Goods news on Elna

Options

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So lovely to read you had a walk. The weather has been lovely.keep up the good work Elna.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear DD and Elizabeth,

Yes, the cooler weather suits me much, much better, even without the TEDs and neckbrace. I used to love the sun but for a good few years now, I cannot tolerate sitting out in brilliant sunshine for more than about 10 minutes, but can be out in it longer if pottering and moving about. I felt happy for those that love the sun and that it lasted until the weekend so the workers could enjoy a sunny couple of days too.

Again I was up and about at 400am for an hour this morning - restless legs, this seems to return with a vengeance after every op I have had. :roll: Nevermind, time is my own at the moment and the bed is not far away to "fall" gently into. :smile:

I hope you are both feeling not too bad today and that the rest of the goes smoothly for you.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Just popping in to see how you are doing Elna

l am still amazed at your progress. Horrible being up when the rest of the world is Zzzing. I remember you have kept a diary in the past and it has reassured you that these disturbed nights do eventually stop :smile:

Don't know what it's like your way but here the wind would blow you over!

Take care

Love

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Toni

Great to hear from you again. Yes, I do keep a diary and started with my first knee replacement in January 2008 and have kept it up ever since. Yes, I do know that the RLS will improve in time as it has done after the other ops. That is why I am up now hoping that when I get to bed I will sleep! :shock:

Today was good thank you, pottering, spending time on the forum, chatting on the phone, emailing, writing some cards with news in them, for birthdays and people I know will appreciate a card popping through their letter box. :smile: I made a loaf of bread to go with home made soup that was in the freezer and generally chilled out.

I am off to get some zeeeeeeeeeees now, hopefully.

I hope you are ok

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    dear Elna
    Sorry I haven't been around...im on a dongle for a few days...and we dont get on one bit....just to say I am still thinking about you..and hope your recovery is going really well.
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Barbara,

I am sorry that you are having probs getting on the forum. Day 4 was still the only blip and since then all is good.

Looking forward to another shower and afterwards Ian can - carefully - I hope - remove the waterproof plasters both from my hip and neck (ouch - that one could pull a little as it is a big plaster) and if both wounds are dry there is no need to replace with the clean waterproof plaster spares provided by the hospital on my discharge. So that will be one step forward. They could have been removed on days 5 - 7 but the ever careful Elna decided to wait.

Today has been a lovely day of pottering around and the weather has been just right, cooler than yesterday even. I had been given lots of cooking apples so stewed some of them up and froze them. Back to ironing and that seems ok to do so that it good. I did have a late start this morning as went to bed in the early hours to atry to avoid RLS so got up when Ian left for work and then went back to bed until 10.00 am - bliss and had a nap this afternoon too.

I hope you are all okish.

Love
    Elna x

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I'm delighted to hear you're doing so very well after your surgery. You've been through the mill but are coming out the other side and making a good recovery from the sounds of things. I hope you continue to do well.
    big hugs Rita.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Morrning Elna

Hope you had a much better sleep last night. Thought I would pop in here for the moment and I will reply to your pm later today, going to take my self out on that scooter for a bit of fresh air. No where exciting just to the local shops.
    I would like to thank you so very much for all the help and encouragement you are giving me while I wait for my op.

Will certainly (if I get one) trim up the collar for xmas and yes you mermaid and I can be the sparkly girls :grin:

Take Care
    Love and a massive hug (((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))
    Juliepf x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    ritwren wrote:
    I'm delighted to hear you're doing so very well after your surgery. You've been through the mill but are coming out the other side and making a good recovery from the sounds of things. I hope you continue to do well.
    big hugs Rita.

Dear Rita

Thank you for the hugs :grin: and good wishes, :grin: Ten days on and it is not too bad at all but it is a long time to wear the collar (3 months) but perhaps the time may lessen on how often in the day I will have to wear it. I do hope that you are wellish.

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    edited 7. Oct 2011, 05:04
    Options
    Dear Julie

I slept so well, thank you and so did Ian. :lol: I awoke at 8.45 am Eeek, it did not matter to me but Ian is meant to be in work at 9.00 am. :lol: He hates getting up in the morning so is used to getting out of the house fast and he did that in 15 minutes.

Enjoy the fresh air and your outing. Just being outside is lovely, it does not always have to be going somewhere exciting. :grin:

It looks like another cool dry day here. Just how I like the weather to be at the moment.

No worries regarding replying to my pm, Julie. Life cannot revolve totally by sitting at the pc. :wink::smile:

Love and gentle hugs
    Elna x

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ironing? IRONING? :shock: Flaming Norah woman, you had major neck surgery not that long ago. If it were me I would still be elegantly swooning on a chaise longue (neck brace and all), svelte in the most marvellous negligee/peignoir combo in lilac silk, the back of my hand pressed to my forehead, telling everyone in a breathless voice 'No! No! Please do not fuss, I am perfectly well!' to which there would be an answering chorus of adoring male voices 'Well? No, my darling, far from it, you are such a brave little woman, I could cry!' (Eat your heat out, Mills and Boon.)

Ironing? :roll: I admire your spirit, elnafinn. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    You're an inspiration Elna. Well done. Sending you lots of love and good wishes. xx
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • elnafinn
    Options
    :lol::lol: you made me laugh, DD.

