Anyone for Gardening?

Options

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i grew yellow tomatoes the other year and they were lovely do not know what they were called some one from work gave them to me as plants
    val
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Rehab, how do you stop caterpillars eating all the cabbages? I can't bear caterpillars :shock:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Intensive close planting for baby sized veg :D[/quote]

Hadn't thought of that, Rehab! Thanks.

I need a large builders after all that work.................have the men packed up their tools and gone now?

Annie
  • valval
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Intensive close planting for baby sized veg :D

Hadn't thought of that, Rehab! Thanks.

I need a large builders after all that work.................have the men packed up their tools and gone now?

Annie[/quote]
    yes but will be back tomorrow to finnish the job.
    i can not grow carrots not sure why they just do not grow hhheeeellllppppp
    val
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    HI
    My hubby has brought me a load of mortar tubs to make a raised bed garden he will be putting decking around them to make them look nicer and I am really looking forward to planting them up, (those hunks could really help with the physical and motivation too :wink: !!)

I have loads of seedlings in my mini greenhouse and on my conservatory window ledge its my first time except for strawberries and my blueberry bushes. Although this year I have a dedicated 4ft by 2ft tub just for strawberries instead of 1 little planter. I have grown lavender from seed as well as sweetcorn, butternut squash, courgettes, aubergines, cherry tomatoes, basil, oregano, chillies, strawberries, broccoli and sweet peppers.
    Any advice would be welcome as I am very new to all this but enjoying time in the garden when I feel up to it.
    I still need to think about some flowers too as my kids want to know where they are this year!!

loving this thread much better than my miserable ones something positive for a change
    love Theresa :lol:
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    I think i used to use deris dust(or some thing simmlar) for cabbages etc. stops caterpillars.
    Peas get maggot so you got to be careful.
    Ive forgot to say on the pot front, ive got rosemary,chives & mint. i get about 4 fresh shoots of mint, wash it & chuck it in with peas & potatoes,must try making mint sauce with it.
    I infuse lamb with fresh rosemary & freshly chopped chives go with loads of things.
    debs (who's loving this post)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Tilly,

Could we have a big magnolia and a wonderful old oak in you garden please.... and a bench and a deer who is friendly as well as some peace roses and a blue moon? ((( ))) and love the cyber garden :D Cris x
  • valval
    Options
    got a feeling this will run and run can not wait to water them all when we have them in love getting all wet trisher we can have a water fight in the summer
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Cris

have brought the blue moon that I took from my Mum's garden when she died....

very good place for it....

Val...

I have also brought several large waterbutts with all the piping so we can drip water everything if we want to...need some help to get it all set up though...Jan??!!!! JAN!!!!
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Rehab, how do you stop caterpillars eating all the cabbages? I can't bear caterpillars :shock:

Easy Joan don't grow cabbages go to Waitrose to get them!, seriously though I think you have to either spray the buggers or use a very fine netting to keep the old fluterbyes off them.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:

Easy Joan don't grow cabbages go to Waitrose to get them!, seriously though I think you have to either spray the buggers or use a very fine netting to keep the old fluterbyes off them.

I'm trying netting over my lettuces this year Mell....

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    Options
    right chairs are out on patio cushions placed on. waiting for all who want to sit and look at garden (well hunks digging) dell good idea and rehabs grand children can put them in for us if they will
    val
  • valval
    Options
    oh i love the smell of stock flowers, its just "summer" smell for me 8) i may get a pkt and sprinkle them out the front window, they would have maybe a 50/50 chance eh?? :shock:

yes go for it got some lavender near path as well. good job heyfeever does not affect me on here lol
    val
  • valval
    Options
    dogs ate all my lavender bushes :shock:
    c045.gif

just loved this bet there droppings smelt nice for a while
    val
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    quote]Swop advice Theresa, I always have probs with oregano, can't seem to grow it from seed for love nor money, any tips?[/quote]

I scattered the seeds in a long tub in normal compost on my window ledge in the conservatory above a radiator to help them germinate and made sure I kept watering it then seperated the seedlings out. So far so good will keep you posted on it if it grows still only 1 inch plants at minute :mrgreen: .

Theresa :)
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Me favourite veg has to be purple sprouting and my favourite flowering plants are honeysuckle for the heavenly scent they produce and foxgloves for looks, and the bees love em too, foxgloves that is.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello again! So thrilled that everyone is enjoying our new garden :D

Hunky guys are doing brilliantly - spurred on by plenty of tea and lemonade from the cafe so by the weekend we should be up and running I reckon. Toni, guys have said they will come back to help with waterbutts and as needed - so we may be seeing them quite often I think lol.

We've already got lots of plants and lots of plans so I can see this being a great success.

Please feel free to pop in to the garden anytime to plant, water, swap tips or just to sit in the sun and dream.

It's raining in my garden at home today, but I'm sure it's lovely and sunny in our garden so I'm going to sit in the shade of the old oak, admiring the magnolia and waiting for that friendly deer to pop in! (as per Skezier's earlier post!)

Happy gardening!

Tilly xxx
  • valval
    Options
    think i will get in the hammock and read my book might never leave the garden got all we need . but can we have a water feature always nice to listen to on still summers day hunky men can come back and do it later on lol
    val
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Good idea. Water feature would be very relaxing. Lets keep those ideas coming for jobs for the hunky men lol. :P
  • valval
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Good idea. Water feature would be very relaxing. Lets keep those ideas coming for jobs for the hunky men lol. :P

we always fetch the hunky firemen if for hard jobs lol
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    can we have a wild flower patch...got some seeds left over here ...there are poppys cornflowers...to many to mention :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    can we have a wild flower patch...got some seeds left over here ...there are poppys cornflowers...to many to mention :)

that great idea what about infront of the walls to the side of the path leading to patio will that be ok
    val
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Any advice would be welcome as I am very new to all this but enjoying time in the garden when I feel up to it.
    I still need to think about some flowers too as my kids want to know where they are this year!!

loving this thread much better than my miserable ones something positive for a change
    love Theresa :lol:[/quote]

Hi Theresa, I plant two varities of strawberrys so they don't all come at once. Courgettes like a lot of space and water. When you plant them out dig a little well round the planting area so water will gather near the roots. Dont turn your back on them as they turn into marrows :D Sneaky. I dont give them chance as I love them :lol: Soo glad your feeling a bit brighter. ME time is a must, OK.

All the best Ix
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Now that's a water feature.

Looks like we might need those lovely guys again to put up some pretty fencing round the water feature seems how rehab's grandkids will bepopping in for spot of potato planting....

....maybe we could find a corner for the grandkids....nice safe little spot...maybe a sandit????

Shall be down at the weekend to lend a hand.

Pluggxx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    I love the smell of sweet peas in the evening comes wafting in the back door.

They are lovely.