Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all

Toni I can feel your excitement how brilliant Penelope has been for you France would be the icing on the cake 😁

I wonder how long bee bombs will last when stored I have a few left that I forgot about .

I hope Lycy blood's are fine xx

Reshmi I hope your day has gone ok ..I went with my ex neighbour to choose her Sari I was taken aback with the bright colours..what a shame the trousers didn't fit but leggings are comfy xx

Joan you are welcome I had never heard off bee bombs till this year l8ve to all if you xx

Kath I am sure you will get out with your walker..just he very carful ..maybe a few muns walk will do you good..but I know you have a lot to deal with xx.

Love to all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Morning everyone

Chilly bright start here today.

Kitty Kat I did you and mushroom ( I know how much you love your mushrooms!) and cheese omelette yesterday thank you for the tomato and baby broccoli 🥦 gnocchi it was lovely Kari had some too 😋

Chris is probably worried if you fell outside he couldn't come and rescue you?

That sounds a lovely simple romper that jumper though is gorgeous makes me want to get back knitting. Where i mig these days and still to see Carol's knitting I'm sure for the new baby...

Baby pink is by far the best 🙂

Bloods done yet?

Joan Lucy's bloods were taken easily she was out before she was due to go in. It was a fasting one. I was cold again last night and in the night too brrrr! Has Sue got new carers yet? To replace the ones leaving?((())) xxx

Morning Reshmi I have met one of our receptionists 'out' once and she was really nice! Weird but I'm sure some patients aren't nice to them. Of course we'll be with you in November just remind us nearer to the date.

I hope the mental health meeting goes well 🙂

Your BIL sounds a right one! What kind of a meal is that?😅 I suppose at least your sister didn't have to cook, but eating all of her chocolates😮that is definitely grounds for divorce😉

Paul is not really shorter than me I'm on a wedge cushion for my back and my brother did a seat repair for me - doing passenger seat this afternoon!

Mike you enjoy today make sure you drink plenty of tea. I hope you have nice biccies or even cake to share with your home help😊

Barbara I hope Bee bombs last a year i had mine for Christmas and am yet to use them.....chuck them next spring with me!

I would love France it's top end so not far this side of Reims. Further to drive in the UK getting on the train.....will have a chat to Paul....🤔

I think Kath's Chris worries about her outside in case she fell given that he isn't well enough to pick her up? Do you think?

The garden is very slowly starting to take shape!!!!

I will take some pics later when the men have gone.

Love to Carol and Chris of course.

Some upma for breakfast. I make this for an evening meal but it's supposed to be a breakfast!!!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Mike you enjoy today make sure you drink plenty of tea. I hope you have nice biccies or even cake to share with your home help

Morning. Double exciting day today, Home Help this morning and then a haircut this afternoon. A couple of years ago I noticed that the lady living opposite me has a monthly visit from a Mobile Hairdresser so I asked her to do mine too, now she comes every 2 months to give me a trim as I can no longer visit the Barbers in town. So Sue this morning and Andrea this afternoon - I hope people don't start talking! 😁

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 4,061
    Options

Hi @kathleenT , thanks for your nice message, the recipe looks great by the way. I understand about some male solicitors, my sis said one the male bosses tried to touch one of her female colleagues in the taxi, so another (normal) male boss told her never to share taxi with that person. Have a nice day Kathleen. Tc x

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara , it was ok ty, but in the morning I didn’t feel too well, my dad had left one of the outside back doors open and I was freezing, even after putting heating on, arthritic pains in back etc felt really bad, but I felt a lot better after another sleep, so that was good. Ty about the leggings. My sis and babies coming today, so will be nice, if exhausting and noisy. Take care. X

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni, upma is great, good choice. M health meeting not happening now, as still worried about mum’s immunity, so planning to go to cafe w family, should be nice. Yes Bil v eccentric, to say the least, lol. In a bit of a rush now, ty about hospital appointment. Have a nice day, take care.

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I used to knit my polo neck jumpers I don't have the time now. And I used to make bread. I hope the nurse comes and takes your blood ((())) love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Reshmi ((())) try not to get depressed it can make you feel worse (())) have a good day take care love to your family.

Toni ((())) you look has if you are looking at the other pink car in the photo. Love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie (((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

love to Chris ((())) Carol ((())) and Mike ((())) and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Morning, I'm still waiting for the DN. If she doesn't come today I think I might ring to make sure she has made the appointment.