Both plasters have been removed from the wounds, the neck one by me and the hip one by Ian and all looked good. There is a steri strip on each wound which the nurse mentioned to me on leaving the hospital. I am leaving that and hoping it just removes itself in time. Bruising is lessening and changing colour so progress there.

I do hope that you are still feeling very pleasantly well.

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    cloud9 wrote:
    You're an inspiration Elna. Well done. Sending you lots of love and good wishes. xx

Good morning, dear Sue,

Thank you so much for calling in. You are too kind. :smile: Thank you for the love and good wishes, gratefully accepted. I hope you are managing ok, you are also post op, aren't you?

Hugs
    Elna x

• cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    Yes, I am and hoping to get stitches out today. Also hoping to get a better idea of what he's done. Thankyou xx
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • elnafinn
    Options
    cloud9 wrote:
    Yes, I am and hoping to get stitches out today. Also hoping to get a better idea of what he's done. Thankyou xx

It does make it easier if you kind of know what is going on - I am sure your questions will be answered, Sue. You sound quite chirpy this morning which is lovely. I hope that I am right.

Love
    Elna x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Elna, I've not been around as much as usual but you are never far from my thoughts and I'm so pleased it's all going so well for you. I expect the collar will come into its own in the sort of winds we had yesterday. You could become a fashion icon. Hope you have a good weekend.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Elna, I've not been around as much as usual but you are never far from my thoughts and I'm so pleased it's all going so well for you. I expect the collar will come into its own in the sort of winds we had yesterday. You could become a fashion icon. Hope you have a good weekend.

Aw, SW, you are so sweet, thank you. I do hope that all is as well as can be, with you. :lol: this collar :roll: we are just about getting on with each other, tolerating would be a more appropriate word! Fashion icon, :lol::lol: not with my old face, as you can probably imagine this collar does not enhance looks and I need all the help I can get, without wearing this. :lol: Definitely no need to wear a scarf though!

Love
    Elna x

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Elna, I hope you are well today. I'm sure you will have some sun because I have :smile: washing out so hope it stays. I think you need a shower before or maybe just after stitches removed so get Ian ready :oops:
    Love
    Vonski x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Well its no good telling you to take it easy Elna but then you must be on a high that it is all over and with no hiccups. I'm with DD on this, I too would be feet up demanding cuppas and peace.

Now you haven't said much about the bone graft. I have been concerntrating on the fusion so much I forgot about it! How has that been?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Hi Elna

just popping in to check how you are doing. Good to hear the wounds are both looking healthy and the bruising is subsiding.

Hope the sleeping improves over time :???:

You take care

Love and hugs

Toni xx

Ps did somebody mention ironing?????????????? :shock:
  • elnafinn
    Options
    vonski wrote:
    Hi Elna, I hope you are well today. I'm sure you will have some sun because I have :smile: washing out so hope it stays. I think you need a shower before or maybe just after stitches removed so get Ian ready :oops:
    Love
    Vonski x

Dear Vonski,

We have got sun atm, I did not think we would get any today. :smile: Plasters over wounds gone - one step forward at least. Steristrips still there but I expect they will fall off in time. The stitches are dissolvable.

I hope the dry weather stays for you, Vonski to get the washing dry.

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Well its no good telling you to take it easy Elna but then you must be on a high that it is all over and with no hiccups. I'm with DD on this, I too would be feet up demanding cuppas and peace.
    Now you haven't said much about the bone graft. I have been concerntrating on the fusion so much I forgot about it! How has that been?Elizabeth

Dear Elizabeth, :lol: you know what i am like, don't you! Too silly and determined, sometimes for my own good. Ian has "told me off" a few times since I was discharged. You ask about the bone graft. All I know is that a piece of bone from my hip was taken and put into my neck. I have bruising on my hip and a small incision covered by the sterigrip. That is all I know. I am still finding that my voice is not as it was. More croaky than normal :roll: The neck in the incision area is of course still bruised and is swollen but I am not surprised at that one bit. Early days yet.

I hope you are ok,

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Elna, just popping in to check how you are doing. Good to hear the wounds are both looking healthy and the bruising is subsiding.Hope the sleeping improves over time :???:You take care
    Love and hugs,Toni xx

Ps did somebody mention ironing?????????????? :shock:

Thank you dear Toni. Slept really well last night. I did the exercise recommended by a friend who suffers from RLS. That is standing facing the wall with hands on wall and move body towards wall, leaving feet where they are. The muscles in the back of the legs pull. Anyway, I slept like a log - whether it was doing the exercise, not sure but will do it again tonight. :wink: Hope all is good with you and yours.

Love
    Elna x

ps Ironing was mentioned - why, would you like some done? :wink:

• mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Hi Elna,

You are doing SO well and making incredible progress, even though it may not feel like it, incarcerated in that neck brace. Dont overdo the ironing, hope you've got a very light iron :?:

I remember the sexy croak, in fact I didnt have a voice at all at first after the last neck op (peace for my hubby!) The surgeon explained that they have to move 'everything' to one side to get at the cervical spine, so the vocal cords get a bit disturbed. I told him I didnt need any more details, just glad it was all over :smile:

Hope you keep going from strength to strength, remember to get plenty of rest with the weekend coming up and maybe more visitors.

Take good care,
    Love Lizx
    PS Thanks for your reply to me, I'll just add I'm not really brave, just take each day as it comes like we all do on here. I still think I'm lucky, whatever happens to the old bodxx