Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 31. Dec 2020, 18:25
    Options

Evening all

My brother has had a stent fitted this morning..he was awake has well anyhow fluids for a few days..but he us trying to come home..men eh..it wouldnt be fair on his gf..much better with nurses watching over him..

Carol they are lovely photos of your ggc..and like you say they are not little long..hope next year's is a good one for all of us xx

Kath thankyou ..like you say things have and always are moving on with the treatment of cancer..thank god

I am pleased Sally has got the MBE..shes a brilliant actress and like you say a surviver xx

Toni turkey stew..must say we used ours in sandwiches.. but I had seen enough on Christmas day

Yes has you will read about my brother had his stent and all went well he says he is starving though.. but just fluids for now then only certain foods..xx

Joan you didn't swear did you..😅them not allowing your post ..oh well you are here and we know you are ok ..love to all of you xx

Yes let's pray for a much better 2021...

Love to everyone

Ooh we had lots more snow last night so can't get out..❄☃️⛄🌈🌤🙋‍♀️xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options

Joan I am pleased to see all is well just the system playing up. I won't drive in this, but Paul will so he might if I am lucky take us through the drive through Costa or Starbucks for a posh coffee later. I hope you are both well and am very pleased to hear Sally is getting an MBE she has done a lot not just on Corrie with her own cancer battle a few years back.

Kath I tried the Hylo night but find the Xailin much much better. Very greasy but worth it. I use Xailin day, but they aren't as good as the night, but then the night it a gunky gel....🤔The Vizcellose I have never tried so that's interesting thanks. Sorry about the cataract will they do surgery?

France are right like most of Europe and probably the world they are in real trouble with COVID-19

I absolutely LOVE Richard's ticket what a trip he'll have I bet he can't wait. 😁😁😁

Barbara I am so glad your bro has the stent fitted. I hope he gives it a bit before coming home. He and his GF need to feel safe with it first. Much safer now. If his diet is restricted at least the choking will be over.

Stay in snow is dangerous and not worth trying to get out It will thaw in time. I braved a short walk with my walking poles. They have a spike under the ferrules so fairly safe.

Paul had turkey sandwiches the cats (Charley's too) had some and the rest went into the stew. Paul loved it!

It's funny how everyone loves turkey roasts before Christmas then after it everyone has had enough!

Carol! Good to see you and the pics I knew there would be plenty to see🙂

Lillie is fast becoming a young lady bless her! Shocking how fast they grow isn't it? and cheeky little Rubie. Knickers I think she has knickers on her head😂 She's a real character isn't she? The youngest often is. They have to do something to be different from their older siblings! Lucy was our funny one for the same reason.

Smart move making Mr T take Cookie for her jabs. Miss Sleek is due hers again. She will go in for the day and have all the tests being over 10 now....BP....bloods etc bless her😕 I hate doing it, but safety first.

She looks so well there on the back of your chair.

VERY good that your youngest isn't on her own now and is with you both in your bubble. I did feel for her on her own on Christmas day.

Love to everyone Chris Christine Mig and Toady I've heard from Bill - I expect Barbara has too he seems to be doing ok house move in the New Year!

Gone for a new Years' breakfast buffet

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,935
    Options

Happy new year everyone And the Moderator's ((())) I came on earlier just Kath so I went away came back and you are all here (((())))

Kath (((())) sorry you have cataracts the optician says I should have it done but I can see alright I think. love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Carol ((())) lovely photo's love to Mr T ((())) and all your family (((()))

Barbara ((())) that's good the stent has helped your Brother ((())) love to his girlfriend ((())) and your son ((())) Niamh ((())) and Mr B ((()))

Toni ((())) no it's not nice going out you have to wait for the streets to warm our Dad's saying. love to Paul ((()) Charley ((()) Annie (((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari (((())) and P (((()))

love to Bill ((())) Chris (((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Alan (the last of my short stories. It's meant to be amusing but - well, judge for yourself).

I'm in Alan's bad books again. I say again because I'm always in Alan's bad books, or so it seems. Why do I put up with him? I don't know. How did I end up with him? I don't know that either - I don't even remember the first time I met him, he was just sort of well - there. Anyway, to remember meeting him would mean admitting that you had some say in the matter and you don't have any say in the matter - not with Alan. He wheedles his way into your life and takes root there. Anyone who has Daisies growing in their lawn will know exactly what I mean.

