Val's Cafe

Comments

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 443

@bosh 🤣😂 I miss eating Big Macks though… A MacKerrel is just not the same! And I miss pizza!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,335

Morning Everyone

No work for Lucy now until after the wedding! Yay!!!!!! Suits me no early starts.

Kitty I hope your Asda order is all present and correct.

What a great poem it makes me want to be 17 again off somewhere or another on the train. The speed it you read it right is perfect for the rhythm of the train on it's tracks! No I have not heard it before so thank you very much😘

Morning Joan. The wedding is at 1.30. Charley leaves here at 11am Annie leaves their house at 12. We will be busy here from 8.30 with hair and what not. Nope no long johns though I am wearing trousers (will sneak tights underneath I think!) I will post a pic when I can ((())) xxx

Pastries and coffee here today Toady it's Saturday which was always Aidan (Bubbles)'s day for eating them with Bill and Bill Snr so we carry on the tradition. I will pop some chairs outside the cafe and Arthuritis can join us people watching.

I have done two food diaries during lockdown neither of which gave me any obvious clues as to the cause of my stomach pain and did a coeliac test which was negative. Next option would probably be cameras which I am loathe to try😮 So just doing what you can is fine for you.

I was veggie leaning towards vegan for many years and that is fine.

Yes! I can fill the motorhome with our junk! I don't think Paul would be too happy😁 nope no 8 legged people in my house please.

I hope the bed is better than you fear. Fingers crossed for you and yes the duplication in online products I forgot about that. In France you know they value longevity in products over price we should take a leaf.... moan over!!

Hello Barbara hope you are ok I can see those eyes are still poorly.

So the 'patients' are still ok even if it is rough and one recovery. That's good unavoidable I should think in the same house.

I have to agree with you who could possibly not love Bill his heart is as big as Aidan's was.

and you enjoy your chocolate I keep eating nomo the raisin one in the purple pack 😋The wedding is coming along as fast as Kitty's train help!!

Morning Reshmi I am also an early bird not a night owl and this ice puts me off although sometimes (though not this week with the wedding so very very close) I will do a last minute walk as dusk is looming.

HV ruined your plans well what can you do. You will feel sluggish without proper rest still today is another day and might be better.

Talking of the pret a manger hot chocs and needing to donate all your teeth to the dentist I was at the dentist yesterday with Lucy. All good and us both booked in for July for a check up. It's a Saturday how odd.

Gingerbread sugar free yum! Treats without the consequences that is what we are looking for!😋

By the way you didn't hide your poem from me I love it. There was me thinking mac might actually be macdonalds with BIL!!!

Hope today is a good one for you ((()))

@Arthuritis I am with you on the Maccie D's try the Mcplant I have they are really yum! The chairs are outside it's sunny and we are eating croissants and people watching do join us!

Love to Carol PCR negative is it?

and Mike hope all is well with you and Vixen ((()))

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

and Mike hope all is well with you and Vixen ((()))

Still here thanks!!

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899

Good morning everyone

Barbara ((())) that's good they are all feeling a bit better. And your brother has is problems (((())) yes we want the spring. has Mr B Heard yet about is date. (((()))) love to your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) love to his girlfriend ((())) and your niece ((())) and her fiancé ((()))

Toady (((())) no our dogs don't have coats they are long coated Dachshunds' I hope you have a good weekend

Reshmi ((())) have a good weekend all of you

Toni ((())) I know you will have a busy weekend love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Kitty ((())) have a good weekend love to Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Mike ((())) and vixen

Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

Morning, sorry but it's been a bad one. Nothing has gone right. So I'll just hunt out a recipe.

moan, mither, comlain!!!!!

Tuscan bean and vegetable stew

from the British Heart Foundation

Category: Main meal | Serves: 2

Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
    2. Heat olive oil in a flameproof, ovenproof casserole dish. Add shallots, red pepper, garlic (if using), carrots and celery; cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    3. Stir in tomatoes, stock, cider, tomato puree, herb seasoning and black pepper; bring to the boil. Cover, transfer casserole to oven and bake for 45 minutes.
    4. Remove from oven; stir in butter beans and green beans. Re-cover; return to oven and bake for a further 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Cook's tips

• Try using other canned beans, such as cannellini beans, borlotti beans or chickpeas.
    • Substitute hot chilli powder for the dried herb seasoning.
    • Serve with mashed potatoes, crushed new potatoes or cooked brown rice.

