Goods news on Elna

Options

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    A very good morning to Elizabeth, Ironic and Sue, :smile:

Yesterday I walked to the supermarket for a loaf of bread to have with homemade soup. I was able to squeeze my right foot into my MBT trainers and walk comfortably in them, so said foot must be less swollen but hopefully will get smaller. It is 6 months now since that op. No pain at all, just the foot is not as slim as it was so still having trouble getting that foot into shoes I used to wear before the op. I did feel a little wobbly, walking at times but that may be because MBT’s take a little time to get used to because of the rocker sole.

Good news, I can now lie on my side when sleeping. :grin: Could not do this at the beginning really. Bruising is fading on neck and half way down the front of my body – just a nice light shade of green now with a hint of red and mauve on the neck :roll: :lol: I am beginning to wonder what actually went on in the operating theatre, as the bruising goes so far down from my neck wound. :wink::smile: Bruising around the hip wound is still bright and still feels a little tender but I forget about it most of the time.

I am hoping my BP gets sorted soon too.. It most certainly is erratic, Ironic.

Enjoy the gymnastics, Elizabeth. :grin:

Bless little Ethan, Sue. Lola and family are back from a week in Lanzarote so I shall see her on Friday sometime. Sooooo looking forward to that. The phone rang yesterday and a little happy voice, said Hello Gran, I’ve been finding treasure on the beach! So thoughtful of my son to call me from there. He has sent over photos. I wish you the very best for Friday, Sue and hope you get one kiss at least. :grin: He has started something now

Love to you all,
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Strewth elna, look at you! I cannot believe how well you are getting on - I do hope that you are not over-doing matters and still resting when needed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear DD

I hope I am not overdoing it. I don't feel that I am.

Tomorrow I shall be going as a passenger in the car for the first time since being in the car for 10 minutes or so when I came home after the op. It is my lovely MIL's 93rd birthday and quite a few of us are taking her out for a meal, like we usually do on her birthday. I cannot believe how well she is for her age, takes no medication, falls occasionally because she has "foot drop" (probably caused by lower back pain from which she does suffer, but a hotwater bottle helps her) but never breaks anything, thank goodness and her BP is perfect. She goes out most days and usually returns home carrying two bags of shopping, one in each hand. She does walk slowly as she watches all the time where she is walking but who would not at 93! I do now! :lol:

I do hope your day is going ok,

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've watched where I am walking for years now, elna: old age has no fears for me, I'm living it already as I am regularly over-taken by the more nimble and fleet-footed OAPs in my area! :smile: Just be cautious my lovely, that's all I ask. DD
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I will be careful, DD. :smile: You are so kind.

I had a shower without help last night, so I have told the carer (Ian) I only need him for half an hour a week now to fetch or carry some shopping back for me. :lol::lol:

Love
    Elna x

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Elna you are doing brilliant things and beating me hands down in motion speed i feel slower than a snail x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    hi Elna you are doing brilliant things and beating me hands down in motion speed i feel slower than a snail x

Dear May, this post op recovery is totally no comparison with knee ops. It sounds a very scary op and I was absolutely petrified that all may not go well with working so near to the spinal cord, but the post recuperation, has been a breeze compared with a knee op. As you know I have had both knees done and I did not find it easy to get back on track. It was b****y hard work.

You are doing so well, give yourself a gentle pat on the back from me, :smile: you are also having to recuperate again after the first op did not go too well. You are fantastic.

Love
    Elna x

• bertyboy
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    bertyboy wrote:

Dear May, this post op recovery is totally no comparison with knee ops. It sounds a very scary op and I was absolutely petrified that all may not go well with working so near to the spinal cord, but the post recuperation, has been a breeze compared with a knee op. As you know I have had both knees done and I did not find it easy to get back on track. It was b****y hard work.

You are doing so well, give yourself a gentle pat on the back from me, :smile: you are also having to recuperate again after the first op did not go too well. You are fantastic.

