What would you do? (Destined to wear TEDS forever ...)

Options

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD and Toni - I can't stop laughing ... :lol::lol::lol:

It IS ridiculous isn't it!! Can now finally see the funny side...

Marion - didn't mean to make you feel jealous. Which leg is your replacement on again? When you have permission I have the strategies in place to share ie - how to get in and adjust your seat .. all without breaking the 90 degree rule... (wish I knew how to get a degree symbol on the d*mn laptop ...)

So I guess driving is like walking - a case of building up stamina and distance again ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There always is a funny side, but sometimes, when you're deep in the murk of it all, it isn't apparent. frogmorton is really good at pointing it out. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    There always is a funny side, but sometimes, when you're deep in the murk of it all, it isn't apparent. frogmorton is really good at pointing it out. DD

aw!!!

Thanks DD :D
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    'Tis only the truth, dear frogmorton. DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    DD - you are pretty funny yourself...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Hope you are Ok .. have you tried anything else since yesterday (eg bathing, etc,)?

Ok - I can't stand the tension - how do you get in the driver's seat and adjust the seat without breaking the 90 degree rule?? I promise I won't try it until I'm allowed!! It's my right hip that's just been replaced ...

Best wishes

Marionl
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion - I'm the same - right hip op. This has the advantage of the easier/lighter pedals to operate!!

Ok -
      1. you do the need seat pushed back to start with - someone else has to do this the very first time. 2. from then on you can move the seat forwards and back yourself if necessary - with your shoe horn!! use the hook on the handle to loop under the seat bar and pull - then use your other leg and hands on steering wheel to slide seat. (I think this is my best use of the shoe horn to date!!) 3. Use cushions to make sure seat is high enough (easier if you are short like me.) 4. Make sure seat back is lowered right down, sit on seat with legs outside car ... doing usual stuff as sit down. Lie down as you swing your legs in - raise seat back and adjust seat with shoe horn. Getting out in reverse ... Leave seat back down (and seat pushed back if necessary,) ready for next time ..

I LOVE DRIVING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! I took S to athletics and we didn't need 2 cars to give us a lift (one to take wheelchair - lots of standing and walking over large distances at athletics and one to take S and I....) because S, I and wheelchair all fit in mine. I did lots of walking at athletics and just used chair when needed a rest. On the way home we stopped at shops and I used my lovely new blue badge to park near the entrance and then we walked to nearby shop for S to buy pens and walked around supermarket for me to buy fruit ... The only thing about doing "normal" things again is you realise how far you still have to go ... am having a lie down now!!

Am only introducing one thing at a time really, so know which ones cause what .... Oh yes did clean out fish tank yesterday - made more trips and used half rather full buckets of water ...

The first thing I tried was sleeping on my side with a cushion between my legs of course, (lay on un-op leg) - you sleep on your back though anyway don't you? It was easier to fall asleep, but less comfy when I wriggled ...

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Well that's a brilliant use of the shoe horn! I absolutely would never have thought of that...

Glad you have both had a really nice morning. It sounds like your recovery is really on track. Is the wheelchair for you or S?

My new 'gardener' came this morning - I had not met him before and he is waiting for a hip replacement at the age of 51.. It was a strange experience seeing someone walking the same way I was walking 8 weeks ago.. I don't walk like that now and it brought home to me how wonderful the hip operation is ... OOh I feel a bit emotional typing that - but you probably know what I mean..
    (BTW I only have a little courtyard garden, but the bamboo has taken over over the last 8 weeks and I am not taking any chances cutting it back myself!!)

Best wishes

Marion
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Oh you clever girl :D I think you should write a book. You could call it "Life with TED"

Great that you are getting out and about.

Happy driving,

Lv, Ix
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Never had you pegged as short: to me you are tall, slim, with shoulder-length dark hair. Well done on the driving tho - ain't Blue Badges gorgeous? You will now become familiar with the BB angry rant: all the allocated spaces in the supermarket car park taken, not one vehicle displaying a BB. YOu have been warned! DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,

the wheelchair is temporary for me - at athletics the gym is massive and there are several playing fields, the benches aren't suitable at present and I can't do all the sitting on the grass and jumping up (just yet!!) Each week we go since my op I use it less, but when I tire - I hop in and the athletes (who all have learning difficulties love to push me and help ... because for once they are the 'helpers' instead of the 'being helped!')

