Bit of support for Iris ( Dorcas)

Options

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi speedy!

I have been managing well enough on my own with arther but can foresee the difficulties ahead with having the right hand/ wrist out of commission. When I had the left wrist fusion last year my right wrist was workable and knees etc ok . I was able to get up from a chair without a problem and cope with the stairs and do all personal care without much of a problem.
    I am a bit stunned at the difference another year with arther has made to my mobility and doing every day tasks, but hoping that when I start on my third anti tnf that I will have a good result and regain 'lost ground' .

Your right about the OT...she was rubbish...totally disinterested and quite obviously side stepping any responsibility!

After the op I will have help during the day from my daughters for the first week. Both are full time working mums (teacher & mid wife) and have taken days off to help out.

Ruby and Jakey boy are going into local kennels for that first week and my sister in Aberdeen was going to take both for a month after that.....but her hubby has taken ill and understandably she's had to cancel taking the dogs. hence my dilemma!
    Cris , bless her cotton socks, has pm'd me a contact address and I've emailed them for local dog walking info. so here's hoping!

I'm not as well organised as you were speedy :roll: but have picked up a few tips from you and other peeps (who've kindly been sharing experiences post op ) along the way!

hope you and S are both doing ok :wink: thanks and ((hugs))).

Iris xx
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hello Iris

Ouch - it sounds like you are having a really really rough time at the moment ..

The dogs will be fine together in the kennels for a week and I hope you get a good dog walker to help you out over that first month.. (I have just paid £418 for my 2 dogs to be in the kennels for 3 weeks whilst I had my op and was at my sisters, and also £250 to have them walked for the month of June - but it is worth it for the 'peace of mind' to know they were/are being well looked after.. it will be just bread and jam for me until July though!! )

I do hope you have some improvement in your pain soon Iris - you are such a kind, caring, sensible, person and I have really appreciated your messages over the last couple of months..

Best wishes

Marion x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Iris
    Will be thinking of you on the day of op - and hopefully the promise of your swish new wrist will help to buoy you up whilst you wait for your promised Infliximab fix. Infliximab worked BRILLIANTLY for me so hoping it will do the same for you.
    Love Tilly x
  • dorcas
    Options
    A very big THANK YOU to Cris (skezier) for support and advice about my dog 'problem'. 075.gif

I contacted the Cinammon Trust and they then put me in touch with Pet Fostering Service Scotland (PFSS); a lovely lady there is sure they can help me out with finding a temporary home ( together) for Ruby and Jakey Boy while I recuperate from surgery. It's a charitable organisation reliant on donations and fund raising and is affiliated with The Blue Cross Pet Charity.
    All their 'foster parents' are checked and approved. They do not charge for this service....apart from food and any necessary vet bills; although obviously donations do help!.

I am just so delighted to have this ..thank you Cris...you are just wonderful. :wink::D

Iris x (that's one very major thing off my list of 'to do's!)
  • dorcas
    edited 3. Jun 2010, 11:55
    Options
    Hi Tilly and Marion...thanks for your messages and support!

Pain a little less today....a bit like going to the dentist... pain disappears as you approach the dentist's office!

having made arrangements for my dogs is such a relief.

I can now concentrate on getting myself organised for hospital. :wink:

iris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That must be a huge weight off your mind. Good old skezier, she comes up trumps again! What a good organisation, well worth knowing about. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Really glad they have come up with some help for you and the 2 'Loons' :D Hey the Blue Cross are very good so it should be fine.

Right now get your self a bit of rest free of worry and I got everything crossed it goes well for you. I not sure if your in the morning of or the night before but either way will be thinking of you. ((((( ))))) Cris xxx
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Glad you have got the dogs 'sorted' Iris - that's a great weight off you mind as you say

All the best

Marion
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Pain a little less today....a bit like going to the dentist... pain disappears as you approach the dentist's office!
    Yes funny that, same happened to me - now why is that?!?!
    having made arrangements for my dogs is such a relief.
    I can now concentrate on getting myself organised for hospital. :wink:
    Replace "dogs! with "S" - now who do you sound like?!!

Pack a few luxuries - besides the toiletries I was very grateful for my mini jar of coffee (hospital coffee is horrid) - I used to have their hot water and milk and jokingly say I would add my own "snobs" coffee!!! I also sent out for mug as I'm used to more and bigger hot drinks.

I'm glad your daughters will be there for you during the day for the first week and that the dogs are going to be catered for. Just hope time passes quickly to when you can go back on the meds that keep arther under control.

Take care

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    Options
    thanks again peeps. :D I'm back to my usual cheery self now. :mrgreen:

I've to be in hospital on Monday morning at 8am...not sure where I am on the surgical list.... but family have to phone the ward after 3pm.

My darling son Pip is doing his ODP (Operating Department Practice) clinical rotation in the same hospital but in ENT theatre rather than orthopaedics.
    It's some co-incidence as he was on placement in ortho theatre in that hospital last year when I was in for my Wrist Fusion. He wasn't permitted to remain in theatre and was sent home when I came down from the ward.....but it was really reassuring for me to have him with me beforehand. Pip said it was really weird to see my name up on the theatre board! :wink:

I'm trying to be good and rest up a bit for Monday but it's so hard not to be 'doing' things. I think it's all that running around in the hamster wheel.... :lol::lol::lol:
    e050.gif

Iris x
  • dorcas
    Options
    hey speedy,

I think I'm becoming your 'apprentice' but would have to try very very hard to match your skill at list making and you and Marion's obsession with house cleaning!

Haven't thought about what I'm taking in to hospital yet but great idea about smuggling in some 'special' coffee! I will definitely pack some...
    I would really like to take my own pillow as I find it really hard to sleep on any other without waking up feeling I've got a broken neck.....doubt I'd be allowed to though!

Daughters are great and will have me well organised when I get home... bless them x they haven't let me forget that I fell down stairs the first night I was home on my own after the fusion...:roll:

my twin sister is getting a little anxious and she tells me it's a wee bit tough for her thinking about me (her other half) having another op. I think it's harder for my family than in it is for me......

lol
    Iris x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi iris,

You do seem a bit calmer and well I never get organised and am always flapping about last thing every time as well as looking for excuses why I can't go in....... :roll: So your doing well there :wink:

As well as another bucket of (((( )))) and hopes I am leaving a pot with a 082.gif so you can nibble as you need :lol::lol:

You rest that wrist a bit but as you said to Chris weather you post or not we are thinking of you.(((( )))) and carrots, grass pellets and apples Cris xxx
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Iris

Hope you are having a decent day today so far?

Just noticed your postings re your dogs and glad you have them sorted out for your op. Do you know the Gumtree website? Alot of dog walkers advertise their services on there however I also see people placing adverts saying they will walk your dog for free 'cos they want the exercise or already walk their own dog so maybe in the future worth posting an advert (they are free) asking for people to walk your dogs for free on an ad hoc basis? Just a wee thought.

I don't know when your op is but wishing you lots of luck and support.
    Keep smiling, Carol :lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Iris

You must be soooo proud of PIp :D

wow!!!

Well I am glad it is all settling and getting sorted.

You know - i think you'll be better when you are in and cant do anything else :D

You take care

Love
    and hugs

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    2 days and counting . . . .

How's the packing going? I cannot survive in hospital without wet wipes of some sort (baby ones for me!) and Johnson's baby talc. Thinking of you very hard now. DD
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi DD,
    packing? what packing? :lol::lol:

I have made a start and taken your good advice and opted for 'goonies' rather than pyjamas for taking in with me. wet wipes and baby talc (which I always use)are a good idea too!
    I was explaining to my darling daughter this morning that I will have a problem post op with trying to use anti-perspirant spray or even a roll-on for under my left arm.... as the fused left hand does not bend and so I cannot reach there...if that makes sense! it's the wee odd things that will flumox me!

Hi Toni :D Yes....I am very proud of my youngest son Pip..he's a lovely lad and a real charmer with the ladies!!!

I will be better when I'm in hospital and can't 'do' any more...the waiting is the worst!

Hi Carola...nice to meet you. :mrgreen: I haven't heard of 'Gumtree' but will definitely check it out...sounds really good and would be a real godsend in the future.

btw my op is on Monday...thanks for asking nd for posting!

Hi Cris ...grass pellets :shock: :shock: whatever happened to sweet fresh green grass :? ha ha! loved the dandelion though and have put that next to my case for going 'in'.

I have been a good little guinea pig today and been sitting in the garden reading others posts on the forum and trying to 'refrain' from joining in! thanks as always for the (((()))) sending some of mine back at ya. :wink:e050.gif

hiya Lynn! thanks too for the hugs and good wishes; I'm putting them in my hossy bag for Monday!. :D:D

I am much relieved at getting help with my two loony tune dogs...the Cinammon Trust were brilliant so I for one would join Cris in recommending them..x

my new shorter haircut is great and I can manage it with just one hand so that's definitely a bonus!

lots of love to everyone on the forum. hope the sun shone on you today.

Iris x

ps. I'm off to visit my 77yr old aunt who's just had her first TKR!
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hope all goes well for your op on monday and it makes things better for you xxxxxxxxxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    Hi DD,
    ......I was explaining to my darling daughter this morning that I will have a problem post op with trying to use anti-perspirant spray or even a roll-on for under my left arm.... as the fused left hand does not bend and so I cannot reach there...if that makes sense! it's the wee odd things that will flumox me!
    .........................................................her first TKR!

Hi Iris,

It may be too late till after the op now but I have exactly the same problem with my deodorant so I bought a piece a plastic drainpipe from a DIY shop, put a 'stop' in (I fed an empty T-Gel shampoo bottle in the other end) then sit my roll-on deodorant in the top end and this extends it so you can reach your underarms :D If you haven't got a suitable size shampoo bottle then get someone handy to put a screw or some such through to stop the deodorant bottle slipping through the drain pipe.

If you've understood what I've tried to explain and are going to go down this route remember to take your fave deodorant bottle with you so you get the right size drain pipe. :wink:

Luv Legs who's not smellie at all now :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi Legs,

had to read that three times before I could begin to imagine how to do that.! now I've got it sussed and will definitely try it out! thanks Linda.

glad you're not whiffy any more!

Iris x :D
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Iris,
    I would really like to take my own pillow as I find it really hard to sleep on any other without waking up feeling I've got a broken neck.....doubt I'd be allowed to though!
    Don't see why not. Just make sure you put it in a brightly coloured pillow case so that it doesn't get "adopted" by the hospital!! Don't pack it, get one of your visitors to bring it in.
    Daughters are great and will have me well organised when I get home... bless them x they haven't let me forget that I fell down stairs the first night I was home on my own after the fusion...
    My friends were very over protective at first - just a sign they care - though a bit frustrating too for us independent types!!
    my twin sister is getting a little anxious and she tells me it's a wee bit tough for her thinking about me (her other half) having another op. I think it's harder for my family than in it is for me......
    Did I know you had a twin sister?? Have you mentioned her before? Are you identical? (its when I ask that question, that I wonder if I asked you it before... think I lost some brain cells since being off-sick!)

Glad you have a nice weekend planned - don't be like me though - squeezing in the packing and final bath and hair wash ....!!!! late the night before the op ....

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Legs wrote;
    It may be too late till after the op now but I have exactly the same problem with my deodorant so I bought a piece a plastic drainpipe from a DIY shop, put a 'stop' in (I fed an empty T-Gel shampoo bottle in the other end) then sit my roll-on deodorant in the top end and this extends it so you can reach your underarms If you haven't got a suitable size shampoo bottle then get someone handy to put a screw or some such through to stop the deodorant bottle slipping through the drain pipe.

How ingenious!!! I love inventions!! You should patent it!!

Speedalong
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Legs wrote;
    It may be too late till after the op now but I have exactly the same problem with my deodorant so I bought a piece a plastic drainpipe from a DIY shop, put a 'stop' in (I fed an empty T-Gel shampoo bottle in the other end) then sit my roll-on deodorant in the top end and this extends it so you can reach your underarms If you haven't got a suitable size shampoo bottle then get someone handy to put a screw or some such through to stop the deodorant bottle slipping through the drain pipe.

How ingenious!!! I love inventions!! You should patent it!!

Speedalong

If I ever do and become rich with all arthritic peeps buying them - I'll give you half the dosh Speedalong :wink:

XX
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    And we have that in typing. Must find out if legally binding, tho I suspect not. DD
  • skezier
    Options
    Oh Legs so many of us stand witness to that :wink::lol: ((( ))) and that is so much a good idea and do you want royalties when we do it? xxx

Hi Iris,

Just popped in to top up your ((( ))) bucket and the hopes bucket as well as leaving you some freshly picked grass and dandelions :wink:

You enjoy your week end and try and put it all to the back of your head and well another ((((( ))))) and you do realise we shall all be there with you don't you? Another ((( ))) and apples with some nicely diced turnip (you calls them neaps I think but the orange ones anyway :wink: ) and just cus your special I got you a guinea pig chew stick and honey stick...... love Cris xxxx
  • speedalong
    Options
    If I ever do and become rich with all arthritic peeps buying them - I'll give you half the dosh Speedalong

Gee - thanks, Legs!! :lol::lol::lol:

Speedalong