Love
    Elna x
    hi Elna please dont think i am comparing our ops as i know yours does carry more risk , i do commend you for what you have achieved in such a short time thats all ,i know i will get there with my Ned but hes just sluggish at the moment , and seems slower than the actual TKR, just dont you push your self to hard xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear May, you will get there. You have that grit. More risks or whatever, with my latest op, the post op recuperation does appear to be easier than a knee op.I hope you have given yourself a gentle pat on the back from me. :smile: Ned and you will get on fine. :smile:

Love and hugs
    Elna x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I guess every silver lining has a cloud, Elna. I'm sorry you've now become too well to qualify for an assisted shower but I guess it's still an option as and when. I hope you have a lovely time with your remarkable mother-in-law tomorrow.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Thank you, Sticky. I felt I wished to try the showering on my own, as I was fairly confident that I would be able to do so and it was fine. Now I can choose how often and when I want a shower.Of course Ian will help me again, if need be. I know it will be a happy occasion tomorrow. None of them have seen my collar yet though. :roll: :wink: They have heard about it! My SIL and her daughter, will call at about 10.30 am and that gives time for little Darcy to have his bottle, them to have a cuppa and then we can go off and have some time with MIL before setting off to meet others at the restaurant along with Ian who will take a half day from work. She has had a difficult life, her husband dying early, bringing up 6 children, three plus triplets.Two of her children have died before her. She is a pastry queen and often sends us away/brings us homemade chicken pies/cornish pasties when someone brings her over by car. She still makes all the christmas puddings for the family and as the years have gone by and the family got larger she has made more and more. She makes and decorates special birthday/christening cakes etc, beautifully too.

I do hope that you are feeling ok with things. Thank you so much for taking an interest in my goings ons!

Love
    Elna x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Thank you, Sticky. I felt I wished to try the showering on my own, as I was fairly confident that I would be able to do so and it was fine. Now I can choose how often and when I want a shower.Of course Ian will help me again, if need be.

I understand completely. That’s why I prefer all the kerfuffle of organising my own bath. A bewildered Mr SW asked “Why are you so keen to be independent in the bath after about 30 years?” Answer – Because now I can. With the old bath lift I’d no choice. (But it’s still good to call him in as a back scrubber.)

I’m even more impressed with your mother-in-law now. What an amazing lady! Have a lovely day.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Elna

you are still doing fabuluously - l am so impressed with you :grin:

Hope you have/will enjoy/ed the meal out with your MIL. She is amazing l agree with sticky.

How lovely to hear Lola's voice on the phone...bless her 'treaure' eh? They are soooo sweet at that age.

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elna
    I wont be about for a week...on mi hols...so I will be thinking about you, and you carry on with the improvement.
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Elna

I hope you are having a lovely day at the birthday celebration of your mil.
    She really does sound to be an amazing lady I hope she enjoyed her birthday meal.

Take care
    love Juliepf x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Sticky, Tony, Barbara and Julie

Thank you for your messages. :smile: We all had a lovely time thank you. There were only 9 of us for the birthday lunch this year which was smaller than usual. It depends how many of the “workers” can take time off. The age range of the birthday lunch was 93 years to 6 months old. MIL never looks happier than with a babe in her arms. :grin: We went back to MIL’s and had tea and birthday cake. She lives with one of her daughters and husband. Although they all use the same front door, MIL has her own flat once inside.

Aw Sticky, that must be wonderful to have a bath when you want and as often as you want now after all that time.

Have a lovely holiday, Barbara, I shall have to have a look around the forum to see if you have mentioned where you are going.

I must admit that when we got home around 7.00 pm I felt exhausted, lay on top of the bed, reading and fell fast asleep.

