What would you do? (Destined to wear TEDS forever ...)

Options

Comments

• marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD

I'm just hoping Speedy has found a way round this trouser issue. If anyone has cracked it - she will have!

Hoping you have got all your packing done..

Marion
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Marion,

sounds like you had a FAB time shopping ... driving makes a big difference to getting a semi normal life back doesn't it?! Trousers ... mmm I've been living in long, flowing dresses (not my usual image these days except when too hot for words and need the air to circulate.) BUT today as no TEDS I put on my usual summer "uniform" of cut offs and a t-shirt - it was slower putting on cut-offs but not too difficult - but they are loose fitting. What are your trousers like - and I'll have a go and let you know.

Occurred to me after a luxurious shower (no nurses calling, so could relax and have a lovely one ... ) - how do you wash and dry lower legs if doing it yourself? Do you have a back brush/just use the shower head and then shake dry??? Do tell?!

Sorry you are having internet trouble, how annoying.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Still having problems sending messages - keep getting a 'debug error' and having to shut down..

I use different coloured 'body puffs' for different parts of the body and a long plastic stick which I attach one to! I leave the plug in the bath so that I can paddle about a bit. I use several small but fluffy towels, as I can't hold heavy bath towels anyway, and kind-of dry my feet/lower legs by standing on another towel and whizzing a towel over/around them using a 'helping hand' which I keep in the bathroom all the time.. I let the air finish off the drying! It does mean I use a lot of small towels, but I have always used lots of towels - even before my RA.

The trousers are just the wide legged linen ones with a tie at the front and kind-of elastic at the back. Sorry - I didn't realise you had been wearing dresses. Please don't do yourself an injury trying things out for me!!

I have overdone the walking today and my hands are very sore from the crutches. I have OA in my hands, as well as the RA. The new hip is fine though. I will have to try and rest my hands completely tomorrow. I had intended to attach a paintbrush to a bamboo stick and stain some decking in the garden tomorrow (ie without bending down) - but that's definitely out now!

Hope you have a good Saturday morning ..

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,
      Still having problems sending messages - keep getting a 'debug error' and having to shut down..
    That sounds a real nuisance. Have you posted on the technical thread or PM'd Livinglegend - he's a whizz at computer stuff.

Thanks for "body puffs" tips - will have a go. Have ordered a lotion aid from kleneze mag which should arrive soonish I hope.

The trousers are just the wide legged linen ones with a tie at the front and kind-of elastic at the back. Sorry - I didn't realise you had been wearing dresses. Please don't do yourself an injury trying things out for me!!
    Don't be daft - will live in cut-ofs now TEDless!! Since the trousers you describe aren't fitted, the technique will be similiar if I use my longest cut-off. Will note what I do in the morning.
    I have overdone the walking today and my hands are very sore from the crutches. I have OA in my hands, as well as the RA. The new hip is fine though.
    I have memory foam pads for mine that I use some of the time, to take of the pressure ... do you want details?
    I will have to try and rest my hands completely tomorrow. I had intended to attach a paintbrush to a bamboo stick and stain some decking in the garden tomorrow (ie without bending down) - but that's definitely out now!
    Mmm - I would be wary of that even if your hands were ok - S and I painted the garden fence prior to my op - had the stain bucket on a garden chair to save bending and even two panel meant I paid later big style. Yes my new hip is fine - better than the old one.
    Hope you have a good Saturday morning ..
    A lie in I hope!! First weekend morning since op without a nurse calling ... (and they tended to call early at weekends!) S has tonsillitis - so how he feels will influence whether we go to Special Olympics or not. I love going - we have lots of friends there. I'm also taking him to the hairdressers. Life is a lot easier now I'm driving again ...

Just being nosey - are you taking regular paracetomol for new hip still, I am, but wonder if I should try and leave out the breakfast time dose.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Hope S is recovering and you have en enjoyable day.

Yes please - could you send me the details of the memory foam crutch things.. have wrapped face cloths round the crutches for the time being. my hands have been really painful during the night - very little sleep - silly me - I could kick myself (if I could kick!)

Had stopped taking the paracetamol on Thursday, but have resumed it again because of my hands ! .. new hip is really good - feels much more 'embedded' now..

I have a little dilemma about lunch with my daughter and family tomorrow - not sure whether to have lunch at daughter's house and not go to the loo as it's very low, orfor us to go out to a pub/restaurant for lunch where there will be a disabled loo, but take a cushion in case the chairs are too low!! Daughter lives near a John L department store where there is a disabled loo, so could call in there on the way there and on the way back home!! Oooh the planning you have to do when you've had a hip replacement !!

