure rate is higher with a replacement. If you've had an ankle replacement, how long has it lasted? How quickly did you heal? Do you still have pain? Do you regret it?

Thank you for any feedback you can give me.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,403

Looks like fusion is more of a frequently done option @Wendles but I can see why you'd like one with more flexibility.

So I went through the archives to see if i could find anyone who had had it done!

I found 'Smig' not a frequent visitor (you should remember him!) now but:

Then after his op:

and prefabkid?

I hope some of the 'newer' members have had the op and have their stories to share.

Maybe you will have to share yours if you do go ahead. I for one would be interested to hear how you get on.

Take care

• 0789blackie
    0789blackie Member Posts: 13

hi im interested in how your ankle fusion surgery went as im waiting on a right ankle fusion and don't know what to expect ive got severe post traumatic ankle osteoarthritis in my right ankle from an injury 20 years a go it was pinned and screwed then but over the years as worn the cartilage with wear and tear but there's not much flexibility in the joint left and ive walked with a limp all that time im now at a point where surgery is the only option and im currently waiting on a ankle fusion surgery since November 2019 I know times are in demand for the NHS and surgery is moving much slower but I was receiving annual steroid injections which worked up until November 2019 im now at a stage where I can barely walk the pain is unbearable most days but I try to keep myself in shape by eating well and doing exercise daily ive got weights and also I have my bike set up on a turbo trainer in the basement of my apartment block so I try to exercise daily its a push but im managing to keep active and just would appreciate any feedback regarding ankle fusion as im not clear of what to expect im really hoping or expecting after surgery for it to be pain free so I can go back to work and do all the things I like doing and try to lead a normal life I don't have much movement in my ankle so I know that won't change but at the moment im limited to more or less staying indoors most days

really appreciate knowing your experience pre-ankle fusion

stay safe

regards

darren

• prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316

I see a number of posts debating replacement or fusion.This is prefabkid here!I was an old timer on here for many years as many will remember,(dreamdaisy I still enjoy my real ale).Had my ankle replacement back in 2011 and still giving me great service with little or no discomfort,though do have occasional discomfort with other bones of the foot but declined a triple arthrodecis.Don’t regret having it done.

Will try and keep more regular contact,have neglected you all.

Ron

''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • Hi I’m 17 I’ve been offered a ankle fusion but would like some insight of what life is like afterwards. And wether a ankle replacement is the better option

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883

Hello @Emilybailey and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have been offered an ankle fusion and are wondering whether replacement is better. I am sure others in the community will connect with you to share their experiences and support through their stories.

Our website has a lot of information and you might find it useful to have a look through it and use the search function - I've put a link below that may help.

We also have a Helpline who could provide you with more information

Please do keep posting and let us know how you get on

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504

with the lower part of your ankle/heel they can only fuse it , if that part of your ankle is ok , then they can offer you a replacement , allways take the advice from your consultant

I have had both heel fuse 20 years ago & need the main joint fused on my left ankle , hope it helps you

• I have athritis in both ankles and now need walking sticks! Last visit to Dr he said you are an old man 76 take paracetamol , next please? Geoff

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 992

Hi @geoff1947VA and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

You might find the following of use.

If you have any questions just ask on here and our members will do their best to help you.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Good morning i had a talus fusion in18 and a sub talus in 20 there was a trial going on for both they don't like doing ankle replacements under 60...

I met some one in Stammore RHOH who had a replacement it didn't work anlle full of medical cement...

As for the young person who wanted info on the fusion..

They open the front of foot rough up the joint two screws in side of ankle in plaster 3month's 3 plaster changes no weight bearing get a knee walker air boot 8 weeks then learn to walk again..

My avatar top right pic is my ankle after two fusions still a gardener...