Anyone for Gardening?

Options

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I do too Trisher,

Lucy has grown some from seed and they are starting to go up the poles now :D

I love the smell of them and cant wait for them to grow.

We take bunches to anyone who likes them so we will bring you a bunch too :D

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    mine grow through my roses and look lovely all mixed up they just grew there and keep coming back so leave them
    val
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi all
    Been in our greenhouse all day, sowing peas, beans and sweet peas. It's lovely and peaceful in here today - it's raining and I seem to be the only one around.
    Anyone got any tips for supporting tomatoes in big pots? Have tried ordinary canes and always get in a muddle.
    Tilly
  • valval
    Options
    i have placed some solar lights up the side of the path and put some in the bush
    val
  • tillytop
    Options
    valval wrote:
    i have placed some solar lights up the side of the path and put some in the bush
    Hi Val
    Not sure if your post is related to my tomato question below or if just a nice addition to the garden. Either way, the solar lights will be lovely - so long as we get some sun soon! Tilly x
  • valval
    Options
    just to make sure no one falls over if they potter for to long in the green house lol
    val
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Hi all
    Been in our greenhouse all day, sowing peas, beans and sweet peas. It's lovely and peaceful in here today - it's raining and I seem to be the only one around.
    Anyone got any tips for supporting tomatoes in big pots? Have tried ordinary canes and always get in a muddle.
    Tilly

Hi Tilly, If Your tomatoes are in the greenhouse like mine, I use soft string round the stem and supported from the frame above. Hope that makes sence. :? Ix
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    I've so enjoyed reading back on this thread :D

how uplifting it is!

I love gardening too. If there's space, a little pond with water lilies is just lovely. they just look so perfect when they flower and last for a long time too. dragonflies and damsels will be attracted to the garden if there's a pond...and hedgehogs too....but you need to make sure the sides are graduated so they can't fall in...

I have mimulus...both colours..they like wet feet so could go anywhere where there's wet ground and spread very quickly too.

One of the clematis is starting to bloom now and looks wonderful when it matures...they are happy to grow up a wall, fence, pole...anything. And russian vine is a very fast climber (mile a minute is it's other name).....handy for hiding ugly spots in the garden like an oil tank!

I'm trying to fill the garden with perennials and shrubs so that it doesn't need so much attention...but the frost and snow 'murdered' some...so need to fill the gaps.

thanks Tilly for starting this thread.

Iris x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Lovely isn't it Iris.... :D

Guess what?? I can see my radishes popping up :D

We might not like the rain and sun and more rain, but the gardens do eh??

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    Options
    wow Toni...radishes already peeping through? must be warm where you are....

I've been in the greenhouse looking at my baby plants...is there anything more satisfying than growing things from seed?

I'm going to try planting chillies this year but not sure if they can be successfully grown from seed here...

Iris x
  • fayrose
    fayrose Member Posts: 241
    Options
    Well, despite crockedness, we do keep the gardening going.

Have toms, cucs and peppers in the greenhouse. Broad beans, summer broccoli, caulis, brussels, spinach, dwarf beans and salad stuff in the garden so far, all grown from seed.

Our real favourites are runner beans,which we grow from the previous years seed and have a ritual planting on 12 May each year. Also, loads more seeds to start off in the next few days. :D

Saddos eh? .... :roll: :wink:
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hello everyone - so glad you are enjoying the gardening thread as much as I am. I love to hear what everyone else is growing - just reading it makes me want to go outside NOW and start planting despite the fact that it is freezing cold and has been pouring with rain here all day!
    You are right that growing from seed is wonderful - I enjoy watching the seeds grow (or not as the case may be!) even if they don't make it to "adulthood".
    Thanks again for the solar lights Val - will be very useful for late pottering sessions - and wine out in the garden on warm evenings (hard to imagine at the moment I know but hopefully before long...)
    Thanks for the tomato tip Ironic. I am a bit short of greenhouse space so I am planning to grow my toms in big pots outside so I am hoping to find a decorative and practical way to support them. Iris, I am hoping to get the hunky guys back next week to dig the wildlife pond you suggest - and mimulus and clematis sound lovely. Toni, your message reminded me how much I like radishes - must get some seeds this weekend and get them in. And Fayrose I was worried that I was too late planting my beans - but you obviously have great success planting on 12th May so I shall try that as well and let you know how I get on.
    Lovely talking to you all - and hope we all get to do some gardening this weekend - despite the weather :D Love Tillyx
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi Tilly!

If you're short of space for growing toms you can grow them upside down (so to speak) in deep hanging baskets!! need lots more water as they dry out more quickly but look lovely and kids think it's great!
    need to put something like pearlite on top to help retain moisture.
    Iris x

ps. also works well for strawberries with the added bonuses of easy picking and no bending! blackbirds and slugs can't get at them either. :wink::wink:
  • valval
    Options
    well all looking ready to go what a lovely sight from the patio we will have loads of fresh veg
    val
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi All

Well all our water butts are full again :D

good news I reckon as they were getting really empty. Had a bit of bother with one as my bro had jetwashed the guttering and a load of teh muck had blocked it up and the rain was flowing back.