Was looking on t'internet last night re trousers and found an american hip replacement site where someone had duck-taped a disposable razor to a 3 ft ruler in order to shave legs .. I still haven't done mine . but I did tape my Ped egg to my 'grabber' and had a go at my toes - it was only moderately successful though ..!

Best wishes

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,

When I put my cutoffs on this morning I sat on the edge of my bed, (which is very high ... could sit on perching stool,)

- Held trouser leg on unoperated side with pick up stick and put in that foot first, so that foot was right through and out the bottom of the trouser leg.
    - I used the pick up stick to hold open other trouser leg, whilst putting operated foot in and right through
    - Then I pulled up trousers with pick up stick on unoperated side with pick up stick to about knee height and then used my hands to pull them up.

If that doesn't work I'll dig out some longer trousers, mine were about 3/4 length.

Oh can you look in your booklet and see what it says about crouching down a little in your booklet ie not fully squating, I'm finding myself doing it if I'm not careful to reach things ... makes me think my hip is probably ready, if I'm trying it also anything about rotating the hips ,,,

Shall we write a book between us when we're recovered?!!

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Thanks very much Speedy

I had tried it before whilst sitting on the bed and I don't think that helped - so will try sitting on the perching stool .. I could roll the trouser legs up before hand too - so that there is less material to deal with - and then roll them down with the grabber afterwards.. God knows what creased/dusty/dog haired state these linen trousers will be in if I ever manage to get them on!!!

My hospital leaflet gives very minimal information! - something I am going to mention when I have my follow-up appt...

I have also had NO physio advice whatsoever since the op and I am sure could do with more intensive exercises , as my leg is still quite 'heavy' when moving it, eg in bed, and I also 'feel it' when I have to lift the leg to step over one of my dogs ...

The hospital leaflet says that no special/additional exercises are needed and that walking will provide all the necessary muscle strengthening... !

Best wishes

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion, I think we were typing at the same time earlier, as I did not see this post and mine is directly under it.

S is still under the weather so a chilled day is required. We are missing athletics and just doing the hairdressers and maybe a quick stroll to get S some more hairgel, Radio times etc
    Yes please - could you send me the details of the memory foam crutch things.. have wrapped face cloths round the crutches for the time being. my hands have been really painful during the night - very little sleep - silly me - I could kick myself (if I could kick!)
    I did that last op - until I bought something - as I wore them out!! Couldn't find my old ones this time round .. which makes me think I had to chuck them - as everything else was all together. My ones this time round are better, but I only use them some of the time, as they do make the handle quite fat to hold.

This link is so you can see them properly http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/sticks-crutches-canes/stick-crutch-accessories/visco-foam-crutch-hand-pads-p-5909.html but I got my on Amazon - they were cheaper because no postage ...
    Had stopped taking the paracetamol on Thursday, but have resumed it again because of my hands ! .. new hip is really good - feels much more 'embedded' now..
    I'm taking them still but for rubbish old op hip, not often for lovely new hip ... Seems like your hands and my older hip are acting up!! Just a to pass on a tip - the physio said with two crutches I was putting too much weight on my hands and not bearing enough through the legs - do you think this is what is affecting your hands?They also do those ergonomic handled crutches - but they are quite expensive ... when you can have NHS style for free.
    I have a little dilemma about lunch with my daughter and family tomorrow - ...! Oooh the planning you have to do when you've had a hip replacement !!
    Tricky one, I know that if I can't go I'll want to go lots more often ... I'm quite lucky though because I'm quite short, I can use most normal toilets unless they are very low. Prefer higher ones though as easy to get on and off at the moment.
    but I did tape my Ped egg to my 'grabber' and had a go at my toes - it was only moderately successful though ..!
    Just wish I could find a way to cut my toenails!!

Oh yes and my sock gadget isn't so good with trainer socks as it is with ordinary ones!!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    marion1952 wrote:
    Thanks very much Speedy
    I had tried it before whilst sitting on the bed and I don't think that helped - so will try sitting on the perching stool .. I could roll the trouser legs up before hand too - so that there is less material to deal with - and then roll them down with the grabber afterwards.. God knows what creased/dusty/dog haired state these linen trousers will be in if I ever manage to get them on!!!
    Mmm thought about dressing after swimming - everything will be wet/grubby after the dressing techniques we are currently forced to adopt!!
    My hospital leaflet gives very minimal information! - something I am going to mention when I have my follow-up appt...
    Good for you. Though you seem to have more written advice than me - I think they need to do graded leaflets ... depending on person's age and level of mobility ..
    I have also had NO physio advice whatsoever since the op and I am sure could do with more intensive exercises , as my leg is still quite 'heavy' when moving it, eg in bed, and I also 'feel it' when I have to lift the leg to step over one of my dogs ...
    I think the very little/no physio phenomena is staggering. Maybe they think if we don't get too mobile, we won't ever wear the new hips out. Last time the physio said as long as we can get to the loo and make a cuppa - then we are considered a success!!

