Anyone for Gardening?

Options

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    my tomatoe seeds sprouting :D:D:D potatoe doing well lettus great peas need planting out will have to get to it before go away lol
    val
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Just had our first rubbard out of the garden :D Planted Cabbage as they usually survive a cold snap. Beets ready to go in and cauli. dare not chance the courgettes yet. Lost my cucumber to the icy blast though. :roll:
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    All sounds good in your garden Val! Hope you have a nice holiday (and that you got your peas out before you went)!
    Sorry you lost your cucumber Ironic. Mine were in the (unheated) greenhouse looking very sorry for themselves. Thought I'd lost them but brought them inside to warm their little toes and they have perked up again. Leaving them inside for now as it's still cold. Not sure the weather's going to be much better at the weekend, but hoping to get out in the garden for a bit - even if it's only seed planting in the greenhouse. Tillyx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Hi all and thanks tilly for starting the thread and welcome to the forum.
    first question this evening on tillys gardening question time.
    1 Have you any ideas for plants we could grow up trelis in our garden.? They must be fragranced, colourful and something chickens dont like to eat.
    thanks from joanne :D
    Joanne
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Joanne

Roses grow up the trellis they are nice, make sure you get sented ones.

Sweetpeas are about the best, the colours are beautiful and the scent from them is so nice. They grow quickly too. We stagger the growth of ours so that you have always got that lovely smell in the evening.

As Lynn has said Honeysuckle is another one. There is another one but I cannot think of the name.

Trish xx
  • suncatcher
    Options
    Thanks collywobble and trisha for your advice I had thought roses forgot honeysuckle we got that in front garden. I might get both thankyou.
    will be useing this question time again im inpressed with the quick advice service thankyou :D:D:D from joanne
    Joanne
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Tilly,

Hope your ok?

Went to Truro today on the bottom road and the trees are all in blossom as are the rodies..... so stopped and put some in the car.... we now have cherry blossoming, rodies of different shades and a few birch and beach... and.... I saw an old oak in a field and well it looked so much like our one :wink:

Toni said about wild primroses so putting a few in, oh and some fox gloves, and sorry the sides are becoming a Cornish hedge :lol::lol::lol: Might have some gorse before I am through. Cris xx

You know if the may is still out like it is here ( the whole of my top field is white with its blossom) when the next foal arrives I will call it Blossom or May if its a girl.......... Clover even.... well it will be heavy :lol::lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Hi Joanne

As Lynn has said Honeysuckle is another one. There is another one but I cannot think of the name.

Trish xx

Trisher - is it Jasmine you are thinking of? LOVELY scent Jasmine in the rain and in the evening....

Joanne good to see you :D Hope you are doing ok

Love the cornish borders Cris :wink:

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Joanne - and welcome to the garden! Sweet peas would have been my first thought too but, as Lynn says, not sure if chicken proof - is anythiing?!!! If you grow lots of sweet peas tho' you can always replace the ones the chickens eat!!! But roses and honeysuckle and or Jasmine would be lovely too.
    Cris, love the cornish hedgerow and the idea of a bit of cornwall in our garden, so thanks for that! And I think Blossom, May or Clover are lovely foal names.
    Happy gardening. Tillyx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Morning Tilly

going into the greenhouse later to pot those tomatoes :shock:

have we got a greenhouse? maybe we have a row of them on the sun?? :D

I agree with the names...think it depends whether it pops out male or female :D

Love

toni xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Been busy meself, I now have spring onions radish broad beans runners lettuce chillies (Caribbean red hot and the killer chilli Dorset Naga) my tomato seeds I took from a variety we got from Waitrose, we also have potatoes ready to go in two large bins, right that’s most of it I think, all are growing well and any spare beans will be blanched and frozen, and the spare tomato’s will as last year be made into Italian style pasta sauce which will also contain some of my chilli’s and home grown garlic.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Wow Mell!!

You lot are virtually self sufficient :!:

I got most of that - no broad beans/chilli though...but my potatoes ARE in and the swede seeds went in about half an hour ago in poouring rain :wink:

I loved every minute of it - and getting soaked with my very keen happy-helper Lucy (12) :D

Love

Toni xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Toni yeah need to grow more but to keep more, my wife loves gardening but I say she grows and throws!, so I couldn't let it carry on so I have taken the helm this year, I also put in some French beans and some more tomato seeds from Waitrose in pots today, I have also got some baby sweetcorn sprouting, I like you love it it's relaxing and I still marvel at seeds growing even at my ripe old age.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    suncatcher wrote:
    1 Have you any ideas for plants we could grow up trelis in our garden.? They must be fragranced, colourful and something chickens dont like to eat.