We must have got on reasonably well to start with, I think I was even quite fond of him once. But little bits of Alan's influence started to show here and there and it wasn't a good influence. The first time I noticed it was when my car broke down, Alan gave me a lift to work.

"Just until your own car is back on the road." He said, that was three years ago. My car still isn't on the road - well technically it is, it works fine - passed its M.O.T. and everything. I just don't use it any more, I still get a lift to work every day and back home again. He's doing me a real favour, I know because he reminds me every day but when I object and say I'll go in my own car he gets all upset and acts as though I've rejected him.

There are lots of little things like that. Favours he does for me, favours I'd rather go without because I feel as if I'm indebted to him. He quite often tells me how much I owe him but he won't hear of me doing things for myself, not when he is so indispensable to me - his words, not mine.

So why am I in Alan's bad books this time? Well, I know that I said I don't use my car any more but a couple of days ago I did. Someone had slashed Alan's car tyres so he couldn't give me a lift. Instead I gave him a lift. the only problem is, I'm not as good a driver as Alan is. I have that on good authority - Alan’s. Never mind the fact that I haven't driven for three years, I think I could have coped with that. But Alan kept on giving me the benefit of his experience. You know the sort of thing I mean.

"Mind that cyclist. Those lights are going to change any minute. Didn't you see that car coming out of the side street?" I tried to follow his advice I really did, but when he attempted to take charge of the wheel just as I was turning right, I panicked and let go of it. In the confusion I slammed my foot down hard on the accelerator.

Fortunately there was only a large brick wall where we finally came to a halt. We didn't knock anyone down, nor did we hit any other vehicles. Unfortunately though, for Alan that is, it was his side of the car that smashed through the wall.

So I've been sitting here by his hospital bed ever since, listening to the life support machine clicking and bleeping in its effort to keep him alive. The doctors say there is a slim chance that he may come out of his coma, but I can tell that he isn't pleased with me at all. He just lies there with a disgusted look on his face. I can imagine what he'll say if he survives. I say 'if' because - well put it this way - thank goodness these tubes are easier to cut through than Alan's tyres were.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Kitty
    Options

Let's hope it's better than last year.

Toni, did you watch last night's Corrie? I now know who attacked Adam I won't name them in case you plan to watch it on catch up. I rang dad this morning. My brother paid him a surprise visit yesterday, with his son and grandchild in tow. My sister might have nagged him to go. I was a bit cross really because dad invited them in, but kept their distance. But such a risk when you are 90. It's my 70th this year - not saying when.

Joan, my dad is waiting for his second cataract op, his first one failed.

Barbara, I hope your brother manages better with the stent in place.

Vegetable and Oatmeal Goulash

I made this authentic wartime recipe today. I have to admit I dismissed this recipe several times simply because it sounded so dull… BUT let me assure you it is anything but! If you are like me and love vegetables and love comfort food and it’s cold outside… this will hit the spot.

Looking in my fridge I could see root vegetables staring back at me, purchased before Christmas, that needed putting out of their misery, so I used them. This is an incredibly frugal recipe and for lunch will feed four served with a big chunk of fresh bread…

Enjoy!

Vegetable and Oatmeal Goulash

• 1 lb of mixed root vegetables ( I used 1 large potato, 2 parsnips, 2 large carrots)
    • knob of dripping (I used a vegan shortening)
    • 2 oz of coarse oatmeal (porridge oats will do)
    • 1 tsp of meat extract (I used Marmite)
    • 1 pt of vegetable stock
    • mixed herbs, salt and pepper

Method

1. Prepare and dice the vegetables
    2. Fry in dripping until slightly cooked
    3. Add oatmeal and keep stirring until fat is absorbed
    4. Cover with vegetable stock until covered and simmer until vegetables are soft and mixture is real thick (about 45 mins)
    5. Mix in meat extract when cooking
    6. Mix in herbs, salt and pepper to taste when cooking

Serve with a nice big chunk of fresh bread. I served mine with Irish Soda Bread (recipe to come!)

