Forum World Cruise Part 2

Options

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    can see me falling on my bum then at least once perhaps i can stand still and rehab can run around me lol
    val
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Oh Val be careful :wink:
    debs
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    No, but I'm riveted!
    Annie
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    "India it is shipmates" " left hand down a bit, warp factor 10 Scotty, and full ahead both thingies

Chicken Massala and onion bhajiis on the menu till landfall....

AHOY THERE< CAPTAIN :!: :!: How great to have you back behind the wheel :!: Fat Kev was nothing but trouble, but I expect he'll have to stay with us for the rest of the voyage now as your second in command.

We missed you at the barbie on the beach, so we'll have to make up for it now. A party is in order for tomorrow night, I think!!

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Right you lot!

Have been catching up on this thread and decided that you are all barking mad so I fit in very nicely.

OK, I'm going to put on my salwar kameez (long top and trouser type suit, far more easier to wear than those sari-things, ladies), pretend to be Indian (I do a fairly good impression for a UK born Indian) and be your official guide for this country.

Choice of costume:

- Blokes - Kurta Pyjamas (long top and trousers, very comfy) and I don't think we're going to be able to persuade Rehab out of that leopard print thong, so that's another alternative.

- Ladies - saris, salwar kameez's or lengas (fitted top and long flowing skirt). Don't forget your bindis (dots on foreheads) - you can different colours and even bling ones. And bangles.

Right, costume sorted? Let's start off in Delhi then where the bars etc are :-) Then tomorrow we can go on to the Taj Mahal and take THAT picture where you can pretend to be touching the top of it.

Friday, we're off to Amritsar (The Golden Temple) which in my opinion is the most beautiful place on earth, really it is. But be careful of the beggars and pick pockets, they will see us coming (including me).

There's also a couple of "eateries" at the roadside. I say "eateries" because they are basically a trailer with a kitchen in it and a trailer with some tables and chairs but you will never eat nicer Indian food, I promise you! Also, can I take this opportunity to point out that real Indian food is very different to your kormas etc. It's a lot healthier and I think you'll find you don't get the same "after effects" the next day... if you know what I mean.

Ooooh, and we MUST eat at Havelli, my favourite restaurant in the whole world. It has it's own museum of life in India during the last century too, very educational.

Please don't drink the alcohol, unless you want to be very very ill :-) It's ALL homemade, despite what they will tell you!

Nx
  • valval
    Options
    all home made sounds like rehabs you should see what he has in that bunker :oops: :oops: not seen it myself debs told me honest
    val
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Joan

Can we go for a ride on an elephant? :D

Have we got any other food than currie I don't like that. :mrgreen:

Are we go to the that big temple place I can't spell it. it's where Princess Di sat outside

What are the activities are there :(

trish xx
  • trisher
    Options
    Nina

I'll wear what you wear I don't want to appear rude. Oh I'll have a Bandi.

Has rehab got one of those a bandi :shock: And a thong :D

trisher xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi gang a010.gif

oh lovely India, good choice Joan. Thanks for the update Nina I must get "that photo" for the album. Can I have a purple dot on my forehead please, I do love purple. I thought they were all the same colour? (sorry I'm not well travelled.)
    Hi again Trish, I would love to ride on a nelly can we pleeeease?
    I will love the food, but then I can eat pretty much anything and frequently do. :oops:
    Just off to select a sari, they look so lovely. Guess what colour?

(ps Nina - a new Ben Elton due out sometime in November if my sources are correct) Catch you all later.
    Chris :wink:
  • valval
    Options
    ill come on nelly with u love elephants
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    Right you lot!

Have been catching up on this thread and decided that you are all barking mad so I fit in very nicely.

OK, I'm going to put on my salwar kameez (long top and trouser type suit, far more easier to wear than those sari-things, ladies), pretend to be Indian (I do a fairly good impression for a UK born Indian) and be your official guide for this country.

Choice of costume:

- Blokes - Kurta Pyjamas (long top and trousers, very comfy) and I don't think we're going to be able to persuade Rehab out of that leopard print thong, so that's another alternative.

- Ladies - saris, salwar kameez's or lengas (fitted top and long flowing skirt). Don't forget your bindis (dots on foreheads) - you can different colours and even bling ones. And bangles.

Right, costume sorted? Let's start off in Delhi then where the bars etc are :-) Then tomorrow we can go on to the Taj Mahal and take THAT picture where you can pretend to be touching the top of it.

Friday, we're off to Amritsar (The Golden Temple) which in my opinion is the most beautiful place on earth, really it is. But be careful of the beggars and pick pockets, they will see us coming (including me).

There's also a couple of "eateries" at the roadside. I say "eateries" because they are basically a trailer with a kitchen in it and a trailer with some tables and chairs but you will never eat nicer Indian food, I promise you! Also, can I take this opportunity to point out that real Indian food is very different to your kormas etc. It's a lot healthier and I think you'll find you don't get the same "after effects" the next day... if you know what I mean.

Ooooh, and we MUST eat at Havelli, my favourite restaurant in the whole world. It has it's own museum of life in India during the last century too, very educational.

Please don't drink the alcohol, unless you want to be very very ill :-) It's ALL homemade, despite what they will tell you!

Nx

Hi Nina

Thank you for your excellent information about India. I knew we could rely on you to act as our guide while in the country.

Captain Rehab looks very sexy in his Kurta Pyjamas, don't you think :?: Much preferable to that leopard print thong :shock: We ladies look devine in our saris, salwar kameezes, and with our bindis on our foreheads. Everything is so colourful in India.