I hope your day went well too,

Lots of love
    Elna x

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Hi Elna, I was delighted to hear you've all had such a great time with your wonderful mother in law. She sounds like a real trooper. You seem to be getting on brilliantly, there's no holding you back at all. :smile: I totally agree with your comments about Grandchildren. Mine have had such a profund effect on my life and outlook. Take good care,don't forget to pace yourself, big hugs. Rita. :smile:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Wow! What a lovely day that sounded to be, so many generations of the family all together - no wonder you were tired! I hope you had a reasonable night and that you are feeling OK today. Rest up a little, maybe? No? Thought not! :smile: DD
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    Wow, that sounds like my kinda party. Glad you had fun. Take it easy now ok? Jump in my pocket for my visit to have dressing done. I'll put some nice comfy cushions in there and a flask of something nice. xx Appointment not till 4.30pm
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Ritwen, DD and Sue

Thank you for calling in to chat. It is good to talk. :smile: Here, the sun is shining, so washing is on the line. :grin: Lola called in with her parents and they showed me lots of photos of their holiday in Lanzarote on the PC. They came home last night. So good of them to think to come over to see me, the next morning, when they will have so much to do after being away a week. They stayed just over 2 hours.

I did sleep very well last night and could have stayed in bed longer this morning but wished to be ready for my “visitors”. I have the rest of the day to “take it easy”. I shall DD, honest. :wink::smile:

I shall be in your pocket, Sue, hope the collar does not get in the way of anybody! :oops:

I hope you are all ok, :smile:

Love
    Elna x

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Elna,

Glad you enjoyed your day out with the family, my mum is 93 and thankfully still going strong so there is hope for me yet!

Not so sunny here but the washing is out with hope in my heart that it will actually dry. The freezer had a wobble yesterday so I had to transfer as much as I could to the other one in the garage, ended up not being able to get all the frozen fruit back so now I am up to the elbows in pastry crumbs making pies. The laugh is once I had defrosted the freezer and plugged it back in it came back to life and is working beautifully.

Oh well, gooseberry crumble for tea and a red and blackcurrant pie for tomorrow.

Lv, I x
  • bertyboy
    Options
    hi Elna so pleased you had a nice day with your mil she sounds a very special lady to you all young and old , I bet Lola was pleased to see you to xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    hi Elna so pleased you had a nice day with your mil she sounds a very special lady to you all young and old , I bet Lola was pleased to see you to xx

Dear May

You are such a lovely person, MIL is a very special person to her family which is pretty huge now,family has always been her life. She won a few thousand recently. It was a charity raffle that she has being supporting for years along with many others. What does she do? She buys herself a decent television, digital hearing aids and the rest she has shared with her children and grandchildren, may have even given to great grandchildren too. She said, what do I need money for? She ratiates warmth and goodness. I love her. Lola was full of her holiday.She is a very lucky girl. I do hope you are ok,

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    ironic wrote:
    Hi Elna,

Glad you enjoyed your day out with the family, my mum is 93 and thankfully still going strong so there is hope for me yet!

Not so sunny here but the washing is out with hope in my heart that it will actually dry. The freezer had a wobble yesterday so I had to transfer as much as I could to the other one in the garage, ended up not being able to get all the frozen fruit back so now I am up to the elbows in pastry crumbs making pies. The laugh is once I had defrosted the freezer and plugged it back in it came back to life and is working beautifully.

Oh well, gooseberry crumble for tea and a red and blackcurrant pie for tomorrow.

Lv, I x

Dear Ironic,

You are lovely too. Poor you with the freezer having a wobbly. Always one of my nightmares and I have no spare one to use! It is always jampacked with "stuff". You saw the funny side of it though, when it decided to behave after all. :roll: I am not sure I would have. At least it was only the fruit you could find no space for. Well, I am sure the pies will go down a treat. If you have a spare one, please send it over. Either goosegogs or red and blackcurrant, love them both.

Enjoy the pies. :grin: Actually you can freeze them now if you like as the freezer is now working. You can once the fruit is cooked can't you?

Love
    Elna x

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Glad to hear you are doing so well,keep up the good work.Mig