INGREDIENTS

2 tsp olive or rapeseed oil

4-6 shallots, sliced

1 small red pepper, deseeded and chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)

2 small carrots, sliced

1 stick celery, chopped

227g (8oz) can chopped tomatoes in rich natural juice (or chopped whole tomatoes)

150ml (1/4 pint) homemade or reduced-salt vegetable stock

5 tbsp medium-dry cider (or extra vegetable stock)

1 tbsp tomato puree

1 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning

Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste

420g (15oz) can butter beans in water, drained and rinsed

85g (3oz) French beans, trimmed and cut into short lengths

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Arthuritis

@Kitty @frogmorton Thanks for the bean & veg recipe, duly copied to try out. Mmmmhhh Mc D processed food so yummy! Ok, I give in, i have used up this month’s processed food allowance so next month i will indulge!

With a bottle of Lindeman’s cabernet red (alcohol free version). Mac Veg & a glass of red🍔🍷😄

Currently reading Prof Tim Spector’s book “Spoonfed” & Dr M. Greger’s “How not to die” morbidly titled but quite readable books on nutrition as your farmacy to complement your drug regime. I like them as they back up their assertions with science and both are doctors who recognise that pills alone won’t do. If I were to choose, I’d Greger’s first as it has lots of immediate practical advice vs Spector’s which is more strategic. (Lazy as I am, I chose the Kindle with audio sync so I can listen during housework or when on the phone Q to the rheumatology/HMRC/whatever other entity that makes you sit on a Q)!

• Kitty

Anyone tried a Macdonald’s MacPlant yet?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 3,952

Hi Arthuritis, I hope you are well? To worry I got it to big Macs either, lol, have you tried cheese free pizza. sometimes Toni and I eat these. Tc. Xx

hi Toni, how are you today? That’s good that you’re an early morning person too, I’m glad you’ve Got a break from the really early starts. Doing a lot better today thank you less shoulder pain etc, I think what help today is with me wearing the really massive coat, I think yesterday perhaps I wasn’t quite rightly dressed, but like I’ve said before, the good thing about slightly lighter coats is that it’s so much easier to move in oh well at least I got it right today, when I had a nap or tried to nap in the daytime I somehow managed to dig my shoulders right into the mattress I was more careful today morning so all in all feeling better now thanks for asking Toni 😄. Glad You’ve got the dental checkup booked, sometimes they are open on Saturdays at least mine is, so I’ve noticedI, I should ideally book a checkup too, but my dentist is v central and I am not having any major problems with my teeth atm, also I did have a tooth taken out a few months ago or something like that anyway so I may just leave it a bit longer it’s not like the private dentist so they won’t “get in a strop”, as one of my friends likes to put it, lol. I hope the checkup goes well. I’m glad You liked the poem I didn’t really hide it on purpose I was just short of time and feeling a bit shy really 😄. My mum spoke to LA today, He’s going out for lunch, when he was asked what he will be having, he said something along the lines of “steak and red wine”! A Bit of a sophisticated palate for a three-year-old and of course the drink being not quite legal. Also thought I’d mention that bill named takeaway pizza as his first love, I almost said “I’m guessing that tacos are your second love, so Is your poor wife third down the scale? Or does she feature even less prominently?”. Lol.hope you have a nice day Toni bye for now. Xx

• bosh

Hi Joan Barbara and Kathleen I hope you’re all okay today ? Joan I hope that Sue is doing okay too? I’m not too bad today thank you less achy I think I must’ve slept or rested in the right position and so on and so forth hope your pains are not too bad either everyone bye for now take care. Xx

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280

Evenung all

All thus talk of foid has got ne hungry si had an asda pizza never had ine before it was delicouse..sorry typos again can't keep going ovrr them

Toni Is the wedding venue nearby ..sorry I'm behind..we have a garage that dosnt fit the car so all junk goes in there 😂xx

Toady I totally agree it's such a waste to keep buying new..we keep our charity shop very busy ..buying that us..hope the beds uo to scratch xx

Joan no date yet fir Mr Bs hip or scan come to that..I pray its soon..love to all of you xx

Reshmi children are so funny..steak and wine ,sounds goid to me..I have the skinny syrups in my cupboards some are very nice ..not had the gingerbread one xx

Love to arthritis and kitty my eyes have had it

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • Arthuritis

Hi @bosh I have never tried cheese free pizza, any good? Where do I get it?

Wish I could try some now. So bored and hungry, but my current boring diet does minimise my flare fires.

😃

• frogmorton

Morning!

The big day is TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!😮😮😮

Morning Joan yes the weekend is hectic. Today we go to the venue with everything for them to set up. Then we put the wedding bunting up here so the whole world knows we have a wedding and at Annie's and Charley's where Annie is leaving from. Then tonight the adult bridesmaids and Charley and me and Paul will have a night in here with pizza and one glass of something. ((())) xxx

Good to hear from you Mike and that you are both well. ((()))😊

Kitty do not fear if life is mad you just get that sorted we know you are ok that's the main thing.