Wartime berry shortbread No 98

Of all the biscuit/cookie type wartime recipes I have created over the many years of recreating 1940s wartime recipes, this is my very favourite indeed. It’s sweet, tasty and filling and the tart berries lift it and make it totally delicious… I’ve made this several times this year using blackberries, raspberries and blueberries…

You can experiment with using a little less sugar and fat as it will use quite a bit of your ration, but I prefer to keep to the recipe below and just have it less often, for special occasions

Berry Shortbread

• 8 oz (250 grams or 2 cups) of plain flour (I use 80% wholewheat/meal and 20% white which is as close as you can get to national flour available to the British)
    • 4 oz margarine (115 grams or 1/2 cup)
    • 4 oz sugar (115 grams or 1/2 cup)
    • large handful of small berries (fresh not frozen)

Method

1. Melt the margarine until runny
    2. Add in the sifted flour and sugar and stir until bound together (if mixture is too dry add a little water)
    3. Knead until mixed together well
    4. Flatten out the mixture with your hands
    5. Sprinkle the berries evenly out over the top
    6. Very gently fold the dough in and knead very gently
    7. Press gently into a shortbread tin ( 7 inches)
    8. Put into oven at 180C for about 20 minutes until golden brown
    9. Remove and cool in tin for 20 minutes, cut up then remove to wire rack until cooled

Makes 8-10 slices

Note: Being vegan this is a very easy recipe to adapt. Use an organic vegan margarine (so avoiding Monsanto’s GMO soy beans) and if you dislike using a refined sugar there are many unrefined raw alternatives in most stores.

Enjoy.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all Happy New Year..

Niamh is here..and my brother is doing well so far..they have explained they don't know how long the stent will last but for ir now all is fine

Kath thankyou I really enjoyed the short story.. now that is sayng something because I'm not a big reader..that Alan is like some i know.. Mr no it all..not Mr B ..🤣

Hope dad will be OK at least ge kept his distance.. so it's the big one for you this year mine was last..were does time go thankyou for the brilliant recipes yes i saw who done it.. 😁xx

Joan thankyou all is OK with my brother for now..did you have lots if snow.. we had a shock yesterday morning we got more ..love to all if you xx

Toni thankyou ..Paul is very well looked after turkey sandwiches and then stew...

Our snow is melting but very slowly ..I was telling Mr B about the walking poles with spikes I think I will get one and one for him then we can have a walk in the snow xx

I hope that Elliott is doing ok and had a good Christmas and Mike got his dinner..

Live to everyone

Xxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I hope that Elliott is doing ok and had a good Christmas

Elliott came home yesterday after his latest round of chemo thanks.

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone!

Great news that Elliott is safely home after his treatment Mike. I hope he enjoys being with his family and recovering from the chemo.

I love the goulash Kath! they had Hungarian food in wartime?! Wow 🙂I'm impressed and if I hadn't used up all my veg stock cubes I would be making that today myself. Paul's turkey stew and my vegan sausage casserole used up my remainder. Tesco on 7th so it's in my basket. Shortbread I make a fair bit we both love it, but Paul is back on his diet on Monday so I'd be eating it indefinitely on my own! Can you see teh little doggie's face peeking near the tin?

I saw Coronation street so know who 'did it' even if for now it's Gary who is getting the blame. I wonder whether this will stretch Craig Tinker's morals🤔

Your Dad is naughty my Ex MIL does the same if you go to drop something off. They say 'Oh I'm not worried' but I am! and who knows? any one of us could be carrying it the new strain is 50% more pass-onable I heard.

Ignore the 'special' birthday it will come and go soon enough. I thought you were maybe coming up 20😉 Must be I'm 17!

Loved the story. Alan got his comeuppance being so controlling. We all know or have known someone like him. They make it so difficult to escape from them being so 'indispensable'🙄 Shem Yasmeen didn't spot similar behaviour in Geoff.

Barbara let's hope the stent lasts a good while for your bro. Will they check on it for him or will he know if it starts to fail?

Yes try the walking poles they do make you feel much safer. Not talking a fast walk or anything - just some exercise albeit slowly. It helps my back to keep moving and this snow still hasn't shifted.😠 We had it two days running too. Bloomin stuff loved it when we were kids didn't we?

Lovely to have Niamh there with you she is just the tonic you all need I bet. Will she help you put the decorations away as well as putting them up?

Hi Joan your Dad is right I wait for the roads to warm up too - for other people to warm them up for me! We need some warmer weather to melt it, but it's icy again this morning🙄It's good you can see well enough with your cataracts long may that last. Love to you and Sue the dogs and the carers. ((())) We watched Diana's funeral on Netflix yesterday both of us bawling again it was such an emotional time.

Breakfast now I think it's Saturday so we will have Aidan's French breakfast:

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

. Did you know Mark Eden died yesterday ( Alan Bradley ) in corrie yes I watched it.