I have met many people who say they are Christians, but don't actually read the Bible or obey what Jesus says we should do. As Christ said at Matthew 7 v 21-22, - " 21  Not everyone who says to me ‘Lord, Lord’ will get into the Reign of Heaven, but he who does the will of my Father in heaven: 22  many will say to me in that day ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by your name and expel demons by your name and work many miracles by your name?’ 23  and then ‘I will avow to them ‘I never knew you; begone from me, you that practice wickedness.’"

Mike, too much excitement in one day for me, I' need a nap after each visitor.

Barbara, I'm also anxious getting my walker down the front step. Chris used to help me, but he can't do it any more.

Joan, it must have taken you some time to knit a polo neck. But I bet they kept you warm. I also loved baking bread, but now I wouldn't be able to knead the dough. Oh you've set me off now, I really fancy a nice chunk of bread and butter. I'm drooling.

Reshmi, my bosses never tried it on with me (thank goodness) they were just very upper class and treated me like dirt. 😒

Antonette, I really fancy that UPMA, it looks smashing. I think Chris is just jealous about me going outside, because he can't. You look great driving Penelope (not driving Miss Daisy) I hope you manage to get to France eventually.

I'll try to find something tasty and nourishing for us.

Cauliflower and chickpea burgers

Category: Main meal | Serves: 2

Prep time: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS

1/3 small cauliflower (approximate weight 120g or 4½ oz)

1 small onion, peeled and sliced

2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

1 tsp cumin seeds

½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)

2 tsp rapeseed oil

1 medium egg

215g (7.5oz) can (110g drained weight) chickpeas, drained

30g (1oz) wholemeal breadcrumbs

2 wholemeal bread rolls

1 tomato, sliced

1 little gem lettuce

50g (2oz) cucumber, sliced

½ small red onion, sliced

1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6. Chop the cauliflower into florets and toss with the onion, garlic, cumin and 1 tsp of rapeseed oil. Place on a non-stick baking tray and roast for 20 minutes.

2. Cool for 10 minutes then tip into a food processor with the drained chickpeas, egg and breadcrumbs. Blitz until combined, then shape into two burgers.

3. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and cook the burgers for five minutes on each side over low to medium heat (on a barbecue, use a grill basket as they are quite fragile). (If freezing, let them cool then wrap individually and freeze for up to three months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and heat over a low heat in a non-stick pan that’s been wiped with some rapeseed oil.)

4. Split the buns in half and fill with tomato slices, little gem leaves, cucumber and red onion slices. Add a cooked burger and top with the bun lid.

5. Serve with a salad of leaves, diced or chopped cucumber and shredded spring onions.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all our young girl form our little town got a silver medal ..so proud of her 😁

Toni I will definitely buy more bee bombs next spring had well

I thought Paul looked tiny bless 😅 giid you had your cushion abd well done your brother for modifying the seat for you xx

Mike 2 ladies coming and going 🤣nice to have an hair cut and a natter xx

Reshmi sorry you have been feeling so poorly xxi hope today wasn't to tiring but I'm the same with visitors these days you take care xx

Joan I hope you are all OK and getting out and about ..I had my jacket potatoes today 😋xx

Kath another good recipe thankyou ..I understand your fear of falling wish I lived near we could help each other xx

Love to all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening all

Thought it was about time I made a visit we are all ok. Youngest daughter has to have a colonoscopy tomorrow and needs to have someone to collect her from the hospital, She will be coming home to us for the night as she has to have someone with her for 12hrs. As she has no place for one of us to sleep at her home.

I am still not fully back to myself although I’m a lot better. At the moment days are just wizzing by just don’t seem to have enough time to do everything I want too. I always seem to have someone on the phone. Or someone wanting me to do something for them. However I still have my time out for a coffee and me time, that is of course if I ignore my mobile phone until I get back home. But for course then I have to ring them back. I’m coming up to a run of birthday, all within days of one another. Mr T’s is on Friday, little Kian will be 2 on Saturday, Youngest GD’s partner’s birthday is on Sunday, and our Rubie will be 3 next Wednesday. Where is time going.

Today Ava- Maye was registered. She will be 3 weeks old on Saturday how di that happen.

and because I know you love the photos here are a couple of her Today.

