Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,592
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joanne

I am not happy tp hear arthur is trying to visit you at the moment :x

You'll have top bash him over the head witha spade :wink:

I hope you do get some veg together for the show :) It iS a bit late isnt it?

I have been trying to clear up as much as I can - have you? Between showers :?

Love

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Morning all

Not been in garden for a while - but all looking lovely still.

Does anyone have any tips for winter lettuce growing? I really miss my salad in the winter and the shop bought lettuce is ok, but not the same as home-grown. My greenhouse doesn't get much sun in the winter and the garden is north facing so very cold but I thought I could perhaps try growing so leaves inside on a sunny windowsill. Has anyone else tried this with any level of success?

Any tips gratefully received.

Love Tilly xxx
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi, I cleared all my runner beans yesterday, ive had about 6 to 7lb a week off them & have blanched a load & have them ready in the freezer.
    Canes are away & i even managed to tidy up one of the sheds.
    Trying to convince OH that i need a greenhouse,nearly there :D

Toni, Garden vacs arent too expensive in A...s but try ebay for a cheapy,weve got the B&D one only prob is the bag blows off :shock: EXCUSSSEEE!!! Not sure if the others do that but i've had this one a few years. Its brill apart from that.
    Shall i send OH with vac, He did all ours & next doors leaves yesterday. I did volunteer him :wink:
    Happy gardening. debs
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Debs

I'm well impressed with your runner bean harvest! Mine never made it to bean time - they were absolutely decimated by blackfly. I was very disappointed.

Re the greenhouse - keep working on OH! Mine was a 40th birthday present - made by my OH (he is very clever) and I wouldn't be without it for anything!

I've never tried a garden vac - I think I would be positively dangerous with one of those!!!

Tillyxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Yep Debs

I shall expect G later this afternooon - yo wont beleive I bought one of e*ay and broke it in the first hour :oops:

And Tilly - you CAN grow winter lettuce I knwo because i was thinking of giving it a go...

As for the runner beans abd Minky - it's the only thing she and i fall out over!! I grew dwarf and had a moderate harvest - hers was brilliant :roll: hmmmph!

And as for wind in tha garden...well I'm saying nothing :oops: wasnt me :wink:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I want to eat my leeks too - but we must wait....

everything comes to those who wait.

Rehab lettuces for winter how and which??

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Bumped up for suncatcher. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    Options
    Thanks Rehab for the lettuce tips! UR very knowledgeable!

Thanks too DD for bumping the thread up for Suncatcher.

Well, it has been a GORGEOUS day here today and I have felt like pottering in the garden for the first time in ages. OH emptied the summer pots of bizzy lizzies a few weeks ago - they were beautiful but had really gone over, so today I replanted the pots with some really pretty violas. Really pleased to have been able to do that.

It was lovely outside and the birdies were singing away. Hard to believe it's October.

Right, time for a cuppa - might even still be nice enough to sit outside...

Tilly xxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    We've had a couple of really good days here, too. I have been planting bulbs like mad and generally tidying up all round.

I've put heathers and violas in my hanging baskets, too. Still got one more to do hopefully this weekend.

Ours is a very wet, claggy garden. Trying to get some kind of a mentionable 'lawn' under way I think I am going to rake it like mad once it's dried off a bit and then see how it looks in the spring.

Annie
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Thanks Rehab for the lettuce tips! UR very knowledgeable!

Thanks too DD for bumping the thread up for Suncatcher.

Well, it has been a GORGEOUS day here today and I have felt like pottering in the garden for the first time in ages. OH emptied the summer pots of bizzy lizzies a few weeks ago - they were beautiful but had really gone over, so today I replanted the pots with some really pretty violas. Really pleased to have been able to do that.

It was lovely outside and the birdies were singing away. Hard to believe it's October.

Right, time for a cuppa - might even still be nice enough to sit outside...

Tilly xxx

Thanks for bumping it up again. Good to hear you are still gardening.x joanne
    Joanne
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Joanne, Rehab, Cham and Annie

Anyone ever tried any "Guerrilla Gardening?" (ie cultivating a neglected plot of land that doesn't belong to you). I read a book about it recently, where people were sneaking out at night to plant wildflower seeds on waste-land and cultivating roundabouts. I thinks it's a great idea to pretty up some othewise neglected places.

My Mum and Dad did a bit of guerilla gardening recently (mind you they did speak to the council first to try to find out who owned the land). It is a small plot alongside a well-used footpath which had just been used as a dumping ground for rubbish. So they cleared the rubbish, dug it over and planted cuttings and spare plants from their garden. It looks really lovely and, so far, no-one has vandalised it or dumped any more rubbish.

Just shows that, when someone starts taking care of somewhere, people do treat it with respect.

Right, off to sit in the garden in the SUN!!!!!