I'm so glad I kept the shoe horn now - I had it first time round, never got on with it last time or this ... but now it has found it's niche in life!!

I really need to continue my distance walking despite now being able to drive ... I'm sure you walk longer and further than me.

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Ironic, I reckon with the wealth of knowledge and the high quality level of improvisation everyone on the forum uses - we could publish a whole series of books between us!!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi DD - destined to be short ... and never thought it advantageous until now - but I now realise I have an advantage over tall hip op recover-ees - when bending down to pick things up I can bend nearer to the floor than taller peeps and not break the holy 90 degree rule (and if I stick my leg out behind me I can pick things off the floor ...) Am not really slim but average. My hair is however dark and long. It's fascinating on this forum ... we fill in the details we don't know in our imaginations, and although we all have arther in common -I wonder would we all have got on or started talking outside of cyber world?!

Oh yes - the BB rant ... I suspect I shall be particpating in a few of those!!

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

You could always get a speedometer and then you would know how far you are walking each day..! (I have one in my kitchen drawer but have never managed to work out how it works!)

Where did you borrow your wheelchair and scooters from Speedy?

Are you having a proper shower yet?

(If the answer to that last question is Yes - then I will be even more jealous)

Marion
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The only thing we all have in common is arthritis in its various forms. I doubt we would all get on in real life, but as we all live an unreal life it don't really matter! Somehow I think we find our 'natural' friends just from the tone of posts, ie the people we would get on with. Does that make sense? DD (who is probably nothing like you imagine, but would probably prefer to be llike you imagine!)
  • speedalong
    Options
    marion1952 wrote:
    Hi Speedy

You could always get a speedometer and then you would know how far you are walking each day..! (I have one in my kitchen drawer but have never managed to work out how it works!)

Where did you borrow your wheelchair and scooters from Speedy?

Are you having a proper shower yet?

(If the answer to that last question is Yes - then I will be even more jealous)

Marion

Hi Marion, I have a pedometer on my ipod - I think it just tells you how many steps you take, never used it though as since having it I have been pretty much a crip!! Maybe now is the time to give it a go.

The wheelchair I borrowed from the caretaker at school, it was her Mum's. The scooter I hire from a local company, the cheapest I could find.

And, yes - real showers, standing in the bath. No, I don't break the 90 degree rule - and I have a very ingenious way of doing it which involves a single step (like a low stool for reaching things) another friend's mum's zimmer frame and the back of my perching stool ... Was hoping to have more of them as soon as not in TEDS - as only do them when S is out as need to concentrate on the getting in and out bit - and never know what time the TED-nurses are coming ...

Speedy
  • speedalong
    edited 26. Jun 2010, 19:27
    Options
    The only thing we all have in common is arthritis in its various forms.
    That's a pretty big "only," as I came to realise when I started reading the posts .. wow - other people having the same issues and worse than me ...

I doubt we would all get on in real life, but as we all live an unreal life it don't really matter!
    Very true.
    Somehow I think we find our 'natural' friends just from the tone of posts, ie the people we would get on with. Does that make sense?
    As always, oh wise one - it does.
    DD (who is probably nothing like you imagine, but would probably prefer to be llike you imagine!)
    [/quote]
    How do you know??!!

Speedy
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The degree of severity is immaterial. Arthritis is an absolute ba****d and it affects everyone here. That is what brings us together in such a unique way. Not the sort of exclusive club I wanted to join but hey, ho-hum, if it's the only one for which I qualify . . . . DD
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Can you explain more about the shower vis a vis using the zimmer frame and the back of the perching stool... ? I can't work out how you get your leg(s) over the side of the bath... and how do you get out?

I might look for a lightweight wheelchair to stick in the car..

On a separate issue, I am going to my daughter's PGCE graduation in a couple of weeks time (just locally, but in a large auditorium with low, very comfy seats - which won't be suitable for me) ... They do cater for disabled people - it's a well known classical music venue and I have seen people in wheelchairs sitting at the end of rows - but I'm not sure what they can offer someone like me who doesn't really need a wheelchair but does needs a firm/high seat (I can see me perching on a bar stool at the back of the auditorium!!)

Hope you are having a nice morning ... it's very hot here !!