My little cardigan I have been knitting her just needs sewing up and the front bands knitted on and it is finished I will post a picture when completed. Barbara it is not pink it is knitted in grey and white as requested by her Mummy her favourite colours apparently.

Just a question to those of you who have pusskins how do you get them to drink water, and do they have wet or dry food. Our Cookie hardly drinks any at all. Been trying a few suggestions that I have been given. I am thinking of buying a cat water fountain for her to see if she will drink then. The rescue she came from uses water fountains for the cats . Has anyone here used one.

It just over 2 weeks left now before we go to see the family. And of course I can’t wait for new baby cuddles.

well must go now love to you all.

love and sparkles

❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    Options

Carol We had trouble with Winnie and Daisy drinking water (both prefer dry, but wet is better for their kidneys so Kari says so they have just a spot of dry for their teeth mostly wet) so they each have a water fountain now. Cost less than £30 and both neck it back now because it's running water😊

It's good to see you and hear that you are ok just a bit manically busy atm.

Ava-Mae is adorable pulling her little ears! 3 weeks old! they grow so so fast and Kian will be 2😮 Rubie I suppose 3, Mr T 21 again?😁

I hope your daughter does ok with the colonoscopy she will enjoy being looked after by her Mum ((()))

When are you off visiting?

Yes please I'd love to see the cardigan when it's done 👍️

Morning Mike! They will be talking about you? I think they probably are talking about you🤭So a smart boy today with a sore throat from talking too much and probably nice low blood pressure!!!

Kitty Kat I wondered whether your Chris might be holding you back a bit. Oddly enough this happened to my neighbour on the one side she never left the house and her husband died just before COVID now she is out all the time on her walker or with her tripod stick in the garden. She just takes her alarm with her. Do it if you want to but have your phone with you and be safe.

Upma is lovely mostly semolina?? veggies etc. I love it had it on holiday once and found out it is vegan so that was it!

I'll have two cauliflower and chickpea burgers please one each for me and Kari.

Passenger seat is now raised too in the Fig so paul is the correct height!!

Sleek said she will be over later she has been checking on P. She is moving downstairs now.

Reshmi getting too cold is just not good at all (not sure about too hot either) but good a sleep helped. Did you get to the cafe with the family? I hope so and enjoyed watching (I hope only watching if you are rough) the babies🙂

Your sister probably enjoys a break from her eccentric husband with you all. You are sensible avoiding crowds just now you can go to your group soon I hope ((()))

Barbara Paul's seat is fixed bro came over yesterday afternoon after I saw P. He will be taller than me again even with my extra cushion!

I now have 31 photos from the Silverstone track parade!

Yes buy more bee bombs just in case. I think I have plenty 2 bombs and one packets of wildflower seeds.

A silver medal! WOW! that is great you must all be thrilled for me and your town.

Morning Joan I probably was looking at the passenger in the other pink car! It was such a great day! P is moving downstairs now - the stairs are getting too hard to manage bless her . Love to you and Sue ((())) xxx

vegan option available.

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((()))) I hope the nurse comes today to do your blood ((())) I have to go into the garden to pick up the dog doo's there no one else and the gardener comes to cut the grass. Have a good day love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) that is good for your town getting a medal. When we moved in our bungalow it was named by Lesley -Ann Skeete she came to see the bungalows she was a sprinter in the games she won a gold years ago. Love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Carol ((())) thank you for the photo's ((())) love to your daughter ((())) and everyone on their birthday ((())) and Mr T ((()))

Toni ((())) I'm sorry P ((())) has to move down stairs I know it's for the best I wish they would spend all the money on things that's needed and not like going up to the moon. Love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P (((())) and your lovely neighbours ((())) your other neighbour good to go out after her husband dying ((()))

love to Chris (()) Mig ((())) and Mike ((())) and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Morning

Toni thank you for the comment on the water fountains Cookie has mainly wet food as well, and a small amount of dry too as you say for the teeth, and also as a little top up usually put down just before bedtime. I think I have been convinced by various people now that the fountain is the way to go. With her. yes the photo of Ava pulling her ears is great I really had a giggle when I saw it. And I will post a pic of the finished knitting. We go away in 15 days for our visit. I must go now as today is as very busy one and I need to get ready to go out as soon as Mr T rings me to meet him for usual weekly lunch out ,he has had to collect his laptop from the repair shop this morning.This afternoon he will go to collect daughter from hospital when she is ready. And they will get a cab home. Love and sparkles to you all

❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • bosh
    Options

Ty @dachshund / Joan , I do try with the depression, but it’s hard sometimes, one of my good friends has moved away and atmosphere at home is always really difficult, I know my mum doesn’t feel well a lot of times, but she’s the kind of person who takes it out on someone in order to feel better, namely me, of course I love her , but it’s not easy for me to deal with and she’s refused to get involved in any support group, even before lockdown, but thanks for your kind thoughts about me and my family, you have a great day too, take care.