Kath ((())) how are your problems ((())) your Dad is so good at his age ((())) Love to Chris and Anita ((())) Val ((()))

Barbara ((())) that's good the stent is helping him long may it continue (((()))) love to his girlfriend ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and Mr B ((()))

Toni ((())) you must have had a lot of snow (()) we only had a bit. Love to Paul ((()) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and P ((()))

love to Carol ((()) Chris ((()) Mike ((())) Mig ((())

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Good Morning it is so bright today. 🌞

Barbara, does sunshine make a difference to your eyesight? So lovely that Niamh is with you, she is such a jolly wee person. I'm pleased you managed to read the story, probably because it's so short. Yes, who'd have thought Fay dun it. Mind you, that Ray would have deserved a clonk on the head.

Toni, most days I feel much older. If I could move around easier, I wouldn't mind. I quite like the idea of being 70. 69 sounds so wishy washy. I don't think dad would worry about catching Covid. He's been waiting to pop his clogs since mum passed on. He said as much in the card he wrote for her funeral. Something like "I'll be joining you soon Grace" that was back in 2010!

I expect soldiers in WW2 might have brought recipes back from Hungary hen they returned home from fighting. According to Wikipedia,

"Hungarian cuisine has influenced the history of the Magyar people, and vice versa. The importance of livestock and the nomadic lifestyle of the Magyar people, as well as a hearkening to their steppe past, is apparent in the prominence of meat in Hungarian food and may be reflected in traditional meat dishes cooked over the fire like goulash (in Hungarian "gulyás", lit. "cattleman's (meal)"), pörkölt stew and the spicy fisherman's soup called halászlé are all traditionally cooked over the open fire in a bogrács (or cauldron). In the 15th century, King Matthias Corvinus and his Neapolitan wife Beatrice, influenced by Renaissance culture, introduced new ingredients such as sweet chestnut and spices such as garlic, ginger, mace, saffron and nutmeg, onion and the use of fruits in stuffings or cooked with meat. Some of these spices such as ginger and saffron are no longer used in modern Hungarian cuisine.  At that time and later, considerable numbers of Saxons (a German ethnic group), Armenians, Italians, Jews, Poles, Czechs and Slovaks settled in the Hungarian basin and in Transylvania, also contributing with different new dishes. Hungarian cuisine was influenced by Austrian cuisine under the Austro-Hungarian Empire; dishes and methods of food preparation have often been borrowed from Austrian cuisine, and vice versa. Some cakes and sweets in Hungary show a strong German-Austrian influence. All told, modern Hungarian cuisine is a synthesis of ancient Uralic components mixed with West SlavicBalkanAustrian, and German. The food of Hungary can be considered a melting pot of the continent, with a culinary base formed from its own, original Magyar cuisine."

Joan, is the forum playing up again?

Mike, I'm so pleased that Elliott is home. 💜

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 148
    Options

Bright days and a sprinkling of snow have made the Christmas & New Year period memorable for good reasons and I continue to read about your varied trials, tribulations and triumphs.

I feel to know you well enough to wish you all the best of years in 2021 with the end of the worst aspects of 2020 in sight. 😀

You kindly enquired about my/our recent 'doings' so I'll try to summarise as it's good to know that others empathise with what has been a rollercoaster time for most of us.

Back in August 2020 we arranged the private sale of our too-large Derbyshire home to a lovely family who needed space in which to spread. All was progressing well until, on the eve of exchanging contracts, our friends' buyers unexpectedly pulled out of their purchase. 😒

We had, meanwhile, arranged to rent a property in our new Durham area in order not to hold up others while we found our next home so we were committed to that. Next our prospective buyers also withdrew from their agreement with us and took their own house off the market.

Much of our packing was done so we left an estate agent to oversee our house sale and decamped to the rental house where we have spent a pleasant but rather disconnected Christmas - being, at long last, close to one of our families but unable to spend the intended time with them. (Seeing how serious an illness Covid has been for one of the Durham family's other grandparents - who was pronounced unlikely to survive when admitted to hospital - convinces us of the importance of self-isolation until the vaccine is available to us as over-75s.)