The hospital leaflet says that no special/additional exercises are needed and that walking will provide all the necessary muscle strengthening... !
    Any physio would beggar to differ!!
    Did you have a post op handout of exercises?

Speedy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Marion

I get that debug critical error malarky a lot.

If you look in the tech bit theer are lots of pervious posts on it.

When it happens to me I change forums by using teh skip bit right at the bottom of the page.

Cant help with trousers girls - I used my daughter for mine :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi speedy and Marion,

you definitely should write a book of helpful tips for 'THR's.. :D

I'm just totally amazed...and impressed by the techniques you've invented just to get dressed!
    seems unfair though that more info and advice isn't available from physio or OT......surprising when there are so many peeps going through this op who must all face the same probs. :roll:

sorry to hear S isn't so good .... hope he feels better soon and doesn't miss out on too many activities.

hugs,

Iris xx
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Toni

Oh - thanks for that tip about the debug error message.. I'll look at that ..

Hi Speedy

Nothing in my leaflet about squatting I'm afraid .. gosh, the thought of it makes me cringe at the moment.. I was only given the 3 basic exercises to do - ie - moving the feet to prevent DVT, flexing the foot up and pressing knee into the bed, and the clenching buttocks one...

Hi Iris

Hope things are continuing to progress for you. My hands are not good today (but nowhere near as painful as yours) - I just can't pop the paracetamol out of it's packet today, or turn the door handle - but at least I can open packets of food so I won't starve!!

Are you listening to audio books Iris? I have been listening to Barack Obama's book about his early life and am really enjoying it..

Marion
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Speedy and Marion,

Just a couple of things that could help.

Have you tried microfibre towels? These are very lightweight to use and dry very easily. You have to pat yourself dry rather than rubbing with a normal towel. You can also roll them up very small so are brilliant for going swimming or on holiday. They're generally cost about £7 for a bath towel.

When my knees are really painful and I'm away from home and need the loo I carry with me a small funnel so that I can wee in comfort. :oops: It doesn't matter then if toilet seats are too low or not very nice, as using the little funnel my botty never gets near a grotty seat and I stay clean and tidy too. :wink:

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • speedalong
    Options
    HI Legs, towels sound interesting - do they look different to normal ones? Where did you get yours? Re the funnel thing - intrigued - a special one or just an ordinary one?!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Iris,

and I bet you are equally inventive on "how to" strategies for "wrist folks!"

Marion,

I have lots more exercises than that. They are just standard ones for all THR patients that were handed out at the hospital - we all had the same - so am sure are safe. My physio (the fab one, who comes out, nothing to do with the hospital gave me a few hints - but basically the same exercises.)

In addition to the ones you do;

I also have to lie on the bed and
    1. lift my leg up straight in the air - repetitions of 10 (build up to 10 gradually) - a killer!!
    2. slide my leg out to the side and back, 10 times. If difficult at first - place heel on a plastic bag.
    3. slide heel towards bottom as you bend knee, 10 times - don't break 90 degree rule though!!

Sitting on an upright chair- straighten knee so that leg is stuck out infront of me and down again, repetitions of 10.

Standing (holding on at first to works surface etc , and then gradually reducing how much you need support)
    1. stand on one leg and lift leg up behind you 10 times - keep body upright, doesn't have to be a big lift.
    2. stand on one leg and lift leg out to side and back 10 times.
    3. raise knee (leg bent) 10 times (no more than 90 degrees of course!)
    Then repeat these standing on the other leg ... your THR leg benefits from both doing the exercises and being the weight bearing leg.

Once doing these - then increase how many sets of 10 you do ... (this is my sticking point! one set of each at a session is enough!!)

As for stepping over the dog ... don't know - haven't got a dog :lol::lol: But I do step over S's stuff when he is spread out on the floor. I think doing stairs normally (mine are wide but steep) has really helped my leg strength - especially as I seem to go up and down numerous times in a day..!

Speedy
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    hi Marion,
    like the idea of audio books...where did you get them? can they be down loaded?

when your hands are bad...first make a small slit in back of paracetamol foil blister with a knife...makes em easier to pop/ get out. :wink: you can also still but p/mol in tubs. x

........also change handles on doors to the drop down type...then you can use your elbow(s) to open the door!
    Iris xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    We should have a "top tips" thread!!

Speedy
  • marion1952
    Options
    Gosh Speedy - thanks for those exercises - I HAVE been having an easy time just doing my 3 basic ones haven't I?!!