• bosh
    Options

Hi @kathleenT , burger looks good, I see about your bosses, yes certain male bosses can be very obnoxious, lol. I’m still stuck with family visitors unfortunately. Have a good day and send me more virtual burgers, lol. Take care.

• bosh
    Options

Hi @Turbogran , hope you’re having a nice morning. Tc.

• bosh
    Options

Ava Maye looks adorable Turbogran

• Kitty
    Options

Morning all, what a mix up. I rang the DN office to check if an appointment had been made for me this week - NO! So I made one myself for next week. As usual, if you want summat doin, do it yersen! Sorry about the old Nottinghamese breaking through there. 🙃

Joan, as you have gathered by now, no nurse this week. Next week should be different. 😊

Carol, how cute is Ava-Maye, and what a cheeky little face she has. Yes, you must post a photo of her in the new cardie when it has been stitched together.

Barbara, we are so proud of our local Olympians aren't we. We have a lady weight lifter from Nottingham, and of course the brilliant Adam Peaty from Leicestershire. Have fun with your Bee Bombs.

Reshmi, I'm sorry you have been feeling unwell. Hugs to hopefully make you better. ❤️

Toni, how sad for P, having to move downstairs. I hope she manages to sleep well. I've just had a phone call from Anita because dad had a fall in the garden and the skin on his arm is badly damaged. He also has WET Macular now. 🙄.

On a more happier note, Jonathan and Dawn have settled their problems (with a little help from moi) and they are staying together. Oh well that's about it for now so I'll find something simple but tasty for us.

Tuscan bean and vegetable stew

Category: Main meal | Serves: 2

Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS

2 tsp olive or rapeseed oil

4-6 shallots, sliced

1 small red pepper, deseeded and chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)

2 small carrots, sliced

1 stick celery, chopped

227g (8oz) can chopped tomatoes in rich natural juice (or chopped whole tomatoes)

150ml (1/4 pint) homemade or reduced-salt vegetable stock

5 tbsp medium-dry cider (or extra vegetable stock)

1 tbsp tomato puree

1 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning

Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste

420g (15oz) can butter beans in water, drained and rinsed

85g (3oz) French beans, trimmed and cut into short lengths

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
    2. Heat olive oil in a flameproof, ovenproof casserole dish. Add shallots, red pepper, garlic (if using), carrots and celery; cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    3. Stir in tomatoes, stock, cider, tomato puree, herb seasoning and black pepper; bring to the boil. Cover, transfer casserole to oven and bake for 45 minutes.
    4. Remove from oven; stir in butter beans and green beans. Re-cover; return to oven and bake for a further 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Cook's tips

• Try using other canned beans, such as cannellini beans, borlotti beans or chickpeas.
    • Substitute hot chilli powder for the dried herb seasoning.
    • Serve with mashed potatoes, crushed new potatoes or cooked brown rice.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh
    Options

Hi Toni, thanks, yes, the whole experience was enjoyable, but my sister is still being v selfish, she needs one room to work in, one for one baby to sleep in, one for another baby to play in and she even kicked my mum out of her own room! She’s a hothead like my mum, but without the kindness, I’m not saying she’s actively unkind, just a v v difficult kind of personality, best way of putting it. Nice to see your pic at S/ stone btw, u looked v glamorous. Ok, bye for now. Tc

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all we have had a lovely sunny day till storms around 4 and Niamh was 9 😁

Carol Ava Maye is beautiful ..bet you can't wait to see her ..xx

Joan how interesting your bungalow called after the sprinter that win gold ,she must have been proud to see her name on the street xx

Tini I'm glad Paul us at the right hight now 😅How's your garden coming along hopefully just a few more weeks xx

Reshmi I always say family's eh...not easy us it ..but we all have them well most of us xx

Kath Adam Peaty is a fanatic swimmer ..so he's not far from you ..

I hope dad will heal OK.. he will be having the injection for wet macular..bless him xx

Sorry these are short its getting hard work

Love to all

Xxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Happy Belated Birthday to Niamh🙂Barbara

Phew that took me some icing (hehe!)

Don't you worry about posting reems but I hope you are practising with some typing software??? Or Mr B will be in our cafe one day!!!!

Joan My neighbour is 89 years old! Impressive isn't she?

Sounds to me Reshmi as tough your sister is the only person who ever had a child!!? 🙄 That can happen. But gosh she is cheeky all those rooms, but I bet your Mum gives in to her.

Thank you we all had our roofs down on our cars so need to wear a head scarf or something to keep your hair out of your eyes!

What are you doing today? I am seeing my poorly friend and taking Lucy to dermatology.

Kath how annoying having to make your own appointment for your bloods! Still at least you know it will (should) happen now.

P can sleep yes that is all she does bless her she can hardly stay awake. Downstairs is safer they are 'open' ones so a bit scary.

Oh dear Dad now has wet macular the poor man 😕 Does that mean he has to have an injection like Barbara said? Hope his arm is ok.

Well done settling things for your boy and his partner ((())) for you.

Thank you for the bean stew it looks very tasty indeed.😋

Carol I hope your daughter was ok after her procedure and Mr T is happy with his laptop. VERY good that you are back having your lunches out together. That's probably how you have kept your marriage alive little things like that.

Yes go a water fountain once she has sussed it you will see how much she drinks as the level of water goes down very fast!

15 days will fly past then I expect many more pics!

Mike I hope all is well in Cornwall? Still liquid sunshine or are you expecting storms today like we are? a pic of Sleek 'helping' me deadhead yesterday afternoon:

Breakfast:

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Greetings, it is a wet one down here this morning. Vixen has decided that I am to stay in my chair all day as she jumped up and settled between my legs as soon as she had her breakfast this morning. It's probably just as well as I have what I call the "screws" this morning, hurting all over, meds not working and having trouble sitting comfortably.

• Kitty
    Options

Just a quick one this morning. Last message from Anita this morning.

”Hi you they kept dad in last night. He had a scan on head yesterday and stitches in head also sorted his arm . Don’t no the ward he is on as they never phoned me back, I’m at work today so will ring later to find out x”

it’s a worry because of his great age. But I hope he will be home soon, and no more swinging full watering cans around. 🙄

love from Kitty Kat. 🐱

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I'm so sorry your Dad had a fall it would shake him up he's in the right place now ((())) Good job you phoned about your app I hope they remember you next week. Love to Anita ((()))) and Val ((()) and Emily ((())) and your Dad (((()))

Carol ((())) not long to go before you see Ava-maye love to Mr B ((())) and family (()))

Reshmi ((())) I know what you mean our friend did not want to see us after 50 years of friendship have a good day and take care ((()))

Barbara (((()))) Happy birthday to Niamh ((())) Good you can now give her a hug ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) sleek looks a sleep or she's working out how to get water out of the can. Yes your neighbour is good ((()))at that age. Love to your friend ((())) poor P ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley (((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((())) I hope Lucy's app went well.((()))

Have a good day Mike ((())) and vi den ((()))

Love to Chris ((())) and Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

Hi everyone, sorry, only just about managed to make up my sleep and do a few normal things after the sister debacle, lol. Joan, Toni and Barbara, great to hear from you ladies. Still feeling a bit run down with this cold I guess, but def feeling better than yesterday, thanks. Yes, Toni sis knows my mum’s weak points, but it’s cruel to exploit them, thank goodness she’s returning to work in September. Hi Joan, that’s sad about your friend, this is one is keeping in touch a bit, so at least not complete loss atm. Once, before I fell v mentally ill, I had this really nice female friend, but as soon as I got so bad I had to be in hospital, she dropped me completely, even though she’d had depression problem before, yes, people can be very strange and shallow. My friend who has moved is nice, but she has a bit of an inferiority complex, she thinks I went to Cambridge sometimes, I went to uni in Bangor, lol, no mental health problem or dementia or anything like that thankfully, I’d say she’s in her own world, lol. Take care everyone, I’ve put kettle on Toni, Earl grey and soya milk.