The casserole was YUMMY thank you I had two bowls full I was far too busy to cook myself yesterday so that went down well.

I have had a few Mcplants they are really good make sure yours is hot if you have one, they do not hold the heat like meat unfortunately, but are apparently like the 1/4 pounder with cheese?

Well @Arthuritis I like your little ditty about Mcplants, veg and wine! Sounds perfect. I think i will try Kitty's casserole in real life too it's good for us and sounds YUM!

I am a huge fan of Tim Spectre (now I have stopped calling him Phil!) I use the Zoe COVID app and have done since day one of this pandemic. It's where he gets most of the 'real' COVID information from. He was the one who said that the main symptoms are 'cold-like' not the original ones, but so far the GOVT has yet to act.

Most of my books are now on audible as I get on with life at the same time myself. It's a good thing surely multi-tasking👍️

Morning Reshmi. I am glad to hear the shoulder is easing off a bit. It's so much trial and error isn't it? and some days one things works the next it might not! But dressing right does help; if you tense up because you're cold it can be disastrous. Layers are great as you say.

Oh yes I am a morning person up at 6 (naturally) and in bed for 10 except when taking Lucy into work at 4/5am then in bed much earlier🙄

The dentist check up is for July! A long way off I hope I will feel safe enough to go by then. Fingers crossed teeth feel fine glad yours are too. The dentist is lovely really lovely and not happy because she has to wear a mask which makes her look like a fly!

Reshmi I love poetry I think Kitty might have missed yours yesterday she was in such a rush bless her. That will be me tomorrow. I hope no-one worries if I am missing i will just be at the wedding. Did you see even Arthuritis wrote a tiny tiny ditty yesterday in his post?

I am so glad your Mum got to speak to LA yesterday ((())) steak and wine😂bless his heart. OMG! BIL loves pizza before his wife and children?! his belly clearly is very important to him honestly 🙄

Morning Barbara I love vegan pizza no cheese just loads of veg 😋 might have one as Chraley is staying the night and the adult bridesmaids will be here too.

The wedding is about 40 minutes away. I go with all 6 bridesmaids in a limo. Annie has a traditional car and Charley, Paul and her father go in a VW camper!!! I will be good I promise and say nothing to him I can be nice😉

I think Mr B will hear soon about his op, surely - the figures are going back down so there will be no excuse not to crack on with elective surgeries.

I will take lots of pics for you all.

Love to Toady and Carol.

Breakfast:

sorry all this talk of mcdonalds.....

• Kitty

Morning life savers. Today is a better start, I will scrub yesterday off my brain box!

Antoinette, you must be so excited but anxious and nervous at the same time. Sleek has been (to escape all the noise and fuss) although I think she is just as excited, but wanted a bit of attention. So as you are super busy, she scurried through the gate for some shrimp lattés and a good stroking session. She wants her fur to look glossy for the big day. We picked out her best tiara too.

Barbara, I’m sorry mr B doesn’t have a date, he must be so frustrated! I’m sorry your eyes are playing up again. X

Reshmi, sorry for being so tetchy yesterday. I was even too fed up to have a proper chat with my dad.

Arthruritis, I’m not a big drinker (except tea, coffee and water) but being on MTX that’s probably as well, but I do sometimes fancy the odd tipple.

Toady, I’m glad my poem bought back happy memories of being 17. My favourite age - ah, memories of Cushendall and Glenarm.

Joan, thank you lovely lady. You are so thoughtful.

love to Carol, Mike, mig, and anyone I missed.

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

Kitty ((())) I hope you have a good day with not too much pain ((())) love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val (()) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) I hope Mr B ((())) does not have to wait too long. Have a good day love to your son (()) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece ((())) and her fiancé ((()))

Toni ((())) I wish Charley and Annie all the best in their life ((())) they have been through a lot. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Reshmi ((())) I hope you feel better soon

Arthritis ((()) I hope your pains not too bad.

Mike ((())) I saw the exercises you do good they take a lot of strength and determination ((())) love to vixen

Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh

Hi Barbara how are you? thanks for your nice message, yes kids are very humorous people, lol, that’s good that you’ve got a lot of skinny syrups, I think you’re right though some are much better than others, it’s a case of trial and error I guess. Tc. Xx

• bosh

Hi Arthuritis how are you today? Do you mind if I call you ar/ AR? Its Just the less time I spend on my tablet the better it is for my neck, thanks. Some takeaways is have a “create own pizza” option, basically you can choose any toppings you want you want and exclude cheese, I know Pizza Hut do that, some more do too as far as I remember that I’m not sure of the names, my experience it’s the tomato sauce that makes the taste more than the cheese so it’s not that difficult to buy pizza sauce Ans sort of “half - make” a pizza, or even to make it from scratch which I have done once, even though it was thousands of years ago admittedly, lol 😄.Tc. Xx ps nice poem

