Anyone for Gardening?

Options

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We'll be doing lots of this this week-end. n015.gif We have to clear loads of stuff but luckily a friend is going to help. I'll be on tea duties! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Toni,Lynn and Dreamdaisy - welcome to the garden DD.

Thanks for the bird scaring advice - will give that a go. Peas not ready to go out yet so have a bit of time to collect up some old CDs. Very interested to know Lynn how your hubby made the raised bed covers cos I need to try to fashion something asap to cover my lettuces - sparrows have discovered them are are ripping them to shreds! OH was out in the garden at crack of dawn in work clothes and tie trying to create a temporary cover out of sticks and fleece (while I shouted encouragement from the doorway)! I could have done with Cuddles the cat to chase them off! My sister in law offered to "post" her cat to me but I do like the birds and I would prefer a solution which didn't involve a bloodbath!

Toni it's nice to have such a lovely birthday present isn't it? And Lynn, If I won that much on a scratchcard I'd be spending on the garden too I think!

I too am finding these frosts an absolute pain - all the plants that were hardening off are now back in the greenhouse cos I coudln't be doing with keep bringing them in and out. I have just been covering them with fleece at night and hoping for the best . I think it’s meant to be really cold tonight so fingers crossed that all our plants survive. Like you, my potatoes are coming up now – I have them in big pots and as fast as I cover the shoots they are back out again. But you’re right, it’s really exciting to see them coming up.
    Last but not least, DD – don’t underestimate the importance of tea-making duties in the garden. I have a lovely tin with garden pictures on which says “stop for a cup of tea to avoid exhaustion”. So , there you go!
    Love Tilly x
  • tillytop
    Options
    Just popped in to check that everything survived the frost (and that Cuddles hasn't been up to any more mischief) and all looks good. Hope everyone else's tender "babies" survived!
    TillyX
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Tilly,

My wild bits looking good, the may is in full blossom and the foxgloves are starting to come up. The oak is leafing up nicely with the sun filtering through to the bench and well I am sat here with cuddles and the deer and oddly enough an old white horse and a beautiful thoroughbred..... and well its a good place to sit and dream......

Hope your doing ok? ((( ))) Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Shove over Cris....

brought you a cuppa :wink:

One each for Lynn and tilly too c060.gifc060.gifc060.gif

Isnt it gorgeous here :D

Toni xx

Ps all delicates well and accounted for thanks :)
  • tillytop
    Options
    Thanks for the tea Toni - just what I needed! Glad all your plants survived! Thanks too for the instructions Lynn - made perfect sense to me! I'm not very technical but I will show the info to OH and I know he'll understand. Not got raised bed (yet!) but this is possible a future plan and I am certainly going to need those covers - so thanks! Meantime it may be that we (OH) can modify the idea to create a cover for the pots of lettuces. Glad you're enjoying sitting in the sun with the wildlife Cris. I've had a good day - except for falling over a flowerpot and ending up head first in the border! Only my pride (and a clump of chives) was hurt though and my main worry was that anyone had seen me - specially given that there had been workmen on the roof of the house opposite with a prime view of the garden. Luckily I think they had gone in for tea at that point so I was able to dust myself off and skulk in to recover my dignity!
    My cucumbers are now so tall and first fruits appearing!!!! I think I'm going to have to resort to training them up the clothes horse in the spare room if it doesn't warm up enough to put them out before long. :lol: Tilly x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Tilly

sorry shouldnt be laughing a065.gif

but I bet the workmen were :wink:

Glad you are ok - hope the chives have recovered :D

The cucumbers are doing so well :D

Good on you.

Personally I think theses frosts will be away by next weeek and AM going to put my runner beans out. Did I tell you one of my friends got me some frog rubber twisty ties for the canes?? Brillinat eh?

Well you take care

Love

Toni xx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Ive got my honey suckle and a climatis found em at the carboot sale. They are in the garden im really pleased. :D
    I have to get some more tho still want my rose. I found a rose book today so i will have an idea what sort to get.
    I hope you all have had sun today and have been out or in your gardens enjoying it. from joanne :D
    Joanne
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Toni - I laughed too after I had picked myself up out of the soil!!! Chives are fine thanks - just a bit battered. Discovered some brilliant supports to use for cucumbers on windowsill until I can put them out. They are like upside down cones (if that makes sense) so I should be able to pot the cucs into their final positions with these new supports in place - or at least that's the theory! I hope the frosts are over very soon - they really out to be by now. Think your froggy ties sound brill. You obviously have some very clever and imaginitive friends!
    Joanne, glad you are pleased with your honeysuckle and clematis and look forward to knowing what sort of rose you choose. I don't know much about roses but I was given one as a present last year in a big pot. It needed to go iinto the garden but I was frightened of killing it cos my soil is really not very good. But I noticed the other day that it has buds on it so I am really thrilled!
    It's not so sunny today here as it was yesterday but still planning to go out for some "gardening therapy". And it it rains I shall come into "our" garden and sit in the greenhouse with a nice cuppa from the cafe - and no doubt cuddles will be around looking for somewhere nice to curl up (on the seed trays probably!) .

