Bit of support for Iris ( Dorcas)

Options

Comments

• shazzie39
    shazzie39 Member Posts: 38
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    [Hi Iris
    Hoping your wrists improve and you come back soon. Sending you hugs and a big :D .

Cheers
    Shazzie
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hello Iris,

Sorry to read about your painful wrists preventing you from typing.Big hugs to you and hope the surgery improves them ((((( )))))).

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hi Iris.
    sorry to read you have painfull wrists.
    i will send you some ((((((((((iris)))))))))) i hope you feel better soon.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi everyone :D

Thank you Cris for the thread....how wonderful of you all thinking about me and sending these lovely messages....I'm really, really so grateful..thanks. :wink:

My hands have been / are murderous and it had been too painful to do much typing.....so am in much need of the wrist replacement.

I had voice activated software at work but not sure if it's compatible with AC...but will find out; might be a bit too costly though!. meanwhile will be thinking of taking up Jan's suggestion and try typing with my toes instead! (nice one pixy)

I went off to the Western Isles for a few days where I used to live/ work to recharge my batteries and to divert my thoughts away from the op next Monday. It was just so peaceful and lovely there and as I was staying with friends I was well looked after! (probably put on 7lbs too :oops:) gave my hands a rest too...which has helped!

I'm off to hospital this morn for some more pre-op tests and seeing rheummy too....praying I can start on the infliximab asap after the op to stop arther in his tracks (hope) as neck and knees are now also giving me gip.

I haven't forgotten my duties as the forum guinea pig (thanks Legs!) and promise to be a good little rodent? and let you all know how it all goes. e050.gif

Iris x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Hey the biggest Job as forum guinea pig you have is to get better quick! :wink:

Glad you enjoyed your self and really hope the tests went well today. You look after yourself and leaving you a ton of auto filling buckets of ((((( ))))) and hopes...... and....... couple of carrots and apples..... with chopped dandelion :lol::lol:

Wishing you so much luck. Love Cris xxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    ................I haven't forgotten my duties as the forum guinea pig (thanks Legs!) and promise to be a good little rodent? and let you all know how it all goes. e050.gif

Iris x

You're welcome Iris, our little guinea pig :wink:

Thanks for letting us know what's happening even though you're suffering doing so. :|

Please don't type before you're ready .....just know we'll be patient whilst you're on the mend.

Good luck for next Monday

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Good luck for your op. Glad you managed to get away for a few days.

Getting the p065.gif ready for the escape committee.

Lv, Ix
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Ah

It is good to see you Iris :D

All set then? all tests done and did you pass with flying colours??

Try the voice speak Iris - it might just work - and that would help no end eh?

You take care

Love

Toni xx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Hope it all went well.

With Legs here don't hurt your self posting but know we are in that bus and we will be with you. Another ((((( ))))) and so much hope. Love Cris xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Iris,
    My hands have been / are murderous and it had been too painful to do much typing.....so am in much need of the wrist replacement.
    Why do the medics and ourselves wait until we are so desperate with pain and lack of mobility that we would even accept amputation if it was offered??!!
    I had voice activated software at work but not sure if it's compatible with AC...but will find out; might be a bit too costly though!. meanwhile will be thinking of taking up Jan's suggestion and try typing with my toes instead! (nice one pixy)
    Even if it wasn't compatible - you could use it in Word (or similiar) and then cut and paste onto the forum. Do you have switch alternatives to using the mouse? You might be able to get the adaption things you need free!! S has his VOCA (electronic talking advice) provided, funded and maintained by ACT (Access to communication technology) - a branch of one of our local hospital rehab centres ... other depts provide all manor of assitive technology - fascinating place - would love to work for them ... I digress!!
    I went off to the Western Isles for a few days where I used to live/ work to recharge my batteries and to divert my thoughts away from the op next Monday. It was just so peaceful and lovely there and as I was staying with friends I was well looked after! (probably put on 7lbs too ) gave my hands a rest too...which has helped!
    Good for you. I lost between half a stone and a stone in hospital (and not because I wasn't eating) so I wouldn't worry.
    I'm off to hospital this morn for some more pre-op tests and seeing rheummy too....praying I can start on the infliximab asap after the op to stop arther in his tracks (hope) as neck and knees are now also giving me gip.
    Interesting that clinics are working on a Bank holiday, those deadlines have their uses! You really do need your op now don't you, not long to wait.
    I haven't forgotten my duties as the forum guinea pig (thanks Legs!) and promise to be a good little rodent? and let you all know how it all goes.
    I'm looking forward to your updates. Take care,

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Can't answer all individually as I would like but thank you thank you for the great suggestions and support!
    ( glad to hear the bus is organised and motor running)

At hospital yesterday at pre op ward and rheummy day ward. (there were no clinics as it was a holiday here for most too. x)
    Had bloods done again, more xray(s) and swabs and fiddly wrist and hand measurements. I'm hoping all will be OK and the op will go ahead....liver function tests AST/ALT were a bit ropey a month ago so fingers crossed they are now acceptable....

I am not able to start on the new anti tnf meds until rheummy knows I have completely healed from the op....that means a wait of 10-12 weeks minimum post op! :( I had asked about getting another shot of kenalog IM to dampen things down a bit meantime, but was told I can't have that either pre op as it would prevent them operating; and post op it would interfere with the healing process. So, I'm a bit stuck with screaming arther and his pal spiky pain until heaven knows when....

never mind though...I'm still feeling very positive and happy. I know I am lucky to be getting this op and have a really good bunch of hospital peeps looking after me...........what's-more I'll have swish new wrist to show off soon ! :D

I do find I'm having to restrict my typing and that is just so hard as I so want to blether with everyone on the forum. :roll: am keeping up by reading the threads though and probably won't be able to resist answering a few when I can!

I'm deeply moved by folks kindness in supporting me and the funny comments that keep me smiling! ...so a big, big thanks from me.

Iris e050.gif

(the dandelions were just so d..lish...us. :lol::lol::lol::lol: )
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi iris

It is good to see you.

So sorry you are struggling to type - just when you really need to too :( grrrrr!!!!!

Must be so very frustrating. Glad you are still keeping up with us all though and knwo we are rooting for you.

Bit of a pain you cant have any RA meds, but the reasons for it sound fair enough - I will be crossing my toes that arthur gives you five minutes to get over the op if he will.

You take very good care love and hugs to you

love

Toni xx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Fingers crossed the test are ok this time and it all goes ahead for you. You really do need it flower.....

I hope they will come up with a pain plan for you while your off your meds? Its a long time but it makes sense while your body is healing just hang in there and don't try to type too much.

Really am thinking of you and as to all this support for you, well look at how much you have given. Its only right some comes back to you there.

Leaving you a (((((((((( )))))))))) a bucket of hopes and a bowl of carrot. rabbit mix, dandelion (not chopped this time :lol::lol: ) apples and some grass pellets...... Love Cris xxx

Hey look into voice activated cus it might work with the site, some do..... I will have to as well I think us of the eyes...... :roll:
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Iris, it's good to see you posting but terrible that you're still in so much pain. Glad to hear the pre op seems to have gone well. Fingers crossed your bloods behave themselves and all goes as planned next week.
    Do as the Dr. orders and rest and get your strength as much as you can. It's a good chance for you to maybe catch up with some reading or watching those DVD's you've not had time to see.
    Hopefully arthur will settle down and let you get over your op. Load up with those painkillers.
    :wink: big hugs always rita
  • whalewatcher
    whalewatcher Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi Iris
    You've always been supportive to other people & now its your turn to get all the love & good thoughts
    I do hope everything goes well & you can come back & show us all your swish new wrists.
    Take care
    Whalewatcher
  • chrissie691
    chrissie691 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Best wishes Iris and to anyone else who's struggling. Luv and hugs (((((((()))))))))

Chrissie xxx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Just saw the thread. Hope your pains improving sending you a ((( hug ))) love Maria x
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Hi Iris hope you're not too bad sending gentle healing ((((((hugs)))))) your way, take care.

Love Julie xx
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • dorcas
    Options
    thanks again everyone :D

No let up from arther despite warm sunshine today so continuing to hobble about like quasi modo without the hump!.

I am looking into 'free' voice activated software (or rather speedy and Cris are on my behalf..bless you both x) so fingers crossed 'we' will find something compatible and that doesn't cost the earth.