So we are starting a new year in a new part of the country with a sense of limbo in that we have two houses, neither of which feels like 'home'. On the plus side there is positive movement in the Derbyshire housing market and we have viewed enough Durham properties to have made a shortlist from which to select as soon as we are in a position to make an offer. Additionally the bout of sciatica that hit me some weeks ago is showing signs of retreating - always a relief! ....and the Covid vaccine gets ever closer for us. It can't be bad!!!! 🙂

I live in hope that 2021 will bring good things for all and, in the words of a USA poet

"may we all be changed for the better - because of the worst."

Stay safe - Crinkly X

• barbara12
    Options

Evenung all

My brother had soup yesterday and creamy custard full of calories he has spent most of his life dieting now he has to eat more calories...

Toni a nice Saturday breakfast of croissants ...thankyou..I think My brother will know when it's starting to fail.. but for now.. he is pleased he can eat something ..he might be home tomorrow or Monday

Niamh has gone home now.. she has been loving the snow..

I use a crutch at the min to walk...but very interested in the poles..just wish Mr B was then we can both go for a walk..yes stay clear of people for now..its not worth it xx

Joan I didn't know that Audrey was married to Mark Eden..he was a brilliant actor..thankyou again for all the hugs..love to all if you xx

Mike I'm so please Elliott was home with his family for Christmas ...hope you are doing ok meal wise xx

Kath thankyou for the info on Hungary food..I need to try the stew

My eyes are awful in the sun ..can't see anything..so I wear strong sun glasses but half the time I forget them

Your poor dad...all those years he has wanted to be with his wife..bless ..

Poor Gary took the blame.. xx

Crinkly what a time you have had with your house..its horrible when people back out on the last min..hopefully it will sorted very soon..and you can find your forever home xx

Better go before my eyes do

Love to everyone xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone. More snow here overnight, but we will cope one way or another.

Joan - Alan Bradley has died?! I googled him and gosh he was much older than I thought at 92! Can that be right? I suppose i put him in his 70s, but 92? Anyway my lovely neighbour rang for a natter yesterday which was nice and safe too. Love to you and Sue ((())) xxx

• frogmorton
    Options

Kath That is interesting. I grew up on a lot of the food mentioned in the article obviously Goulash (we called it goy-ash) and  pörkölt  but my favourite was always Káposztás Tészta (car-push-tash.tess-ta)

and the best of all is it's vegan so I can still eat it!

That Ray did deserve a bop on his head, but Fay of all people😲 we were sure it was Simon. Do you reckon Craig's loyalty will be tested?

My Mum was the same when we lost our dad. The risks some people are taking though with COVID - we have phones! Really it's just not worth it is it?

Barbara your poor eyes - have they always struggled with sun? Mine water if it's too bright, but when they started to get worse reading wise it was always better abroad with more light. I need to get mine tested when all this is over. Dentist, opticians, Drs I have lots to sort!

I am so glad you bro can eat safely now even if it is sloppy stuff (for now?). I'm sure he can live with that. I expect they will let him home tomorrow it being Monday.

A lot of people are reluctant to use walking aids, but the walking poles are used by hikers anyway. Tell him they burn off extra calories they are exercising your arms too which has to be good. Maybe get him some snow shoes and you the poles?

I bet you miss Niamh all the noise and life she brings. I bet she does love snow. Do you know yet whether she will be back in school next week? I think 'they' ought to delay myself.

Crinkly you poor thing! What a time you've had! Two homes now but feeling sort of 'homeless' too🙄I can understand that. Sounds like a lot of you have been affected by one person pulling out. I hate 'chains'😠

It is good news that you are nearer to some family even if restrictions mean that you can actually see each other yet. In the long run it will really be lovely. I hope the Durham relative has survived?

The sooner we are all vaccinated the better in my book. I am in my 50s so expecting to wait a while, but my lung condition might push me up the queue a bit 🤞 We will all feel much safer when we are jabbed.

We would love to hear from you more in 2021 when you can manage it and that quote from that USA poet says it all - I very much hope we are all changed for the better. HAPPY safe New Year to you too.

Right it's Sunday...we've eaten a lot this week, but shall we have a cooked breakfast?

poached the eggs to make it a bit healthier!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

. Kath ((())) no i'm alright thank you. His your Dad near to having the injection I hope so is age ((())) love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((()))

Crinkly ((())) I'm sorry about your problems with the houses let's hope it's soon sorted.

Barbara ((())) I'm pleased it's working out for your brother ((())) love to his girlfriend ((())) your son ((())) and Niamh (((())) how is Mr B's back ((()))

Toni ((())) we don't know much about the vaccine but then we did not know a lot about the flu one when that one came out did we. love to Paul (((())) Charley ((())) Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((()))Tia (((()))) kari. ((())) and P (((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

love to Bill ((())) Carol (((())) Chris (((()))) Mig (((()))) Mike (((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options

Evenings all..its been a lovely sunny day only very cold..so many people out walking its nice to see

Joan thankyou...

you are right we just took the flu vaccine for what it was..hopefully they can start vaccinating more people very soon.. love to all of you xx

Toni thankyou ..my brother came home this afternoon and they got him a taxi...we got them some shopping in.. foods that are on his list ..he is just happy to get anything down..

that was some breakfast.. can you imagine working your way through it 😅

Yes its quiet without Niamh ..I agree think they should delay school..Boris himself said children were catching this new variant more than the other 🙄

Nice to have a chat with your neighbour..now who was it that was Hungarian in your family..mum or dad's side ...I remember you going to visit them.

My eyes have only just got so sensitive to the sun something to do MD..xx

No Kath hope all is well xx

And like to everyone xxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning Everyone.

Well today is the 4th of Jan Paul is back on his diet which means I am sort of too 

🙄

we ate as much as we could over the weekend and I will freeze the rest.

Kath I do hope all is well with you and Chris. I think I have made a mistake and ordered tesco and ocado in one week. MInd you I order for Kari and my lovely neighbours so will still appear to spend plenty. Problem is I can only get my UHT soya milk and tessierre (French) cherry squash from Ocado so I have them from time to time anyway.

Joan you are quite right we did just take the flu vaccine on trust and will do the same with this COVID one when we get the chance to take it. You are probably right Kath's Dad should be soon given his age. You take care now sending love and ((())) to you and Sue xxx

Barbara excellent news that your bro is home - isn't it great that they discharge people now on Sundays?! They used to make you wait till Monday. Well done stocking them up with his foods. I expect he can have soup. Can he have anything more solid? Far safer isn't it. I bet his GF is over the moon to have him home.

I know education is very very important, but this time of year a week or two to get the figures settling would be so easy. The children all have new toys to play with don't they they'll be fine. This new strain is so infectious it's terrifying.

My Dad was Hungarian and us 2nd generation Hungarian and proud of it. Mum was French so I am a proper Heinz 57!

Hi Mike if you pop by I hope you are well (Vixen too) and that it's a while before Elliott is back in the hospital ((()))

Carol I hope all is well with you too and the family and Cookie is still chatting away to you being good company. I am about to book poor Sleek in for her check-up.

Chris I hope you had a good festive season and are feeling ok after your hospital stay ((()))

Is anyone else going to be watching their weight after overindulging?

We can have unhealthy breakfasts in here can we it's all calorie free!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 4. Jan 2021, 07:58
    Options

Hi Mike if you pop by I hope you are well (Vixen too) and that it's a while before Elliott is back in the hospital ((()))

Morning froggie, always pop in at least twice a day even if I don't post anything. I am bearing up under the strain thanks; Vixen has ensconced herself on my wheelchair for the past few days as it is stored in my bedroom beside a radiator! Elliott still has another 4 chemo sessions planned which he will have the 4 hour trip to Bristol to receive, not sure of the timescale as it depends on his blood counts but I believe it is once every 3 or 4 weeks. I will not be watching my weight as I did not particularly over-indulge, even if I did I can't be bothered!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Barbara ((())) that's good news your brother came home yesterday (((())) love to his girlfriend (((())) I bet she will have a smile on her face all day ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((()))

a man is coming to day to fix my bedroom radiator there's no heat in the pipes.

Toni (((()))) has all the snow gone there. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) Annie (((())) and the carers (((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari ((()) and P (((())))

love to Kath (((()))) Bill (((()))) Chris ((())) Mike (((()))) Mig (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

What a day Sunday! I upgraded my virus checker. I have Avast Ultimate now ,It clears everything, even Malware. It has its own browser too. Chris uses MacAfee, which is pretty good too.

Mike, what a mix up. I do hope you get something sorted out soon.

As for the vaccine, if the Oxford one is 'live' I won't be allowed to have that one.

Joan, so they are coming to fix your radiators. I should think so too. I'm so angry that you have had such problems with them!

Barbara, I am so pleased your brother has managed to eat something. Egg Custard should be nourishing. I'll try to find him a suitable recipe. His GF is probably very relieved too. My mum used to have liquidized meals and high protein drinks, until she gave up eating altogether. During her last weeks she was only given mouth care.