Love Tilly xxx
  • suncatcher
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Hi Joanne, Rehab, Cham and Annie

Anyone ever tried any "Guerrilla Gardening?" (ie cultivating a neglected plot of land that doesn't belong to you). I read a book about it recently, where people were sneaking out at night to plant wildflower seeds on waste-land and cultivating roundabouts. I thinks it's a great idea to pretty up some othewise neglected places.

My Mum and Dad did a bit of guerilla gardening recently (mind you they did speak to the council first to try to find out who owned the land). It is a small plot alongside a well-used footpath which had just been used as a dumping ground for rubbish. So they cleared the rubbish, dug it over and planted cuttings and spare plants from their garden. It looks really lovely and, so far, no-one has vandalised it or dumped any more rubbish.

Just shows that, when someone starts taking care of somewhere, people do treat it with respect.

Right, off to sit in the garden in the SUN!!!!!

Love Tilly xxx

This reminds me of a course ive been told about and going on the health and well being course. This course has randam acts of kindness in it. I am looking forward to trying it. The neglected spot your parents did up could be called a ranom act of kindness which many i hope will appreciate. Imagine if everyone one did ranam acts of kindness how much better the world would be. :D
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    Options
    I have grown winter pansy from seed. They are getting loads of leaves looking forward to them blooming.
    I have not been in garden today. the weather was great. The house needed doing. I just hope we get more sunny days so i can get out there.
    Joanne
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Joanne

I love the term "random acts of kindness" and I think that's a lovely description. Your course sounds really interesting.

I'm well impressed with your winter pansy growing from seed. I have to say that all ours were bought this year and, although they are lovely, the satisfaction isn't the same as growing them yourself is it?

Shame when house has to take priority of garden :cry: But hope the weather is a lovely with you today as it is here.

Love Tilly xxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I found it for you Newbygran :D

love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Snowdrops starting to fade but crocuses are out. Daffodils are in full leaf as are tulips. Aaah, spring is almost here. Can't wait to get back out in to the garden.
    Christine
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    We have snowdrops and daffs and a few tulips too. Looking forward to some warmer days.

I also got another orchid for my birthday. It says lasts for 2 months but I;m sure they last longer than that. Unfortunately the only safe place to put it is on the window ledge but told they don't like drafts.

Any advice?

Elizabeth :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Elizabeth me and my friend Wndy have both managed to get our orchids to flower again :D

Bathrooms are good damp and mist.

We use rainwater wateirng them and after an hour we empty any standing water out.

Will be re-potting ours soon.... :? watch this space :shock:

love

toni xxx

Ps applerose crocus definitely here :D
  • tkachev
    Options
    Great info Toni. Thank you. At the moment it is very pretty and would like to keep it flowering as long as possible.

I worry about putting it in my shower room because my Son would be sure to destroy it but it would otherwise be the ideal place.

Elizabeth :D

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    Options
    tkchev,

oh was looking at an orchid I brought her about two years ago, 'its plastic!' she blurted out. She has watered it religiously, kept it with the others where they last for years and loved it. I brought it at the local garden centre and had not been able to tell the difference! :roll:
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I bought some plant plugs today - bell peppers, chilli peppers, cherry and plum tomatoes. I'm going to keep them in my porch for now but my tomatoes did well outside last year. My chillies did well in the greenhouse but my bell peppers didn't come to anything. Problem is, my plastic greenhouse got ripped in the winds last year so I can't use it again. Bit reluctant to buy another one in case it happens again.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Ah yes applerose my youngest had one or two of tjose and they do get trashed easily. You can buy cheapish perspex ones??

So far my broad beans are about 18ins tall, tomato seeds peeping and geranuims doing well.. Cucumbers not yet appeared though :?

love

Toni xx

Ps naughty airwave :lol:
  • tkachev
    Options
    I'd be happy with an artificial one if it looked that realistic Airwave! Especially as the OH is allergic to perfumed flowers. He says that is why he can't wash up because of all the flowers on the window sill! :roll:

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Toni,
    Our east facing kitchen window seems to be perfect for orchids, we don't have any heat in it, the window is (sheltered) about ten feet long and it does get cold in winter and hot in the summer. We do water the orchids, a small amount about once every week or two(i.e. when I remember), they remain flowering, some we have had on the go for 3-4 years with more buds appearing. Once tired out they do die off.

My mother has started doing the same in her east facing kitchen window with the same success. These are all brought from local suppliers, nothing special. We have tried all the propriety brands of 'food' with no difference.

p.s. the artificial one was a BIG fauxpas and very realistic!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    East facing you say?? East facing did you hear that Elizabeth??

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/greenhouse/how-to-grow-orchids/226.html

I have used these instructions Airwave which are very similar to yours. I water mine with rainwater and poor way excess after an hour or so.

I rather think that Elizabeth's OH is pulling a fast one there with the washing up :wink:

Love

Toni xx