Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Blimey Mike that's bad £60 is a lot of money. I hope you get DLA (PIP) mobility component because that's wiped a huge chunk out in one go! Of course it would be a Wednesday, but at least it is happening.((())) Still raining here My puss is not happy at all how about Vixen?

SOMEONE TURN THE RAIN OFF!!!😫

Kitty you do indeed always try to help everyone. It is so kind and makes us feel 'known' as well as supported if you understand what i mean?

I bet dad was grumpy 12 stitches is a lot he really must have had a shock and probably feels a bit silly too and his age ((()))

Nice picture of him👴

Reshmi thanks for doing the tea. That's your job now 🙂

Charley my eldest used to want to marry me! It was adorable. It just means they love us so much bless them.

I am glad paracetamol and sleep helped you ((()))I hope today is a good one.

Morning Barbara your brother is a walking miracle. Aidan would have been so pleased for you all. He is amazing.

Imagine that abe to go on holiday!

Well done Grandad 10 out of 10 for his bacon butties!

Done nothing but rain here for 2 days although i am hoping for some sunshine about 6/7pm when it's too late!!

The ring doorbell battery has needed changing for days but its too wet to stand and do that.

P loved the video. She is not feeling quite so left out I hope.

Joan it's your birthday? dare we ask which one. Please don't worry if it's too rude. You share your birthday with my lovely neighbour!!!! Would you believe it?! I will get baking.....

Right it's Sunday so let's be greedy!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 8. Aug 2021, 06:44
    Options

Morning gang. Yes Froggie, I get PIP so can't complain really, I think I can claim mileage to get to the hospital but won't cos that is what PIP is for. The main thing is getting the darn x-ray so the medics can try to sort my neck out, it is over 11 years since I last saw a neurosurgeon. Perhaps if the neck gets sorted out I may be able to cope with the rest of the pain a bit better; the past few days have been the worst I have had for pain for ages and I feel like quaffing at least half a bottle of Oramorph but won't as I am trying to cut back on extra Morphine above my twice daily Zomorph. Sunny here today so Vixen will be out I expect. Have a nice one peeps.

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 4,036
    Options

Hi Barbara thanks, luckily the lifting of heavy shopping is a rare thing for me, I wouldn’t have done it at all, but my my poor mum has a bad knee, because she has an injury and her stomach hurts from when she had transplant op, my back did indeed hurt, but that’s ok now, thanks Barbara. It’s nice and cold over here, what’s your weather like? Bye for now, take care.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni, that’s ok but what is my payment for tea? Maybe a few nice pink cars I can sell on eBay, lol? That’s sweet, yes, kids do indeed love us, copy words and use them inventively, I agree, he also said that all the jungle animals get granny married and then say “roar”, well even animals need a hobby I guess, lol. Thanks, today, I’m doing some chores and stuff, a bit boring, but I’m glad it’s cold. Have a nice day , take care.

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,926
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) your Dad does not look 90 he is good ((())) it's raining here good job your roof was done love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((()) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara (()))) people who have never had Arthritis don't know what it's like and they don't know what you have to do to help it. Good luck to your brother (())) I hope it will help him ((())) love to your son ((()) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((()))) and his girlfriend ((())) yes it's our birthday tomorrow

Reshmi ((())) have a good day is it raining there take care.

Toni ((())) have a good day and enjoy your coffee out ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Mike (((())) and vixen sorry about you having to pay that money for a taxi ((()))

Love to Chris ((())) Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options

Toni ((())) I just saw your post that's lovely Charley saying that ((())) we will be 80 it's not rude.

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 8. Aug 2021, 11:34
    Options

Sorry, but I've been playing games (so unlike me). and chatting to Jonathan. So I'll just pop to the British Heart Foundation website for some food.

Roast chocho with shallots

vegan and cholesterol busting

Category: Snack/side dish | Serves: 4

Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 45 minutes

INGREDIENTS

4 whole chayote (also known as christophene or chocho)

1 tablespoon olive oil

150g shallots

1/2 teaspoon chilli powder

1 teaspoon garlic puree

Black pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 / 200 C / 400 F. Halve chochos lengthwise, removing seeds. There is no need to peel the skin.
    2. Cut into thick wedges and peel shallots. Cover evenly with chilli powder, garlic, black pepper and olive oil.
    3. Place wedges on a non-stick baking tray and roast for 20 minutes, flip wedges and roast a further 10-15 minutes, until golden brown and tender.