Stir fried chicken

and vegetables

Ingredients

2 tbsp sesame or peanut oil

720g chicken breast cut into 2cm chunks

1 spanish onion, quartered, separate out all the

layers

1 clove of garlic, finely chopped or crushed

2cm x 2cm piece of fresh ginger cut into matchstick

size strips or 2 tsp minced ginger

1 small red chili, de-seeded and finely chopped

1 red capsicum cut into long strips

1 carrot cut into long strips

200g of sugar snap peas

1 bunch of baby bok choy

2 tbsp salt reduced soy sauce

½ cup dry sherry or Chinese rice wine

1 lime cut into wedges to serve

4 tsp sesame seeds to serve

Method

1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large wok, add the chicken

and toss until just golden. Remove from the wok

and set aside.

2. Heat the remaining oil in the wok and add the onion,

garlic, ginger and chili and toss for 2-3 minutes.

3. Add the capsicum and carrot and continue to toss

for another 2-3 minutes.

4. Add the sugar snap peas and keep tossing, then

add the chicken back into the wok and continue

to toss.

5. Combine the soy sauce and Chinese rice wine and

add to the wok, continuing to toss.

6. Add the bok choy and toss until it’s just wilted.

Remove the wok from the heat and immediately

serve into 4 bowls.

7. Sprinkle each bowl with sesame seeds and serve

with a wedge of lime. Enjoy!

Toni, thank you for all those chuckie eggs. I watched 'Love Your Weekend' with Alan Titchmarsh yesterday. He did a piece about ducks and which lay the best eggs. Apparently when you hear ducks quacking, that's the females. I also watched a program about the writer of Mary Poppins preswntered by Victoria Coren. It was followed by the film 'Saving Mr Banks'.

Have a reasonably good day.

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all..another sunny cold day here

Toni thankyou for the runny eggs..perfect

I had to laugh at you and Paul eating has much has you could over the weekend.. 😅

Hungarian and French how nice 2 beautiful country's ..I remember well you visiting family in Hungary.. have you any in France ..

We expected my brother to be discharge on Monday ..but he's home and has he eats the mesh stent will stretch slightly and let small well chewed lumps down.. if they get stuck more fizzy pop..

How is P doing I hope her pain is not to bad bless her xx

Joan thankyou my brothers GF is over the moon ..she really is an angel and has her own health issues..I hope you Sue and the doggies are doing ok ..do the doggies like the snow or did you not get any..they had better fix that radiator fir goodness sake xx

Mike I hope all goes well for Elliot..it can't be easy on his parents coming and going bless ..Vixen has it made there..they always find the best spots..xx

Kath thanks for the recipe..I need to healthy eat for my eyes so lots if green so I love sti frys..think it will be hot and miss with my brothers eating but at least he has had plenty of practice...xx

Better stop looking at this screen

Love to everyone

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening all

Hope everyone is ok, We are all ok and youngest daughter was able to be with us at new year, of course like everyone else we are now under lockdown again for 6 weeks it seems. I’m not sure if I said but day before New Year’s Eve one of the tubes for my hearing aids got twisted where it screws into the aid itself so called audiology and the sent me out a new pair of tubes which thankfully arrived today, The GC and GGC are all ok. Our GS Started a new job on New Year’s Eve working four nights on and four nights off. Cookie is still having conversations with me, only have to open something a drawer pill packet and she’s there on the chair looking over my Shoulder. Go out the room and she follows . My armchair I always sit in is no longer mine it’s shared 😀😀 she sits on the back of it most of the time, however As soon as I get up she is in the chair. Funny thing is as soon as I come back in and walk toward the chair he gets out and onto the back again,

A couple of Cookie pics today and one of Mr with a Christmas tree present from youngest daughter,

Well it’s nearly time for bed so I must rap this post up

love And Sparkles to you all ❤️❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone.

Back in lockdown though i know that will make very little difference to most of us here. I won't say much just that I am relieved 😌

Joan I hope that this final time your radiator is sorted and you are warm enough. Yes thanks most of the snow has finally gone - phew! I am going to take P's doggie for a regular walk now he walks beautifully doesn't really need a lead. ((())) xxx

Mike Vixen is a cheeky one! Heat and Dad's seat! My puss is the same she likes my chair(s) the one I use the laptop on and my recliner. I think it's because they smell of us and they love us.🐱 Good that Elliott is doing ok and only 4 more rounds of chemo to go. They are hitting it hard, but that is good he is a tough lad (((()))) to them all and you too.

