Anyone for Gardening?

Options

Comments

• newbygran
    newbygran Member Posts: 96
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have just checked my orchid, in the little bedroom, it has thrown out a long stem, ( bloom's? ) I left it by the window before Xmas and forgot about it, it has plenty of arial roots outside the pot and must have got it's moisture from the room, I have had it since November, now it's back in the lounge for all to watch and check it's flowering progress, My allotment is on hold at present, It's all prepared cloches warming up the ground, greenhouse sparkles, pot's aready, just me and O H with coughs and colds to get rid of, Oh and a pesky long winter, spring must be here soon Please please !! :cry:
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Thanks for that link, I've passed it on to those in authority! The roots on the surface are just that. They don't seem to mind intense heat during the day as long as its natural and not all the time, I wouldn't give much for their chances in the lounge. We have tried elsewhere without any success.

My spinach is still going from last year, getting a bit ropy now so I'll replant me thinks, its still going because the deer haven't helped themselves lately, I wonder why?

Not sure what we will plant this year, no doubt I will be kept informed!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    East facing? Hmmm, I've got north or south. Usually they are on the south facing windowsills or, if the sun is strong, I move them down on to the unit to shelter them a bit. Only ever had one flower again once.
    Very windy here today and freezing. Can't wait till it's a little warmer so I can get the garden tidied up. Was supposed to sow some seeds today but still haven't got round to it.
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    Options
    A south facing window might be a bit too warm? Our east facing window is usually getting shade by lunchtime in the summer, the room isn't heated either.

I wonder if you could leave it outside in the summer in a shady place or shaded by other plants? Most of the ones we know that grow in the wild are in poor soil areas that drain well and don't get disturbed. I have to go round on my hands and knees taking macro pictures for oh.
  • applerose
    Options
    Possibly. I could put the pots under some of the bushes. Plenty of shade on one side of the garden. I'd have to remember to bring them in at night as we get some really bad winds across our gardens sometimes but think I might try that.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,592
    Options
    Bumping up for Coco :D

Toni xxx

I am with Charlee re the kneeler mine has handles to hoik myself back up from 'stuck' :lol: Turn it over its a chair.

I grow spuds (easily) in spud bags and tomatoes and cucumbers in growbags.

Oh Coco I LOVE gardening. My broad beans and runner beans are indoors growing well so far. and yes I grow carrots too and spring onions. It's fantastic to see your shoots peeping out from the soil :D

Just grow what you like :D

Like Charleeh my strawbs have always failed despite serios nurturing :(

love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    I've got tomatoes which look ok but my cucumbers have died off already. Peas are doing well, courgettes are fine. My strawberries have been growing for a few years now throwing off runners at the end of the season so I've got plenty. Can't wait to get outside. Lots of tidying to do.
    Christine
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    Thank you frogmorton

you all seem to have started already is it to late for me to start now, i tried tomatto's last your but i bought the plants already established. that is all ive ever tried to grow.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Definitely not too late Coco :)

You can easily still plant seeds if you want or even as you said buy the little plants. Go for it you will love it.

My theory is; plant what you like to eat and over the years I have reduced it to things that a) We eat and b) grow ok in my garden ;)

applerose Are you going to add some more cucumbers?? I love cucumber - could eat it all day :)

Slugs ate my courgettes and any other stuff like every year i tried :(

I expect your peas are like my beans. Do you cover them if we have a frost?

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm on a couple of freebie sites and they have been giving links to where you can get free seeds, one was for free tomato seeds and one was for wild flower seeds (which I sent for.) here are the freebie sites addresses if anyone would be interested :- www.offeroasis.co.uk , www.freestuffworld.co.uk
  • bubbadog
    Options
    My OH & I are starting to think about what plants to go for now the block paving is finished, we have a border around the block paving, we already have some hebbies in their but not sure what else would grow well there. He has also ordered some cornish palms to go in pots on the paving as we have 3 in our back garden and they have grown and make a feature around the table and chairs.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Sounds as though it will be lovely Amanda :)

Low-down plants are you thinking - with colour?? Like phlox maybe??? Hey thanks for the link to that site.

I have been in the garden this afternoon for an hour. It was lovely :D

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    Wasn't it a lovely day (at least I hope it was where you were). I spend quite a while in the garden and got about a quarter tidied and weeded. There are some things growing which I thought would be killed off. My blackbird came for tea. He had mealworms and a couple of grapes.
    Toni, I don't know what to do about the cucumbers. I have been told they are quite easy to grow but I lost all of them last year and the plugs I bought a couple of weeks ago have died too.
    Thanks for those links Bubbadog. I'd love some wild flowers growing in my garden.
    Christine
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Can I Ask all you garden experts a question regarding a tree in our back garden which had grown huge and was dangerously near to the conservatory.
    My hubby asked a mate if he could trim it down so he came along, shinned right up the tree and began to cut, and cut and quite honestly got carried away I think, as all we are left with is a totem pole like structure with some arms sticking out. No little fine branches left at all. I nearly had a fit when I saw it.
    So do you reckon we have we said goodbye to our tree for ever? Can't imagine being able to dig it out and replace it as the roots will be massive. Any thoughts please as neither of us know much about plants and trees, even after having various gardens in 47yrs of married life.
    Think I am wanting someone to tell me "all is not lost Kath".
    :roll: :roll:

Typing on my kindle at almost 2 a.m.
    Not sleeping so well at moment due to knee discomfort and other achy places.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    What sort of tree is it? Is it a large tree like an Oak or more of a smaller tree? It doesn't sound good that it was butchered! Your husbands mate sounds like he murdered it!! You would have been better off with a tree surgeon as they know what to do. But if it a big old tree the roots may be very big and could go under your conservatory! So if it is dead and you want it removed you could have problems doing that. What I forgot to ask was is the tree on your land? or is it behind your fence? Because if it is that it's over your boundary that could open up a big can of worms!
  • kathbee
    Options
    Thanks Bubba
    Oh no, its def on our land but the garden is smallish and it was so overpowering and I would say, big like an oak but not sure what type of tree due to my limited expertise. I think butchered is the word I was looking for :(

Think it will have to stay as is, we could always paint American Indian symbols on it I guess. :wink:

Kath
  • applerose
    Options
    I know of a really huge willow tree which was cut back quite harshly and it grew back just as huge as it had been. I think it depends on the tree. If the roots are still there, perhaps it will grow back. I have a big fir tree which I have cut in half. I have ivy growing up the trunk to make up for the lack of branches and greenery.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    OH Dear Kath

Given that you dont know what kind of tree it is it's difficult to know whetter it will survive :? Some really do benefit form being hacked back, but others don't.

In your shoes l would give it the season to see what happens....It might recover and surprise you. If not as Christine said you can chop it as low as poss and put some of stump killer on it before decorating it with whatever you like. Chrsitine has used ivy on hers but clemetis can work too.

Good luck

Love

Toni xxx
  • kathbee
    Options
    Christine and Toni

Thanks for replying, really good of you to take the time.

Feel a bit embarassed that I dont even know the kind of tree it is . doh!!!!
    But some good ideas you have there, yes, probably leave it until next summer and see what happens to it, then either chop it down and put a table top on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    or grow something up it, think the latter might be best. :)
    Kath x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I like the idea of a table on top Kath :wink:

I hope it surprises you sprouting lots of luscious leaves soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    A table top sounds good. I didn't deliberately put ivy there. It just appeared. I've been trying to get rid of it but it just won't go. I'd rather have something colourful like clematis. Might plant one this summer. My daffodils are looking good. All 2 of them. Wonder where the rest have got to.
    Christine
  • kathbee
    Options
    Toni, I am smiling thinking of cutting leaves from the table top, or may have to lightly sand them away every week or two. :wink:

Christine
    Would one clematis be enough to grow round and up the tree do you reckon and how much growth would you say in one to two years?
    Thanks Kath
  • frogmorton
    Options
    applerose wrote:
    A table top sounds good. I didn't deliberately put ivy there. It just appeared. I've been trying to get rid of it but it just won't go. I'd rather have something colourful like clematis. Might plant one this summer. My daffodils are looking good. All 2 of them. Wonder where the rest have got to.

I only got two too!!!!

Kath - that is a funny picture made me giggle too :lol:

love

Toni xx

PS it's so windy out there!
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,257
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Oh Coco I LOVE gardening. My broad beans and runner beans are indoors growing well so far. and yes I grow carrots too and spring onions. It's fantastic to see your shoots peeping out from the soil :D

You & others may regret bumping when I start pestering for advice. :wink:

As I'm now feeling less grim than the last few years, I'm trying to get back into a modest bit of veg & salady-bit growing. Have never done much gardening & I tend to think small (being a pessimist doesn't help lol, I always expect things to not grow) - so I'm trying increase to something a bit larger scale than a couple of pots of parsley..

So what I'm currently in various stages of growing (some indoors, some out) is/are:

Parsley
    Chives
    Rocket
    Salad leaves - salad bowl & oakleaf lettuce
    Hailstone radish
    Peas
    'Reddy' spring onions
    and depending on time & patience, either American Land cress or watercress.

I've just ordered a mini 3 tier greenhouse which I'm rather excited about. :D

I'll just say in advance that I know you can google every possible aspect of gardening but I get v. boggled quickly doing that & reading articles, especially when I come across conflicting advice, so it would be nice to pop in here occasionally with a direct question.

A couple of questions for anyone passing:

Having trouble germinating chives indoors this year though I've done ok with them before, so I don't know if they will still appear or to give up & start over. Does anyone go in for soaking in hot water, or other methods that work for you?

Lettuce-wise, I'm planning to grow small scale on windowsill to save faffing with greenfly (they just laughed at my companion-planted nasturtiums last year :cry: ) & I'm wondering how small a container you can get away with? Because you can buy those really quite small 'live' lettuce/salad trays in the supermarket; is that because of some special bulk-growers method or would I be able to plant similar sized little trayfuls?

Thanks if anyone can help. :)
  • frogmorton
    Options
    :lol:

Oh Toady!!

The greenfly laughed at my companion marigolds too...or was it in fact the sly slugs????

I think you definitely can grow your salad leaves in trays the size you have in mind so long as you use a decent quality compost.

AS for your chives.....mine are outside and just come back year after year (great aren't they for cooking :D ) if you lived near enough l could give you a clump :)

I have a feeling they need to be started off in a dark place (warmish) in not too wet compost. If it's over 3 weeks I would start again if l were you :(

Please please join in - we love chatting about our gardens

Love

Toni xx