What would you do? (Destined to wear TEDS forever ...)

Options
1235»

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    I think it is a case of needs must. You get to the point where you really can't go on as you are and the only option is an operation. You cope with it (what else can you do?!) Feel better as you have less pain and then spend your time adapting to the new restrictions that you have to follow ... Having the forum and cyber friends to share the experience with REALLY helps.

Take care,
    Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    tkachev wrote:

What a brilliant idea! Why have I never thought of that The amount of trouser washing i ve done in my time. The Shree things are difficult to use but a funnel gives you a nice target!

Elizabeth

Glad I could help Elizabeth, it's good to share these things though people do find it difficult to ask about personal aids. To me it's not alot different from adapted cutlery or anything else we use to make our life easier .....well actually, that's not strictly true, afterall I wouldn't take my knife and fork to toilet with me :shock: :wink:

Luv Legs XX

ouch lol

all usfull info
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi folks

just to say I probably won't be posting for a few days as my hands are bad and I need to rest them, but will hopefully be reading the posts ..

Thanks Speedy for the link about the the microfible crutch pressure pads- I will get some of those ..

I have seen those towels in the shops Legs and wondered if they were any good = thanks for that .. I had heard about the shewee last year when my daughter went to a music festival... I was amazed when I first heard about it!!

Best wishes

Marion
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Marion,

sorry you've got such sore hands on top of coping post op. :roll:

another wee 'hands' tip for you... I bought a hot wax therapy unit from Argos (also available from other suppliers on the net ).....suggested to me by the hand therapist.
    I find hot wax very soothing when my hands are bad and 'treat' them three or four times a day when need be. The heat from the wax penetrates the joints and is much much more effective than plunging hands into hot water and you can use the wax time and time again.

from one 'handsy' to another....take care and rest those joints.

love n hugs,

Iris x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,

sorry your hands are playing you up.

Lucky you don't need your hands for the lying and sitting hip physio exercises!! :lol::lol::lol:

If you are stuck at home, try and use your crutches less (if you feel safe enough and stable) and it will give your hands more of a break.

Take care,

Speedy

PS does the wax peel off your hands Iris or stay in liquid form and drip off?? I'm intrigued.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Glad to hear that S is happy today.

How is your hip? Hope you didn't overdo things at the garden centre yesterday. How is the walking going?

I went to a work-related conference for a few hours today and my hip was fine, although a few people noticed my swollen leg/foot - which went worse as the afternoon wore on.

I also chatted to an A & E doctor who told me that the best/cheapest thing to cushion crutches was pipe lagging! I hadn't thought of that. She said she had seen patients with blisters on their hands from crutches. My knuckles are huge at the moment but I am hoping they will go down again once I am off the crutch. I am not using it very much at all around the house. I tried using my walking stick outside instead of the crutch, but felt very 'vulnerable' - more vulnerable than I felt using nothing actually!!

I also popped into a mobility shop and bought the washing sponge and the brush on a long stick - £17.99. Have tried it out and it's OK, although the sponge kept coming unscrewed as I used it...
    Still now tried the trousers again though - will wait until the hands are a bit better..!

BW

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion, the hip is doing well - the other one is the one that seems to play up more. I still really sway/limp when walking without the crutch - but don't use it at all in the house or garden. Interestingly I limp less when going up the stairs - even when not holding on - which I don't understand at all. I want to set up the pedometer so that I can do more walking in life ie park/shops etc and still build it up my stamina.
    I went to a work-related conference for a few hours today and my hip was fine, although a few people noticed my swollen leg/foot - which went worse as the afternoon wore on.
    I used to put my foot up at work, in staff meetings and on courses ... I got quite laid back and brazen about it. Has your GP seen the swelling or made any suggestions?

Pipe lagging ... good idea if you can get an offcut.
    Sounds like you are doing great with just one and no crutch - do you limp or do you walk the same with and without the crutch?I never got on with a walking stick - too wobbly!! I have seen some post-op people using those walking pole things instead of crutches/walking stick.

That's a bit of design fault with the lotion thingy ...would you tape it on or something?At least with the weather being so hot, you aren't needing to wear the trousers/

Hope your hand improves asap.

Speedy
  • dorcas
    Options
    speedalong wrote:

PS does the wax peel off your hands Iris or stay in liquid form and drip off?? I'm intrigued.

Morning speedy :D

the liquid hot wax 'reforms' on your hand as it cools. it peels off like a glove (or in smaller bits!)....you then just drop the cool wax 'glove' back into the wax bath where it melts again!

the wax that comes with the unit lasts for ages as you only lose a little when you use it.

iris xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Iris,

it sounds lovely - does the positive affect last for several hours?

I would need a big wax basin to fit my hips in in the winter though!!

Reminds me of when I was at Middle school - the art teacher devised a very theraputic art activity that took us a term!! We each had to cut a wood block and use it as a base for a loop of metal on which we dripped melted candle wax from a burning candle ... we all used to always drip some on our hands to fiddle with too.

You were up early, hope you had a good night.

Speedy
    x
  • dorcas
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Iris,

I would need a big wax basin to fit my hips in in the winter though!!
    Speedy
    x

It would be great if you could get a wax bath to float in but I suspect it would cost a fortune and might end up cooking you instead!! lobster anyone? :lol::lol:

the soothing effects of the hot wax doesn't last very long but can be repeated during the day/ as often as you want.
    the first time i had hot wax treatment was for my wrist and elbow at hospital....couldn't believe the immediate pain relief as the heat permeates right into the bones which hot water alone doesn't do. ......to extend the effects the physio not only covered the arm with a type of cling film but then wrapped it in towels which helps keep the heat in...15 minutes bliss!

iris x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Iris,

pretty hard to wrap your own hands in towels ... but could maybe push hands into a plastic bag inside an old thick cushion cover ... though wax probably cools less quickly in this heat anyway.

Speedy