Love and hugs to everyone.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Hi all we had lunch out so I am happy and was lots of space in the pub..

Toni thankyou fir the mega breakfast ... it the same here rain abd more rain, I need to get into the garden

It will mean a lot to P being kept up to date with things especially recorded

Aidan would gave been pleased fir my brother ..he was so caring xx

Mike we have notice its a last resort for xrays ..I sometimes wonder if its our age ...I hope you get something sorted very soon xx

Reshmi it's lovely you helping mum ..just be carful it feels like winter here 🙄xx

Joan nearly 80 you two look so well ..must be your attitude and good genes xx

Kath I have never heard of chayote..must look it up xx

Love ti everyone xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    edited 9. Aug 2021, 05:55
    Options

A VERY Special Happy Birthday to our twins Joan and her lovely sister Sue!

I had a tiny feeling we were due a special one Joan ((())) xxx

Morning Mike. You had SUN?! Wow! Rain for us most of the day yet again util about 7pm when it's too late. My puss was out a couple of times back in soaked as per usual I can't catch her! The neurosurgeon may well be able to help. Things have moved on a lot in 11 years and your neck has probably too but not in a good way😕

Barbara I am so pleased you were able to eat out safely. I bet it feels good. Hope the breakfast didn't fill you up first

Make sure you leave space for Joan and Sue's cake today!

Aidan was a lovely man very caring and also useful because being medically trained he used to be able to to tell us what stuff meant. Ah well.

I desperately want to be in the garden too. Patience Toni!

Kitty Kat I hope Jonathan is doing ok now? Nice to chat to family and you are perfectly entitled to!!!❤️

That dish looks yum! I googled the ingredients Choco don't do it! google chayote instead. the other brings up some illegal drug - the BHF wouldn't be advocating that😂

I am thinking I will try it - why not. The vegetable I mean of course.

Reshmi it IS cold dark and miserable. Another week of builders too woe is me! Your nephew actually sounds adorable - probably exhausting but adorable all the same🙂

You can have as much calories free cake as you like in exchange for getting the tea on!

You are good lifting shopping for your Mum i can see why with all she has had done ((()))

Right I really must get something done!

With all that cake to eat when Sue and Joan get here I think maybe just toast for breakfast?

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

I never thought we would get to be 80 we are going to the pub with our friend thank you for thinking of us.

Kath (((()))) I hope you have a good day and Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad (((()))

Barbara ((())) thank you for thinking of us ((())) we have sun to day I hope you will have so you can go in the garden. Love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) thank you for the cake and for thinking of us ((())) Happy birthday to your neighbour ((())) we have sun so your builders could be working. Love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Reshmi ((())) have good day take care

Love to Chris ((())) Carol ((())) and Mike ((())) and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Morning all, I’m on my iPad again. I’ve downloaded a thing called Country Cottage fro Jacque Lawson. I have it on my IPad and my laptop. You play games to win points. The points allow you to clean and tidy the cottage and repair it, then decorate. It’s rather difficult, I haven’t got past the first room yet, and there’s the garden to tidy too.

yes, Jonathan and Dawn still have problems, so I hope my administrations will help somewhat.

Joan, 80 years young and such fun to be with. I hope you have an enjoyable day. We have sun here too.

Barbara, I don’t know half of what recipes I choose. I leave all that to Toni.

Reshmi, I saw your post but then it disappeared before I read it. I think my iPad ate it. 😍

Toni, I’m waiting for the district nurse again! They seek her here, they seek her there. I search for the DN everywhere! It might be today, it might be tomorrow, but I’ll just sit here filled with sorrow. Sorry, that was rubbish. Now to my favourite restaurant for som lunch.

from the British Heart Foundation

Tuscan bean and vegetable stew

Category: Main meal | Serves: 2

Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes 

INGREDIENTS

2 tsp olive or rapeseed oil 

4-6 shallots, sliced 

1 small red pepper, deseeded and chopped 

1 clove garlic, crushed (optional) 

2 small carrots, sliced 

1 stick celery, chopped 

227g (8oz) can chopped tomatoes in rich natural juice (or chopped whole tomatoes)