Have a nice day - and happy gardening! :)

Tilly x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Well the weather forecast for next week is encouraging. :?

We have put the toms into their proper pots. Bought a cucumber to replace the murdered one :D Still say it was himself who left it in the draught. :roll:

Beets look a little bit sad but everthing eles seems to have survived. :lol:

Baked a blackberry pie with some of last years frozen stock. New cooker christened. Yeah.
    Still got some gooseberrys so will be using them up next week.

Happy gardening, Lv, Ix
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Has anyone tried them new upside down tomato planters. I have seen them wondered if they were any good. :P
    hope you all get some sun this week we all need the garden theropy from joanne :D
    Joanne
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi all - you were right about weather improving. Been lovely here today and just come in from pottering in my garden - interspersed with sitting reading in the sun. Heaven :D
    Joanne, I too am interested in the idea of the upside down tom planters. Just wonder where to hang them cos I thiink the tom plant would be quite heavy. Suggested to G that we could try them on the washing line (!) but he didn't seem to think that was very sensible!!! Glad the plum tree is doing well now Lynn. As to keeping the dogs out of the pots I have no helpful ideas. My ongoing problem is sparrows and I can't find an answer to them either! Glad you have replaced the murdered cuc Ironic. Mine are now starting to fruit on the windowsill so I really hope I can get them out very soon! Glad most of your other things have survived and I must say I am very impressed that you have frozen fruit to use up from last year. Something for me to aspire to I think (except I would need to buy a freezer first.....) Hope the good weather continues for that gardening therapy! Love Tilly x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    am sat in pjs with large mug of tea. looking over our garden it looking great gang will sit on this bench and enjoy the early morning so quiet lovely can hear the birds singing there songs for me so kind of them. val
    val
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Val, hope you enjoyed your peaceful morning cuppa in our garden! I think that's the best time of day in the garden and I am often to be found out in my garden in my pjs too! Tilly x
  • valval
    Options
    always popping out to put washing on line while still in them lol was lovely day even got some of grass cut out back son did it for me till got to warm for him bless
    val
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed Val seems to be doing a lot of this

'going outside in her pyjamas' business of late???

Is she a closet exhibitionist???

Love

Toni xx
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    HI all my oregano is growing well as is my lavender all from seed it seems throwing the seeds in a pot of soil, water and sit it on a window ledge above a radiator does it. It is now 4 inch tall and smells amazing. 8) :lol: just need the sun to keep shining.

Enjoy the garden

Theresa :D
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi thersa

Hold on.....

sniff sniff.....

you are right smells very tasty :D

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    Options
    well i shower and get ready for work so do all those sweaty jobs before lol and can not always be bothered to get dressed then change again to go to work. they got snoopy on and love hearts and our pink lol
    val
  • ironic
    Options
    The hanging baskets are going up this weekend, need to get more room in the greenhouse for the toms, cucumber etc.

Planted out some snaps and dahlias. First time for Hollyhocks. Fingers crossed put the runner beans in. :?

Sat outside for the first time this year to have my tea. Oh it was sooo good. :lol:
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hey Toni - have you never tried gardening in your nightie? You don't know what you're missing! Like Val I often seem to find myself in the garden, mug of tea in hand early in the morning. Just go out for a little look I think to myself and before you know it I'm weeding, deadheading and having a whale of a time. Sometimes I too forget that I haven't got washed and dressed because I'm so engrossed! you should try it sometime! I'm seriously impressed with your herb growing Theresa! Have seen lavender seeds to buy but never tried it. I love lavender but it never seems very long lived so I am always replacing plants which can get quite expensive - or waiting for cuttings to grow to a decent size - so I might try some seed next time too. Good luck with your hollyhocks Ironic. I love them but, I fear, so would the mega-army of slugs in my garden. Love to know how you get on with them. Like you, hoping the frost is over, cos I have left my "babies" uncovered tonight for the first time. And you're right it's absolute heaven sitting out in the garden :D Love Tilly x
  • valval
    Options
    lavender tree/bush is smelling lovely every time i go up garden to put washing on line does not last long but lovely while here
    val
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    valval wrote:
    well i shower and get ready for work so do all those sweaty jobs before lol and can not always be bothered to get dressed then change again to go to work. they got snoopy on and love hearts and our pink lol

Very sexy Val :shock:
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Is it cos you have flower beds?????? :D

Val

Why don't you take the lavendar indoors put it in the airing cupboard smell lasts for ages.
  • ironic
    Options
    Hi Trisher,

I dried some of the seeds after a late dry summer. They smelled lovely. Passed some round to friends and neighbours. Got brownie points that year. :)

Hi Tilly, The birds and my hubby go slug and snail hunting at 6 o'clock in the morning. Hubby must get a life :?
    He cut down some bushes last weekend. The branches were full of snails!!! yuk. Find them under stones etc. Did not know they nested in trees :roll: