What would you do? (Destined to wear TEDS forever ...)

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 9. Jul 2010, 10:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I apologise that in the scheme of things that is a trivial post ... (DD, Berty, Zech …)
But it is seems I’m destined to be buried in my TEDS ..

I saw the consultant today and he flummoxed me! Basically I can sleep on my side, swim, drive, kneel, sit on the floor, have a bath etc etc as long as I don’t break the 90 degree rule BUT I must carry on wearing the TEDS until my next appointment in 8 weeks (ie that will be 14 weeks post op!!) I was so gob-smacked that I did not ask enough questions – ie why as I thought at first he was joking!!

Now this might seem very trivial – but unless I can find a device to put them on … (and Marion will vouch for how even devices for the lesser evil version – compression stockings – are hard to find,) I will be destined to have a nurse/carer visiting to change them (they are lovely, but … ) Now if I’m at a higher than normal risk of a blood clot fair enough – but if not WHY?! Maybe my consultant has a fetish for TEDS??? (Elna - maybe rather than asking him to take them off, I should have asked him to put them on!)

So what would you do? Is this a rule to break? Is it worth the risk? Shall I go and see my GP? See if the OT has any solutions?

And pray, how can I swim, bath etc wearing my TEDS??!!

Yours in exasperation,

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Speedy - I can't believe it!

I've never heard that before..

I don't know what to say...

I'll pop back later when I've digested this!

Marion
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Oh Speedy what a mess for you. I cannot help you much as I have RA but I would certainly have a word with the Dr and the nurse when she comes round.

Could ring His sec up and double check? Maybe he would agree to give you periods off. I know you are now worried if there is something they are telling you.

You have got to ask questions or you will not settle.

Lv, Ix
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Yuk!!

the most unsexy suggestion I have ever heard!!

Meanie!!

You poor thing :(

I think this will require HUGE logistic effort. You cant swim alone unlesss you can then get to someone to help you put them On for example :roll:

I would ask my GP :(

Are you still swollen?

Are you on water tabs?

Oh I dont get it - I will shut up :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I honestly don't know what I'd do in your situation Speedy. I have had a DVT and was given compression stockings .....one for each leg in a funky flesh colour, yuk, I was supposed to wear them when travelling.

I'm unable to put ordinary socks on let alone these strong elastic things and when hubby tried to put them on for me, he couldn't it was just too painful. I have never worn them and my DVT hasn't returned (touch wood).

I would phone his secretary as has already been suggested and find out why you're having to wear them so long. I would also leave them off and have a bath or shower or swim.

Luv Legs :|
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    They have pills for everything nowadays. Surely there's an anti DVT pill - and even if there isn't I cannot see the problem: you are more mobile, walking every day, doing your exercises, why wear these things? OK, if you weighed 37 stone and sat around eating and never moving perhaps, but you are not (I hope), you don't and you do: he's in fetishist's heaven. Don't reward him. Take them off. DD (unless you can't 'cos of the MASSIVE hair growth.) (Who is 37 stone, does sit around eating and doesn't move.)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    They have pills for everything nowadays. Surely there's an anti DVT pill - and even if there isn't I cannot see the problem: you are more mobile, walking every day, doing your exercises, why wear these things? OK, if you weighed 37 stone and sat around eating and never moving perhaps, but you are not (I hope), you don't and you do: he's in fetishist's heaven. Don't reward him. Take them off. DD (unless you can't 'cos of the MASSIVE hair growth.) (Who is 37 stone, does sit around eating and doesn't move.)

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for that, DD.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Ironic & Legs - his secretary only works part time ... but could give her a race with getting an answer from GP.

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Right Speedy...

Could you ask the OT tomorrow? Would she be used to the consultant's foibles and know if this is his normal way of doing things ...

If she doesn't have the answer, could you/she phone the consultant's sec. or one of his team, to clarify why he has said to keep them on for this extended period of time??

I could understand it if had broken both your legs/ankles and were immobile/confined to a wheelchair, or if you had had a DVT (as Legs had), but there doesn't seem to be any real logic in this..

He seems very cautious about the TEDs, but on the other hand is more or less letting you do anything you want vis a vis driving, kneeling, etc (!) - it seems very strange to me!!

(I have had another hopeless attempt at putting a tubigrip on my leg using the plastic sock aid this evening, and unfortunately bent down too far to pull the tuibigrip up, so now have a pain in my groin/hip - I am not happy so am going to bed early to rest up).

Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow ..

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Toni ... he wouldn't know if swollen or not, he didn't look (only had eyes for my TEDS I s'pose!) I'm otherwise healthy; doing physio, walking and daily living activities each day; average weight ...

I would go swimming during the day, when everyone else working. If I took of my TEDS to bath or shower would be without them for upto 24 hours anyway until nurse came the next day (or if my TED care gets past to social services - every 3rd day or so...)

Speedy

PS

"The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) recommends that you wear compression (anti-embolism) stockings:

•both day and night after your operation
    •until your ability to move (mobility) is no longer significantly reduced
    NICE defines mobility as being significantly reduced if:

•you are bed-bound
    •you are unable to walk without help or
    •you spend most of the day in bed or in a chair
    Your surgeon, or one of the healthcare professionals treating you, will confirm how long you should wear your anti-embolism stockings after your operation.

You can remove your stockings to have a bath or shower. "
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion, I will ask the physio coming tomorrow .. but she did say to me last time only the consultant can say when you stop wearing them ... What I really want confirmed is - is he just being over cautious or does he know something I don't know. If it's the former - then I shall say I found someone willing to do them and not wear them. If it's the latter - then I will wear them (to prevent clot.) I suspect it is the former ... but of course there is now a niggling doubt.

I tried again to put a TED on my old replacement leg with the sock gadget - it is so tight though and squeezes the gadget too closed to even get my foot in ...

He did ask to see me walking without the crutch and could I stand on my operated leg only ... I did the walking with a limp, and had to have one finger resting on the window ledge to do the balancing act...

Maybe he thinks I wont do the other things ... None of it makes sense.

Is your swelling still bad? Have you got the actual compression/support stockings - I think they would go on easier than the tub-grip ... be careful. Have you asked for OT advice - I'm going to.

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

It doesn't make sense to me..

Are you friendly with your GP ? Could you give him/her a call and talk it over? I wonder if your hospital discharge letter (which your GP should have by now) mentions the TEDs ...

I have an admission to make! I wish now that I had had TEDs - I am sure this swelling/pooling in my foot/ankle wouldn't be so much of a problem if I had been prescribed TEDs...

I think those plastic gadgets are hopeless, but I am planning to buy/try the 'cage' gadget for putting on compression stockings (it's in the betterlife catalogue).. I managed to remove the tubigrip with my long-handled shoe horn - I was thinking about trying barbeque forks, but again they would probably scratch ... )

Definitely going to bed now .. at least I haven't been nauseous today!!

Best wishes

Marion
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Speedy

I would wear them for 6 weeks, no need to, at night. If there is no leg swelling after that time, no longer wear them. Still keep legs elevated when resting. Always a good idea if possible anyway.

That is my humble advice.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Speedy,

That's not fair, how can we shear you in those!

I honestly think if I was mobile, moving about and had no swelling coming up i would break the rules.... but.... that's me and well hopefully the physio can sanction their removal......

Hope your not too deflated and the shears really are nice and sharp so we could do them through the teds........ :wink:

A ((((( ))))) and so much hope the physio helps with the dilemma. Cris xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Elna, the only swelling I have (as long as I elevate enough) is right at the top of the leg ie where the actual hip joint is. My TEDS are knee high (surprised he didn't recommend thigh length ones!!)

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Cris, get over here now let's have a go!! I'll tell Mr TEDS-fetish surgeon that I had to throw away the TEDS as they accidently got cut when my friend was carrying out a very necessary shearing of my hairy legs ...!!!

I'm going to try and get to the bottom of this. I want my freedom back .. much as the Intermediate team are lovely being up and waiting about for a house call between 8 and 1 30 each day ... is a bind (I know I'm lucky to be covered by the team ... but their resources are stretched as it is.)

I did try out sleeping on my side last night and I have risked being caught in the shower by the I.T. this morning .... but it is less relaxing waiting for a call at any time ... I could have done my walk by now - but have to wait in until the nurse comes.

Speedy
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    One Tuesday, many moons ago, I was admitted to hospital with an exploding ovary - well, eventually they found it was an exploding ovary and I went into theatre at 1pm to have it removed. I hadn't eaten anything due to pain and the consultant had noted I shouldn't be given food prior to the op. By Thursday I was beginning to feel hungry, and asked for some food when the lunch came round. They checked my notes and it still said I shouldn't be given any food so they refused. By Friday night I was still on no food, because the consultant hadn't been round and the nurses said they couldn't feed me until he said so. On Saturday morning another patient was able to get me a bowl of dry rice crispies which I hid in my locker and nibbled on thro-out the day. The Consultant still did not appear. The Husband insisted on following what the hospital said: alright for him, he was going home and eating. I snuck another bowl of crispies on Sunday morning. They released me on Monday, and whilst waiting for collection I had my first 'proper' meal for nearly a week, a tuna sandwich. I ate half of one round before nausea swept in.

Consultants are not God's gift to patients: they are humans with a God complex. You do what you want. DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    DD - your experience was barking - I'm surprised you were strong enough to be allowed home after being starved for so long. It was bad enough when I went in for my op and didn't eat for 36 hours ... due to my consultant changing the theatre lists and moving my op and me ending up starving for longer than I needed too and missing the evening meal on the ward. Hospital toast never tasted so good!!

I do feel he is being ridiculous, but then there is this tiniest niggle of worry ... that I'm high risk for a clot (but why would I be?) and what would happen to S if I did get one ....

CR*P, CR*P, CR*P!!!

Speedy
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I can understand your concern, but how many weeks post-op are you now? 7,8? You are being so active, I cannot understand the risk. Obviously, if you are still unsure then you have to keep them on, (ghastly, frightful things that they are) but then at least you will have piece of mind, and that is beyond everything. I don't envy you the dilemma. DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I can understand your concern, but how many weeks post-op are you now? 7,8? You are being so active, I cannot understand the risk. Obviously, if you are still unsure then you have to keep them on, (ghastly, frightful things that they are) but then at least you will have piece of mind, and that is beyond everything. I don't envy you the dilemma. DD

I'm 6 weeks post op. More active when compared to "home days" in months leading up to op (not as active as when at school - but I was in agony every day,) more active than a lot of the older patients on the ward will ever be (bless 'em) .... If I can get a gadget to put them on and off myself ... I promise not to utter another murmer ... (well 98%) of the time ...

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

I can understand your niggling doubt, but I really don't think there is something the consultant is not telling you (about risk of DVT) ... he has told you everything else, so I can't see him holding something back ..

I wonder if TEDS have any other uses? - eg providing support for when you walk? Crazy idea I know ...

Just off to podiatrist again in a moment - had an appt last friday with her and she was a bit concerned about one of my toe nails and wants to make sure it hasn't gone into an infection.. Will be back online later to see what your physio/OT thinks ..

Marion
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Hi Speedy.
    when i was given them i was told to change them every week and to wear them for 6 weeks.
    can you ring your doc to ask what you can do. good luck.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion and Joan - I think he is just being over cautious ..???

The physio came today - she was speechless!! She thinks he doesn't make sense at all. She can't understand why I have to keep wearing the TEDS in yet he is SO blase (sorry can't be bothered to find thread on chitchat to get the e right..)about the restrictions and says I can do all the other things. She thinks I'm doing great especially when I told her about going downstairs without any crutches whilst balancing a squeaking mouse under a beaker on a book..!!We practised getting in and out of the car - AND AFTER SHE HAD GONE I WENT FOR A SHORT DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

My keyworker nurse at the team is going to contact my consultant to see what his reasons are and hopefully argue the toss!?! The Physio has faxed him to check about restrictions as she is non-plussed and the OT is willing to look at ideas for getting the TEDS on and off ... so at least I have some great peeps onside!! As a punishment Mr. TEDS-fetish will probably deem I need to wear them for life!!

Speedy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    edited 25. Jun 2010, 10:08
    Options
    Eeeekkk!!!!

FOR LIFE???? :shock:

This goes on much longer I think we will have to pimp your teds :wink:

Maybe you could just use them in the evenings when we all naturally get less mobile??

Here's hoping the 'friends' you have can get him to review your restrictions.

Doesn't he realise the danger he is putting you in?? hordes of rampaging men.....You sex-godess :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Take the bl**dy things off. Throw caution to the winds, paint the Cross of St George on them and drape them over his car aerial next time you see him. A nice, surgical variation on car flags. DD
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Glad your OT/physio was of the same opinion as the rest of us!

Hopefully she can clear this up once and for all..

Keep us posted.

Wow - a drive! I am jealous!!!

Marion