150ml (1/4 pint) homemade or reduced-salt vegetable stock 

5 tbsp medium-dry cider (or extra vegetable stock) 

1 tbsp tomato puree 

1 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning 

Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste 

420g (15oz) can butter beans in water, drained and rinsed 

85g (3oz) French beans, trimmed and cut into short lengths

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. 
    2. Heat olive oil in a flameproof, ovenproof casserole dish. Add shallots, red pepper, garlic (if using), carrots and celery; cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
    3. Stir in tomatoes, stock, cider, tomato puree, herb seasoning and black pepper; bring to the boil. Cover, transfer casserole to oven and bake for 45 minutes. 
    4. Remove from oven; stir in butter beans and green beans. Re-cover; return to oven and bake for a further 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. 

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh
    Options

Hi Joan, warm but windy here, thanks, I’m feeling a bit under weather today, but nothing serious, i hope you have a nice day too.

• bosh
    Options

Nice recipe Kathleen, you take care

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara thanks, oh no, like winter, here in morning it was hot and cold, sunshine then cold breeze, pretty odd really. You have a good afternoon too.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni , I’m not really answering properly as I’m so tired, but great cakes you made, real talent there, happy birthday Joan and Sue, have a great day, yes n is exhausting but lovely, ok I’m signing off before I fall asleep, I eat way too much cake, got to reduce somehow. Tc xx

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 9. Aug 2021, 14:29
    Options

Happy 80th Birthday to our Lovely twins Joan and Sue I sent an e cards Hope you got it 🎂🥂🧊🧊xx

Toni what a brilliant cake, for Joan and Sue..it really is something to celebrate

Yes our Aidan will always be missed xx

Joan you enjoy your pub meal ..abd have a lovely day 💕💕xx

Reshmi I hope you can get a little nap this afternoon it will help you say me that never does..xx

Kath you are busy doing the cottage up ..I used to sent Jaquie lawson cards they are so lovely..you enjoy but don't over do it 😅.thankyou for the tuscan stew recipe xx

Love to all xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Good Morning everyone looks a much better day today😊

Reshmi I do hope you can feel a little less tired today. It will be your PsA it wipes you out like most inflammatory arthritides do at times. Give in to it have a rest - set an alarm if you need to ((()))

Thank you I think my icing skills are getting better and better😉 Good news is of course that the cake in here is 100% calorie free.

Joan how was your and Sue's special day? Did you enjoy your meal out? As Barbara says 80 is such and achievement. Your parents will be looking down so proud of you both. ((())) xxx

Morning Mike I hope the vocal cords are ready and lubricated with plentiful supplies of tea and what sweet treats do you have to tempt your lovely home help Sue is it? Chirrup to Vixen. The 1st of September is getting closer now...

Barbara there is a new Jackie Lawson card with a caravan on it. I love it can't wait to send it to someone though no idea who....

Aidan will never be forgotten here I have been reading a book about some people one of whom has a brother called Aidan😊

How is bro? Is he enjoying his little holiday with his GF?

and just out of interest how is your eldest GD and her Fiancee?

Kitty how are you today? Any sign yet of the DN? If needs be sleek is happy to search for her/him???

I asked our pharmacist when he will be taking bookings for our flu jabs. He reckons starting beginning Sept the sooner the better. I reckon if people stop with the masks there will be more this year🙄

I am sure your kind support will help Dawn and Jonathan ((()))

Thank you for the Tuscan bean Stew from the BHF I reckon that will also be good for reducing cholesterol.

Thinking of your Dad ((()))

Right breakfast....shall we have 🥣 porridge before it gets too warm? It is also good for our cholesterol isn't it?

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Morning Mike I hope the vocal cords are ready and lubricated with plentiful supplies of tea and what sweet treats do you have to tempt your lovely home help Sue is it? Chirrup to Vixen. The 1st of September is getting closer now...

Morning petal, we have custard slices to accompany our brews this morning. 😋 Vixen has had her second breakfast already and is currently kipping on the front door mat, this is her latest habit which she has been doing for a few days; as soon as I have performed my ablutions and got dressed she will be lying between my legs ensuring that I can't do anything, that is until Sue (Home Help) gets the vacuum out!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Thank you everyone for your kind words to us ((())) I had fish and chips and mushy peas and tartare sauce and then chocolate brownie and ice cream. and coffee sue had cheesy chips and then Bakewell tart and custard and coffee.