I'm looking forward to Delhi and the Taj Mahal. You always think of Princess Diana at the Taj Mahal, sitting looking so lonely when her marriage was breaking up. It was such a sad picture, wasn't it?

But we won't be sad :!: We'll have a great time tomorrow, and all that lovely food too :!: :!:

Joan
  • annie_mial
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    annie_mial wrote:
    No, but I'm riveted!
    Annie
    It goes like this, Every ship that is built has one Gold Rivet placed in the bottom of the bilges. The newest member of the ships company is then taken by another crew member to find this rivet. Obviously the bilges are dark......and no-one can hear your screams (of delight?) as the crew member whispers into the ear of the newbie..."There it is sailor, down there in the corner, you will have to bend right over to see it........."

Yes, I know the routine, "hat.. door...TAXI!!!!!!

I bl**dy know it's dark down there! All I could see was your flashing neon sign, which alerted me!
    Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    rehab44 wrote:
    annie_mial wrote:
    No, but I'm riveted!
    Annie
    It goes like this, Every ship that is built has one Gold Rivet placed in the bottom of the bilges. The newest member of the ships company is then taken by another crew member to find this rivet. Obviously the bilges are dark......and no-one can hear your screams (of delight?) as the crew member whispers into the ear of the newbie..."There it is sailor, down there in the corner, you will have to bend right over to see it........."

Yes, I know the routine, "hat.. door...TAXI!!!!!!

I bl**dy know it's dark down there! All I could see was your flashing neon sign, which alerted me!
    Annie

As long as it was only the neon sign which was flashing, Annie :!: :shock: :shock:

Joan
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Don't ask, Joan........
    Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Annie

I think our captain has returned in an extra-naughty frame of mind, don't you agree :?: The rest must have made him even more frisky than ever :!: :roll:

Joan
  • trisher
    Options
    Joan

What are we going to do tomorrow joan where are we going?

I do hope we can ride on an elephant

trisher
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Trisher

Nina is our guide tomorrow, because she knows India well. Tomorrow, we are going to Delhi and the Taj Mahal. You will definitely be able to ride on an elephant. You will look majestic in your beautiful sari. Everyone will think the Queen just passed by. Start practising your royal wave :!: :D

I hope you will have a good night.

Joan
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Bromide in his next pint of Old Felonious, Joan.
    Annie
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    All this time travel is tiring

Have just had cuppa at the cafe, done a bit of counselling and here I am. Just in time for the festival of ???? Devali or something?

I am just going to buy myself something Indian to wear and my elephant awaits. OMG how do I get up on this thing. Reminds me ofthe balloon ride I went on last year.

joy
  • ninakang
    Options
    Joy,

Diwali was on Saturday, but **** it, let's celebrate anyway, seeing as we're here :-)

Bindis come in allsorts of colours - in answer to the question, you might be thinking of Hindi women who wear a red dot once they are married.

Chris - a new Ben Elton? I'm going to look that up!

Anyone who doesn't like Indian food, there's a MacDonald's in Jalandhar (where the Golden Temple is)! Most restaurants will do you chips etc.

We must visit the South while we're here - Kerela etc because that's where the tourist resorts are and because I've never been there :-)

Nx
  • valval
    Options
    it great to have a tour guide we will not miss anything the elphants were great but mine soaked me nearly fell
    off it was so cold a045.gif
    val
  • joanlawson
    edited 22. Oct 2009, 15:29
    Options
    Hi shipmates

Well here we are at the Taj Mahal. We arrived early this morning riding on a stately procession of elephants, with Trisher at the front, looking regal in her golden sari. She waved a royal wave to all the crowds of people who had come to see her pass by. Following behind was Captain Rehab in his Kurta Pyjamas, waving to all the young ladies who had heard that their hero was arriving.( Honestly, it's worse than travelling with a pop star :!: )

Nina gave us a talk about the history of the Taj Mahal, how it was built in 1631 by Shah Jahan in memory of his beloved wife, Mamtaz Mahal, who died in childbirth when she was having her 14th child.

It took 22 years to build, and took 22,000 labourers and 1000 elephants to complete the work. It is built entirely of white marble, and is adorned with semi-precious stones so it stands like a sparkling jewel.

Did you ever build a castle in the air? Here is one, brought down to earth and fixed for the wonder of ages.
    Quote American novelist, Bayard Taylor

It is such a tragic love story, isn't it :?: I am struck dumb in awe. ( For anyone who knows me, that is a first :!: :lol: )

Joan
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    One birthday, Frank bought me one of those posh tent thingy`s.....sorry gazebo`s. First strong wind and it blew over the fence! I`m laughing now, remembering him legging round the field chasing my Taj Mahal.
  • ninakang
    Options
    Thanks for the history lesson, Joan, I didn't actually know the finer details :-)

I also laughed out loud at the gazebo story!

Nx
  • annie_mial
    Options
    I last rode on an elephant some 50 years ago - I'd forgotten they were so lumpy! Having gazed rather wistfully at the Taj Mahal, I decided no, I think it's a little too big to go in the living room as a memento.
    Inda is lovely, so bright and colourful, some friends are off there soon for their hols for a month, they go every year 8) .
    I have selected a new sari, blue and silver, I think it's the nicest one so far and suits me wonderfully.
    The gazebo story made me laugh, too! I can just picture it.
    Annie