I have been out to the shopping mall very briefly this afternoon and took your physio's advice and just had one crutch and held it quite lightly (as opposed to yesterday when I held onto 2 crutches very tightly and used them too heavily - no wonder my hands flared up last night!)

Hi Iris

My hands have been pretty good for ages, so it's a shock to have them so useless again at the moment! Thanks for the tips. I have been trying to get a Flash spray cleanser to work this evening, but have given up, and have also given up trying to open a bottle of apple juice, so am drinking water instead... I feel like writing to manufacturers, sometimes, about how they just DON'T consider people who have hand problems.. eg I find the M & S bottles of juice are very very difficult to open (I should really be posting this on the 'post a grump' thread!..

I get the audio books on CD from the local library, or friends lend them to me.. I don't have an Ipod, but am sure you can download them somehow .. Prior to develping RA I was an avid reader, but have to conserve my hands now for work ...

Wishing everyone a pain-free night!!

Marion
  • lindalegs
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    HI Legs, towels sound interesting - do they look different to normal ones? Where did you get yours? Re the funnel thing - intrigued - a special one or just an ordinary one?!

Speedy

Hi Speedy

The towels just look very similar to ordinary ones but feel much softer, they also feel as though they might not dry you but they work so long as you 'pat' or 'blot' dry yourself. I bought mine from Lakeland a while ago but I looked on their website and they don't seem to stock them now. I reckon a friend of mine said she got hers from Tesco so they are widely available now.

The funnel is just an ordinary plastic one and I started using it because I got fed up of trying to crouch and weeing down the side of my leg or wetting my trousers .....so embarrasing and unhygenic :oops: :oops: . I used the small plastic one to start with but now the one I carry about is a smaller stainless steel funnel and is perfect because it's all you need to channel your urine in the right direction and it fits easily into a small bag or pocket :wink:

You can buy a Shewee which is just for this purpose but I couldn't get the knack of using one. Here's the website if you want a look

http://www.shewee.com/newstore/

Hope this helps.

Love, Legs x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Legs,

I'm generally ok as I'm short and so most toilet seats are ok for me in height terms despite hip precautions - worth keeping one in car perhaps incase of emergencies!! Very inventive. I've seen those women's urinals before, always wondered if they worked ... will take a peak again, as never much good at "camping wees!!" It's SO much easier for blokes!!

Speedy
  • lindalegs
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Thanks Legs,

I'm generally ok as I'm short and so most toilet seats are ok for me in height terms despite hip precautions - worth keeping one in car perhaps incase of emergencies!! Very inventive. I've seen those women's urinals before, always wondered if they worked ... will take a peak again, as never much good at "camping wees!!" It's SO much easier for blokes!!

Speedy

Most public toilet are just not nice to sit on ...especially if person before you has dribbled :shock: :oops: :oops: ...so I find it invaluable.

:D
    Love, Legs x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Legs - don't think I use public toilets often ... ugh!!!

Speedy
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Speedy and Marion,

Just a couple of things that could help.

Have you tried microfibre towels? These are very lightweight to use and dry very easily. You have to pat yourself dry rather than rubbing with a normal towel. You can also roll them up very small so are brilliant for going swimming or on holiday. They're generally cost about £7 for a bath towel.

When my knees are really painful and I'm away from home and need the loo I carry with me a small funnel so that I can wee in comfort. :oops: It doesn't matter then if toilet seats are too low or not very nice, as using the little funnel my botty never gets near a grotty seat and I stay clean and tidy too. :wink:

Hope this helps.

What a brilliant idea! Why have I never thought of that The amount of trouser washing i ve done in my time. The Shree things are difficult to use but a funnel gives you a nice target!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    Options
    tkachev wrote:

What a brilliant idea! Why have I never thought of that The amount of trouser washing i ve done in my time. The Shree things are difficult to use but a funnel gives you a nice target!

Elizabeth

Glad I could help Elizabeth, it's good to share these things though people do find it difficult to ask about personal aids. To me it's not alot different from adapted cutlery or anything else we use to make our life easier .....well actually, that's not strictly true, afterall I wouldn't take my knife and fork to toilet with me :shock: :wink:

Luv Legs XX
    Love, Legs x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Just calling in to see the updates on here. Hope S is a little better now and that you have had a reasonable weekend.

Couldn't agree more with Iris and others I think you, Marion and the some of the other contributors here should get a book of tips written, by the people who KNOW how it is cos they have worn the T shirt. I am serious.
    I am fascinated, and I confess a tad worried :? about having to do all this myself somehow one day!! So many things to consider, but I guess fore warned is fore armed and all that.

Do keep the tips coming. I intend to save this thread and some others for future reference and am sure it is helping others too.

Thanks again
    Chris