Kath you found something decent to watch? I am impressed i have been watching rubbish mostly or listening to the radio/my audiobooks.

So it's the female ducks who quack then? Not the male ones.Interesting.

I will do the stir-fry minus the chicken maybe🤔 I love crunchy veggies. Not so good for Barbara's bro though.

I have Norton online virus protection - shame it doesn't work on COVID-19 😁 They will give you the right vaccine i am sure and it shouldn't be too long as you are in one of the top 4 groups to be done first.

Barbara so he can have soups maybe shepherd's pie that sort of thing with maybe extra gravy your bro? I am so happy for him he is home with his GF supporting one another. Do they have any pets I wondered to keep her company while he was in?

Trust me Paul was definitely eating as much as he could before i 'dealt with' the unhealthy stuff!!! Mostly I froze what i could so it can be eaten sparingly!

Men eh. Present company excepted Mike of course.

Glad you enjoyed the runny eggs - those would be good for your bro - lots of protein🤔

Carol lovely pics of Cookie she is definitely a Mummy's girl bless her. I was just saying to Mike Sleek is the same I think they love us and our smell and body heat makes them want to 'look after' our seats!

You didn't mention the hearing aid tubes. I hope it wasn't the masks causing that problem? Glad all sorted now though.

Mr T looks good with his wall plaque - Battersea born and bread then?! Not teh dogs home though I take it!

I am very pleased for your daughter that she has you two in her bubble. My sister has her son and DIL. I only drop food supplies off for her never go in. I think she'd have had more company from me, but Paul's job is more dangerous with travelling for her. Like you she has asthma.

Anyway breakfast:

potato 🥞

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

We are having new radiators he's coming on Friday to do the measurements unless he's stopped by the virus rules.

Kath ((())) so you have to wait for the other vaccine. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) Val ((())) and your Dad (((()))

Carol ((())) Cookie trusts you both now he is a lovely looking cat. Love to Mr T (((()))

Barbara (((()))) you are going through such a lot with your eyes and your brother's (((()))) problem's (((())) and the virus ((()))) we will get through it. love to your son (((())) and Niamh (((()))) love to Mr B ((())))

Toni (((())) how is your back now ((())) love to Paul ((())) Charley ((()))Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and P (((())) and your neighbours (((()))

love to Bill ((())) Chris ((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

An interesting but possibly controversial item on https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55228999

Amazon plots a course into the healthcare industry

By Sooraj Shah

Technology of Business reporter

I wonder......

Joan, I'm not even sure I would be safe having the other one. I'd rather just stay home! Holly did our little shop this morning, she wore her mask and socially distance. Radio Times, Paracetamol and cakes - she's a good neighbour. We'll be on pins until you get your new radiators.

Toni, Coronation Street isn't rubbish. I'm also watching my favourite Father Brown and Midsommer Murders. All repeats. But Nancy Carroll (Lady Felicia) said in an interview that they are preparing to film a new series - and Sid will be in it, and Flambeau. Esme is devastated about the schools being closed again. She misses her little friends.

Carol, Lovely pictures of a very thoughtful Cookie. a lovely post altogether. Mr T looks very happy with his Battersea sign.

Barbara, I couldn't find any suitable recipes for your brother, that one was off a heart website, here are some tips from the Macmillan.

Here are some tips to add energy to meals:

• When you are at the supermarket,

choose full-fat foods instead of ‘diet’,

‘low fat’ or ‘light’ foods.

• Fry your foods in oil or ghee

(a type of butter).

• Add extra butter, margarine or

oil to bread, potatoes, pasta and

cooked vegetables.

• Add extra cheese to sauces and extra

paneer (a type of cheese) to curries.

• Add cream, sour cream, plain yoghurt,

mascarpone or crème fraîche to sauces,

soups and meat dishes.

• Add whole or blended beans, lentils

or peas to curries and stews.

• Add evaporated milk, condensed milk

or cream to desserts and hot drinks.

• Have cream or ice-cream with desserts.

• Add peanut butter, chocolate spread,

tahini, honey or jam to bread, toast,

crackers and biscuits.

and a book to download. https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/stories-and-media/booklets/recipes-for-people-affected-by-cancer

Sending hugs to you all.