Marion
    /
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I took my teds off as soon as reached the required 6 or 12 weeks. I cant remember which but think it was 6 weeks cos certain I wasnt wearing them at Christmas. Didnt ask just took em off.....6 weeks after an operation is surely enough?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    Can you explain more about the shower vis a vis using the zimmer frame and the back of the perching stool... ? I can't work out how you get your leg(s) over the side of the bath... and how do you get out?
    No problem, to describe the set up of equipment is easy ... but will have a quick run through of the foot work before I commit it to paper.
    I might look for a lightweight wheelchair to stick in the car..
    Is useful if out with able bods as they can walk so much further and faster than us ... before the op, when my sister came to stay we borrowed one in big shops, garden centres and scooters at Nature centres ... because walking was so limited. You kind of adapt until you are out with able bods and then suddenly realised how compromised you are.
    On a separate issue, I am going to my daughter's PGCE graduation in a couple of weeks time (just locally, but in a large auditorium with low, very comfy seats - which won't be suitable for me) ... They do cater for disabled people - it's a well known classical music venue and I have seen people in wheelchairs sitting at the end of rows - but I'm not sure what they can offer someone like me who doesn't really need a wheelchair but does needs a firm/high seat (I can see me perching on a bar stool at the back of the auditorium!!)
    Ohh - lovely a day out. Are other family members going too? You could try and aisle seat if you wanted to sit with them (as if it is so comfy there should be sufficient leg room to stick your leg out a long way before sitting and standing. Do you have a good raiser cushion ... if not you could take the wheelchair - you are as valid using it as anyone else. If there is a lot of standing around for photos etc it might prove very useful. I would ring the venue and have a discussion with them ... they need to be seen to be disabilty friendly these days and if you aren't comfortable with using the wheelchair can probably find a chair that you could use at the end of the aisle.
    Hope you are having a nice morning ... it's very hot here !!
    It is very hot here too ... but better than last night ... a nice breeze coming through the upstairs windows ... have just done my lying down physio on the bed.

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Didnt ask just took em off.....6 weeks after an operation is surely enough?
    In retrospect, Elizabeth, wished I done the same. But the Intermediate team kept emphasing only the consultant could say when ...

Have you had a busy week ... you haven't posted as much as usual?

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Thanks Speedy - look forward to hearing more about the shower issue, when you have the time..

Yes - I need to contact the graduation venue - I am sure they will have a solution.. There will be just my daughter's long-term boyfriend and I at the graduation (only 2 tickets allowed). Last year I went up to Scotland and back in one day for her first graduation ... went up by car, got changed, went to the ceremony and drinks afterwards, then got 2 trains and a bus home.. BUT was only using one walking stick then!

Best wishes

Marion
  • marion1952
    Options
    PS - yes, I know what you mean about thinking you are doing Ok and then getting a reality check when you are with other/more mobile people....

I have got used to my 'slow life' here at home - it will be quite a shock when I have to go back to work and will be governed by the alarm clock again!!

M
  • speedalong
    Options
    Ok, Marion -

I tried it and am ready to commit to paper! This method for getting in the shower will only work and be safe if you are able to fully weight bear and also to stand briefly on operated leg whilst holding on with one hand. If you had a handrail fitted on the bath wall (standing height) then the same method would work and you would be able to hold on with two hands (I think.) If you intend trying, please do it with a partner in crime and preferably get them to practise getting in and out (like you will have to) first - so you can trouble shoot before trying (dry run of course!!)
      1. Position non-slip mat on bottom of bath, single step in front of bath, Zimmer on one side of step and perching stool on otherside, but not too close (so that chair is facing away from step and you can use the back rest to hold onto.) 2. Face the bath and hold on to zimmer and perching stool and step up - good leg first onto the step, followed by op leg. 3. Slowly turn (taking small steps as taught) so that you are side onto the bath and your op leg is on the bath side. 4. Op leg goes into the bath first, lean slightly forward holding on to zimmer and lift leg slightly behind you (not infront - or will break 90 degree rule...) 5. Holding on to zimmer with one hand (rail on wall would be useful at this point) lift good leg into bath too. To get out 1. Position yourself if necessary, so that good leg is side on & ready to get out first, hold on to zimmer and get good leg out of bath, carefully lift op-leg out - leaning slightly forward and lifting it behind rather than infront. 2. Turn once more, by taking little steps so have back to bath. Hold on the back of perching chair and zimmer and step down - op leg first, then good leg.

Hope this makes sense?!

Speedy

PS Do you have so far to travel this year to the graduation? I think more than a short journey would be uncomfy for me just yet.