• bosh

Hey T how are you? I’m not too bad thanks yes you’re right ultimately about aches and pains depressing though it is, it’s not like we can pinpoint the problems and solve each time I agree indeed, I suppose at the end of the day I just pretend I can and I called this “hope”, that came out a bit more poetic then I had anticipated, but you know what I mean 😄. I have now Seen the little poem by Ar yes, I mentioned to him that it was good. Okay I’m keeping it short because I’m already quite tired I really hope that your daughter has a lovely wedding tomorrow don’t worry about sending messages till you’ve fully enjoyed and recovered from the wedding experience I hope you have a great day take care. Xx

• bosh

hi Kitty how are you today? don’t worry I didn’t perceive any “tetchiness”, lol, I’m tetchy myself quite a lot of the time to be honest, especially after having the glorious mxt, I hope today is going better for you take care. X

• bosh

Hi Joan how are you and Sue doing today? I managed to have a good rest in the morning which doesn’t always happen, I’m feeling a bit tired now but not to the extreme which is good, my back is sort of medium pain but not constant thanks. I hope you’re having a nice Sunday afternoon take care yourselves, love Reshmi. Xx

• toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096

Hello all, dark and gloomy today.. and for the foreseeable, from what the 10-day forecast says.. BUT it's not damp, for Toni, which is the main thing - and let it be known to St Whatsit, that I'll have an extra dull day added to mine if they can possibly let you have a BIT of sun, at least, please. 😊🌞 Hope everything is going like clockwork ⏲️ and sorry not to call in sooner to wish you all the v v best, you will be in the middle of your evening in and glass of something by now (& of course not in here, in any case) but you will take my good wishes as read anyway. Hope not too early a start even if you are a lark not an owl 🦉 and your speech will be superb! 😊 Have a fantastic day all & look forward to pictures. Take care xx.

Love to everyone else, glad to hear your dear dogs have nice long coats Joan. Have a good start to the week. x

Hello Barbara :) yes, can we have some of those lighter Spring days you speak of, not too long now. I miss my local charity shops especially one or 2 with very good book dept., still far too nervous to go at the moment - have to make do with online but it's not the same is it! You don't get to ferret around in quite the same way. All the best to Mr. B xx

Best to Carol - Kitty, glad you had a better day, and yes, if you could manage to sneak a time machine carriage to the back of your train, I will definitely have a day return to the 80s please 😀 .

'night all xx

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280

Evening all

Toni tomorrow will be wonderful..I can't wait to see the pics..I don't think you will get much sleep tonight ..maybe the glass of something will help ..I am all excited and not even going 😂 yes hopefully the list of hips is getting shorter xx

Joan thankyou.. I think we all need a New hat for tomorrow's wedding 😁..hope you are all well xx

Kitty thankyou and I'm glad today has been a little better for you ..not long now till warmer weather xx

Reshmi you are right we do design your own pizza a dom**oes ..I think we all get tetchi with pain ...hope today has been a good one xx

Love to Mike and Vixen

Xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton

Morning everyone :)

Well here it is the BIG DAY is finally here I feel quite sick with excitement

Thank you all for your kind wishes I will do my best to keep calm.

I'll see you all on the other side and if I get the chance will send a sneaky pic or two👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩

must force some toast down and wash my hair 🙄

• Arthuritis
    edited 24. Jan 2022, 09:16

@frogmorton my little ditty doesn’t compare to your poetry, but it was one of those moments☺️

Enjoyed the virtual junk food brekkie! If you like Tim Spector then you’ll def like Dr Michael Greger, similar theme, but advises on the whys and wherefores of different foods backed by clinical studies, pros and cons. The most interesting one was busting the myth on virgin olive oil being good for arthritis if consumed. - Its only good if you apply it topically to the joint, not swallow it!

Enjoy the big day! And the yummy brekkie!

@Kitty I am not a big drinker either, but i like the anti-oxidant in red wine (alcohol free), and it tastes better than my green tea!

@bosh call me anything you like… AR, RA, Art 😂

On bad flare days I feel like a walking RA glowstick!

@dachshund Thanks, MTX dose kicked in yesterday so pain is quite bearable until the dose wears off closer to day 5. I need to think about splitting the dose so its flatter over 7 days.

• dachshund

Good afternoon everyone

Barbara ((())) they keep saying we will have some snow. have a good day love to everyone ((()))

Toady ((())) yes I want warmer weather is it in March we could have a good day

Toni ((())) the big day has come at last ((())) congratulations to Charley and Annie ((()))

Reshmi have a good day ((()))

Kitty I hope you have a good day ((()))

Mike and vixen ((()))

Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund

take care
    joan xx