Tilly you can get those radish in - they come up pretty quick and Iris - my bro grew toms and straws that way last year too - esay piccking and i think the pests couldnt get them :D

Hiya Val :) gotin into the cafe for a cuppa in a bit - you want one?? Might do some eggy bread too :wink:

Tilly my beans are about 3 ins tall and still in the greenhouse - my friends who came over yesterday brought me some froggy bendy garden teis - cant think why..... :roll:

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi All

Well all our water butts are full again :D

good news I reckon as they were getting really empty. Had a bit of bother with one as my bro had jetwashed the guttering and a load of teh muck had blocked it up and the rain was flowing back.

Tilly you can get those radish in - they come up pretty quick and Iris - my bro grew toms and straws that way last year too - esay piccking and i think the pests couldnt get them :D

Hiya Val :) gotin into the cafe for a cuppa in a bit - you want one?? Might do some eggy bread too :wink:

Tilly my beans are about 3 ins tall and still in the greenhouse - my friends who came over yesterday brought me some froggy bendy garden teis - cant think why..... :roll:

Love

Toni xx

tea would be lovely shall we fetch it out side shame to waste this lovely morning
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Tilly,

Got some fox gloves fr the wild section and shall go and sit on the bench with a cuppa from Val ( thanks Val) and talk to the deer, will leave your some nuts for her :wink: Good way to spend a morning eh? Cris x
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi, Ive got spring onions poking there little heads up,Radishes are doing well & now need thinning out & lettuces :D
    I must put the last of my runner beans in this week,ive not gone out there to check on them today as there at the back of the garden & i can just about make it to the kitchen ATM.

I'll thin out the radishes & lettuce & bring some in from the veg patch.
    debs
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Tilly,

I got some ildlife for the wild bit..... I like the wild bit :wink: You got rabbits and a couple of fox cubs...... sending them to you so they don't go after my chicken :lol::lol::lol: ((( ))) and I love this garden Cris the bench lurker..... xx
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    wow Toni...radishes already peeping through? must be warm where you are....

I've been in the greenhouse looking at my baby plants...is there anything more satisfying than growing things from seed?

I'm going to try planting chillies this year but not sure if they can be successfully grown from seed here...

Iris x

Hi Iris

I have tried growing chillies from seed this year, they take ages to come through. I planted mine in the kitchen at the end of jan andthey are only just about an inch high. I'm proud of that alone as they are rights so and sos along with peppers to do from seed. Good Luck

Plugg
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Well, went out into the greenhouse today in between spurts of rain and all is looking good.

My hanging toms, which i have never done before, have their first flower buds - so excited.

Cucumbers in the kitchen are doing well, I have three about a centimetre long. Question for anyone here, do the lower leaves die off as they grow or do I have a problem? They are still growing well.

Hope you are all well. They think we're crackers at work with our garden, but do you know sommat, I don't care, I love it!

Plugg :D
  • valval
    Options
    hi have potatoes in large pots have put more soil in now they are 6 to 8 inches high is that right lol
    val
  • frogmorton
    Options
    valval wrote:
    hi have potatoes in large pots have put more soil in now they are 6 to 8 inches high is that right lol

Yes Val I think you did right :D

Cris dont forget some of your Primroes(cowslips) for the wildgarden too :D

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    [
    Cris dont forget some of your Primroes(cowslips) for the wildgarden too :D
    Love

Toni xx

What about 'Ladies' Bonnet'? their pale pink frilly heads look lovely alongside bluebells.. :D

Iris x
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hello all - popped out to the garden this morning and it is looking great - thanks to all our hard work - not to mention the hunky guys! Thanks for the upside down tomato tip Dorcas. I have seen the special hangers for these advertised but I had never thought of using a deep hanging basket - think I will give that and go and will let you know how I get on! Thanks for the deer nuts Cris - went down very well BUT not sure if rabbits and foxcubs are really the kind of wildlife we want!!! Still, all welcome in the garden as long as they don't do too much damage!!! Plug, not sure about your cucumbers - miine are not as advanced as yours yet but I seem to remember the very bottom (seed) leaves going yellowy as the plant grew so maybe that's ok. Maybe someone with more cucumber experience will be along soon with advice...
    Toni, your beans sound very impressive and I love the sound of your froggy ties - you obviously have very imaginitive friends!! And radishes are definitely on my list very soon!
    Couldn't believe there was a frost here last night - so much for warmer May weather! I was almost too afraid to go out to check that my plants had survived - luckily they all did. Tillyx