I wonder if clematis could work. They like to have their feet in the shade, so I cover the lower part with stones. Passion flowers can cover a trelis and the lower stems become woody. Might have to check if fruits are poisonus to hens though. Like honey suckle smell gorgeous and tough as old boots. :D
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Im loving this thread too.
    I have honeysuckle growing up a trellis & planted sweetpeas last week. I brought an everlasting mix of sweetpea & it says it comes back year after year but doesnt flower til its second year.
    I have lobelia in seed trays & have planted aslysum seeds along the rock border we have at the back of the garden.
    we cant do much as the dog digs it all up & has broke a few of my scrubs & wont keep off the mud :x :roll:
    debs
  • suncatcher
    Options
    Hi tilly top and everyone who visits tillytops garden question time.
    I have boaught some swet pea seeds and a heated propergater to grow own.
    I am planning getting roses and honey suckle next week and will now include jasmine also . thanks for the recommendantions. I am busy putting down chipped bark this week end and hope to start off my seeds today.
    There is so much to do, i do little at a time. Being out there in my garden is really helping me. I carnt belive how much. Its really dispersing my dark clouds
    I will be useing this thread a lot now thanks joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Debs

Hi Joanne

Debs - your garden is well on the was for a floral summer :D

Joanne

I LOVE my garden i really do - it makes me happy being out there even if I dont always do much....
    yesterday I enjoyed it so much I was out in the rain :roll:

Just make sure you dont fall asleep in the mud :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi Toni, yes its coming on nicely but i have mostly flowering shrubs out there & there growing like mad. so is the lawn :roll: weve got loads of dandilions if that counts as colour :wink::lol: Have to try & put some spot on weed killer tomorrow to get rid of them.
    Also have to put some more radishes in as mine will be ready in a few weeks.
    Happy gardening.
    debs
  • suncatcher
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Debs

Hi Joanne

Debs - your garden is well on the was for a floral summer :D

Joanne

I LOVE my garden i really do - it makes me happy being out there even if I dont always do much....
    yesterday I enjoyed it so much I was out in the rain :roll:

Just make sure you dont fall asleep in the mud :wink:

Now a mud pack works wonders for the complexion. maybe i could sell the stuff interested :wink::lol:
    Love joanne
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    Options
    ironic wrote:
    suncatcher wrote:

I wonder if clematis could work. They like to have their feet in the shade, so I cover the lower part with stones. Passion flowers can cover a trelis and the lower stems become woody. Might have to check if fruits are poisonus to hens though. Like honey suckle smell gorgeous and tough as old boots. :D

I have a lovely clamatis in my garden all ready they are beautiful i know thanks.
    Joanne
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Oh, I keep reading this thread and I can't wait to join you all!

We need some paving slabs laid first and a (very) small patio, hopefully that will be done the week after we move in. I have a rather nasty fence that needs some cover........after reading this I can't make up my mind whether to go for the passion flowers, the jasmine or the honeysuckle.......one of each, perhaps? And make the jasmine a winter-flowering one?

Annie
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi all - just reading back to try to catch up and so pleased to have found other people who love their gardens as much as I do. I too can often be found gardening in the pouring rain and on many occasions my husband has poked his head out of the bedroom window at about 10 pm on a summer's evening (when it's too dark to see) to ask if I am ever coming in!!!!!

To answer Toni's earlier question - yes we do have greenhouses in "our" garden and, as you say a whole row of them in the sun! My own greenhouse is lovely - we rescued it from our neighbour who was throwing it out (!) and my husband lovingly restored it for me as a 40th birthday present. It's octaganal in shape and painted a lovely shade of pale green and I am very proud of it!

Annie - if you do plant a winter jasmine, you could always plant a summer flowering clematis through it as well - two for the price of one! Just a thought.

Can anyone give me some advice about peas please? Growing them for the first time this year in a big container and want to know how to protect them from the birds. Don't want to use netting cos I don't want the birds to get trapped so any advice welcome. Thanks! Tilly x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Just
    Popped in to see if Cuddles (the cafe cat) k040.gif

is still here.....she was using one of the freshly tilled beds as a toilet earlier...

Can you put something to scare the birds off tilly a row of string with some dangly things on it which will blow about?? Like a mini scarecrow??

My greenhouse was a birthday prezzie form my husband too :D I think my best present EVER :D

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Ah Lynn

That was a really good way to spend her winnings :)

My potaotes are up too :D soon be big enough to mound up some soil - they are in those potato grow bags - never used them before :D

SO exiting isnt it?

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Lynn

we have been getting frost yes so my plants have been in and out of the greenhouse - getting used to outside, but back in at night and anything that's already out is having a fleece on at night :wink:

Got to look after the babies eh? :wink:

Yes please I LOVE strawberries :D