4 days to go before I have my right wrist replacement op which is exciting and nerve racking in equal measure. :roll: still don't know how I'll manage after the op with arther being as fierce on so many other joints and the fused left hand also needing more surgery.....my mobility & lots of everyday tasks are going to be very difficult to say the least.
    I asked community OT for help but they said the hospital OT should pick up when I'm in...and in any case I should 'wait' to see how I am after the op....I can honestly say that's the first time I've ever had an OT be so unhelpful!.
    I also am worrying about my two labs, Ruby and Jake as I won't be able to drive for quite some time so can't exercise them.
    (Apologies to folks who have much more significant worries than this!)

Had my hair cut short today and my hairdresser assures me it will need very little attention! I'm off shopping tomorrow for elasticated trousers (won't be able to manage zips or buttons) and baggy tops that I can hopefully manage to get on and off without too much trouble. Heaven knows what I'll look like but needs must...

thanks peeps for still 'being there' for me.

Iris x
  • snowball
    Options
    Hi Iris I do hope it goes well for you, my youngest son said if we lived near you he would walk your dogs bless him. He really would. Sending more ((((((hugs)))))).

Love Julie xx
  • dorcas
    Options
    Julie,

Please say a great big THANK YOU from me to your lovely son for his kind offer......Ruby and Jake would have just loved that...they both think boys are just the best fun!

Iris x
  • snowball
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    Julie,

Please say a great big THANK YOU from me to your lovely son for his kind offer......Ruby and Jake would have just loved that...they both think boys are just the best fun!

Iris x

Will do Iris, he walks his grandparents dogs.

Julie xx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Iris,

It doesn't seem trivial to me about jakey and Ruby and I would have them here is it helps? Look do you remember seeing that post about the Cinnamon trust? They said they walk dogs, leave it with me and I will find you a Scottish number...... Mite take me a min or two but shall go look in a second.

Try not to worry and leaving you a ((((( ))))) Love Cris xxx
  • dorcas
    Options
    thanks Cris, you are fandabydozy xxxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Iris,

feels only yesterday I was doing all that prep for my op and so worried about all the practicalities myself.
    4 days to go before I have my right wrist replacement op which is exciting and nerve racking in equal measure.
    still don't know how I'll manage after the op with arther being as fierce on so many other joints and the fused left hand also needing more surgery.....my mobility & lots of everyday tasks are going to be very difficult to say the least.
    You can't go on as you are and you are coping somehow now - so I think you have had lots of practise at struggling and managing - are your family and friends pitching in? Are you entitled/able to secure any services?
    I asked community OT for help but they said the hospital OT should pick up when I'm in...and in any case I should 'wait' to see how I am after the op....I can honestly say that's the first time I've ever had an OT be so unhelpful!.
    She sounds rubbish - perhaps she was out of her depth. Let's hope the ward OTs are better!!!
    I also am worrying about my two labs, Ruby and Jake as I won't be able to drive for quite some time so can't exercise them.
    (Apologies to folks who have much more significant worries than this!)
    No I know exactly where you are coming from on this one, S is like a labrador and I worried about exercising him!! I also was so relieved friends were staying to look after S - because it meant my lovely cat was being looked after too. If Cris doesn't come up trumps (and she is bound to) there are going to be lots of young unemployed people in the area after a bit of pocket money. Now clearly you wouldn't trust your lovely dogs with just anyone but you are a good judge of character (so are animals) and you probably can get one or a few people on word of mouth. Have you sorted them out for your hospital stay ok?
    Had my hair cut short today and my hairdresser assures me it will need very little attention! I'm off shopping tomorrow for elasticated trousers (won't be able to manage zips or buttons) and baggy tops that I can hopefully manage to get on and off without too much trouble. Heaven knows what I'll look like but needs must...
    Sounds like you are getting organised, the short hair is a good idea. The intemediary team who come out to change my TEDS and wash my feet and lower legs also wash my hair for me. I prefer elasticated trousers anyway - much more comfy and as long as you have tops over the top of the waist band no one knows except you anyway. I'm wearing totally different clothes too - I usually wear casual trousers and I'm wearing loose fitting "hippy dresses" complete with TED stockings because the dresses are quick and easy to put on and don't catch on my long scar.
    thanks peeps for still 'being there' for me.
    You are welcome. You are always there for us - friendship works best when it reciprocated both ways.

Take care,

Speedalong
    x
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.