Kath ((()))) I hope the district nurse comes today ((())) Good luck with Jackie lawson we had that lovely cards.

Love to Chris ((()))Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) yes sue saw the card on her phone thank you ((())) you are kind ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother (())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) I hope your builders are working now it's a bit dryer. Love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Reshmi ((())) have a good day and try not to worry take care ((()))

Love to Chris ((())) Carol ((())) and Mike ((())) and Elliott ((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    edited 10. Aug 2021, 10:11
    Options

Laptop today, still waiting for the DN. 🙄

Mike, I think I have your screws in my hips and spine. I was in agony! It never happens in bed, iust when I'm trying to grab 40 winks in my armchair. I was trying to change position which mad my chair creak badly. Chris woke up too and he wasn't pleased.

Joan, that meal sounds perfect, I could do with a plate of fish chips and mushy peas. I've never tried Tartare Sauce.

Toni, I'm head first in the porridge/ I'll lick the dish clean. If DN doesn't call today, I think Sleek can see if she can find her. If she doesn't mind. I'll make her a sardine latte as a thank you.

Barbara, I'm not doing very well with the cottage. But it'll take time. Well done your brother.

I'll look for something healthy to eat. Today I'm raiding the BBC, and it's not vegan as it has Cod in it. Sorry Toni.

By Nadiya Hussain

From The Chronicles of Nadiya

Preparation time

less than 30 mins

Cooking time

30 mins to 1 hour

Serves

Serves 3

Ingredients

For the curry

For the spinach

Method

1. For the curry, place a large lidded pan over a medium heat and add the oil. Add the garlic and onion and cook until softened. Add 1 teaspoon salt and if the onions stick to the pan add splashes of water.
    2. Add the chillies and tomato purée and cook for 2 minutes. Add the turmeric, chilli powder and curry powder. Add a little water and cook for 5–7 minutes, or until the oil rises to the surface.
    3. Meanwhile, thinly slice the clementine peel and add it to the pan with the 200ml/7fl oz water (or clementine juice). Cook for 10 minutes, or until the peel has melted down.
    4. Add the cod, stir and put the lid on. Cook for a few minutes, or until firm, white and cooked through. Remove from the heat and add the coriander.
    5. Put the spinach in a large pot with the garlic and a pinch of salt. Dry steam on a low heat for 3 minutes, until wilted right down; it should keep its bright-green colour. Dry steaming is cooking without any oil; rinsed spinach has enough moisture on it to steam it and cook the garlic.
    6. Serve the fish curry with the spinach on the side.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara , ty, did manage a nap, but yesterday wasn’t feeling great, but just “female stuff” really, not arthritis so much, so that’s good. Babies and sister have invaded today, my sis is one of the major hotheads lol. I’m feeling relatively ok together thanks, but I did eat all the junk food that came my way aft walk, but I don’t do that all the time. How’s your day going? Take care.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni, it was part the “female stuff” with me, but thanks I do def agree about PsA, it does indeed wipe me out a lot of time, I do try and get proper rests, but I get a bit sort of breathless and stressed at times, anyway “seeing “ GP soon, so thats good. Feeling a bit better today, but ate a lot of junk really, nvm, but is cake really calorie free? Because images of cakes online are are as bad as junk food tv ads, but I tolerate it so that I can communicate on this site, lol. Ok, bye for now, tc

• bosh
    Options

Hi @dachshund , how are you? Don’t worry, I like eating fish too, v good for you, nice recipe. Do you like salmon? That’s one of me fave foods (and of course couldn’t be much more healthy really). Babies and sis 2 day invasion going on here atm, I’m still in the family battle trenches, hope to emerge about 4 pm tomorrow, at least that’s the plan, lol. I hope you’re enjoying the day. Tc.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Kathleen, u said you’re ipad ate my message, lol, no worries, but I’ve kind of lost track of my own messages too, lol, sorry about that, but have a nice day and Tc anyway, Reshmi.

• bosh
    Options

Hi @Turbogran , how are you today? My free time has just expired, family invaders are back. Have a good one, Tc. X